Have you ever been accosted while geocaching?

Checking this site thinking I might find out some information about other's experiences while caching, and encounters with black bear or wolf. Wrong! Guess I'll have to learn to read the location of the poster or stick to posts by "rural" cachers... Yet they do have some spectacular forested areas in New York.

Have yet to run into the "professional" in the National Forests yet...

I broke one of geocachings rules and went out caching alone. Went onto a trail a short distant in found the cache and on the way out a group of young people who happen to be of Russian descent were trying to break into my car and the other group was circling around me. I was fortunate to be rescued by a passing motorist who was lost and stopped for directions. I decided never to caching alone again.

If that's a rule - don't cache alone - I'm a REBEL!

I cache alone all the time. Only time I was accosted was by a man wearing blue... and a badge. But even with his help, I couldn't find the cache!

Edited to note: My face isn't the type that would burn a thousand ships. Probably not even one model sailboat.

Edited by Sioneva

I broke one of geocachings rules and went out caching alone. Went onto a trail a short distant in found the cache and on the way out a group of young people who happen to be of Russian descent were trying to break into my car and the other group was circling around me. I was fortunate to be rescued by a passing motorist who was lost and stopped for directions. I decided never to caching alone again.

If that's a rule - don't cache alone - I'm a REBEL!

I cache alone all the time. Only time I was accosted was by a man wearing blue... and a badge. But even with his help, I couldn't find the cache!

Edited to note: My face isn't the type that would burn a thousand ships. Probably not even one model sailboat.

I cache alone too, partly because I'm a loner and partly because I have no choice. It's times like this when I start to think about whether I should shower more than once a week though. That probably has something to do with the lack of interest from colleagues on joining me for a cache hunt.

I actually prefer it this way, and it's only when the weather got much warmer that I've been having more frequent encounters with non-geocachers, mostly without incident but aggravating just the same, like this one family having a huge picnic RIGHT on the spot a geocache I drove 15 miles to visit was located.

And dude, wait, what? Russians?? :lol:

Well I guess they must have been. If they were Ukrainian you probably wouldn't be talking to us right now. :grin:

only thing close has been by other cachers asking me if I needed help finding any thing, and after, "Uh well.. humm..," they say, "geocaching huh??"

Although I saw a couple cachers snagging a cache when I was near by. I thought about going up to them and saying something like, " What ya got there, is that drugs? IS THIS A DRUG STASH??!!" Before chuckling and telling them to cache on.....

But I just said "Hi, Geocaching huh?"

At least not when you are in Russia.

Before you get the knock on your car door, how can you tell it is a "pickle park"?

What happens if you pull in forward?

Questions that need to be asked. Answers I may not want to know.

That's probably going to be impossible, because I'm sure some gestures will depend on the region. The backing into a space appears to be universal though, so that's something I'll avoid doing now when I'm in an unfamiliar spot. Other than that, I'd look to see if you notice an inordinate number of people sitting in their cars who just seem to be waiting for something, and really just trust your gut instinct.

I hope the local Walmart doesn't become one :grin:

Edited by 42at42

You know, being that yesterday was PRIDE, maybe people would be a little more tolerant with those who don't share the same "normal" values.

Lastly, if you read the cache page then maybe you would have seen the notation about this location.

Again, LincolnAdams, put my caches on your ignore list, I don't want to see anymore notes on my cache page after the fact.

I am completely disgusted with you at this point.

:grin:

When I went to find this cache, there was no indication that it was a cruising spot. This was something I believe you indicated on your listing only AFTER I found the cache and after several more cachers had made comments about it.

Now you did the right thing by finally putting a notice that this area was known as a cruising spot, but rather than leave it at that, you then went on to berate and even threaten one of the cachers who found your cache for living a sheltered life, and then on top of that came on here and made derogatory comments towards me, somebody you don't know from Adam. Real mature.

I posted an additional note about your cache suggesting that people not back into their spaces based on what I learned here. It's meant so geocachers will minimize the risk of sending the wrong signal to cruisers. Please explain to me why this note would disgust you so much. Mmm?

It sure seems like you're insinuating that I be tolerant of people circling my vehicle and even FOLLOWING ME OUT OF THE PARKING LOT simply because they're gay? Seriously? Because I wouldn't put up with that crap if it were female hookers doing the same, or people looking to sell me some blow, or knock off Rolex watches. The only time I WOULD put up with it if I were surrounded by a parking lot full of Jessica Alba look alikes all looking to give me wubsie wumples, and even then I'd still be creeped out, if for no other reason than because nothing that supremely AWESOME would ever happen to me, so I'd know something was up.

Other than that, yes, I am in fact ill at ease when people circle my car and follow me around. I'm sorry that this offends you so much, and I admit I'm rather perplexed that this is something you feel gay people should be proud of. Uh huh, well being Italian, I'm pretty proud of the mafia myself. Them boys know how to hijack and whack people like nobody's business! Fuhgetabout!

Next time I would urge you to give some long thought to what you write before writing idiotic comments and attacking people you don't know. That is all.

You start the topic with race and sexual orientation, which I find offensive.

Secondly, call my statements idiotic, I find your being proud of he mafia, just as idioitic. Your statements of hijacking people and whacking are incredibly immature and not funny. I for one, being Italian find the mafia to be a blight on an otherwise exemplary history of a great civilization.

Perhaps, just maybe we shouldn't put caches where Hispanic people hang out or Black people hang out, because heck they may look at you the wrong way or follow you because you are white? Give me a break. These situations can happen away for geocaching in everyday life, even in sheltered LI.

If you are the big boy you are professing to be, deal with it like an adult would. Keep to yourself in the situation and move on. You don't have to cache, and certainly don't have to do mine.

I have been to far worse areas for caching, areas that could affect my and other cachers health due to the area strewned with garbage and fecal matter.

Thanks for making me regret attempting to put caches out for a dear friend of mine and on LI. When I return to NY, I will archive the LI caches and let everyone know that it is safe to once again leave their house.

Edited by buttaskotch

You know, being that yesterday was PRIDE, maybe people would be a little more tolerant with those who don't share the same "normal" values.

Lastly, if you read the cache page then maybe you would have seen the notation about this location.

Again, LincolnAdams, put my caches on your ignore list, I don't want to see anymore notes on my cache page after the fact.

I am completely disgusted with you at this point.

:grin:

When I went to find this cache, there was no indication that it was a cruising spot. This was something I believe you indicated on your listing only AFTER I found the cache and after several more cachers had made comments about it.

Now you did the right thing by finally putting a notice that this area was known as a cruising spot, but rather than leave it at that, you then went on to berate and even threaten one of the cachers who found your cache for living a sheltered life, and then on top of that came on here and made derogatory comments towards me, somebody you don't know from Adam. Real mature.

I posted an additional note about your cache suggesting that people not back into their spaces based on what I learned here. It's meant so geocachers will minimize the risk of sending the wrong signal to cruisers. Please explain to me why this note would disgust you so much. Mmm?

It sure seems like you're insinuating that I be tolerant of people circling my vehicle and even FOLLOWING ME OUT OF THE PARKING LOT simply because they're gay? Seriously? Because I wouldn't put up with that crap if it were female hookers doing the same, or people looking to sell me some blow, or knock off Rolex watches. The only time I WOULD put up with it if I were surrounded by a parking lot full of Jessica Alba look alikes all looking to give me wubsie wumples, and even then I'd still be creeped out, if for no other reason than because nothing that supremely AWESOME would ever happen to me, so I'd know something was up.

Other than that, yes, I am in fact ill at ease when people circle my car and follow me around. I'm sorry that this offends you so much, and I admit I'm rather perplexed that this is something you feel gay people should be proud of. Uh huh, well being Italian, I'm pretty proud of the mafia myself. Them boys know how to hijack and whack people like nobody's business! Fuhgetabout!

Next time I would urge you to give some long thought to what you write before writing idiotic comments and attacking people you don't know. That is all.

You start the topic with race and sexual orientation, which I find offensive.

Secondly, call my statements idiotic, I find your being proud of he mafia, just as idioitic. Your statements of hijacking people and whacking are incredibly immature and not funny. I for one, being Italian find the mafia to be a blight on an otherwise exemplary history of a great civilization.

Perhaps, just maybe we shouldn't put caches where Hispanic people hang out or Black people hang out, because heck they may look at you the wrong way or follow you because you are white? Give me a break. These situations can happen away for geocaching in everyday life, even in sheltered LI.

If you are the big boy you are professing to be, deal with it like an adult would. Keep to yourself in the situation and move on. You don't have to cache, and certainly don't have to do mine.

I have been to far worse areas for caching, areas that could affect my and other cachers health due to the area strewned with garbage and fecal matter.

Thanks for making me regret attempting to put caches out for a dear friend of mine and on LI. When I return to NY, I will archive the LI caches and let everyone know that it is safe to once again leave their house.

Are you purposely being obtuse or do you really completely miss the point that easily? Part of everyday life, eh? Well no, not really, considering I've been caching for 9 months and have found over 300 caches in 6 different states, and with the exception of a cranky balls neighbor I haven't had a problem till last week.

Keep to myself? Well honestly, how do you expect me to do that if people are following me around? :lol: Oy.

I think you're unable to get past race or orientation or whatever to what the actual heart of the issue was here, because you seem to think merely by identifying the orientation or ethnicity of the person when they engage in bad behavior, that one can only conclude it must mean they're all like that, the same way that if someone is Italian it must surely mean he's a part of the mafia too.

If that's all it takes for you to be offended, then you must be one perpetually angry person. I feel sorry for you.

Are you purposely being obtuse or do you really completely miss the point that easily? Part of everyday life, eh? Well no, not really, considering I've been caching for 9 months and have found over 300 caches in 6 different states, and with the exception of a cranky balls neighbor I haven't had a problem till last week.

Keep to myself? Well honestly, how do you expect me to do that if people are following me around? :grin: Oy.

I think you're unable to get past race or orientation or whatever to what the actual heart of the issue was here, because you seem to think merely by identifying the orientation or ethnicity of the person when they engage in bad behavior, that one can only conclude it must mean they're all like that, the same way that if someone is Italian it must surely mean he's a part of the mafia too.

If that's all it takes for you to be offended, then you must be one perpetually angry person. I feel sorry for you.

we're looking this all wrong....

when there is a cache at an average playground, bring a child or dog along to "blend in". when the cache is in a parking lot, pretend you are going to the store. the cache in this particular case required you to "blend in"... or be invisible. since this was a meet up park for gay males, you either needed to pretend to be a gay male... or be a female (which they wouldn't have even seen apparently). so, this actually might be an ALR, but if you are going to cache in a high muggle area, you must blend in :

0.jpg

It's happened to me, twice in one week now. The first time I was in a commuter parking lot, and I was getting circled by motorists who kept staring at me. It was really creepy, but I learned later on that the parking lot was a MAJOR pickup spot for gays, and the guy staring at me was waiting to see if I would give the signal. Thank God I don't have a wide stance, huh? That would have been a Seinfeld moment for sure. :)

The second time I was accosted by a black hooker at a children's park. Seemed really friendly, REALLY friendly if you know what I mean, but I politely declined her offer. After I found the geocache, I got out of there FAST. You think you wouldn't have a trouble at a park for kids, but oh well.

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately, but I suspect this is because this is my first summer caching (I started caching in the fall and throughout winter without a problem.) The warm weather has brought out teh crazies! :o

I think I'll just stay indoors now. If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding under my bed with my MacBook and a bottle of whiskey. Come get me when it's October again.

Wow, Lincoln. Perhaps as you age, you will learn more about the rest of the world!

Insulting other geocachers, as you have done on this thread, is not polite behaviour.

And I was going to have fun picking on Blitzen! Like "Who would proposition a dragon???' :o

I've never heard of backing into a parking space. Mostly I see guys reading newspapers in the car. And I had never realized that there were so any pickle parks, until I started geocaching. (I'm still having a tremendous desire to put a cache in Pickel Park in Montgomery, named afer Martha Pickel who donated the land. But it's a bit out of my area... But I could call it Pickel Park Cache!!!)

But as you mature, you will (hopefully) come to accept that there are people different from you in the world. And the guys in the pickle park aren't going to bother you too badly. "You got the time?" "Yep. It's 12:30" works well. Maybe you should stay indoors until October (2020).

Please, please, do not hunt any of my caches. Many of them are in heavily Hispanic areas. And, I can sense how that would bother you. So, please stay away! The rest have bears nearby. We wouldn't want them to bother you either.

Yes. Wise idea. Just stay indoors.

But as you mature, you will (hopefully) come to accept that there are people different from you in the world. And the guys in the pickle park aren't going to bother you too badly. "You got the time?" "Yep. It's 12:30" works well. Maybe you should stay indoors until October (2020).

Please, please, do not hunt any of my caches. Many of them are in heavily Hispanic areas. And, I can sense how that would bother you. So, please stay away! The rest have bears nearby. We wouldn't want them to bother you either.

I wonder why you are using one's ethnic background or orientation to justify or rationalize unwelcome advances and stalking? Following your rather silly logic, so because someone is gay, that makes it ok for them to circle my vehicle and follow me out of the parking lot? And if I have a problem with that, well then I'm just an unenlightened soul who hasn't matured yet. Brilliant.

I sense the Stupid is strong with this one, my young padawan.

I wonder why you are using one's ethnic background or orientation to justify or rationalize unwelcome advances and stalking? Following your rather silly logic, so because someone is gay, that makes it ok for them to circle my vehicle and follow me out of the parking lot? And if I have a problem with that, well then I'm just an unenlightened soul who hasn't matured yet. Brilliant.

As I said, some day, when you grow older, you might learn many things. Maybe.

In the meantime, nothing that you said made any sense. You have certainly misread what I said, and you have that of others.

Recommended that you stay indoors til October. (Your suggestion)

Have fun geocaching, if you are able to do so.

In the meantime, nothing that you said made any sense. You have certainly misread what I said, and you have that of others.

Hilarious, I believe you're the one making non-sequitur arguments about how I don't like Hispanics or something. Was there a point to anything you said, or do you just like to read your own words?

Ah well, to each their own. I wouldn't venture into New Jersey anyway for obvious reasons (one being the smell). Oh by the way, you know the difference between Jersey girls and trash? Trash gets picked up. :o

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week, try the shrimp! :o

What I initially found offensive was that race and sexual orientation was initially brought up in the OP's post. OK, I get it, its a cruising spot, you felt that you were being followed for whatever reason.

Secondly, OP felt that he had to write a subsequent note on my cache page about "not backing into a space "as its some sort of sign of encouragement. (My friends of this particular orientation tell me that its a myth.)

Of course, a friend alerted me to the OPs post and laughed at the ridiculousness of the post; but what offends me most, is the subsequent stereotyping of various races and orientation throughout the posts by various people. Why does it? Maybe because I am a minority. I don't like seeing anyone being ridiculed because of who they are, Russian teenagers, Black Hookers, and Men on the DL. The jokes make about Blue oyster cults, pickles, are all distasteful IMO.

I get it, black hookers and cruising men on the DL are scary to you. And, no cacher should be subjected to such horrors! :o

If that is the worst that has happened to you while caching or in life, count yourself blessed.

I guess, as the hardened NY-er that I am, I saw no issues with my cache placement. I have been fed hard pick up lines by men & women many times and places that was just as uncomfortable. Even instances that were far more overt than guys cruising you in cars, try being chased in Downtown Brooklyn in 4 inch heels, The Pinelawn parking lot is a piece of cake compared.

Again, I have far worse concerns with cutting myself with caches in garbage strewned areas.

That said, I archived my Pinelawn cache, just for you.

And I won't nearly be as critical of the areas you placed your caches in, oh wait, you don't have any. :o

What I initially found offensive was that race and sexual orientation was initially brought up in the OP's post. OK, I get it, its a cruising spot, you felt that you were being followed for whatever reason.

Secondly, OP felt that he had to write a subsequent note on my cache page about "not backing into a space "as its some sort of sign of encouragement. (My friends of this particular orientation tell me that its a myth.)

There is an entire thread on here from 2006 that affirms repeatedly from several different sources that backing your car into a space is a signal. From my own observations I noticed the cars that had occupants in them did indeed have their cars backed in as well (I remember this while walking to the cache). You'll forgive me then if I don't take your word for it.

I find it curious that you can be an urban Indiana Jones braving feces and other city craziness without batting an eye, yet I describe a cruiser as gay or a hooker as black and you completely flip your wig. :o

Guess what, I'm a minority too (disabled). I get stereotyped as well, but I don't completely lose it when someone refers to me as that {disabled} guy, because rarely it's out of malice. It's simply a method of description. When I say I was accosted by a black hooker it was because I was accosted by a black hooker. I wouldn't have said white hooker because an encounter like that wouldn't have been that out of the ordinary to me, but if she had been OLD I definitely would have said an OLD hooker. I made no comment as to the frequency or behavior of cultural groups or anything else other than making a physical description. It was you who read way more into it than was there, and that sort of cultural hypersensitivity is extremely irksome because it's completely beside the point. We're talking about behavior here, not ethnicity or orientation.

It's bothersome that you wave off and dismiss what amounts to stalking. So apparently you've put up with worse, does that make it any less wrong though? Is it right to deride people who have had these unsettling experiences simply because such experiences are not as common to them?

My post was meant to be mostly amusing, poking fun at myself and inquisitive to see if others have had similar experiences, and how they reacted. Anyone who thinks it was an indictment of an ENTIRE race or group of people needs to reread what I wrote.

And now that I've spent far more time than I intended to on this, I'm going to go have some pie. :o

Edited by LincolnAdams
cranky balls neighbor

I'm not sure I have come across one of those. Darn cranky balls neighbors! :o:o

Well, its clear that you don't live next to me, then! :unsure:

You must have a titanium walking cane then. The cranky balls always have titanium. :)

Titanium? TITANIUM?!? Look dude... what have you got against titanium, anyway? You could have just said that I must have a walking cane, but nooOOoo.... you somehow feel the need to specify a TITANIUM walking cane. Well, what if I don't? Am I a lesser man than the one that has a titanium walking cane? I think NOT, and I am offended that you would imply that I am. Maybe you should reconsider caching as a hobby.
You must have a titanium walking cane then. The cranky balls always have titanium. :o

Titanium? TITANIUM?!? Look dude... what have you got against titanium, anyway? You could have just said that I must have a walking cane, but nooOOoo.... you somehow feel the need to specify a TITANIUM walking cane. Well, what if I don't? Am I a lesser man than the one that has a titanium walking cane? I think NOT, and I am offended that you would imply that I am. Maybe you should reconsider caching as a hobby.

I admit it. I LOLed. :o

Edited by LincolnAdams

Wow there are some people that are really wound up tight. Reminds me of the customer I overheard in the store tonight. Swore everyone was asking for her ID in stores because she's a democrat. Speaking as someone married to a minority, my wife doesn't get wound in a knot when someone refers to her by her nationality. It's a fact what and where she is from.

Relax. Chill. Nothing is wrong with descriptors used in writing to describe a situation.