Did i mess up ?

I got an e-mail today from a person asking about a cache i found last week in another town. They were asking for a hint as they were having trouble finding it. I figured they were asking me because i was the last to find it.

Well being a nice guy who likes to help out fellow cachers i gave them a good hint. Then out of curiosity i looked at their profile and it seems like they just registered last week,the same day i found the cache and they dont have any finds or any activity since. This has me wondering if this is someone who saw us out there(cemetery) and has figured out what is going on and is intent on stealing the cache. What do you do when getting hint request from people you dont know? Guess it's a good idea to look at a profile first.

I think you did the right thing. For someone new to the game, the first few finds could be rather tough and could require a hint. If I ask for a hint, I'll often ask the most recent finder as the most recent finder has the best information.

As far as your concerns that it is someone intent on doing harm, if they saw you and want to muggle the cache, they probably don't need you to tell them where it is. After all, they would have seen you at the cache site. Moreover, how would they know about the web site unless they either (1) had already found the cache in question, or (2) were actually cachers.

I think you did the right thing. For someone new to the game, the first few finds could be rather tough and could require a hint. If I ask for a hint, I'll often ask the most recent finder as the most recent finder has the best information.

As far as your concerns that it is someone intent on doing harm, if they saw you and want to muggle the cache, they probably don't need you to tell them where it is. After all, they would have seen you at the cache site. Moreover, how would they know about the web site unless they either (1) had already found the cache in question, or (2) were actually cachers.

^That makes sense to me.

True,guess i just got a little concerned when i saw that they just registered the day i found the cache. Probably nothing but i'm going to put it on my watchlist for a while anyway.

You didn't mess up. It sounds like a first time cacher asking previous finders for a hint because they can't find the cache.

I get phone calls from local cachers occasionally and am happy to give a bit of help, as long as I'm not spoiling the intended caching experience. If it's a 5 star hide I won't tell them exactly what to do and where to look, but will give a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

If it's a simple drive-by micro or something I'll happily tell them where it is.

I agree with Briansnat that it is the cache owner's perogative to give out hints, and am a bit shocked seeing all these replies that imply that it was OK to help out this person in that way. Send them to the cache owner!

This is not to beat up on the OP for possibly helping out a wannabe muggle... I'm speaking in more general terms.

The date may make me question this, but outside of that, there are a lot of cachers that don't log online. I come across names all the time in the physical logs that are not on the online logs.

There are even users here in the forums that state that they don't log a lot or any of their finds online.

Some of the names I can't find online, others have zero or a very low find count, and many of those even have premium accounts (presumably so they can run pq's). Some will log as notes instead of finds, which doesn't reflect in their find count and doesn't link the logs to their profile.

Helping is helping.

If someone asks for help, I give it.

The whole "Direct them to the CO is bogus. It's like someone who is broke down on the freeway asking for help and saying "call AAA".

Why is it easier to email a finder for help than to email the cache owner for help (assuming the cache owner is still active, of course)?
Helping is helping.

The whole "Direct them to the CO is bogus. It's like someone who is broke down on the freeway asking for help and saying "call AAA".

Why is it easier to email a finder for help than to email the cache owner for help (assuming the cache owner is still active, of course)?

Who says it is?

Some cache owners like to stump cachers. It's a small factoid of life.

I have gotten more hints from finders than owners. Just sayin.

Edited by bittsen
Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Another small factoid of life is that there is something called "etiquette". Just sayin'
Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Another small factoid of life is that there is something called "etiquette". Just sayin'

Please explain to us N00bees where we can find the geocaching etiquette guide.

Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Not sure where the etiquette says that all requests for help must be directed to the cache owner. It's a fact of life that once your cache is found you have no control over spoilers. People post spoilers in their found logs and even if you as the owner deletes these logs it may be too late and someone else has seen it. And you certainly can't follow all the finders of your cache around and make sure they aren't discussing your cache with their friends or giving advice to anyone that asks.

If the cache owner put out a 1/1 hide, I figure he doesn't really care if I tell someone to look under the lamp post skirt. Even if it is some clever cammo job, I figure the cache owner still isn't going to mind if I point someone in the right direction (just so long as it isn't an outright spoiler). Same for most puzzles. I have no problem giving hints because I expect that is what people do with my caches.

If anything I worry more about spoiling something for the finder. I know I like to figure out the tough ones for myself and I don't like it when either the cache owner or another finder gives me an unsolicited hint. That turns out to be one reason to not log DNFs. But if someone is resigned to asking for help, they should be helped. Unless I know for sure that the wishes of the cacher owner is to not give out help. (But then I might wonder about the cache owner's motivation. Doesn't he want people to find his cache?)

Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

I don't know about you, but I was raised with an awareness of politeness.
Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Doesn't matter if you're new or old hat, seems like common sense would kick in here. I as a cache owner would not appreciate another person giving out hints on my caches. This goes double for the more challenging hides i might have set out. It's my cache and i'm the one who get's to decide how much help, if any, i want to give out if someone asks.

Doesn't matter if you're new or old hat, seems like common sense would kick in here. I as a cache owner would not appreciate another person giving out hints on my caches. This goes double for the more challenging hides i might have set out. It's my cache and i'm the one who get's to decide how much help, if any, i want to give out if someone asks.

But you don't get to decide. Short of following all the finders of your cache around to make sure no one gives spoilers out, all you can do is ask. If you don't ask explicitly, I'd have no problem giving help if someone asks. If you do ask, I would likely respect your request, but I might tell someone who asks to just put your cache on his ignore list.

Earlier today I composed the following message in response to this thread but didn't post it.

It's my cache so I get to control it! :grin:

Come on now. You hide a cache so people can go find it, and once you've put out a cache you can't control the reason a person finds it, whether they find it the way you "intended", or whether they got any help. I you are unable to accept this the only choice you have is to archive your cache.

Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Doesn't matter if you're new or old hat, seems like common sense would kick in here. I as a cache owner would not appreciate another person giving out hints on my caches. This goes double for the more challenging hides i might have set out. It's my cache and i'm the one who wants to decide how much help, if any, i want to give out if someone asks.

Fixed that for you.

Ah. For some of my stranger mystery caches, I am always amused at logs that read 'Got help from another cacher.' But, they signed the log, so they earned the smiley. More fun are the cachers who found it completely by accident! Go for it! Sign log - get smiley. I would never dictate that they must find it as I hoped that they would. Also noted that few of the finders asked me for a hint. Oh, well. That would have been nicer (not that I am noted for give-away hints). But, they signed the log!

Helping is helping.

It's not. Email is email.

The response to that email however is another story altogether.

Helping is helping.

It's not. Email is email.

The response to that email however is another story altogether.

im a newb i took my family out on our first cache however we found the spot but no cache i was curious if the cache had been discovered and removed so i asked the owner to contact me with either a further clue to confirm the loc and also so i could tell the owner were i thought it was without publicly exposing the area and spoiling the cache for everyone else but to this day no contact so i have put my experience down to a muggle

im a newb i took my family out on our first cache however we found the spot but no cache i was curious if the cache had been discovered and removed so i asked the owner to contact me with either a further clue to confirm the loc and also so i could tell the owner were i thought it was without publicly exposing the area and spoiling the cache for everyone else but to this day no contact so i have put my experience down to a muggle

That's odd... the owner of that cache appears to be a very active cacher.
Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Doesn't matter if you're new or old hat, seems like common sense would kick in here. I as a cache owner would not appreciate another person giving out hints on my caches. This goes double for the more challenging hides i might have set out. It's my cache and i'm the one who wants to decide how much help, if any, i want to give out if someone asks.

Fixed that for you.

Thanks! :o

You are, of course, right. Although i would like to be the one who decides how much help to give out on caches i own, i have no control on how much is given on them by others. Still, i would hope that most cachers would be respectful of the cache owner and refer any queries for help to said cache owner.

this brings up an interesting point.

I have a cache were many many cachers have stated that they phoned a previous finder for a hint, and only once have I ever been emailed for a hint on said cache.

I don't really care tho, if everyone who "phoned a friend" emailed me, I would be so annoyed with the constant barage of questions I would just move the cache. Its not that I don't want to give out hints, I do give out hints for those who ask me, but I would just get sick of repeating myself.

If they made it sound like they phoned and asked for the location before they looked then that would bug me, but fron what I gather, it's a last resort for them, and I was really going for the "ah ha!" moment with that hide, and I figure you would still get it if someone helped you after you searched for a while.

Helping is helping.

Who says it is?

Fixed that for you.

Thanks! :o

You are, of course, right. Although i would like to be the one who decides how much help to give out on caches i own, i have no control on how much is given on them by others. Still, i would hope that most cachers would be respectful of the cache owner and refer any queries for help to said cache owner.

BTW. I wasn't intending to be rude. I agree with you but it is what it is.

this brings up an interesting point.

I have a cache were many many cachers have stated that they phoned a previous finder for a hint, and only once have I ever been emailed for a hint on said cache.

I don't really care tho, if everyone who "phoned a friend" emailed me, I would be so annoyed with the constant barage of questions I would just move the cache. Its not that I don't want to give out hints, I do give out hints for those who ask me, but I would just get sick of repeating myself.

If they made it sound like they phoned and asked for the location before they looked then that would bug me, but fron what I gather, it's a last resort for them, and I was really going for the "ah ha!" moment with that hide, and I figure you would still get it if someone helped you after you searched for a while.

Yeah. While I would prefer that I, as cache owner, get to be the one to offer hints, I do know that it happens, and despite what I've said in this thread on the matter, I don't let it ruffle my feathers. It happens, and I do it, too.

The problem here of course is that both positions are reasonable, within etiquette, and commonsensical.

It is reasonable for a cache owner to not want others to give hints, it is polite to defer to this wish and common sense that he may desire it.

It is reasonable to respond to a person asking for help, potentially rude not to help, and common sense that helping a person is a good thing.

It just goes to show you that two diametrically opposed positions can be held by well-intentioned people. Like many things geocaching, cache and let cache.

Everytime this subject comes up I think of the NPR show Weekend Edition with Liane Hansen. Each week she has a listener chosen to solve puzzle on the air in a segment with "puzzlemaster" Will Shortz. When the listener is having trouble Will Shortz will give hints. But sometimes, Liane will shout out a real spoiler or even the answer. I never see Will Shortz get upset that Liane Hansen has spoiled his puzzle. Nor does the constestant ever complain that Liane answered instead of given him the chance to solve the puzzle. Of course the time constraints on the show may dictate that answers are given out to move the show along when the contestant appears to be stuck. However, I find it instructive that Will Shortz, who makes his living designing puzzles for people to solve, does not get upset when someone else gives help to a person working his puzzles. If anything, he seems to encourage it, as it makes doing the puzzle more enjoyable instead of being frustrating because it is too hard. If "puzzlemaster" Will Shortz can accept that people will give help to others working his puzzles, why can't a puzzle geocache owner accept this?