delorme 40, 60csx or colorado 400i

I like paperless in one unit with the delorme and colorado. 60csx is sooooo poplular.

Can I go wrong with any of these???

Colorado in the sub 200.00 price range now on amazon.

Thanks for any advice.

I wish I was buying a nailgun or tractor... I would know what I was talking about.

Hud

I like paperless in one unit with the delorme and colorado. 60csx is sooooo poplular.

Can I go wrong with any of these???

Colorado in the sub 200.00 price range now on amazon.

Thanks for any advice.

I wish I was buying a nailgun or tractor... I would know what I was talking about.

Hud

I know nothing about delorme, but I own Colorado 300 pretty much since it was introduced and recently bought Colorado 400i as a backup/replacement because of the owesome price. I believe Colorado was intended as replacement for 60/76 series but then it did not meet expectations (for various reasons, mostly problem with software) and did not get the traction they were hoping for, Garmin chickened out and created 62/78 series. In my opinion, Colorado 400i for $199 is great deal. Comparable units cost 2x as much.

Again, I can't speek for delorme but I'd pick Colorado 400i over 60csx (60csx does not support BirdsEye imagery for example).

I have owned all of these and the only one I liked and stayed with is the Delorme. It just has better features for me and I like the way it does multi's. The paperless is great and I would not own a unit that does not have that (60csx) and the Colorado has been or will be discontinued.

Thanks

does the delorme allow you to download caches in your area off of the net easily??

after doing a little more looking I think I like the delorme also.

Thanks for your input

I appreciate it.

You'll get the most bang for your buck with the PN-40. It's accurate and capable. The only thing I didn't like about it was not related to the unit but the TopoUSA software that came with it. I found it clunky and non-intuitive but there are great tutorials online now and a fanatical group of fanboys who are happy to help out newbies. Also DeLorme has a great forum and is very responsive.

Definitely get the Cache Register program when you get your GPSr.

does the delorme allow you to download caches in your area off of the net easily??

after doing a little more looking I think I like the delorme also.

Thanks for your input

I appreciate it.

You'll get the most bang for your buck with the PN-40. It's accurate and capable. The only thing I didn't like about it was not related to the unit but the TopoUSA software that came with it. I found it clunky and non-intuitive but there are great tutorials online now and a fanatical group of fanboys who are happy to help out newbies. Also DeLorme has a great forum and is very responsive.

Definitely get the Cache Register program when you get your GPSr.

I am a PN-40 user and that is what I recommend. I haven't used the other units, so I am a little biased.

I use GSAK to manage my cache database and to load caches onto my PN-40. I tried Cache Register once, it crashed and I haven't opened it again.

I also agree with Triple Crown as the TOPO8 software is a little hard to use. But I only use it to download imagery and nothing else.

If you go with the PN-40, check out GSAK.

I have good things and bad things to say about the PN-40.

I got mine last year and I really like the interface for paperless geocaching. Very easy to load caches into the unit and it is a breeze to upload your field notes. Having the entire description and logs right in the unit has saved much hassle, paper and ink. The color screen is very nice and bright.

Now the bad. From the moment I got my PN-40, I've had trouble with it occasionally freezing up. When this happens, none of the buttons will work and the only way to reset it was to open up the back, pull the batteries out, and reset. Because of my love of the other features, I put up with this over the past year. However, just this weekend, the thing won't even start at all. Doesn't matter what I do with the batteries, or if I attach it to the computer to power it, it remains a brick. I looked over at the DeLorme Forums and this seems to be a common problem.

One other minor annoyance is that the place to hang the lanyard is on the top of the unit, not the bottom, so when you have it around your neck, and you pull it towards you to look at it, it will be upside down. I hear that they are fixing that in the next incarnation to have some kind of button that will flip the screen image, so that it will appear right-side up.

I don't know a whole lot about the other two, but that's my love/hate relationship with PN-40. So bad is it that I am actually thinking of getting another one, even though it only lasted a year! (But I also have gone through 4 XBOX 360's...)

Good luck

Cacheola Crew Mom

I have good things and bad things to say about the PN-40.

I got mine last year and I really like the interface for paperless geocaching. Very easy to load caches into the unit and it is a breeze to upload your field notes. Having the entire description and logs right in the unit has saved much hassle, paper and ink. The color screen is very nice and bright.

Now the bad. From the moment I got my PN-40, I've had trouble with it occasionally freezing up. When this happens, none of the buttons will work and the only way to reset it was to open up the back, pull the batteries out, and reset. Because of my love of the other features, I put up with this over the past year. However, just this weekend, the thing won't even start at all. Doesn't matter what I do with the batteries, or if I attach it to the computer to power it, it remains a brick. I looked over at the DeLorme Forums and this seems to be a common problem.

One other minor annoyance is that the place to hang the lanyard is on the top of the unit, not the bottom, so when you have it around your neck, and you pull it towards you to look at it, it will be upside down. I hear that they are fixing that in the next incarnation to have some kind of button that will flip the screen image, so that it will appear right-side up.

I don't know a whole lot about the other two, but that's my love/hate relationship with PN-40. So bad is it that I am actually thinking of getting another one, even though it only lasted a year! (But I also have gone through 4 XBOX 360's...)

Good luck

Cacheola Crew Mom

I have had that problem a couple of times in the last year also. Before you buy a new one CALL Delorme and talk to them. They might suprise you with there advise.

Thanks

I am still trying to get up to speed on certain aspects of these devices...

How many caches can each of these machines hold?? First with on board memory and then with the biggest card that the device can support.

From delorme site... 'Extensive On-Device Memory

500 MB of available internal flash memory in addition to the pre-loaded world base map. Holds up to ten tracks (10,000 points per track); 1,000 user-defined waypoints; and 50 routes. SD slot also available.'

What is a track, I think a waypoint is like your own 'turn' or 'poi', what is a route. How does all of this fit into the memory available in the device for paperless cacheing??

Thank you

Hud

Fixthud, each of the data storage limits you mention is independent. Ten tracks of 10000 points each PLUS 50 routes PLUS 1000 waypoints. The number of track points and route points are separate from the number of waypoints. You can have all those trakcs and routes without cutting in to your available space for waypoints or points of interest. But geocaches ARE waypoints and DO count towards the 1000 limit.

The 500 megabytes of storage (or more with an optional memory card) is mainly for storing maps and imagery. Though you can/will store all of those other types of data there also, the tracks/waypoints/routes will rarely add up to more than a tiny fraction of available memory.

The definitions of waypoints/points of interest/tracks/routes do get a bit blurred sometimes. Here's how I usually think of them:

A waypoint is a single, named location and doesn't need to be anything more. A point-of-interest (POI) is a waypoint with additional information attached to it (like a geocache entry including a description. The PN-40 can hold a total of 1000 of these.

A track is a collection of points in a specific sequence. Unlike waypoints, track points don't need to have names or descriptions. A track is typically detailed enough, with points at close enough intervals, that it can be followed simply by looking at the line it makes a map. The PN-40 can hold a total of ten tracks, each up to 10000 track points.

A route is collection of named points. A route point is like a POI, a location marked with additional information attached (turn left here!). Typically routes will have fewer points than tracks do, since they only need to mark those points of interest rather than every footstep. The PN-40 can hold fifty routes but I don't recall how many points each route is limited to.

Hope that clears the confusion rather than adding to it :laughing:

Edited by lee_rimar

I hate Topo maps. I don't use them.

The new garmin 62 should be out in 3 weeks or so.

I believe it will have some additional features beyond those of the 60.

I have 4 gpsr's.....one of them is the Garmin 60.

Even so, I am going to purchase the Garmin 62 once I see it works well (let others test it).

You can't go wrong with any of those you are selecting from.

It's gonna be personal preference.

Wait for the 62 series to come out and check the reviews. Hopefully it will live up to all that is promised. If it is as good as the 60 and true paperless I think that will be the new favorite and more important the best. For me the delorme's display is just to hard to read - font much to small but others love it. The Colorados and Oregons are nice but displays are difficult to see in bright sun and my Oregon is a battery hog, new Magellan GC is good, paperless, easy to use, and inexpensive. But still I am looking forward very much to trying out the new 62 series.

held the delorme 40 at bass pro today. I like it. 299 then a 50.00 rebate. amazon is 230.00. They had one 60csx for the 199.00 price folks have mentioned.

I think if I was gonna beat it to pieces I would get the 60.

RIght now I think I like the paperless thing better though.

I appreciate the replies more than you know. Soooooo helpful for a newb.

One reply menitoned price point. I just don't think I need to spend more than 200-250 to get a nice unit that will take care of my needs.

Hud

Really having a hard time now deicding between colorado 400i or delorme pn 40...

What should push me over the edge??

Thanks

Hud

The Delorme comes with maps that load onto the unit, and work in your computer. They are Topo with all streets included. You can do street driving routing with it. check to see what maps come with the Colorado and what it costs to add what you need.

I am still trying to get up to speed on certain aspects of these devices...

How many caches can each of these machines hold?? First ......... with the biggest card that the device can support.

Thank you

Hud

With firmware 2.7 installed on a PN-40, multiple GPX files, each with up to 1,000 caches, can be hosted on a 32GB card, if that makes any difference.

...hard time now deicding between colorado 400i or delorme pn 40... What should push me over the edge??
PN-40. I think Pax42 hit the important downside of the 400i: Discontinued. Likelihood that product support like firmware upgrades will stop, sooner than later.

Between two products of comparable features and price point, I'd always pick a current model over a discontinued one. I'd only go with the discontinued model if there was a very significant price difference, or some unique feature I could only get on that device.

Unless you're in love with the Colorado's bigger screen or that rocking-roller thingie, I'd still say PN-40.

---

PS: Items mentioned by a few others here noted (ie: GPX storage on card, map availability, and compass) really aren't determining factors -- as the 400i meets or beats the PN-40 in each of those details.

Edited by lee_rimar
... looks like I can get pn-60 or a garmin 62 for 330-350.00
Haha, you just bought yourself a different kind of agonizing. Just like I'd be cautious about buying an older or discontinued model, you can be nervous about newer models that don't have much of a track record :o

My overall feeling is Garmin makes better products -- but DeLorme is pretty good too at attractive price point. If you have the bucks, go Garmin. Need a price beater? DeLorme. In the higher price range, I'd go with the Garmin 62 ($349) -- or wait until I could afford the Garmin 62s ($449). I really don't need / another GPS but I'm really looking forward to trying out the 62 series to see how the newest chipset performs with a quad-helix antenna instead of a patch.

Edited by lee_rimar

In a few weeks hopefully the demand for the Delorme PN-60 will slow down so I can actually get one. I am new to this and chose the Delorme because of price and maps. Battery life is suppose to be better and it has a new interface. Same case and size as the PN-40 so all accessories will work. Hope this will help. Be patient, the PN-60 is just starting to hit the market this week. I ordered one that was in stock for $322 and by the time they tried to fill the order they were gone. In a few weeks they should be available at The Digital Oasis . com. If you want one right away you are going to have to take your chances with Amazon and pay $400. Good luck!

I went through the same agony - but finally pulled the trigger on the Delorme PN-40. Had the most features, maps, etc. that I was interested in - and since the PN-60 came out, the prices will be dropping. Just got mine on eBay for under $200... new in box!! You can do it! B)