What does needs archived mean to you?

bigdog421

After a few events in recent days, I was just wondering what other's thought about the nature of a needs archived log. Please post your thoughts, and please don't get to bickering trying to find who is right or wrong, as no true right answer exists.

To me, it means that all other options to get in contact with the cache owner have been unsuccessful. Whether it is lack of maintenance, ALR, etc., the first step is to establish communication via a note or an e-mail to the cahce owner to see what's up. In the case of lack of maintenance, a maintenence log is warrented. Heck, he/she might even agree with you and do something about the problem!

If that fails to get the owner's attention, a needs archived log is justified. You can prove that the cache owner has not responded to your concerns, and this log provides a way to get the local reviewer's attention.

It should NEVER be used as a first step, as it only causes instant battle lines, and the best outcome will not be reached by all parties involved.

Edited by bigdog421

....... please don't get to bickering trying to find who is right or wrong....

I cannot answer your question without getting into a heavy discussion with those of differing opinions.

That's what the forums are all about. :laughing:

My opinion.... let's see....when HAVE I used the SBA log......?

When the park ranger yelled at me and threatened to write me a ticket :laughing: ..... I logged a SBA.

When the poison oak grew so much that it completely covered the cache site :laughing: .....I logged a SBA.

and....when the cache hider made me mad :laughing: .... I logged a SBA.

It should be used when you need the reviewer/approver/volunteer/geo-police to give the cache some attention.

After a few events in recent days, I was just wondering what other's thought about the nature of a needs archived log. Please opost your thoughts, and please don't get to bickering trying to find who is right or wrong, as no true right answer exists.

To me, it means that all other options to get in contact with the cache owner have been unsuccessful. Whether it is lack of maintenance, ALR, etc., the first step is to establish communication via a note or an e-mail to the cahce owner to see what's up. In the case of lack of maintenance, a maintenence log is warrented. Heck, he/she might even agree with you and do something about the problem!

If that fails to get the owner's attention, a needs archived log is justified. You can prove that the cache owner has bot responded to your concerns, and this log provides a way to get the local reviewer's attention.

It should NEVER be used as a first step, as it only causes instant battle lines, and the best outcome will not be reached by all parties involved.

I agree with you for the most part. A NA log should be the last resort in cases where caches need maintenance. When the owner hasn't responded or even logged into the site in a year or so, it may be time to clear the way for a cache whose owner will upkeep it.

I will also use a NA log immediately if I find the cache (or just the cache location, if I chose not to hunt it the container) is dangerous to the point of being stupid (i.e. micro inside a panel on an electric transformer, etc) or I know that the cache owner did not obtain permission, and that will cause finders problems (police, shotgun wielding hillpeople, etc).

I will use a NA log when something has happened to the surrounding area (i.e. natural disaster) that has changed the landscape so as to detract from the original purpose of the hide.

....... please don't get to bickering trying to find who is right or wrong....

I cannot answer your question without getting into a heavy discussion with those of differing opinions.

That's what the forums are all about. :laughing:

My opinion.... let's see....when HAVE I used the SBA log......?

When the park ranger yelled at me and threatened to write me a ticket :laughing: ..... I logged a SBA.

When the poison oak grew so much that it completely covered the cache site :laughing: .....I logged a SBA.

and....when the cache hider made me mad :mad: .... I logged a SBA.

It should be used when you need the reviewer/approver/volunteer/geo-police to give the cache some attention.

lol SO true. my apologies :laughing::laughing::laughing:

How does a log cause battle lines? I've had a couple of Needs Archived logs on caches I own. No battles. Outcome was fine.

It's a log that goes to a reviewer. No biggie.

How does a log cause battle lines? I've had a couple of Needs Archived logs on caches I own. No battles. Outcome was fine.

Causing battle lines happens when someone creates a sock puppet account then goes logs a Needs Archived on all caches belonging to a particular cache owner because of personal issues. This has been happening in this area. Also, this sock puppet account has been searching the past logs and if there are three or more DNF's then they will log a Needs Archived. Just because there are three or more DNF's in a row doesn't mean the cache is missing. The Needs Archived log can be and is abused quite often. Put some caches on your watchlist and you'll see what happens.

Causing battle lines happens when someone creates a sock puppet account then goes logs a Needs Archived on all caches belonging to a particular cache owner because of personal issues. This has been happening in this area. Also, this sock puppet account has been searching the past logs and if there are three or more DNF's then they will log a Needs Archived. Just because there are three or more DNF's in a row doesn't mean the cache is missing. The Needs Archived log can be and is abused quite often. Put some caches on your watchlist and you'll see what happens.

I am watching a few caches now and have done so for quite sometime. Not one single issue, period.

Was something 'bad' supposed to happen?

Edited by Team Cotati

NA is the last drastic attempt to resolve a problem. In six years I have filed eleven.

Cache and cache owner missing for more than six months accounts for most of them. Usually applies to 'three day wonders'. How nice that you hid three caches, and haven't found any, but the ten pound rock on top of your take out food container, set on the lawn, has detroyed the cache.

The event that was still listed six months later.

The cache with the coords two miles off, hidden seventy-five miles from home. CO suggested, not in a nice manner, that I should learn to use a GPS. He never corrected the coords.

And the upcoming one: Earthcache owner who requires info from a sign that is never mentioned. The ESP Required was not listed.

Use the NA log if you feel it is imperative the reviewer sees an issue with a cache. Personally I feel the choice in naming this log type is unfortunate. Needs Reviewer Attention would be a better choice. The National Riffle Association probably would have sue if we used the acronym NRA though.

I agree with this line of thinking.

I wonder if the cache owner response to a Reviewer Attention Needed (RAN) log would be different (ie less severe) than the reaction to the current SBA log.

After a few events in recent days, I was just wondering what other's thought about the nature of a needs archived log. Please post your thoughts, and please don't get to bickering trying to find who is right or wrong, as no true right answer exists.

If that fails to get the owner's attention, a needs archived log is justified. You can prove that the cache owner has not responded to your concerns, and this log provides a way to get the local reviewer's attention.

I know for a fact at some caches do require immediate archiving.

I agree that communication is important. Typically it is merely historical documentation that you have attempted communication.

Use the NA log if you feel it is imperative the reviewer sees an issue with a cache. Personally I feel the choice in naming this log type is unfortunate. Needs Reviewer Attention would be a better choice. The National Riffle Association probably would have sue if we used the acronym NRA though.

I wonder if the cache owner response to a Reviewer Attention Needed (RAN) log would be different (ie less severe) than the reaction to the current SBA log.

That and seekers would be more likely to actually use it when needed. Nobody wants to be the hard butt that says "You cache needs to go. Just look at this thread. "Last resort" "battle lines" All it really means is "I found this cache and think there is a problem. Can someone with more expertise please take a look at it?"

EVERY time I have used Needs Archived it was because a cache was missing for months, 3 or 4 people have logged needs maintenance or DNFs, and the cache owner hasn't made ANY responses to anything.

I've seen people use the NA (or SBA) log to indicate frustration or something of the sort, and I've seen cache owners respond with, "How dare you put up a Needs Archived log when you've never bothered to tell me there's a problem!" This type of attitude from a cache owner I actually respected made me decide I would NEVER use this kind of log unless it was obvious the cache owner was not around at all or willing to comply with what was obviously an issue.

I had never heard of using NA (SBA) to "draw attention to a cache". I always took it to mean exactly what it says, "This cache should be archived".

I recently had a cache that was up in a tree that had burned down. The person who discovered this wrote a "needs maintenance" log and wrote me a note, even though the cache OBVIOUSLY was going to be archived. They allowed me to deal with the situation and we were able to keep from bothering a very busy volunteer with something we could take care of on our own.

SBA means SBA. you log it when you think the listing should be archived. nothing more and nothing less. not sure how you can understand it any different way.

believe me....I've seen a few interpretations

But I do agree with your statement. I'm not sure how it is possible either.

Edited by bigdog421

OK, then I will propose "Needs Investigation!" or, for short... :lol:

When the park ranger yelled at me and threatened to write me a ticket :lol: ..... I logged a SBA.

When the poison oak grew so much that it completely covered the cache site :rolleyes: .....I logged a SBA.

and....when the cache hider made me mad :rolleyes: .... I logged a SBA.

#1 Agreed.

#2 Perhaps, but probably not.

#3 Are you kidding me?

#4 That, I can agree with. People seem to forget that a NA log does not archive a cache. It alerts the reviewer. Period. The reviewer will probably say, "ventura_kids... learn to deal with poison oak, please, and stop bothering me with trivial NA logs", but at least it does not archive the cache automatically.

People seem to forget that a NA log does not archive a cache. It alerts the reviewer. Period.

no, it means that you think that the cache should be archived. if you don't think it should, then don't post a SBA. if you just want to alert the reviewer, send them a message!

People seem to forget that a NA log does not archive a cache. It alerts the reviewer. Period.

no, it means that you think that the cache should be archived. if you don't think it should, then don't post a SBA. if you just want to alert the reviewer, send them a message!

No. it means I think there is something about this cache that the reviewer should be made aware of. Period. Perhaps that is what you mean when you post a NA log. Edited by knowschad
No. it means I think there is something about this cache that the reviewer should be made aware of. Period.

where exactly is that coming from? which part of "should be archived" doesn't mean that it should be archived?

No. it means I think there is something about this cache that the reviewer should be made aware of. Period.

where exactly is that coming from? which part of "should be archived" doesn't mean that it should be archived?

That's coming from more than five years of experience and from feedback provided by several cache reviewers. I don't archive a cache. That is not in my power. All I can do is to call the reviewer's attention to what I perceive as serious issue. The reviewers do not see a SBA log and automatically archive the cache.

Nowhere in my posts have I said that I or anyone else should frivolously post SBA logs. You do need to use your head, for sure. That may, or may not involve emailing the cache owner first. But the main point that I am trying to make here is that a SBA does NOT archive a cache.

That's coming from more than five years of experience and from feedback provided by several cache reviewers. I don't archive a cache. That is not in my power. All I can do is to call the reviewer's attention to what I perceive as serious issue. The reviewers do not see a SBA log and automatically archive the cache.

well, that's what the log may de-facto mean. but it's not what it says. as it is now, SBA is SBA. if in reality it means "needs reviewer attention", then they should change the log type to say that. but until they do that, it still means that you think it "should be archived". some kind of secret internal knowledge doesn't change that.

Edited by dfx

well, that's what the log may de-facto mean. but it's not what it says. as it is now, SBA is SBA. if in reality it means "needs reviewer attention", then they should change the log type to say that. but until they do that, it still means that you think it "should be archived". some kind of secret internal knowledge doesn't change that.

The idea behind the "Needs Archived" log is not secret internal knowledge and is readily available to you here. Really, in the end, aren't you saying the same thing as knowschad??

My personal stance is that I log a "Needs Archived" immediately for anything that I perceive to threaten the integrity of the game (usually a violation of placement guidelines or local laws). I will also log NA on a cache that sits abandoned and unmaintained by a CO with "Needs Maintenance" logs on it.

And I'll post one if conditions at GZ have changed to the point that the cache no longer meets the guidelines. For example, No Trespassing signs have been erected. Of course, this is after I've attempted to contact the owner of the cache via e-mail. If the CO is absent (not logged on in months/years) then it goes immediately to SBA.

this is what we did on a cache and then we e-mailed the owner and met with him and returned the cache to him. He was glad to get the cache back and placed it in another location.

May 21 by Kosh Naranek (0 found)

Since it appears that the cache is no longer here, and was taken by the property owner, I am archiving this cache. If the cache owner can verify that the cache is still there, and has permission from the property owner, email me or Marko Ramius and we will un-archive it. Thank you.

View Log

May 21 by V&BVan (384 found)

this cache was removed by the property owner.

As we were looking for the cache the owner of the property came over and gave us the cache to return to owner

and has asked that caches not be placed here.

Edited by V&BVan

And I'll post one if conditions at GZ have changed to the point that the cache no longer meets the guidelines. For example, No Trespassing signs have been erected. Of course, this is after I've attempted to contact the owner of the cache via e-mail. If the CO is absent (not logged on in months/years) then it goes immediately to SBA.

If there have been no trespassing signs added after placement I would immediately post a NA. This is too important information to spend hours or days in contacting the CO in hopes that they will do something.

The idea behind the "Needs Archived" log is not secret internal knowledge and is readily available to you here. Really, in the end, aren't you saying the same thing as knowschad??

not really. his (and other people's) point seems to be that it's OK to post a SBA when you don't really think that the listing should be archived.

of course SBA doesn't archive the listing and only alerts the reviewer. but it still tells the reviewer (and the CO and everyone else looking at the listing) that you think it should indeed be archived, for whatever reason. he may or may not agree with you, but that's not the point. the point is that if you don't really think it should be archived, then you shouldn't post a SBA, but instead do something else (like send a message to the reviewer). and yes, the link you gave says the same thing: you're supposed to log SBA if you think it should be archived, and not if you think it needs reviewer attention.

Edited by dfx

and yes, the link you gave says the same thing: you're supposed to log SBA if you think it should be archived, and not if you think it needs reviewer attention.

In order to have something archived, does it not require reviewer attention? Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, I still believe you're saying the same thing. Changing the semantics of the log type still yields the same result insofar as getting a message to the volunteer reviewer is concerned.

not really. his (and other people's) point seems to be that it's OK to post a SBA when you don't really think that the listing should be archived.

of course SBA doesn't archive the listing and only alerts the reviewer. but it still tells the reviewer (and the CO and everyone else looking at the listing) that you think it should indeed be archived, for whatever reason. he may or may not agree with you, but that's not the point. the point is that if you don't really think it should be archived, then you shouldn't post a SBA, but instead do something else (like send a message to the reviewer). and yes, the link you gave says the same thing: you're supposed to log SBA if you think it should be archived, and not if you think it needs reviewer attention.

At what point in this discussion did you come to believe that I (or anybody else) felt that the SBA logs should be used frivilously? I don't.

NA means the cache has clearly violated the guidelines and needs a second look by a reviewer. Sometimes that is a matter of interprtation or opinion about some aspect of the guidelines.

If it is a maintenance issue - I would, of course, try to contact the cache owner first. However, there are numerous other guideline violations that sometimes require a reviewer to look at the issue.

If it is a maintenance issue - I would, of course, try to contact the cache owner first.
If the CO has shown zero signs of activity for a couple years and the cache is a total loss, I don't even attempt to contact them. Chances are the email address is dead, or if it's not, the CO simply doesn't care anymore.
In order to have something archived, does it not require reviewer attention? Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, I still believe you're saying the same thing. Changing the semantics of the log type still yields the same result insofar as getting a message to the volunteer reviewer is concerned.

it is the same thing if and only if all that reviewers do is archive caches.

currently, SBA effectively means the same thing as NRA (needs reviewer attention) because that's just the mechanism how caches get archived. but if the log type actually was changed to say NRA instead of SBA, then people would start using it for other reasons too, and not only if they actually think the listing should be archived. that's where the difference comes from.

currently, SBA effectively means the same thing as NRA (needs reviewer attention) because that's just the mechanism how caches get archived. but if the log type actually was changed to say NRA instead of SBA, then people would start using it for other reasons too, and not only if they actually think the listing should be archived. that's where the difference comes from.

Can you perhaps give some examples of scenarios in which you would choose to use "Needs Archived" and others where you're sending an email to a reviewer because of some perceived issue? Otherwise, I still feel you're focused on the perceived "non-PC" verbiage of the log type and using another mechanism to achieve the same result.

Edited by Dr. House

Wow. Our local reviewer usually jumps on temporarily disabled caches within 6 weeks. Even quicker if an NA is posted.

Yeah I know. I am going to a friends house for the 4th of July and the CO lives across the street and owns a fireworks stand. Going to see if I can talk to him or adopt it or something.

Wow. Our local reviewer usually jumps on temporarily disabled caches within 6 weeks. Even quicker if an NA is posted.

Yeah I know. I am going to a friends house for the 4th of July and the CO lives across the street and owns a fireworks stand. Going to see if I can talk to him or adopt it or something.

Why not get it archived and start from scratch with your own hide?

Was just an idea. Im in the military and have already been here over 2yrs. I dont want to place too many hides that I might have to archive in the future. Or maybe help him because it is very close to my house and he lives a good distance away.

Can you perhaps give some examples of scenarios in which you would choose to use "Needs Archived" and others where you're sending an email to a reviewer because of some perceived issue? Otherwise, I still feel you're focused on the perceived "non-PC" verbiage of the log type and using another mechanism to achieve the same result.

"Please use this log only when there are serious problems with the cache or its location. Do not use it if the cache needs repairs, or you didn't find it, or the location made you uncomfortable. Please consider first contacting the owner of the geocache with your concerns. Use the profile link next to the cache owner's name at the top of the cache page to send an email, as well as logging to the cache page about your visit."

Needs archived is for if the cache needs to be archived due to lack of maintenance or owner disregarding an issue. A reviewer does not need to be involved in archiving a cache. It is the cache owner's right and choice when and if to do it. If there is an issue where the owner is ignoring a safety issue, not willing to get permission though he/she obviously has none, etc. THAT is when the reviewer needs to be involved an notified. Without establishing any communication first with the cache owner, you are disrespecting their rights as an owner, essentially going above his/her head. I don't think a NRA or SBA is really necessary. Needs Archived is enough because it should be used with care.

If a cache owner is obviously not going to reply to an email (no log ins/finds in ages), yes it can be used as the first and only step. It is because the reviewer NEEDS to be involved. If they created a NRA or SBA, it would involve the reviewer far to often, more than necessary. Reviews aren't just reviewers...they have a life outside geocaching too, just like all of us :grin: I know weird right? The more we can work out for ourselves as geocachers and cache owners, the better off we can all be.

Was just an idea. Im in the military and have already been here over 2yrs. I dont want to place too many hides that I might have to archive in the future. Or maybe help him because it is very close to my house and he lives a good distance away.

I can sympathize. Although my service years were long before geocaching. However, if you adopt a cache you are still going to have the same problems when you next PCS. A cache that is going to be in another part of the world than you are.

At any rate my point was that not all caches need to be preserved. In fact after some time it may be advantageous to archive and start over. Gives those who have found it a chance to return to the area. I have archived many a cache that I think have run their course. Then either let someone else have the area or change things up and start over.

I had never heard of using NA (SBA) to "draw attention to a cache". I always took it to mean exactly what it says, "This cache should be archived".

This is precisely the problem with the NA log. Needs Archived says to me that the person posting feels that the cache needs to go bye bye. It gets used for getting the reviewer's attention because it's the only log type that works in this manner.

I like Reviewer Attention Needed (RAN). That would cut out some of the confusion and not automatically have cache owners thinking someone wants to do away with their cache.

Of course, people will still get upset when the RAN log is used without initial steps taken to communicate problems. But there are some instances which require immediate reviewer attention. Others situations would be best handled with an email to the owner or a maintenance log, etc.

OK, then I will propose "Needs Investigation!" or, for short... :lol:

I'm sorry, but Ni! has already been reserved. :lol:

Is your intent to reference the mighty Knights who until recently said *reserved word* but now say "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing!"

:grin::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by bigdog421

Needs archived is for if the cache needs to be archived due to lack of maintenance or owner disregarding an issue.

While I know I am in the other thread that prompted this one, please don't take these questions as directed at you although you may see where the logic could apply from the other perspective.

Consider the case of a guideline violation. If a cacher comes across a cache that was recently changed is it unreasonable to assume the CO deliberately disregarded it since they sign a statement that the guidelines were read?

Is it not also a reasonable assumption, based on the first question, that the CO will not react favorably to not from the cacher? How am I suppose to know which CO's are reasonable and which will start a flame war?

the knife would cut both ways. Those posting the NA may end up on the short end of the stick from the reviewer.

While calling it a RAN log may help, the accepted norm has been to post a NA to have a reviewer look into caches as well. Even reviewers accept this. Other than being named wrong, the log itself needs to be worded properly to reduce angst.

I still contend that this is not a mark of dishonor as it is being taken by some. That third party referee is

Needs archived is for if the cache needs to be archived due to lack of maintenance or owner disregarding an issue.

While I know I am in the other thread that prompted this one, please don't take these questions as directed at you although you may see where the logic could apply from the other perspective.

Consider the case of a guideline violation. If a cacher comes across a cache that was recently changed is it unreasonable to assume the CO deliberately disregarded it since they sign a statement that the guidelines were read?

Is it not also a reasonable assumption, based on the first question, that the CO will not react favorably to not from the cacher? How am I suppose to know which CO's are reasonable and which will start a flame war?

the knife would cut both ways. Those posting the NA may end up on the short end of the stick from the reviewer.

While calling it a RAN log may help, the accepted norm has been to post a NA to have a reviewer look into caches as well. Even reviewers accept this. Other than being named wrong, the log itself needs to be worded properly to reduce angst.

I still contend that this is not a mark of dishonor as it is being taken by some. That third party referee is

I can see from where you are coming. The fact is, communication can always be established and have a chance, but it has to be given. That log, to me, does not open communication. It shuts it down. You can never know if your attempt at communication will be accepted...but you can ALSO never know unless you try.

Renaming it would not be helpful...needs archived is warranted in its current form. If anything, another log type should be implemented for this sort of an issue.

Edited by bigdog421
Can you perhaps give some examples of scenarios in which you would choose to use "Needs Archived" and others where you're sending an email to a reviewer because of some perceived issue?

needs archived: cache needs urgent maintenance and CO is unresponsive. that's pretty much the only case i can think of.

needs reviewer attention: incorrect cache type for example. basically everything the CO would need to change about the listing, but doesn't want to do so for whatever reason.

of course the reviewer may archive the cache in both cases, or may do something else in both cases. i still wouldn't post a SBA if i didn't think the cache should indeed be archived though.

Edited by dfx