Surprising cachers

I go tan idea today to go hang out at my latest hide, an abandon navy hospital, just after it got published, waiting in the shadows to scare the FTF Hawks, of course nobody showed up while i waited there for a few hours, and i got tired of waiting so i came back home, but i think in the future i want to try to scare my FTF'rs since they all come out roughly the same time, plus I would actually like to meet them.

Have you ever purposely scared a cacher, whats the story?

Edited by ashnikes

I go tan idea today to go hang out at my latest hide, an abandon navy hospital, just after it got published, waiting in the shadows to scare the FTF Hawks, of course nobody showed up while i waited there for a few hours, and i got tired of waiting so i came back home, but i think in the future i want to try to scare my FTF'rs since they all come out roughly the same time, plus I would actually like to meet them.

Since I believe in the right to carry a handgun, and I know that a lot of people around here do, that would not be a good idea.

nope, never wanted to meet anyone at a cache site.

The thought crossed my mind to spy on people, but I wouldnt actually come out of my hiding place to say hello. The thought of them acidentally finding me while searching for my cache was enough to put that thought out of my head.

I would not like it at all.

I cache to relax and have fun. Not to have some retard jump out of nowhere and scare me.

(not implying ashnikes is a retard or in any other way mentally unfit)

I'm with you. Also not implying that ashnikes is a 'retard.'

"retard" is indeed a bad choice of words. I am sorry for that.

I knew and know better...

I would not like it at all.

I cache to relax and have fun. Not to have some retard jump out of nowhere and scare me.

(not implying ashnikes is a retard or in any other way mentally unfit)

I'm with you. Also not implying that ashnikes is a 'retard.'

"retard" is indeed a bad choice of words. I am sorry for that.

I knew and know better...

Is imbecile a better choice of word? ;)

They call that stalking or window peeping in my neighborhood.

Personally, this seems like a really bad idea. While many folks would be receptive to being spooked on a FTF run by the cache owner, you can't assume everybody will be as tolerant. Something I've learned during a lifetime as a law enforcement officer is that folks can display some pretty odd behavior when they are frightened, up to and including acts of violence.

I do like the thought of meeting the FTF crew, but I would not be covert about it.

Maybe set up a card table? a folding chair? portable radio? Some nice beverages?

Maybe a big sign that reads, "I'm the cache owner, not a serial killer"?

That seems a lot less likely to end in bloodshed than jumping out of the shadows yelling "Boo!". ;)

[snip]

I do like the thought of meeting the FTF crew, but I would not be covert about it.

Maybe set up a card table? a folding chair? portable radio? Some nice beverages?

Maybe a big sign that reads, "I'm the cache owner, not a serial killer"?

That seems a lot less likely to end in bloodshed than jumping out of the shadows yelling "Boo!". :D

Riff, this sounds like a great idea! Next time you place a cache hip deep in the swamp, I'm gonna be looking for the entertainment table. If you could manage to bring a grill and make a couple of scorched hot dogs, I'll bring an imported adult beverage or two. :D

Much better than hopping out to say "Boo!" at someone. ;)

Now why does this one remind me of all those "Do you carry a gun while caching?" threads?

Seriously, Ashnicks this is a very bad idea.

I carry a hand gun and I am a good shot with it. I also really dislike being startled and I will aim center mass and deal with the aftermath later.

If you really want to meet the FTFer, put a note in the cache that tells them that they should swing by your address and have a drink or something.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I carry a hand gun and I am a good shot with it. I also really dislike being startled and I will aim center mass and deal with the aftermath later.

If this is true, then you should seriously re-think your decision to carry a handgun.

"He startled me" is really not an acceptable reason to use deadly force.

If this is true, then you should seriously re-think your decision to carry a handgun.

I seriously hope to never have to use the thing, but I do have it.

I also doubt I'll ever be caching in an area where my first thought would be "some one is trying to kill me " and fire on some one. Around here I'm more likely to run into a bear (not that I'd shoot a bear either).

Gun safety is very important- major rules being that you never aim at something you aren't prepared to destroy and identify your target (No VIP Cheney style moves).

*The above statement was meant to be a caution for Ashnikes- to remind him that startling people he doesn't know can have unhappy outcomes.

** I also don't carry a gun geocaching or at work. So more accuratly it would travel around with me in the car.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

Exactly, its people like him that give guns a bad name.

Hey MJS, what are you going to do with those legs that came off in your hand?

?

Are you suggesting that I run away? That could be a valild option depending on the location.

In this case I'm thinking specifically of an Ashnikes cache that might or might not be near a dumpster and may or may not have a valid exit point.

Being a fairly petite female I don't want to get into a physical altercation.

The best solution would be situational awareness, but some one jumping out of the shadows by a dumpster isn't going to get a warm welcome from me. (Again assuming that this is a dumpster hide by Ashniks).

Wait! Is there a guideline deep inside the Geo-Bible of harassing the finders? *sarcasm*

Some states have laws about interfering with / harassing 'hunters' during hunting season... Are we not all 'hunters' pursuing our 'game'???

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc
sigh,

how did i know this topic would end in a discussion on gun control?

It hasn't ended yet. It may very well end in a discussion of ashnikes control. :P

B)

At least we've got OT.

*This is my last post on the matter.

** I really need to go and do the 'ignore' filter thing so I don't get sucked into these things. *Bink blink* But it is like watching a train wreck and I just can't!

I mentioned above this was a cache near an old navy hospital, not a dumpster cache, i only have one of those, actually i only have 6 published hides, so im sure it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure out which one i was referring to,

as far as me scaring you, and you shooing me in return, it would be rather difficult to shoot me if your gun is all the way in your car, and you followed the instructions on the cache page which tell you to park across the street.

as far as harassing, doesnt that word mean you continue to bother people long after they tell you to stop? in this case i would be surprising them once, then explaining to them it was my cache, and i was trying to give them their FTF prise, which was a bit of a spook,

obviously i would have the advantage, and not jump out at people i think couldnt handle it,

I mentioned above this was a cache near an old navy hospital, not a dumpster cache, i only have one of those, actually i only have 6 published hides, so im sure it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure out which one i was referring to,

as far as me scaring you, and you shooing me in return, it would be rather difficult to shoot me if your gun is all the way in your car, and you followed the instructions on the cache page which tell you to park across the street.

as far as harassing, doesnt that word mean you continue to bother people long after they tell you to stop? in this case i would be surprising them once, then explaining to them it was my cache, and i was trying to give them their FTF prise, which was a bit of a spook,

obviously i would have the advantage, and not jump out at people i think couldnt handle it,

<sarcasm>Sounds like a great prize. Yeah. Definitely worth having. Getting scared by the King of Dumpster Diving</sarcasm>

Man, am I glad I live far enough away I don't have to worry about putting these caches on the ignore list.

I had an encounter early on with a vetran cacher. He pretended to be a concerned citizen and intimidate me. I was caching with my 7 year old daughter. Along came another cacher with his kids, both under 10. He proceeded with his act. Thankfully we sent the kids over to where the cache was hidden to search while this guy was doing what he was doing. No need for them to hate going geocaching because of people like this. There was another cacher showed up who knew this guy and the show was over.

I ended up friends with the other family who was harrassed so something good came out of this.

If you decide to do this, think first, you may turn someone right off of geocaching. They may think it is hillarious. Or as others have said you might get shot by someone who is carrying a gun and feels threatened.

?

Are you suggesting that I run away? That could be a valild option depending on the location.

In this case I'm thinking specifically of an Ashnikes cache that might or might not be near a dumpster and may or may not have a valid exit point.

Being a fairly petite female I don't want to get into a physical altercation.

The best solution would be situational awareness, but some one jumping out of the shadows by a dumpster isn't going to get a warm welcome from me. (Again assuming that this is a dumpster hide by Ashniks).

Hmmn? I have thoughts on the matter but perhaps this has gone far enough astray.

I have shouted "GEO-POLICE, HAND OVER THE CACHE!" from a distance as I approached someone obviously searching for a cache. Startles people but I've never seen anyone react violently. Usually gets a chuckle.

Hmmn? I have thoughts on the matter but perhaps this has gone far enough astray.

I have shouted "GEO-POLICE, HAND OVER THE CACHE!" from a distance as I approached someone obviously searching for a cache. Startles people but I've never seen anyone react violently. Usually gets a chuckle.

"GEO-POLICE, HAND OVER THE CACHE!"

Now that is funny. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

*Dang it. I couldn't keep away. Trying again to make this my last post on the topic.

"GEO-POLICE, HAND OVER THE CACHE!"

Now that is funny. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

*Dang it. I couldn't keep away. Trying again to make this my last post on the topic.

May just as well surrender to it. We're just going to suck you right back into it. B)

another issue with the photo idea, one would have to spend some time photoshopping out the face of the ftf, in case that person was one of those "I don't want my picture on the internet" types.

I'm thinking of ways to talk myself out of it... if you can't tell.

There is a cache (yes the one that needs archiving..) that I can see from my house, but it's really hard to see my house from the cache (due to trees and a river) Ever since this thread came up I've been thinking about training my camera on it and trying to get a shot of the finder. Best of both worlds, I can be a creep, and nobody will know. (untill your picture ends up on the internet of course, but I'm working on that)

There is a cache (yes the one that needs archiving..) that I can see from my house, but it's really hard to see my house from the cache (due to trees and a river) Ever since this thread came up I've been thinking about training my camera on it and trying to get a shot of the finder. Best of both worlds, I can be a creep, and nobody will know. (untill your picture ends up on the internet of course, but I'm working on that)

I read about one multi which had the first and last stages visible from the house of the owner, but the middle stage farther away. The owner would take a picture of cachers searching for the first stage, print it off, and then leave it in the last stage. The finder would have gotten quite a surprise when he found the final stage and with no danger of anyone getting shot.

Personally, this seems like a really bad idea. While many folks would be receptive to being spooked on a FTF run by the cache owner, you can't assume everybody will be as tolerant. Something I've learned during a lifetime as a law enforcement officer is that folks can display some pretty odd behavior when they are frightened, up to and including acts of violence.

You mean like this?

I read about one multi which had the first and last stages visible from the house of the owner, but the middle stage farther away. The owner would take a picture of cachers searching for the first stage, print it off, and then leave it in the last stage. The finder would have gotten quite a surprise when he found the final stage and with no danger of anyone getting shot.

This sounds like fun. It would certainly have me looking over my shoulder.

I was out doing a secret cache one night. On the way nature called and I answered it beside a tree. I continued on the cache and about 30m away I hear a voice "are you looking for the secret cache?" Looking through the trees I spot the hider with his video camera. This is his one of his filming locations. I was thinking on my way out, I hope the tree wasn't in his frame. I haven't seen it on YouTube yet.

another issue with the photo idea, one would have to spend some time photoshopping out the face of the ftf, in case that person was one of those "I don't want my picture on the internet" types.

Not a lawyer here but i don't think you can expect privacy from cameras when you venture out in public. How many web cameras are there in public places? They certainly don't get signed releases from everyone who walks into frame.

Not a lawyer here but i don't think you can expect privacy from cameras when you venture out in public. How many web cameras are there in public places? They certainly don't get signed releases from everyone who walks into frame.

no, but they don't end up on the internet most of the time.

and if you look back at some past threads you will find that there are some geocachers who are adimatley opposed to having their picture posted along with their username. I'm not included, a little snooping will reveal hundreds of pictures of me all over the interweb.