hosting my first event

jasondulac

Hi Ive been to a few events and now I think I would like to hold one of my own.

I ve been thinking of Ideas and I came up with this Iwould like to hold a bikeing and caching event the I ndea would be that I would make a meeting spot and we would bike around brampton finding caches I would also hide a few for us to find. my question how would I go about setting this up and is there any thing I would need to know before going ahead with this

If any bodyhas any tips it would be apreciated

Hi Ive been to a few events and now I think I would like to hold one of my own.

I ve been thinking of Ideas and I came up with this Iwould like to hold a bikeing and caching event the I ndea would be that I would make a meeting spot and we would bike around brampton finding caches I would also hide a few for us to find. my question how would I go about setting this up and is there any thing I would need to know before going ahead with this

If any bodyhas any tips it would be apreciated

As per Groundspeak's guidelines, "an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list."

Having said that, there's no reason why you can't set up a cycling event through an area that has caches in it. The primary purpose of your event should be to meet and greet other folks and go for a bike ride. If there happens to be caches in the area, well that's an added benefit. Of course you can set out a few caches in advance and have them published the day of the event (just ask your reviewer to hold off publishing them until the day of your cycling event) but remember that they are not to be temporary in nature.

You should also indicate on your listing how long the route will be, whether or not it would be considered to be kid-friendly, and how long it might take to complete.

A cycling event sounds like a good idea - remember to submit your listing at least 2 weeks before the day of the event.

As others have mentioned, since the biking would be for the purpose of finding caches it would be against the guidelines.

What you can do is set up a pub event and make the biking an optional activity after the pub. The people who show up just for the pub can wish the bikers off on their adventure.

As always, talk to a reviewer to work out the details before trying to publish the event.

As others have mentioned, since the biking would be for the purpose of finding caches it would be against the guidelines.

What you can do is set up a pub event and make the biking an optional activity after the pub. The people who show up just for the pub can wish the bikers off on their adventure.

As always, talk to a reviewer to work out the details before trying to publish the event.

I would hope that an event that focused on a group bike ride would be handled in the same way that a group hike would be. And I would also hope that participation is the bike ride would be option so that those that wish to simply meet up at the staging area for the approximately 15 minute gathering in advance would be allowed to log it as if it was a Flash Mob.

On the other hand, I can't imagine any reviewer publishing a listing that talked about finding geocaches in any way at all. An event is about getting together to be social with peers and talk about geocaching. Some reviewers are more open to what they publish, like a distance hike with a defined route, because people can talk as they hike. I'm not sure how much conversation can really be done while riding a bike. Your reviewer might ask you about that if the only option is to actually participate in the cycling.

:lol: BQ

I think a cycling event is a great idea. Let me know when, and I'll be there.

If you want, I can even suggest a bunch of possible starting points and routes for various times and difficulty levels. I've got route ideas ranging from 10K/1 hour easy trails all the way to hundred mile overnight trips :grin:

It's helpful to bounce your ideas off one of the cache reviewers before settling on a final plan for the event, they really are there to help make the geocache ideas work. Once you've got a plan, submit the cache posting and wait for everyone to show up :lol: Just keep in mind that an event cache needs to be posted at least two weeks before the date of the event.

We'll be looking at doing a bike/hike Geocaching event next spring here in Sudbury.

The area in question is all bush. The caches will be places along, and off of one of the local ski-doo trails. There is ~6 easy access areas to the trail. This will allow for those of us that can bike, the bike it end to end. Those that can't bike the entire thing (~10km one way) can go in, cache, travel to the next access area, go in, cache, etc.

The area also has a low density of caches, so all the caches we place for this event will be permanents, registered GC caches.

The event will be listed as put on my Up North Tracks (should make it easier to find).

We had hoped to put it on this year, but our schedule is really busy with events this year (attending, and/or vendor's table).