Surprising cachers

Webcam images aren't online....hmmn? OK, if you say so.

arg, that's not what I meant. admittedly that's what it sounded like, but it's not what i meant.

webcam images to most people are nameless, unless it's a webcam cache, but I would assume those who don't want other people attaching a picture to their username wouldnt do those.

Legally I don't think you have anything to worry about posting someones picture. I will agree that it would be rude to do so without either asking or knowing the other cacher enough to know it is OK. I wouldn't post KnowsChads picture without asking. Yours I might now that you have posted "I'm not included".
Did you realize that you're up to 74 76 forum posts now? Not bad for a sock! Edited by knowschad
Legally I don't think you have anything to worry about posting someones picture. I will agree that it would be rude to do so without either asking or knowing the other cacher enough to know it is OK. I wouldn't post KnowsChads picture without asking. Yours I might now that you have posted "I'm not included".
Did you realize that you're up to 74 76 forum posts now? Not bad for a sock!

Yeah. I am using this one because too many people said they couldn't PM through the other account. Seems the ampersand causes problems for the system. But I am still not gonna tell you what my other accounts name is.tongue.gif

Personally, this seems like a really bad idea. While many folks would be receptive to being spooked on a FTF run by the cache owner, you can't assume everybody will be as tolerant. Something I've learned during a lifetime as a law enforcement officer is that folks can display some pretty odd behavior when they are frightened, up to and including acts of violence.

You mean like this?

That's hilarious. It's wish-fulfillment exacted on all obnoxious people.

how did i know this topic would end in a discussion on gun control?
Even without guns being involved, there's still a risk when you startle people you don't know well. I know someone who was startled as a prank, and severely injured the person who startled him. Some people have developed a "neutralize first, ask questions later" reflex, thanks to years of training in unarmed combat.

sigh,

Because all of your threads are loaded and aimed at causing controversy.

Can any one tell me where the ignore button is?

Gonna ignore me? Cool, then I can start talking behind your back. B)

No no, not you.

i would hate to be surprised at a cache! Nor would i want my picture taken without my knowledge. That's just creepy. If some guy jumped out at me when i was searching for his cache i'd probably stop looking for that person's cache. Maybe report them.

i was searching for a cache today that had a "mine." It really startled me and made me uneasy. Although i was expecting something because it was stated in the cache description. i do appreciate that. But even that put me on edge.

i like caching to relax, not be shocked or startled. That's my preference.

Seeker has made my point in a way far better than I ever could.

Actually, since i started caching i've decided to get pepper spray. In my town, many caches are after a little hike and usually in more isolated area in the woods or FL shrubs. A few times i have stopped and thought about my car sitting less than a mile from me, alerting others i'm nearby and possibly alone in the woods. So pepper spray is a good move for me.

i'm not sure if i'd be as scared if someone jumped out at me in a city rather than in the woods, but i imagine so. i hope the OP would have enough sense not to try and scare a female alone. Even if he wants the attention...it's not very cool.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
obviously i would have the advantage, and not jump out at people i think couldnt handle it,

How could you possibly make such a determination? I've responded to calls where obliviots playing pranks had violence visited upon them with a vengence by petite women, burly men and every possible combination therein. All it would take is for one person, carrying a handgun, to feel genuinely threatened by your actions, and "Bang!", no more Ashnikes.

uh...

er...

Nevermind. Carry on. B);)

I have shouted "GEO-POLICE, HAND OVER THE CACHE!" from a distance

A bit off topic: Several decades ago, a buddy of mine decided it would be a hoot to charge into a bank yelling, "NOBODY MOVE! THIS IS A DEPOSIT!". It didn't work out well for him. :P

obviously i would have the advantage, and not jump out at people i think couldnt handle it,

How could you possibly make such a determination? I've responded to calls where obliviots playing pranks had violence visited upon them with a vengence by petite women, burly men and every possible combination therein. All it would take is for one person, carrying a handgun, to feel genuinely threatened by your actions, and "Bang!", no more Ashnikes.

uh...

er...

A bit off topic: Several decades ago, a buddy of mine decided it would be a hoot to charge into a bank yelling, "NOBODY MOVE! THIS IS A DEPOSIT!". It didn't work out well for him. :P

Ouch and ouch in a friendly sort of way

Edited by humboldt flier

I live in the city so naturally I automatically go to defend myself when snuck up on in secluded places. (Such as a wooded area, at night or even if someone just scares the crap out of me) This being said if someone snuck up on me while at a cache site I might end up attacking/macing them thinking they are up to no good. I'd feel really bad about it after realizing they meant no harm though.

If I'm out in the woods alone and someone jumps out at me like that they're going down first and I'll ask questions later and hopefully no bones would get broke in the process.

I also have friends who were in the military would wouldn't think twice about neutralizing someone jumping out like that and hopefully it wouldn't trigger a PTSD issue which could turn out infinitely worse.

I also wouldn't be exceptionally thrilled to find someone doing something creepy like taking pictures of me while I'm out caching and then posting them online without my permission.

I found this cache today. I like the idea of showing up and meeting the FTF or FTFs. It happens quite often out here on the West side of Orlando, because we have soooo many determined FTF Hounds. Some times it looks like a mini Geo Event, when everyone shows up. GC2AA4R

I wouldnt SCARE anyone I didnt know. Although there is a cache in Cent Fl. that is an ammo can that has a car horn/ battery inside and it goes off when you open it........... My advice: Always carry an extra pair of shorts in your truck.

Edited by moparots

If I'm out in the woods alone and someone jumps out at me like that they're going down first and I'll ask questions later and hopefully no bones would get broke in the process.

I also have friends who were in the military would wouldn't think twice about neutralizing someone jumping out like that and hopefully it wouldn't trigger a PTSD issue which could turn out infinitely worse.

I also wouldn't be exceptionally thrilled to find someone doing something creepy like taking pictures of me while I'm out caching and then posting them online without my permission.

A big 10-4

sigh,

Because all of your threads are loaded and aimed at causing controversy.

Can any one tell me where the ignore button is?

Gonna ignore me? Cool, then I can start talking behind your back. B)

No no, not you.

Good thing I didn't start saying all those things. :P

uh...

er...

The toughest, meanest MP I ever worked with was a young lady who just squeaked in over the hieght and weight requirements. I was there the day she subdued a six foot plus, two hundred something pound tank mechanic. I have my doubts as to his ability to father children after that. That and the two black eyes and the dislocated finger and I think it unlikely he was ever able to live it down back at his unit.

And I'll just bet your buddy had a spectacular introduction to the inner workings of the FBI. From the suspects POV that is.

You wouldn't have to do it isn such a manner as to get yourself shot and may even get some good laughs from both you and the finder.

While not the cache owner another cacher scared me on my second FTF in 2004.

From my log

January 13, 2004 by TheBeanTeam (1104 found)

Finally got another firstie (our 2nd firstie)... couldn't believe it. Used the rest haven entry point. Easy find. Great cache. On the way out a well-dressed professional man told me my lights were on and that I was parked illegally. Immediately I began to think of ways to explain my presence, but he went on to say "...so your log doesn't count." Thus I met Meercat. Good to visit with a fellow cacher! Took two coins, left oriental coin with a hole in the middle, and a Trinidad/Tobago one-dollar bill. The bill is not officially coinage, but it is only worth 67 cents, so I thought it might count.

This type of scare hurt no one and left no one in danger so with the right kind of finesse the idea is workable. The key is the finesse.

If I went to a cache and some creepy cache owner was hanging about just to scare people for "fun", I would call the police, send a Should be archived log to Groundspeak and come back later and remove the cache. I would also contact the land steward and warn them about the inappropriate behavior of the cache owner.

If I went to a cache and some creepy cache owner was hanging about just to scare people for "fun", I would call the police, send a Should be archived log to Groundspeak and come back later and remove the cache. I would also contact the land steward and warn them about the inappropriate behavior of the cache owner.

If you were scared that would definitely justify stealing the cache. B)

How's that one about two wrongs go?

I'll put it this way: Many years ago I was in San Francisco with my family, walking along a sidewalk near the water below Ghirardelli Chocolate, when some idiot street person jumped out from behind a bush to scare us. I came very close to hauling off and pasting him. I didn't do so, but informed him of what he was. I was not happy, nor was my family. So, I don't think I'd appreciate a CO doing the same.

The funny thing is, my son was in SF a month ago, and apparently this idiot is still there doing the same thing. BTW, he's looking for "donations".

Hmm, you're not that guy, are you? B)

I'll put it this way: Many years ago I was in San Francisco with my family, walking along a sidewalk near the water below Ghirardelli Chocolate, when some idiot street person jumped out from behind a bush to scare us. I came very close to hauling off and pasting him. I didn't do so, but informed him of what he was. I was not happy, nor was my family. So, I don't think I'd appreciate a CO doing the same.

The funny thing is, my son was in SF a month ago, and apparently this idiot is still there doing the same thing. BTW, he's looking for "donations".

Hmm, you're not that guy, are you? B)

The Bushman! I guess that's considered some kind of street performance in San Fran. Yeah, I've watched him scare people. Kinda lame.

Have you ever purposely scared a cacher, whats the story?

Been there ... done that .. sort of ....

A recently archived cache of ours, in the middle of a woodlot, had a screamer in it that went off when the cacher(s) opened the ammo box.

It got a lot of good comments, and folks seemed to have fun with it.

Then it went missing .... maybe a cacher that didn't think it was so funny..... :P

Ah well ..... B)

Now why does this one remind me of all those "Do you carry a gun while caching?" threads?

LMAO... i aint even reading the rest of the posts yet.

Your post is killing me hahaha

I carry one but anyone who is wouldn't shoot someone if they just "scared you" normally someone who is carrying one knows how to use it and WHEN to use it....

But i love the idea from the creator of the topic! I may do that on my first cache hide...

and if you look back at some past threads you will find that there are some geocachers who are adimatley opposed to having their picture posted along with their username. I'm not included, a little snooping will reveal hundreds of pictures of me all over the interweb.

oh la la!!!! Did i mention I think im in love with you in this thread yet?

rawr!

number4-12.jpg

Sundress.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

even one of you when you were younger...

BLACK_BABY_GIRL.jpg

adorable.....

hey wait a min....

I found this cache today. I like the idea of showing up and meeting the FTF or FTFs. It happens quite often out here on the West side of Orlando, because we have soooo many determined FTF Hounds. Some times it looks like a mini Geo Event, when everyone shows up. GC2AA4R

I wouldnt SCARE anyone I didnt know. Although there is a cache in Cent Fl. that is an ammo can that has a car horn/ battery inside and it goes off when you open it........... My advice: Always carry an extra pair of shorts in your truck.

ive been scared by the horn catch over by ucf, i loved it,

as far as the dr horrible cache you just found, i switched the film canister out with a larger one, i had to find a new container first, i signed you onto the now larger logbook so no worries, that place is awesome right?

its even cooler inside, but i didnt tell you to enter, cant stop you though.

The Bushman! I guess that's considered some kind of street performance in San Fran. Yeah, I've watched him scare people. Kinda lame.

I kinda wish someone would stop near him, take out an electric hedge trimmer, turn it on, and walk towards him. Would be interesting to see how he would react B)

i would hate to be surprised at a cache! Nor would i want my picture taken without my knowledge. That's just creepy. If some guy jumped out at me when i was searching for his cache i'd probably stop looking for that person's cache. Maybe report them.

i was searching for a cache today that had a "mine." It really startled me and made me uneasy. Although i was expecting something because it was stated in the cache description. i do appreciate that. But even that put me on edge.

What does it mean if a cache has a "mine"?

another issue with the photo idea, one would have to spend some time photoshopping out the face of the ftf, in case that person was one of those "I don't want my picture on the internet" types.

I'm thinking of ways to talk myself out of it... if you can't tell.

There is a cache (yes the one that needs archiving..) that I can see from my house, but it's really hard to see my house from the cache (due to trees and a river) Ever since this thread came up I've been thinking about training my camera on it and trying to get a shot of the finder. Best of both worlds, I can be a creep, and nobody will know. (untill your picture ends up on the internet of course, but I'm working on that)

Not a lawyer here but i don't think you can expect privacy from cameras when you venture out in public. How many web cameras are there in public places? They certainly don't get signed releases from everyone who walks into frame.

no, but they don't end up on the internet most of the time.

and if you look back at some past threads you will find that there are some geocachers who are adimatley opposed to having their picture posted along with their username. I'm not included, a little snooping will reveal hundreds of pictures of me all over the interweb.

How would a person locate the interweb?

Holy Moley. Dude, I'm local to you and thank goodness you are on the east side and me on the west. That reduces my chances of hunting for your caches.

If you ever, and I mean EVER, jump out at me at a cache, after I have taken pains to make sure I am alone and "safe", you will be looking at the business end of a Springfield XD 45 Tactical. I promise.

On the other hand, if a person were to approach me out in the open, I would love to meet the cache owner.

this cache IS out in the open, wide open, seriously.

p.s. ive filmed two movies in winter garden in the past year with my school, one was a zombie movie, were you around for that? ill be up there again the 8th i think to film another one we should meet up.

Edited by ashnikes

I agree with you 100%, and by the way, I'm glad you're still here!! B)

Describe how you would determine the person with the bad heart who is using 'caching as part of their recovery?

Well obviously jumping out at older people, people with obvious disabilities, or people with children or animal is a terrible idea,

single people is also a bad idea, single women would be the worst. they have enough stuff to worry about being alone at night.

what does that leave? well the only catagory that would enjoy or be at least ok with me jumping out and scaring them would be a group of teens, or 20somethings, or a whole slew of ftf'ers which i was counting on, since they descended upon all my other finds, i could jump out and scare them, and it would most likely end in civil manners. or start a prank war which could be fun as well.

Finally got another firstie (our 2nd firstie)... couldn't believe it. Used the rest haven entry point. Easy find. Great cache. On the way out a well-dressed professional man told me my lights were on and that I was parked illegally. Immediately I began to think of ways to explain my presence, but he went on to say "...so your log doesn't count." Thus I met Meercat. Good to visit with a fellow cacher! Took two coins, left oriental coin with a hole in the middle, and a Trinidad/Tobago one-dollar bill. The bill is not officially coinage, but it is only worth 67 cents, so I thought it might count.

Meerkat is everywhere! We've met him at caches too.

[

single people is also a bad idea, single women would be the worst. they have enough stuff to worry about being alone at night.

what does that leave? well the only catagory that would enjoy or be at least ok with me jumping out and scaring them would be a group of teens, or 20somethings, or a whole slew of ftf'ers which i was counting on, since they descended upon all my other finds, i could jump out and scare them, and it would most likely end in civil manners. or start a prank war which could be fun as well.

Single women? Uh, yeah, that would be me. B)

The youngsters who attend all the halloween horror nights might enjoy that. Maybe some cachers do special haunted halloween caches, I don't know. But scaring someone then would certainly be appropriate.

What does it mean if a cache has a "mine"?

i'm not sure how it was rigged. But i stepped on something, felt a pull and the palm tree shook and sounded like a flock of birds flew out of it!

I agree with you 100%, and by the way, I'm glad you're still here!! :laughing:

Describe how you would determine the person with the bad heart who is using 'caching as part of their recovery?

Well obviously jumping out at older people, people with obvious disabilities, or people with children or animal is a terrible idea,

That idea would work fairly well until you happened upon someone carrying a bag full of knuckle sandwiches.

Now why does this one remind me of all those "Do you carry a gun while caching?" threads?

I carry a hand gun and I am a good shot with it. I also really dislike being startled and I will aim center mass and deal with the aftermath later.

AMEN!!!!

Edited by beatrixkiddo
Holy Moley. Dude, I'm local to you and thank goodness you are on the east side and me on the west. That reduces my chances of hunting for your caches.

If you ever, and I mean EVER, jump out at me at a cache, after I have taken pains to make sure I am alone and "safe", you will be looking at the business end of a Springfield XD 45 Tactical. I promise.

On the other hand, if a person were to approach me out in the open, I would love to meet the cache owner.

See, Ashnikes... no problem, dude. Just DO IT! Nobody has a problem here. Go and have your fun.