Caching with dogs

dorqie

So yesterday I was out caching with my geopug in a wooded park.

The pollen counts are high, and geopug was sneezieng unconrolably.

We were on a smaller side trail, off the main trail, I had my smartphone in hand, and was scouring forrest debris looking for a cache that mentioned it was covered by leaves.

Would normally have been fine, every time a muggle would walk by on the nearby main trail, I would stop my rustling untill they went by, and go undetected. Due to geopug however, was having a heck of a hardtime maintaining stealth. Every single muggle that came within earshot of his sneezes (ever heard a pug sneeze? I would need to investigate too) came bounding down the side trail and ran into me.

Another problem my faithful companion causes for my geocaching has to do with the nature of his breed (so freakin ugly he's cute) every muggle feels the need to stop and talk to us and pet him. Then there is an awkward parting moment where they turn and keep walking, and expect me to do the same, but I don't want to, because I'm 2' from the cache, then I always feel like they are watching me, and wondering why I turned around at the end of the block and went back to where I was when they so rudley interrupted me.

I should have gone for a snraly looking pit-bull to keep the muggles away, but too late now, geopug is a member of the family, and the only one who will geocache with me and not complain about bugs, sore feet, or whatever else.

Does your dog attract muggles? If so, how do you prefer to deal with it?

We only take our dog when we do woods hiking. He's big, and it's too much trouble doing urban hides with him if we're getting in and out of the car a lot. When we do take him hiking, I worry about him getting ticks and into poison ivy in the summer. In the winter, he loves it, but he always wants to go swimming and then come next to you and shake, which isn't so nice when it's 10 degrees out.

As for attracting muggles, my son used to. He's 10 now and doesn't do it, but when he was younger, he'd yell out "found it" as loud as he could when he'd find a cache before us. Of course, everyone would turn around to see what he found. B)

Edited by Skippermark

I actually prefer caching with the dog...first off it means I don't have to worry about how long I'm gone with him locked up at home...I can stay out til the stars come out.. ;)

We go on long hikes, short hikes, semi-urban walks, doesn't matter. if it's raining or it's a P&G, I leave him in the van, usually snoozing.

Yes, everyone we meet has to stop and play/pet/be introduced, he's a very attractive dog and very people friendly. Heck, he'd be insulted if humans ignored him!!

He has been known to provide great camo for me. After all, walking off into the bush off a trail in a rest area doesn't look so good when you're human. Taking the dog into the bush just looks like you're providing him with some privacy for him to do his business... B)

About the only places I don't take him are cemeteries and that's because he is a he and, well, everything that stands still and upright is a target for him... :P There, I grab a clipboard and make like I'm doing research.

My two small dogs love geocaching, but boy are they a pain to take caching! They're not off-leash dogs (they'll need some serious training before I let them off leash) and they wrap themselves around absolutely everything at GZ while I'm hunting the cache. Takes me longer to untangle them than it does to find the cache. The last time I took them caching it was in a grassy area, and I was pleased at the lack of trees/bushes for their leashes to tangle around until I realized they were getting plastered with those little round weeds/seeds that stick to your socks - Yikes! It took forever to get all those out after we got home (long haired dogs). I have to say, I enjoy myself more without the dogs, but they still talk me into it sometimes.

I love caching with the goepup. Yes it is a bit hard and for summer when i take her i really only like to do geopup friendly caches(no urban caches) so i dont have to leave her in the car but she has fun bouncing through the woods. I personally love taking her caching. I also find you can use the pup as a say excuse to go into weird places and nobody would think anything of it

When we first started caching, we had an Australian Shephard who was a purpose-driven dog. When she was on a walk, she wanted to WALK. It made her anxious when we would stop and wander around with no purpose that she could understand. Her nagging whines got to be annoying after a while, which lowered the joy of caching with her.

Currently, we have two good dogs for caching. One is some sort of hunting dog mixture who is very good at busying herself with her own hunt while we are looking for a cache. The other is an old Australian Cattledog who is quite happy to rest while we search. We leave the old dog at home if we have a cache that requires more than a mile walk. The younger, hunting mix LOVES a full day of caching with us in the woods.

Neither of them have the awwww factor of a pug, so our meetings with muggles don't usually last long. I can see where having a pug along could cause some unwanted attention, especially a cute, sneezy one.

When we first started caching, we had an Australian Shephard who was a purpose-driven dog. When she was on a walk, she wanted to WALK. It made her anxious when we would stop and wander around with no purpose that she could understand. Her nagging whines got to be annoying after a while, which lowered the joy of caching with her.

Currently, we have two good dogs for caching. One is some sort of hunting dog mixture who is very good at busying herself with her own hunt while we are looking for a cache. The other is an old Australian Cattledog who is quite happy to rest while we search. We leave the old dog at home if we have a cache that requires more than a mile walk. The younger, hunting mix LOVES a full day of caching with us in the woods.

Neither of them have the awwww factor of a pug, so our meetings with muggles don't usually last long. I can see where having a pug along could cause some unwanted attention, especially a cute, sneezy one.

My pup is an aussie-poo but i dont see her being very purpose driven, she does a very good job of busying herself cause EVERYTHING interest her.

When we first started caching, we had an Australian Shephard who was a purpose-driven dog. When she was on a walk, she wanted to WALK. It made her anxious when we would stop and wander around with no purpose that she could understand. Her nagging whines got to be annoying after a while, which lowered the joy of caching with her...

My pup is an aussie-poo but i dont see her being very purpose driven, she does a very good job of busying herself cause EVERYTHING interest her.

Maybe the poodle part of her cuts the aussie herding instincts? Also, you're raising her to be a good geodog. Our aussie was about 13 and set in her ways when we started caching.

Have fun with your sweet pup! I bet she's a real cutie! (A muggle magnet?) I'm hoping to find a picture of her in your gallery.

When we first started caching, we had an Australian Shephard who was a purpose-driven dog. When she was on a walk, she wanted to WALK. It made her anxious when we would stop and wander around with no purpose that she could understand. Her nagging whines got to be annoying after a while, which lowered the joy of caching with her...

Maybe the poodle part of her cuts the aussie herding instincts? Also, you're raising her to be a good geodog. Our aussie was about 13 and set in her ways when we started caching.

Have fun with your sweet pup! I bet she's a real cutie! (A muggle magnet?) I'm hoping to find a picture of her in your gallery.

Ya she is very cute il try and put a pic of her caching up soon maybe after our cache day tomorrow.

I have a border collie. Very friendly, full of energy, goes up to everybody to say hello and get a pat. Yes, it is hard to avoid muggles, BUT it is an excellent excuse for being where I am - forests, parks, meadows, riversides, lakesides, mountains, etc. I'm just out walking my dog, aren't I? ...and mostly, so are the muggles. I'm hiding in plain sight.

I took my Beagle with me 1 time when I knew I was only doing a short run. OMG how funny The breed, being hunters, have to smell everything. I mean everything. I dont know how his nose doesnt get tired. Plus this was all new smells. He was a rescue pup & spent the 1st 6 months of his life in a kennel so he is still very jumpy, even after 9 months with us. I did like the idea that with all of his activity in the bush edges there was little chance of slithers hangin out but on the other hand I was concerned they were in hiding & he might disturb them & get bitten. We did make it a short trip & when I got him back to the truck I discovered he had several ticks. Although he is on Frontline I didnt like him having bugs.

I think I will wait til cold weather to take him out in the bush but I might take him on an urban run, both for company & socialization. I know he will be a distraction & thats ok, it goes with the decision to take him.