Your Most Interesting BMs (Benchmarks)

Criminal

This is for hunters with a dozen or so successful finds.

What single most interesting benchmark you have recovered (or not)? You only need post the link to the benchmark so we can all read your report. I think everyone involved in this would find your reports interesting. Please don’t restrict yourself to only one either, if there are two or three, post them as well. I notice as I go through the gallery that a good many of them are water towers or churches etc. I’m most interested in the ones that required laborious or detective-like searches.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

This one was probably my most interesting, just for the drive there. The road was really rough, almost too much so for my Subaru. The view was beautiful though, and was well worth the trip alone--the benchmark was an added bonus. I had to cross through a creek on the way back (rain and flash-flooding had made the water level rise more than a foot since I had first gone through), and I cut the sidewall on one of my tires going through the creek. All-in-all, it was still a worthwhile experience.

As far as laborious goes, The most physically challenging one I have been to is Bernal, in Northern New Mexico. Its an easy drive to the base of Starvation Peak, not far from the freeway, but the climb is pretty difficult. I actually had to make several trips over some sections of the climb, since I had a lot of equipment to carry to the top. Its a very historic place, where the Native Americans sieged and starved a group of Spaniards to death. It was a major landmark long before NGS got there, marking a corner of one of the largest Spanish land grants in the west. Those in the east may want to look at the description of Bernal in the NGS database to get some idea of how spectacular some of the tri-station locations out west are. In fact, there are many in the Rockies and the Sierras that can only be accessed by helicopter.

kc7feq, that last pic is freaking awesome!

Let me clarify, I’m looking for the benchmarks that made you feel a real sense of accomplishment. Where you felt like a detective with the painstaking way you used logic and deduction to arrive at the benchmark.

-OR-

A benchmark that was an exciting adventure in the way you had to find it.

I’m looking for logs that you entered into the system where you wish you had the rest of us along to share in your success.

For me, the most exciting (so far) was

this one. I know it may not seem exciting to you but it was a lot of fun on my lunch hour.

As for adventure, this one was an adventure that is still with me (in the form of a poison ivy rash).

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

First, finding a benchmark on the front lawn of Mattoon city hall that had been reported missing by the USGS in the early 80's. It seems not to be in the Groundspeak database so I haven't been able to log it. I did submit a recovery to the NGS though.

The other is MONADNOCK. It was one hell of a climb for me. Consider that from the bottom to the top of Illinois is about 1000 ft. From the main Monadnock parking lot to the top is approximately 1800 ft. I was quite pleased with myself when I finally made it to the top. The weather was excellent and the view was beautiful. Plus there is a cache at the top too. I look forward to climbing it again the next time I'm in New Hampshire.

rdw

I've only sought one benchmark and used it as a log on the benchmark LC, but all I know is I saw a thread titled "your most interesting BM's"... the (benchmarks) part was left out due to space.

so I'm thinking, what an off-topic-topic for the forums. How personal am I supposed to get? Then I come here and see that BM meant benchmark.

icon_eek.gif

OH.

Guess I won't be posting that intersting story behind why I put campers toilet paper in the You Bug Me cache.

icon_biggrin.gif

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I've only sought one benchmark and used it as a log on the benchmark LC, but all I know is I saw a thread titled "your most interesting BM's"... the (benchmarks) part was left out due to space.

so I'm thinking, what an off-topic-topic for the forums. How personal am I supposed to get? Then I come here and see that BM meant benchmark.

icon_eek.gif

OH.

Guess I won't be posting that intersting story behind why I put campers toilet paper in the You Bug Me cache.

icon_biggrin.gif

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

To date I have not found any too interesting...but this one is perhaps my favorite so far. I had to climb over rocks along the edge of the sea to get to it. Also had a bunch of tourists on the pier right across from it watch me record it. There were several of these Tidal survey disks in Trinidad Harbor (California). There are older BM's within about 20 miles of my house to be found, but this is the oldest I've found so far.

-UA