Evil Geocoin Ressurected

fox-and-the-hound

I'm an optimist with a sense of reality. Today I'm just a little more optimistic than usual B)

I received a fantastic bit of news this morning that has me pondering some very old questions we've talked about here more than a couple times. My Evil Micro Geocoin is back from the dead after almost 4 years of mysterious probing in the underworld. A cacher who was carrying my coin lost her swagbag while hiking. Realizing it was lost she ran back in a panic to retrieve her bag, but despite being out in the middle of nowhere it had been found and taken with my coin inside. Now almost 4 years later my coin has mysteriously turned up in a cache without any explanation. It's simply back and traveling it's merry way.

We've talked about coins that have gone missing, but this raised some thoughts and old arguements in my mind again. What if I had assumed that coin was never coming back and reused the tracking number in some clever way? We've discussed a good number of really great ideas to get more for your tracking number dollar, but now I wonder to myself would this incredible ressurection of a geocoin be as incredible if I'd simply built a proxy to travel in it's place? I'd still have the coin, but would it's resurgence mean as much to me? I don't know, but I suspect it wouldn't.

I've long argued for the reuse of tracking codes from coins for proxies and other ideas. I still believe they're valid arguements, but now I think I understand the cachers who argued against me a little better, too. Sometimes the value of the tracking number is more than the dollar. It's a tough call because I'm not terribly sentimental, but the loss of the coin always inspired me to believe that somewhere was a muggle wondering what they held and how it came to be in a bag in the wilderness. I always entertained the hope that "someday it will show up" despite realizing the complete lack of reality in that line of thought.

Today I'm feeling a little less cynical. I'm thinking that despite coins being stolen, that no one lives forever and these coins in all probability will be on this planet long after we've moved on. They'll resurface somewhere or another repeatedly as long as people are here to discover them. I wonder if this coin will come back from the dead hundreds of years from now. I wonder how many other long lost coins will surface again in the years ahead. I wonder if there's any coin that will ever be truly lost without being destroyed. I wonder if all lost coins are just biding their time until they travel again :P

I wonder to myself would this incredible ressurection of a geocoin be as incredible if I'd simply built a proxy to travel in it's place?

Creating a proxy would've made the original geocoin feel lost and confused, leaving it prone to violence and insensitivity towards other geocoins. There's plenty of cinematic precedent set to back up my theories. Just look at Ben Affleck's character in Pearl Harbor, or Lotso Huggin' Bear in Toy Story 3.

You did the right thing, Chris. That's one lucky geocoin to have an owner as kind, loving and patient as you. I hope you two can get back together soon and frolic happily as you once did.

*sniff* I love a happy ending... B)

Today i received an e-mail to let me know that a cache that I had archived back in Dec. 09, (I took a drive out to look for it and it was gone, assumed stolen,) had re-appeared back where I had originally placed it. Just to make sure, it was my cache container, and not a new chache, I took a drive out to the location tonight. Same ammo can, same picture of my wife and I taped to the underside of the lid. Just like the evil geocoin, it had arisen from the ashes. Originally called chiro-cache 5...go for a drive, it's been renamed chiro-cache 5...go for a drive...it's alive ! And just to make sure this post is geocoin related, there is a Kathy's coin for the FTF!

ILYK

Today i received an e-mail to let me know that a cache that I had archived back in Dec. 09, (I took a drive out to look for it and it was gone, assumed stolen,) had re-appeared back where I had originally placed it. Just to make sure, it was my cache container, and not a new chache, I took a drive out to the location tonight. Same ammo can, same picture of my wife and I taped to the underside of the lid. Just like the evil geocoin, it had arisen from the ashes. Originally called chiro-cache 5...go for a drive, it's been renamed chiro-cache 5...go for a drive...it's alive ! And just to make sure this post is geocoin related, there is a Kathy's coin for the FTF!

ILYK

That's great news! Who knows the where/how/who/why adventure stories related to their mysterious disappearances, but I like to think gremlins are at work :lol:

ILYK

Awesome....I think this should be nominated for the lost and found !!!!