What models should I look at?

I currently use a nuvi 200. I like the maps but the accuracy can be off and there is quite a bit of walking back and forth trying to find the right area to start my search. I can be paperless by loading pocket queries and I like that.

I have read in another post about possibly buying a second, cheaper version and use the two units together. I'm usually trying to keep two little ones and our gear all together so the less I have to have in my hands the better.

So, what inexpensive model can I buy that will show maps like the Nuvi, can load pocket queries, and have the pointer or indicator which gives me a bit more guidance? I really don't know what else I'm looking for. The only gps that I have seen is my nuvi 200.

Thanks

How much can you afford to spend? It really helps in the elimination process. Otherwise you end up going around in circles with all the choices and may possibly purchase something you will not be happy with. In the years that I've been lurking on this site,I've never seen anything like the amount of posts in the past year from people asking what they should buy. Part of it is attributable to the many models that have come out over that same period making purchase decisions difficult. Asking someone to tell you what to buy is not going to help you,spending time reading some model related threads will. You would be surprised what you will learn. Enjoy!

I agree. The best place to start is with a price range. Then, what you will be using it mainly for. Hiking and Geocaching go hand in hand. But, some people may ride bicycles, fly hang gliders, parachute, kayaking, etc... I am a die hard Garmin loyalist. Yet, just looking at the Garmin models is daunting in itself. There's a zillion Nuvi's, Dakota's, Etrex, Rhino, and 60x series to just name a few. I think there are far too many models out there to choose from. Then, you have to look at the map detail that you are looking for. Topo, marine, or routing? So, we are all eagerly waiting to help you out. I'll most likely recommend a Garmin model. But, I know there are a lot of other good GPSr's out there made by Delorme, Magellan, and other manufacturers.

My price range is under $200 Cdn. I will use it only for geocaching. I geocache with my two children, so we are in the 3 and under terrain ratings.

I have checked the stores in my area, but most of them only sell car gps units. Looking online really doesn't tell me too much as I don't know what I should be looking for really.

Aside from the size of my car gps, and the fact that there isn't an arrow indicating which way I should be walking to find my destination, it works great. As I read about some of the other units that I have narrowed down, like the Etrex Venture HC for example, I'm not sure if the units provide me with the same functions as my current gps.

It is hard to figure out what each unit has or doesn't have without having one in my hand.

Wal-mart is known to sell them in the sporting goods section. Someone in another thread mentioned that you could get a Colorado 400i for $200.00 on Amazon. It's a great unit for the money and it has a paperless geocaching ability. You can then find a free Canada topo map download called Ibycus.

My price range is under $200 Cdn. I will use it only for geocaching. I geocache with my two children, so we are in the 3 and under terrain ratings.

I have checked the stores in my area, but most of them only sell car gps units. Looking online really doesn't tell me too much as I don't know what I should be looking for really.

Aside from the size of my car gps, and the fact that there isn't an arrow indicating which way I should be walking to find my destination, it works great. As I read about some of the other units that I have narrowed down, like the Etrex Venture HC for example, I'm not sure if the units provide me with the same functions as my current gps.

It is hard to figure out what each unit has or doesn't have without having one in my hand.

for $228cdn, Walmart is selling the GPSMAP 60Cx. you got 30days to try with walmart. D/L some free topo maps from Ibycus (or arrange someone to do it for you if you aren't familiar with torrents) and away you go.

it's a little over your budget, but it's a great GPS and the maps are legally free to use.

I was searching Walmart online and wasn't coming up with anything, but after you replied I called my nearest Walmart and they do have that model at that price. Can I download pocket queries directly to the 60Cx or do I have to use GSAK?

I was reading about the new 62 coming out. Any idea on how much this one will cost? I'm just wondering if I should hold out for a few more weeks if it is in the same price range.

I'm having the same problem. Trying to decide what to buy. Read reviews after reviews all have good and bad and each one I read. Don't have anyone I know to ask about and no way to try them out. I own a Nuvi too but it just doesn't work well. Fine for getting you to area but not good for finding GZ. Will use for geocaching only. Saw that many people have PN 40, gpsmap 60csx or or garmin vista. Really want to get something soon but hate to put a lot of money in something then be unhappy.

I was searching Walmart online and wasn't coming up with anything, but after you replied I called my nearest Walmart and they do have that model at that price. Can I download pocket queries directly to the 60Cx or do I have to use GSAK?

I was reading about the new 62 coming out. Any idea on how much this one will cost? I'm just wondering if I should hold out for a few more weeks if it is in the same price range.

GPScentral and GPScity both have the the 62series on their main screen, but they will run you $360-460 for non sd and sd compatible models

remember, google is your friend :laughing:

Edited by brucered

If you want paperless geocaching then any one of the Oregon, Dakota, Colorado or the new 78 series or 62 series will do. Finding any one of these in the $200 CAD or less price range might be a challenge though.

It doesn't help that the $50 USD Hit the Trail rebate on the Oregon and Dakota series is now over.