Have you ever been accosted while geocaching?

It's happened to me, twice in one week now. The first time I was in a commuter parking lot, and I was getting circled by motorists who kept staring at me. It was really creepy, but I learned later on that the parking lot was a MAJOR pickup spot for gays, and the guy staring at me was waiting to see if I would give the signal. Thank God I don't have a wide stance, huh? That would have been a Seinfeld moment for sure. :P

The second time I was accosted by a black hooker at a children's park. Seemed really friendly, REALLY friendly if you know what I mean, but I politely declined her offer. After I found the geocache, I got out of there FAST. You think you wouldn't have a trouble at a park for kids, but oh well.

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately, but I suspect this is because this is my first summer caching (I started caching in the fall and throughout winter without a problem.) The warm weather has brought out teh crazies! B)

I think I'll just stay indoors now. If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding under my bed with my MacBook and a bottle of whiskey. Come get me when it's October again.

<snip>

The second time I was accosted by a black hooker at a children's park. Seemed really friendly, REALLY friendly if you know what I mean, but I politely declined her offer. After I found the geocache, I got out of there FAST. You think you wouldn't have a trouble at a park for kids, but oh well.

<snip>

...as opposed to a purple hooker, eh?

It's happened to me, twice in one week now. The first time I was in a commuter parking lot, and I was getting circled by motorists who kept staring at me. It was really creepy, but I learned later on that the parking lot was a MAJOR pickup spot for gays, and the guy staring at me was waiting to see if I would give the signal. Thank God I don't have a wide stance, huh? That would have been a Seinfeld moment for sure. :laughing:

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately, but I suspect this is because this is my first summer caching (I started caching in the fall and throughout winter without a problem.) The warm weather has brought out teh crazies! :laughing:

I think I'll just stay indoors now. If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding under my bed with my MacBook and a bottle of whiskey. Come get me when it's October again.

Yes, I have been accosted by ticks, chiggers, spider webs, thorns, stick tights, unfound caches, sweat, and various an sundry other things. Never a black or purple hooker. Don't hide under your bed, if you do you won't find anyone to share your whiskey with.

It's happened to me, twice in one week now. The first time I was in a commuter parking lot, and I was getting circled by motorists who kept staring at me. It was really creepy, but I learned later on that the parking lot was a MAJOR pickup spot for gays, and the guy staring at me was waiting to see if I would give the signal. Thank God I don't have a wide stance, huh? That would have been a Seinfeld moment for sure. :laughing:

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately, but I suspect this is because this is my first summer caching (I started caching in the fall and throughout winter without a problem.) The warm weather has brought out teh crazies! :laughing:

Yes, I have been accosted by ticks, chiggers, spider webs, thorns, stick tights, unfound caches, sweat, and various an sundry other things. Never a black or purple hooker. Don't hide under your bed, if you do you won't find anyone to share your whiskey with.

Just remember, when parking in out of the way places, do NOT back your vehicle into a parking spot. Apparantly it's a gay signal in pickle parks.

I didn't know that...why do you? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

but in the words of Seinfeld

"Not that there is anything wrong with that."

Edited by zoltig

It's been a lot of years since I have been approached by a hooker of any race, or by a gay person. It happened a few times when I was in the Navy, and even for a year or so after. (40 years or so ago) However, I never felt like hiding under the bed. A polite, "I'm not into that" always seem to work just fine.

It has always been my feeling that if I'm not interested, the people approaching me lose interest in me. :laughing:

Just remember, when parking in out of the way places, do NOT back your vehicle into a parking spot. Apparantly it's a gay signal in pickle parks.

I've heard this on the forum before. However, it has never stopped me from backing in to a spot. Again, if approached "I'm not into that." should be all you need. And if anyone else sees me back in and makes some kind of supposition about that, who cares?

I don't know which would bother me more. Being solicited by a hooker or the fact said hooker did so at a park where kids are/play at.

Reminds me of why I like Brian Bates so much. But that's a different matter though that I'm not getting into lol.

Anyway, no. Can't say that I have been approached by ANYONE while caching.

<snip>

<snip>

...as opposed to a purple hooker, eh?

Considering I'm whiter than snow, I'm surprised I would draw multicultural interest, but I guess with all my gadgets on me it must have looked like I had money. :laughing:

I hope that's a universal gesture, but I'll remember that for next time.

You can of course politely decline, but why draw unwanted attention to yourself if you have the chance to avoid it? :laughing:

I didn't know that...why do you? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

There was another topic about this a few years ago.

Exactly.

I would not be speaking about piclke parks from experience. I've heard about it in other forums beside this one. I'm sure I am not the type to attract any gay males.

Never had anything like this happen to me while geocaching, but when I was a student I used to get approached quite regularly by dads in SUVs who would pull over and ask if I needed a ride, or if I was working. I thought it was weird because my typical outfit consisted of jeans, a hooded sweatshirt, and a backpack full of texts and notebooks - not what I'd consider the usual attire of a working girl. But someone told me later that the pros in that neighbourhood tend to dress so they blend in and attract less attention from the police.

I've been accosted by kids more than once.

What are you doing? That's not a cell phone. That sure is a funny looking hat. Why are you standing in the bushes? I got an ouchie. Is that your car? My dad drives a truck. You have a bug on you. What's your name? That's my mom over there. Watch me. Hey mister! look it! look it! look it!

I've tried a Shrek ogre yell, but it has absolutely no affect on kids.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What are you doing? That's not a cell phone. That sure is a funny looking hat. Why are you standing in the bushes? I got an ouchie. Is that your car? My dad drives a truck. You have a bug on you. What's your name? That's my mom over there. Watch me. Hey mister! look it! look it! look it!

I've try a Shrek ogre yell, but it has absolutely no affect on kids.

I've never had a problem with the kids, usually as soon as they see me they start screaming and running. Makes caching in kid heavy environments much easier. :laughing:

You should see what happens when I go into a Chuckie Cheese too.

I am glad that you edited that post, BD. It was reading rather peculiar the other way. :laughing::laughing:

I am glad that you edited that post, BD. It was reading rather peculiar the other way. :laughing::laughing:

Given the drift I figured it would be best to re-word it. :laughing:

edit: I'm going to laugh about that for the next three days.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm sure I am not the type to attract any gay males.

Are you a woman?

That's been the question I refuse to answer in a forum. Some say yes, some say no.

:laughing:

I ask because being a woman is the only way you won't attract any gay males, and even that is no guarantee. Gay men vary in taste as much as anybody else.

I ask because being a woman is the only way you won't attract any gay males, and even that is no guarantee. Gay men vary in taste as much as anybody else.

Gotcha.

I don't know that much about gay males. They don't interest me in the least.

Not that I care if a person is gay or not. I mean they don't interest me in "that way".

Do not rule out the possibility that this "bittsen" entity may not be of human origin, hence his / her / its belief in its, erm, unattractiveness in that regard.

Maybe you should stop caching for a while, or just put my caches on your ignore list.

Hmmm, are you implying ALL your caches were intentionally placed in areas renowned for hoinky boinky pickups? Maybe you can start a series and called it the Blue Oyster Caches. It will at least give us folks who only intend to geocache (and nothing more) a heads up. :laughing:

Edited by LincolnAdams

This is a problem with some caches, particularly in or near urban areas. It is a good idea to read the log entries; problems of this sort are often mentioned there.

That's what I do, however if the cache is pretty new, it may not be known that there's a problem until enough cachers visit the spot.

Live and learn, I guess. :laughing:

Come on now. Be honest, this is a total put-on. One of you guys has planted a secret camera behind that picture frame right over there. I just know it.

See me waving? And yes, I could use ALL of the fingers on my hand...........if I wanted to.

When you think you've seen or heard it all, you haven't.

I'm gonna convert to Islam. PBTA Most Merciful.

Other than an occasional offer for help thinking I might have lost something, the only time I've been approached by someone who wasn't a panhandler while out geocaching was by this young boy who wanted to offer me some kittens.

My wife would rather I be approached by the hooker or gay person, than by someone giving away kittens, (or puppies.). She knows I would turn down the first two, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to resist the last. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

This is a problem with some caches, particularly in or near urban areas. It is a good idea to read the log entries; problems of this sort are often mentioned there.

It's not just urban areas. Here's a log that I posted for a cache I found in April

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a1-092bf90a1567

In the log, I refer to a cache call Star Girls that I found in 2007 (one of the earliest caches placed in the area) that was archived awhile back. The newer cache is very close to where Star Girls was located. Here is my

log on Star Girls.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2f-c7d95996f121

I've lived in the area for 16 years and never have never heard that this particular area was a pickup spot but two incidents just seemed two coincidental to make me wonder.

Come on now. Be honest, this is a total put-on. One of you guys has planted a secret camera behind that picture frame right over there. I just know it.

See me waving? And yes, I could use ALL of the fingers on my hand...........if I wanted to.

When you think you've seen or heard it all, you haven't.

I'm gonna convert to Islam. PBTA Most Merciful.

:laughing:

hamster-pancake.jpg

Maybe you should stop caching for a while, or just put my caches on your ignore list.

Hmmm, are you implying ALL your caches were intentionally placed in areas renowned for hoinky boinky pickups? Maybe you can start a series and called it the Blue Oyster Caches. It will at least give us folks who only intend to geocache (and nothing more) a heads up. :lol:

You know, being that yesterday was PRIDE, maybe people would be a little more tolerant with those who don't share the same "normal" values.

Lastly, if you read the cache page then maybe you would have seen the notation about this location.

Again, LincolnAdams, put my caches on your ignore list, I don't want to see anymore notes on my cache page after the fact.

I am completely disgusted with you at this point.

I was once accosted by a hooker, but not while geocaching. I was actually on my front porch. "Do you like black women?" she asked me. Not understanding her subtext, I told her that I like everybody. She then asked me if I had forty dollars so we could "have a good time." I told her that my wife wouldn't approve, and besides, I'd be late for work.

I've only been accosted once while geocaching... I was coming out of a fenced area where, it turns out, a serious act of vandalism had been committed a couple of weeks before. So it's not surprising that they gray-haired lady walking her dog rather pointedly asked me what I was doing in there.

Hmmm, are you implying ALL your caches were intentionally placed in areas renowned for hoinky boinky pickups? Maybe you can start a series and called it the Blue Oyster Caches. It will at least give us folks who only intend to geocache (and nothing more) a heads up. :lol:

You know, being that yesterday was PRIDE, maybe people would be a little more tolerant with those who don't share the same "normal" values.

Lastly, if you read the cache page then maybe you would have seen the notation about this location.

Again, LincolnAdams, put my caches on your ignore list, I don't want to see anymore notes on my cache page after the fact.

Hulka.jpg

"Lighten Up, Francis"

The only time I've ever been "accosted"/ approached at a park was by a LEO, while I was sitting in my car reading the logs one last time before setting off to search for a cache near a kids park. Apparently they routinely checked on lone males sitting in the parking lot. Understandable, and as a father of three I appreciated their concern. Had a nice chat about geocaching with him before he went on his way.

It would be nice to know what all the "signals" are for hookers, gay people, drug dealers, etc so I don't inadvertently send THE "signal" without realizing it.

I frequently back my car into parking spaces so I can make a clean getaway. I had no idea until this thread that it might be one of THE signals.

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately.

I've never had a problem with the kids, usually as soon as they see me they start screaming and running.

Please start wearing [some/appropriate] clothing when geocaching.

Before you get the knock on your car door, how can you tell it is a "pickle park"?

What happens if you pull in forward?

Questions that need to be asked. Answers I may not want to know.

:lol:

When I went to find this cache, there was no indication that it was a cruising spot. This was something I believe you indicated on your listing only AFTER I found the cache and after several more cachers had made comments about it.

Now you did the right thing by finally putting a notice that this area was known as a cruising spot, but rather than leave it at that, you then went on to berate and even threaten one of the cachers who found your cache for living a sheltered life, and then on top of that came on here and made derogatory comments towards me, somebody you don't know from Adam. Real mature.

I posted an additional note about your cache suggesting that people not back into their spaces based on what I learned here. It's meant so geocachers will minimize the risk of sending the wrong signal to cruisers. Please explain to me why this note would disgust you so much. Mmm?

It sure seems like you're insinuating that I be tolerant of people circling my vehicle and even FOLLOWING ME OUT OF THE PARKING LOT simply because they're gay? Seriously? Because I wouldn't put up with that crap if it were female hookers doing the same, or people looking to sell me some blow, or knock off Rolex watches. The only time I WOULD put up with it if I were surrounded by a parking lot full of Jessica Alba look alikes all looking to give me wubsie wumples, and even then I'd still be creeped out, if for no other reason than because nothing that supremely AWESOME would ever happen to me, so I'd know something was up.

Other than that, yes, I am in fact ill at ease when people circle my car and follow me around. I'm sorry that this offends you so much, and I admit I'm rather perplexed that this is something you feel gay people should be proud of. Uh huh, well being Italian, I'm pretty proud of the mafia myself. Them boys know how to hijack and whack people like nobody's business! Fuhgetabout!

Next time I would urge you to give some long thought to what you write before writing idiotic comments and attacking people you don't know. That is all.

I was once accosted by a hooker, but not while geocaching. I was actually on my front porch. "Do you like black women?" she asked me. Not understanding her subtext, I told her that I like everybody. She then asked me if I had forty dollars so we could "have a good time." I told her that my wife wouldn't approve, and besides, I'd be late for work.

I've only been accosted once while geocaching... I was coming out of a fenced area where, it turns out, a serious act of vandalism had been committed a couple of weeks before. So it's not surprising that they gray-haired lady walking her dog rather pointedly asked me what I was doing in there.

LOL, that really sucks that you were accosted on your own front PORCH. :rolleyes: I was once chased by a gray haired lady too, boy she just could not understand the concept of geocaching. She honestly thought I was putting a tracker in a guardrail so the government could listen to her conversations. :lol:

Please start wearing [some/appropriate] clothing when geocaching.

What's wrong with my zebra striped fluffy pants?

It would be nice to know what all the "signals" are for hookers, gay people, drug dealers, etc so I don't inadvertently send THE "signal" without realizing it.

I frequently back my car into parking spaces so I can make a clean getaway. I had no idea until this thread that it might be one of THE signals.

Before you get the knock on your car door, how can you tell it is a "pickle park"?

What happens if you pull in forward?

Questions that need to be asked. Answers I may not want to know.

That's probably going to be impossible, because I'm sure some gestures will depend on the region. The backing into a space appears to be universal though, so that's something I'll avoid doing now when I'm in an unfamiliar spot. Other than that, I'd look to see if you notice an inordinate number of people sitting in their cars who just seem to be waiting for something, and really just trust your gut instinct.

I'm almost afraid to go out caching now. Seems the world is getting a little too weird for me lately, but I suspect this is because this is my first summer caching (I started caching in the fall and throughout winter without a problem.) The warm weather has brought out teh crazies! :lol:

Hey Dude I think you need to move to a less hostile enviornment.

Scubasonic

I broke one of geocachings rules and went out caching alone. Went onto a trail a short distant in found the cache and on the way out a group of young people who happen to be of Russian descent were trying to break into my car and the other group was circling around me. I was fortunate to be rescued by a passing motorist who was lost and stopped for directions. I decided never to caching alone again.