dipping trackables

JL_HSTRE

I know to "dip" a trackable like a TravelBug I can drop off the item when I log my find then go into the trackable and retrieve it again.

But it would be really nice if there was a feature that let you dip the bug at once, in-and-out, without having to drop it then retrieve it. Especially if you are logging many caches and dipping a TB in many of them.

Everyone plays the game differently, but I've never seen a reason to dip bugs. I'v'e had bugs dipped through my hides when the owner didn't visit the cache. So to support the request, could someone explain the reasons for dips?

Personal tracking items, dipped for the milage.

A traveler may have a mission, but the cache isn't big enough to hold it, dipping gets it to the cache -and completes the mission.

eg visit caches with a 'Z' in the name

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I recently dipped a bug four or five times. I'd bring the TB with me to a cache, in some cases to specifically place it in the cache, and then (blame it on old age )I'd forget to leave it. I did this several times and became so disgusted with myself that I figured since I did have the bug with me I'd go ahead and log them in the caches as being dipped.

That reminds me I've got a bug I'd better move...

Awhile back I suggested they add a "Journal" log box UNDER the Cache Page Log box.

This would REPLACE travel bug dipping, but still count miles.

Neither Jeremy nor whoever got my email I sent to geocaching.com responded to the suggestion.

I have since GIVEN UP trying to journal my finds AT ALL with the use of a TB because it's such an enormous waste of time:

1) Write Log & Drop TB

2) Goto TB Page, Retrieve TB

3) Write Journal Entry

4) Delete Drop Log from TB Page

5) Rinse and Repeat on next cache...

50 Caches in a day is WAY too much to log in this manner...

I started doing Step 4 because I noticed that when I viewed my Travel Bug in Google Earth, most of the time it had two locations for a given cache, and they were quite a distance apart sometimes. So I started deleting the blank drop logs.

I know some people would consider that the Journaling should be done on the actual cache page itself, but there are things I put in the Journal entries that I would NOT put on the cache log, like spoilers, or spoiling photos, etc...

Lastly, now that I use the iPhone exclusively, logging with TB (prior to 4.0) was impossible. And even after 4.0, dipping is impossible. So switching to the iPhone took away this aspect of caching for me.

Edited by Digitalfuzz

Awhile back I suggested they add a "Journal" log box UNDER the Cache Page Log box.

This would REPLACE travel bug dipping, but still count miles.

Neither Jeremy nor whoever got my email I sent to geocaching.com responded to the suggestion.

I have since GIVEN UP trying to journal my finds AT ALL with the use of a TB because it's such an enormous waste of time:

1) Write Log & Drop TB

2) Goto TB Page, Retrieve TB

3) Write Journal Entry

4) Delete Drop Log from TB Page

5) Rinse and Repeat on next cache...

50 Caches in a day is WAY too much to log in this manner...

I started doing Step 4 because I noticed that when I viewed my Travel Bug in Google Earth, most of the time it had two locations for a given cache, and they were quite a distance apart sometimes. So I started deleting the blank drop logs.

I know some people would consider that the Journaling should be done on the actual cache page itself, but there are things I put in the Journal entries that I would NOT put on the cache log, like spoilers, or spoiling photos, etc...

Lastly, now that I use the iPhone exclusively, logging with TB (prior to 4.0) was impossible. And even after 4.0, dipping is impossible. So switching to the iPhone took away this aspect of caching for me.

I understand the difficulty of what you are trying to do and why you would want to use a travel bug in this manner. It's the thing that not only psychically goes with you, but also traces/follows/maps your personal geocaching journey online.

I think we need to let travel bugs be travel bugs and leave these little guys to journey on their own through the community. Journaling, personal tracking, and everything else we are trying to do should not be placed on the back of a TB. We shouldn't change what a travel bug does best.

I think your personal profile would be the place to track you. That's where I would ask for an upgrade.

My cache finds would show on a map, and I don't have to back-log after purchasing a travel bug or coin just to show where I've been. Allow people to 'found' me, once they've met me on the street or trail - No tracking number necessary. Give me a personal log that I can choose to share with public/friends that doesn't require searching through cache listings.

etc.,etc.,etc.

edit: clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

I would really like to see a "Dip" choice as well, allowing you to drop and retrieve any number of trackables from your inventory into and out of a cache in one click. It would make this process much simpler, and help reduce some of the clutter in the logs for caches. My suggestion would be to add two check boxes on the "Post A New Log" page in the section for trackables - one for "Drop" and one for "Dip (drop and retrieve)".

I do not use dipping much for personal trackables like car tags (usually only for events), but I have dipped other peoples' trackables on a number of occasions, such as when I am able to fulfill multiple parts of a goal for a bug, or am going to a series of caches that the owner would be interested in having their trackable visit. I just did this with a collection of TBs when I visited the Original Stash, the Mission Nine APE cache, and GW VIII.

The most common need for this is when the previous person moved the bug but did not log it. To help it maintain the correct miles and properly document its journey, I have to dip it in the cache I found it in first, and then retrieve it again so I can move it to the next cache. For this purpose, it would be great to have a "Dip" log available as a choice on the TB page where you could then enter the cache GC code.

Awesome! Now all we need is a "dip" or "visit" log option on the trackable page that lets you dip the trackable into a cache. This would be really helpful for the common situation where you find a TB in a cache, but it was not properly dropped into it by the previous person (they dropped it in the wrong cache, or just forgot to drop it).

Edited by SLO Trekker

YAY!

With the recent site upgrade, TB dips are accomplished with ease!

I am now able to 'retro-dip' my personal coin in less than one quarter of the time as before!

Shiva be praised!

Maybe it was Ganesha?

Nope, it was just the frog. :shocked:

And now all my Geocoins are stranded in my collection, with no way for me to put them in my inventory so I can dip them. (no emoticon for 'really pissed off')

The frog giveth, and then the frog taketh away. :laughing:

YAY!

I am now able to 'retro-dip' my personal coin in less than one quarter of the time as before!

Shiva be praised!

Maybe it was Ganesha?

And now all my Geocoins are stranded in my collection, with no way for me to put them in my inventory so I can dip them. (no emoticon for 'really pissed off')

I wish I understood what you're experiencing... I spoofed your account login and saw the "move to inventory" links so I know they're there. Sorry to ask such an elementary question, but have you tried a different browser?

YAY!

Shiva be praised!

Maybe it was Ganesha?

I wish I understood what you're experiencing... I spoofed your account login and saw the "move to inventory" links so I know they're there. Sorry to ask such an elementary question, but have you tried a different browser?

Yup.

Different browser

Different OS

Different computer

Same results

YAY!

Shiva be praised!

Maybe it was Ganesha?

Yup.

Different browser

Different OS

Different computer

Same results

Correction.

Four different OS/four different computers

Three different browsers

Same results

I have been automatically signed out by the recent update, and have signed in again since.

One of my comps is a win7 machine with the latest IE, and Firefox 3.6.

One way of moving it to inventory is to go to a particular trackable and log a "move to inventory".

I have a coin that I can't seem to move to my collection no matter what I do, but that is a different problem.

I'm seeing a new mileage bug when going back through our totem coin and dipping in earthcaches and webcams. The mileage recalculates to that dip, but then the mileage disappears for the next drop.

See here for an example: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...726&page=70

The last log on the page (as of today -- and we're not caching this weekend so it should stay for a while) shows that the coin traveled .39 miles from the last cache to 1st Night VA!. The next log has nothing in the space for distance traveled. "Mr. Jefferson's Rotunda" is around 2 miles away, and in fact I saw that the coin's total miles decreased 2 miles.

Odd.

YAY!

Shiva be praised!

Maybe it was Ganesha?

Nope, it was just the frog. :anibad:

The frog giveth, and then the frog taketh away. :cry:

Yup.

Different browser

Different OS

Different computer

Same results

Correction.

Four different OS/four different computers

Three different browsers

Same results

I have been automatically signed out by the recent update, and have signed in again since.

One of my comps is a win7 machine with the latest IE, and Firefox 3.6.

The last time I did this it was in the drop-down menu on the trackable's page.

Now I (finally) see that there are links to 'INVENTORY' and 'COLLECTION' right after 'TRACKABLES(Mine)'

Problem solved. :anibad:

Love the new dip feature.......one thing, however, that I have noticed, is that it updates the mileage and map, but if you look on your list of trackables, the last log date is still the previous real log, not visit. Anyone else notice this. Not sure if this is by design or a "feature"

Being a totally new player and looking at all this from a noobies point of view, Isn't dipping unethical? From all that I have read about the game, and thats not much, I had assumed, rightly or wrongly that TB's were used to track something that was placed by one person and moved on by another. It seems pointless to drive your own TB around the country and claim the travel mileage for that TB. Now a sticker on your car or bike is a different matter.

Perhaps if I ask somebody to sign a log for me I can claim I have found a cache and add it to my collection....totally pointless.

It is not my intention to upset people with this observation, and I fully understand if I have said something out of turn. My only defense is that I am learning and old....Osi

Being a totally new player and looking at all this from a noobies point of view, Isn't dipping unethical? From all that I have read about the game, and thats not much, I had assumed, rightly or wrongly that TB's were used to track something that was placed by one person and moved on by another. It seems pointless to drive your own TB around the country and claim the travel mileage for that TB. Now a sticker on your car or bike is a different matter.

Perhaps if I ask somebody to sign a log for me I can claim I have found a cache and add it to my collection....totally pointless.

It is not my intention to upset people with this observation, and I fully understand if I have said something out of turn. My only defense is that I am learning and old....Osi

As another newbie, who was going to dip, and looked into the matter, I agree with you. Now don't you all yell at me now.

Everyone plays the game differently, but I've never seen a reason to dip bugs. I'v'e had bugs dipped through my hides when the owner didn't visit the cache. So to support the request, could someone explain the reasons for dips?

Entertainment for the 'kiddies' would be my best guess.

Typically dipping is when the travel bug did in fact visit the cache but wasn't left behind. This may be because the cache was too small to hold the bug, or the cacher was continuing the journey.

Say the bug mission was to visit ballparks. The cacher takes the bug to a local ballpark and the only cache on the premise is a micro cache. So the cacher signs the cache log, takes a few photos of the bug on home-plate and goes and finds a bigger cache to place the bug. Then online when they log the micro they Drop and Retrieve the bug (or now called visited) so it gets credit for having been there.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a travel bug hat. I dip it in each event that I wear the hat to. I have a travel bug on my car, yep, that is also dipped. I like the neat maps. Others have a personal coin that is dipped to keep track of the travels from cache to cache. I have a coin the owner has requested that it is not to be placed in a cache. I dip it as I go. I own a coin that has been picked up by an airline pilot. He dips it on his travels and when he goes on vacation with his family. That sucker has racked up the miles and visited several countries. I see nothing unethical with this activity. In the case of my coin I'm happy it is being dipped instead of dropped and going missing.

I had assumed, rightly or wrongly that TB's were used to track something that was placed by one person and moved on by another.

As another newbie, who was going to dip, and looked into the matter, I agree with you. Now don't you all yell at me now.

I will respectfully disagree....IMHO the only time it becomes unethical is if the owner of the TB, who truthfully is the only one who's wishes matter, has asked that the bug not be dipped. I dip bugs for several reasons.

1. as stated by others, you are helping towards it's mission and can achieve several steps along the journey.

2. I take it to a cache in keeping with it's mission, but don't feel safe in leaving it there or it won't fit.

3. I have somewhere cool in mind to take it, but it may be a while before I can get it there....dip it in the meantime so the owner knows it hasn't fallen off the face of the earth.

That is just a few....I'm sure I could think of others. Just my opinion.

My respectfull reply would be.

1. Let it make its own way along the route. Half the fun is seeing what route it takes.

2. If you take it to place in a cache and it doesn't fit then keep it until you find one it does fit in. No need to dip it.

3. A simple email to let the owner know your intentions is all it needs. No need to dip it!

But what do I know......

So what do you do if the goal is to visit virtual caches? :)

We're probably drifting away from the original topic. Feel free to stop by the travel bug forum if you'd like to discuss it further. You'll get a wider range of response as most people aren't digging down into this change request thread.

1. Let it make its own way along the route. Half the fun is seeing what route it takes.

2. If you take it to place in a cache and it doesn't fit then keep it until you find one it does fit in. No need to dip it.

3. A simple email to let the owner know your intentions is all it needs. No need to dip it!

But what do I know......

I sure am glad that you posted this.

Thanks. :):):)

But what do I know......

I sure am glad that you posted this.

Thanks. :):):)

Here's another thread you might be interested in. Log Maximizer Script Updated - Now can "Auto-Dip" selected trackables

Unethical? Hmm. Unethical is when the doctor comes into my patients room and forces them to have surgery against their will.

I find it hard to apply ethics to a TB. I mean, really.

My personal TB hangs on my cache bag. It goes to each cache I go to and physically touches each cache. It's cool. Why people care so much about what other people do still baffles me to this day...

My personal geocoin travels to each cache with me and I use it to see how far I've gone. This does not force anyone to do anything they don't want to do nor does it impact that game of others. The coin always remains in my possession.

I will also dip travel items that have specific missions and if I can't find a large enough cache to place it in to go with that mission. Sometimes I take pictures of travel bugs at caches they won't fit in. I can dip and then attach the picture to that log. I currently have in my possession a travel bug and I know the owner likes old cemeteries. I will likely dip it in the caches we visit on our trip at those cemeteries before ultimately dropping it off.

Dipping also makes it easier for me to straighten out hte where abouts of travel bug when it's been put in a cache with logging it in there. What used to take a number of steps where there could be any number of points of error now only takes 1 step.

Dipping serves more purposes than just tracking mileage. But I appreciate it for that most.