I need pinecones for geocaches

I am looking for big pinecones so I can use them for geocaching. ;) I want to use them for geocaches and TB's, as well as FTF prizes. Anybody have a few extra in good shape? I am looking for Digger pine cones, Sugar pine cones, and Coulter pine cones. You know, the big ones. B) Yup, them. The 6-inch plus ones. The big spiky ones. The super long ones. The ones that make your friends go "Holy crap! Where did you get that thing?!?" :P And as a side note, maybe for a present or two for cachers I know. :lol:

Cool. Sounds fun. Really puts gas mileage into perspective. That is why I wna t to get something like a Chevy Volt because it has 40 miles of battery life plus then the gas comes in when the battery runs out of juice and has to be recharged. About 250-300 miles of travel still going. Plus if you can find a station that has cheap prices, and good gas, then all tyhe better. I could go from provo, utah all the way to St. George without having to stop for gas once. About 220-50 miles straight as the crow flies one way. Add about 30-40 miles to that for road curvature and its pretty good.

You could also check Michael's, if there's one near you. I seem to recall them having pine cones occasionally. Then there's always eBay (found 2 for $11 shipped). And I also found this searching with Google.

The only pine trees around me don't produce such large pine cones. The largest are only around 4 to 5 inches in length, and they're fairly rare.

YEs, my apologoes. I don't know howlong the drive would be but something tells me I don't want to know.

For me? Eight hours to Happy Camp or 3 hours to LaPine

Oh hey, your're right; LaPine does have some good pine cones (That's eastern Oregon) I'm going there next month if no one sends the OP some pine cones before then.

As for me, it's about 6 hours to Happy Camp from here.

YEs, my apologoes. I don't know howlong the drive would be but something tells me I don't want to know.

For me? Eight hours to Happy Camp or 3 hours to LaPine

Oh hey, your're right; LaPine does have some good pine cones (That's eastern Oregon) I'm going there next month if no one sends the OP some pine cones before then.

As for me, it's about 6 hours to Happy Camp from here.

I don't remember what road it is on but there's a road that goes North to some obsidian beds from hwy 26 West of LaPine (and West of the lava tube) (the obsidian beds were around 80 miles up that road). Anyhow, there were spots along the road where there were THOUSANDS of large cones. Be careful though because it used to be illegal to pick them up if they were more than a certain number of feet from the road.

SOunds fun to drive to. I have a friend that met a guy over here in utah county who goes to Cali every couple months and gets a bunch. He met the guy, got his number, and then after a few months for some reason it got thrown away. So when he told me about it, I almost tore his room apart looking for it. Didn't find it, otherwise ifd I had, I probably would be buying some from him right now. I almost fricking killed my friend when I couldn't find it.

I am looking for big pinecones so I can use them for geocaching. :laughing: I want to use them for geocaches

Wouldn't you be better off getting them from wherever you're planning on hiding the end result? An out of place pine cone is going to be about as camoflage as placing a big neon "Cache is here" sign over ground zero :laughing::laughing:

I've seen them at BB&Beyond for the Christmas season, and as that stuff starts showing up about mid-summer these days, might not be too long of a wait. The only problem with the ones they had last year was that they had a ghastly scent to them, that I guess was supposed to enhance one's holiday spirit.....