Anyone find any money in these caches?

Im new to geocaching, its alot of fun so far and my children LOVE it. To make it even more fun I have started putting Cash in the best caches Iv found so far. its not alot of Money but I think it will be more rewarding for the adults. Should I stick to just the kids stuff or up the Prizes with $ too. ???

Im new to geocaching, its alot of fun so far and my children LOVE it. To make it even more fun I have started putting Cash in the best caches Iv found so far. its not alot of Money but I think it will be more rewarding for the adults. Should I stick to just the kids stuff or up the Prizes with $ too. ???

I put money in one yesterday.

I think it's a bad idea to start adding money to caches but I needed to leave something because I was taking a knife out of a cache and didn't have any swag with me to trade so money was the best I could do.

I put money in one yesterday.

I think it's a bad idea to start adding money to caches but I needed to leave something because I was taking a knife out of a cache and didn't have any swag with me to trade so money was the best I could do.

You were removing an illegal item from the cache no need to trade.

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Old coins (out of circulation), foreign coins, rare coins and banknotes (like the $2 bill) are great to be placed and found as swag. Some cachers place a $10+ bill as a prize for the FTF. I'm not too fond of money placed in caches, I prefer finding a $0.50 McToy instead of a $1 bill, or a $6 unactivated geocoin instead of the $10 prize.

I don't think putting money (i.e. legal tender) into a cache is a good idea. It is likely to be stolen and I don't know how to trad fair. Take out a Dollar bill and put in two half-dollars? :grin:

Old money (out of use) is another topic, that's ok for me.

I also prefer the kids stuff. In general, I trade seldom, but I usually have some miniature torches (flash lights) with me or some other more or less useful stuff to trade, just in case.

About the illegal items: If I find something in a cache that can be dangerous, like lighters/matches (especially in forrests!), medicine, knives or food items (that may be attract wild animals) I take them out with no comment and no trade.

I've left a few dollars in caches, stamped and entered on Where'sGeorge.com.

I learned about geocaching through the wheres George hobby, so I think it's fitting to put them together.

I also like to leave a two dollar bill in caches that I get the FTF on, as a consolation prize for the second finder. :(

I went to the bank and got a roll ($25) of Zachary Taylor Presidential dollars. I put one in a cache today.

My friend PMOGUY put out a cache on a mountaintop that it took me 1.6 hours from the trailhead to get to.

I took the $10 bill he left for FTF and left 2 presidential dollars.

When I had them, I used to leave some .05 Euro coins and other foreign coins.

Seen and traded lots of foreign coins... and found some $5 FTFs as well... as a coin collector as well (circulated coins) I will trade out any coins I find in caches for whatever I have with me... and admit to have traded coins from my pocket on a couple of occasions: one where there was a travel pack of kleenex in the cache (and really needed one) and another for a mixed CD when all my radio was getting was C.& RAP... really liked the "Caching Tunes" mix so was a good trade for some $5.00 in coins...

I don't think putting money (i.e. legal tender) into a cache is a good idea. It is likely to be stolen and I don't know how to trad fair. Take out a Dollar bill and put in two half-dollars? :unsure:

Old money (out of use) is another topic, that's ok for me.

I also prefer the kids stuff. In general, I trade seldom, but I usually have some miniature torches (flash lights) with me or some other more or less useful stuff to trade, just in case.

About the illegal items: If I find something in a cache that can be dangerous, like lighters/matches (especially in forrests!), medicine, knives or food items (that may be attract wild animals) I take them out with no comment and no trade.

Same here, although I do trade out for the change I usually find in caches with at least that amount or higher in interesting swag. I have a jar I keep all my "Caching cash" in and will use it to buy caching items when needed.

Also, I make a note of the "illegal items" i removed on the cache page. It lets the next person coming along know that those items are not appropiate (alot of new cachers have no clue...nor common sense at times) and it also gives a small jab (as a reminder not meant as insult) to the cache owner who may not check on his or her caches very often and do any type of routine maintence.

If we've hiked after a cache and have not carried trade goods due to the extra weight, found the perfect item we just have to have in the container, we always leave cash! We don't see a problem with putting actual money in a cash if you can do it. It sure makes the smaller containers a LOT more interesting for kids!!

Edited by jm8578

I think if money is placed in the cache there should be no obligation to trade for it and you should just be able to take it. I say this only because I think it is very hard to trade for money. Unless its foreign or collectible money then thats different

Edited by YAYALEC