Spot the Geocacher

What decoy or excuse do you use when you spot geocachers or are spotted out geocaching in areas were no normal person would be?

"Boys play with toys" - They just accept that the GPSr itself is reason enough for a bloke and his son to be wandering around in the middle of nowhere with it. They're probably surprised it's the only piece of beeping equipment we have with us :laughing:

One lady walking her dog seem surprised a sat nav "would work out here" and wanted to know if any sat nav would. So I spent a while trying to explain to her about mapping and so on and that I could tell where I was, track where I've been and where I want to go, but the unit wasn't going to tell me to "turn left at the next stile" or even show me where the footpaths and right of ways were, so a car sat nav wasn't ideal for what we were doing :laughing:

What decoy or excuse do you use when you spot geocachers or are spotted out geocaching in areas were no normal person would be?

1. Just admiring the view

2. Looking for trig points

3. I see you have a GPS etc.

4. other?

Do you use the geocachers wave?

Mmmmmm I will go with the trig points ...(as you well know)

You go with 'Just admiring the view! (I believe?) :laughing:

Edited by FantasyRaider

1. Just admiring the view

2. Looking for trig points

3. I see you have a GPS etc.

4. other?

Do you use the geocachers wave?

I've acted as if I'm admiring the view. Often I take a pocket camera with me and as soon as someone sees a flash go off their suspicious looks usually shift to "Oh, he's taking pictures".

Other times I pretend to be fiddling with the bike, although even then sometimes a helpful passer-by offers assistance in fixing a puncture or taking a best guess what might be wrong. So if I'm fiddling it's usually safest for it to be something about either the derailleurs or the brakes - it seems most people don't know anything at all about adjusting either so leave me alone.

we called out 'We know where you are going' to another party we saw head down and off to the cache we had just found.......and they were not on the recognised footpath....another giveaway :lol:

I tried this one once :anibad: , well the guy had a GPS and was collecting the info required from the right place :rolleyes: ...

Turns out he was not a geocacher at all :rolleyes: although a few days later he mailed my caching account and said he is now :anibad:

we called out 'We know where you are going' to another party we saw head down and off to the cache we had just found.......and they were not on the recognised footpath....another giveaway :lol:

I tried this one once :anibad: , well the guy had a GPS and was collecting the info required from the right place :anibad: ...

Turns out he was not a geocacher at all :rolleyes: although a few days later he mailed my caching account and said he is now :anibad:

Like it :anibad::rolleyes:

just say im working for the council and checking for tree snails they have to be counted every year you see

lmn

Like it :lol: , might just use this one.

We spend a lot of time searching for lost balls, does help if you have a dog with you for this one.

If they have a GPS, we just ask if they've found it yet.

Not too difficult in the country where it is fairly obvious if you are walking in small circles bumping into trees etc. GPS devices also tend to be easy to recognise, so a direct question like "Are you looking for buried treasure?" tends to break the ice. In towns its more difficult. There is a cache in Burford (Oxfordshire) which is located very near the public convenicences and if you are lurking about in the vicinity you get some very odd looks !!!! Told someone curious that We were studying the architecture (Standard Victorian council type )in the end had to wander off and wait for a less "muggly" time of day

Well apparently the 10 Russian spies that the FBI have just picked up in the USA used

"Excuse me, but did we meet in Bangkok in April last year?"

as a code phrase.

Maybe we should have

"Excuse me, but did we meet in Weston-Super-Mare in August last year?"

then change it every year after the Mega, it would make it more difficult for Muggles to infiltrate our ranks :grin:

Edited by MartyBartfast

i was asked at work today what is it i actually do at weekends, before i could answer he asked "is it some form of orienteering you do?" yes was my reply as it was an easier way to explain it all.

Ive used "im doing track logging for the OSM project" which is quite true, just happens to have caches along the way too :o

I like drsollys answer "doing a slug survey"