Hosting my first event

Hi Ive been to a few events and now I think I would like to hold one of my own.

I ve been thinking of Ideas and I came up with this Iwould like to hold a bikeing and caching event the I ndea would be that I would make a meeting spot and we would bike around brampton finding caches I would also hide a few for us to find. my question how would I go about setting this up and is there any thing I would need to know before going ahead with this

If any bodyhas any tips it would be apreciated

Sounds like a fun time. You should start by reading the event guidelines. You cannot host an event for the purpose of hunting caches, so word it carefully.

I prefer unstructured events that focus on socializing with other cachers instead of ones that are full of activities that send people away from the meeting point/shelter/bar. Others like to play games and have activities at their events.

Talk to your reviewer. Explain that there will be an event (lunch at a nearby restaurant). And after the event has concluded, you want to lead a bike and cache ride. Let the reviewer know you want to include the information about bringing a bike and which route (the caches) you want to take so that the people who want to join you after wards will know your full plan ahead of time.

Here's an event where we will go after a cache, but notice it's not the only thing to do there. As long as finding a cache is not required of the event I think you may be fine.

Edit to add the guideline, bolded to emphasize

an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt

Work with your reviewer and hopefully it can work out.

Edited by IkeHurley13

Sounds like a fun time. You should start by reading the event guidelines. You cannot host an event for the purpose of hunting caches, so word it carefully.

I prefer unstructured events that focus on socializing with other cachers instead of ones that are full of activities that send people away from the meeting point/shelter/bar. Others like to play games and have activities at their events.

With regards to hosting an event to hunt caches. If you happen to pick a trail that has caches, there's nothing stopping you from grabbing them. But yes, reviewers tend to frown on cache-hunting events where the sole focus is hunting caches. However, in my experience, you are welcome to place a few new caches to be published the day of the event.

Here's a thought. Maybe you could consider making the event a caching bike race. Have some prizes for the top three finishers, and maybe a few other categories. Don't make it too long as you don't want to exclude those who might not be experienced with long distance biking. Then set some caches along the trail. The goal is to not only get to the finish line first, but to do so while grabbing as many of the caches on the trail as possible. You could even set up a required amount of found caches, but place more than that. Let's say you place 10 caches. Finding 7 is required to be in the standings. Finding more than seven takes time of your total ride time. Finding less adds time. Maybe the third person to get to the finish line found all ten caches, and their added time pushes them into first place? Just make sure that EVERYONE can go after the caches, not just those in the race. Then, at the finish line, hold a picnic. Food for attendees and racers, socializing, and you've now turned it into a competition. You might even consider having a mini race for the kids, with or without a handful of kid friendly caches.

Actually, that sounds like fun. I'd probably join in the race myself. If you do that, share the details. We have MOGA here in Missouri and it is a popular geocaching competition, though the terrain isn't very conducive for biking.

Edited by TripCyclone

With regards to hosting an event to hunt caches. If you happen to pick a trail that has caches, there's nothing stopping you from grabbing them. But yes, reviewers tend to frown on cache-hunting events where the sole focus is hunting caches. However, in my experience, you are welcome to place a few new caches to be published the day of the event.

Here's a thought. Maybe you could consider making the event a caching bike race. Have some prizes for the top three finishers, and maybe a few other categories. Don't make it too long as you don't want to exclude those who might not be experienced with long distance biking. Then set some caches along the trail. The goal is to not only get to the finish line first, but to do so while grabbing as many of the caches on the trail as possible. You could even set up a required amount of found caches, but place more than that. Let's say you place 10 caches. Finding 7 is required to be in the standings. Finding more than seven takes time of your total ride time. Finding less adds time. Maybe the third person to get to the finish line found all ten caches, and their added time pushes them into first place? Just make sure that EVERYONE can go after the caches, not just those in the race. Then, at the finish line, hold a picnic. Food for attendees and racers, socializing, and you've now turned it into a competition. You might even consider having a mini race for the kids, with or without a handful of kid friendly caches.

Actually, that sounds like fun. I'd probably join in the race myself. If you do that, share the details. We have MOGA here in Missouri and it is a popular geocaching competition, though the terrain isn't very conducive for biking.

I decided to go with the bike race Idea thanks. I actually just sumited the event