Pub crawl

Sounds like a cool series that I would love to do on a hot, sunny day, but isn't that a commercial violation?

There is nothing keeping someone from putting a cache near a business other than the permission guideline.

As long as the cache does not advertise that business, or use its name for the cache name it shouldn't violate the commercial guideline.

Edited by briansnat

Sounds like a cool series that I would love to do on a hot, sunny day, but isn't that a commercial violation?

There is nothing keeping someone from putting a cache near a business other than the permission guideline.

As long as the cache does not advertise that business, or use its name for the cache name it shouldn't violate the commercial guideline.

British pub names are not, usually, business names. The name stays with the pub when it changes owners and the business is, usually, in the owner/landlord's name. Most people would not consider using a pub name to be any form of advertising, pubs are as much landmarks as anything else.

British pub names are not, usually, business names. The name stays with the pub when it changes owners and the business is, usually, in the owner/landlord's name. Most people would not consider using a pub name to be any form of advertising, pubs are as much landmarks as anything else.

Any commercial building can be considered a landmark too. So can a church, government building, or statue.

A pub is a commercial enterprise; someone owns it, customers pay for service and product there. The fact that the name remains when ownership/management changes is common and irrelevant.

Simply using the name of a pub is a cache listing title should be considered a violation of the commercial cache guideline.

And clarified within this forum post that MissJenn made when that guideline was updated.

That said, I think a pub crawl series can be fun. We've got something similar in NC called Good For What Ales You. GFWAY I notice a few are now across the pond too. :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy

Pubs here are named things like the Queen's Head, the Royal Oak or the Woolpack. There are often hundreds of pubs that go by the same name with no relationship. There's not, in other words, any statutory ownership of pub names.

But, whatever. List the cache as Her Majesty's Bonce and go for it.

I've done more than one micro outside a pub.

so if someone wanted to place a cache in the parkinglot it would be ok as long as you didnt say joes bar cache and just said bar cache ? with permission of course. though i have seen several mall caches where they posted the name of the mall .

Edited by flapjack4

so if someone wanted to place a cache in the parkinglot it would be ok as long as you didnt say joes bar cache and just said bar cache ? with permission of course. though i have seen several mall caches where they posted the name of the mall .

That is correct. In fact 88.7 percent of all caches are in the parking lots of businesses.

Ones with the mall or business name in the title may be older, when enforcement wasn't quite as strict, or perhaps the fact that it was a business name wasn't obvious to the reviewer.

I've seen a fair few caches in the UK named after pubs, or placed near them. As long as you're just using them as waypoints or landmarks for clues and not advertising the business then it should be fine.

A cache called something like "Oxford pub trail" with waypoints like "1) The Queens Head, what is the date above the door? 19XY" should be ok.

A cache called "Drink at the Queens Head" with the description "A cache by a brilliant pub, good selection of real ales and Barry the landlord does a great Sunday roast" would more than likely not be acceptible.

I seem to recall from my (much) younger days, when I still lived in England, that pubs were much closer together than they are here. I never arrived at the next pub really thirsty...but did make sure I kept my fluid levels up, if you know what I mean. :grin: Those were fun pub crawls.......