when you go shopping now do you....

When you go shopping now do you look for containers that might work as geocaches? for example have you switched your coffee purchases from a bag to a can so you can use the can later as a geocache?

No. Coffee is too important to drink crappy coffee just to reuse the container for a geocache. It would probably suck as a geocahe anyway. I would reuse the container to store nails or some other crap in my basement. I have no interest in dealing with a zillion comments of "log book soaked" just for the sake of reusing a coffee can.

Yeah, in a choice between drinking the right coffee and being able to use the container as a cache the right coffee wins every time.
Not to mention, if the coffee comes in a container that would make a good cache (e.g., Lock & Lock containers), then the company is probably investing too much in their containers, and not enough in their coffee.

We occasionally get semi-disposable containers "free" when we purchase something, but semi-disposable containers make poor caches. I'd rather pay a few bucks for something I know is durable and waterproof, given the time and energy I'll invest in camouflaging the container and placing the cache.

Have we been ashnikesed again??

Coffee cans are terrible containers!

But, I've found some interesting things in TJMaxx, while my laundry is washing. Small bronze hare statue. Stuffed shock-mounting foam up his butt, with a hole for a bison tube. Hid him in a tree stump in the woods. His name is Arneb. Yes. My micro in the woods. People enjoy findng him...

When you go shopping now do you look for containers that might work as geocaches? for example have you switched your coffee purchases from a bag to a can so you can use the can later as a geocache?

Absolutely not. Containers used for food attract animals (even in the city), and there's no way a coffee container can stand up to the elements where I live.

Absolutely not. Containers used for food attract animals (even in the city), and there's no way a coffee container can stand up to the elements where I live.

I agree with you for the most part but I have seen several of those red Folgers coffee containers last for several years here.

I agree with you for the most part but I have seen several of those red Folgers coffee containers last for several years here.

+1

I wouldn't purchase an item just because it came with a potential cache container. I'd just by the item I really wanted and move a few aisles over to where the lock'n'locks are kept and select one of those.

Years? Really?

"Joined: 18-October 09"

The Folgers containers have a tendency to disintegrate quite suddenly, and the lids are crap.

And why anyone would buy Folgers is beyond me. I don't even drink coffee and I know better than to inflict that on anybody.

Ahhhhhhhhh. the soggy moldy folgers coffee can cache hide.

I do this though.

if it comes down to two containers ones a glass jar and ones a widemouthed plastic container, the plastic one wins[and it dont go in the dump when its empty]

Unless you know of a store that sells nachos in an ammo can.

You just described Nirvahna! ;)

Back on topic: One side effect of me being woefully addicted to this game is that I tend to view the world through cacher's eyes. As I shop I constantly find myself evaluating things, scoring them for their caching potential. Personally I think coffee containers, (both metal & plastic), make for awful cache containers, as I have never found one that was dry inside. However, I have found things that I thought would be really kewl.

i do sort of. i know now to not look at the peanut butter aisle... or the coffee aisle or the disposable tupperware aisle. none of those aisles have containers good for caching. i've seen some of each....all had logs that were mildewed or currently had water sitting in the bottom.

Years? Really?

The Folgers containers have a tendency to disintegrate quite suddenly, and the lids are crap.

And why anyone would buy Folgers is beyond me. I don't even drink coffee and I know better than to inflict that on anybody.

He didn't say they were his caches. They could've been placed years ago by someone else and found recently in good shape.

I agree with the folgers sentiment. I am a coffee fiend and even if I believed the cans made decent containers, a free container would not be worth drinking that! I aim for the lock-n-lock aisle and buy clean ones that won't attract animals (even so, I've had a bear munch on a lock-n-lock) or plan a day at the shore and head down to the englishtown (nj) fleamarket for cheap ammo cans.

Years? Really?

He didn't say they were his caches. They could've been placed years ago by someone else and found recently in good shape.

I agree with the folgers sentiment. I am a coffee fiend and even if I believed the cans made decent containers, a free container would not be worth drinking that! I aim for the lock-n-lock aisle and buy clean ones that won't attract animals (even so, I've had a bear munch on a lock-n-lock) or plan a day at the shore and head down to the englishtown (nj) fleamarket for cheap ammo cans.

Exactly.

I have no idea what the date was when I joined this site has to do with when someone else places a cache?

I have never seen one "disintegrate quite suddenly". How is that even possible?

As for the taste of Folgers, I have no idea. I don't drink coffee.

I could discuss Bourbon for hours but those bottles don't make such good cache containers.

I have no idea what the date was when I joined this site has to do with when someone else places a cache?

I could discuss Bourbon for hours but those bottles don't make such good cache containers.

How can you see a cache last for years if you've only been caching for less than a year? Do you know the exact history of every cache container you've found?

Plastics are not inert. When you put a plastic container outside, it's exposed to temperature changes, UV light, moisture, etc. All of these things work on the chemical composition of the plastic over time. Eventually the plastic becomes weak and brittle, and then it doesn't take much for the container to break. This often happens quite suddenly, especially with containers like those Folgers cans where the plastic is very thin and relies on a certain amount of pliability to stay intact.

Imagine someone dipping a rose in liquid nitrogen and then hitting it with a hammer.

Plastics intended for long-term use are treated with stabilizers so they can better withstand the elements. The cheap plastics in disposable food containers are not.

Science is hard. Let's go shopping!

I have a cream cheese tub that's been holding nails in my shed for no less than 3 years. Durable enough and "free"

Still wouldn't want to place a cache in one. Don't eat enough cream cheese to replace the container every time it gets cracked. If someone wants to, be my guest.

Food is not the only thing I shop for, and I have come across some cool containers in unexpected places.

How can you see a cache last for years if you've only been caching for less than a year? Do you know the exact history of every cache container you've found?

Plastics are not inert. When you put a plastic container outside, it's exposed to temperature changes, UV light, moisture, etc. All of these things work on the chemical composition of the plastic over time. Eventually the plastic becomes weak and brittle, and then it doesn't take much for the container to break. This often happens quite suddenly, especially with containers like those Folgers cans where the plastic is very thin and relies on a certain amount of pliability to stay intact.

Imagine someone dipping a rose in liquid nitrogen and then hitting it with a hammer.

Plastics intended for long-term use are treated with stabilizers so they can better withstand the elements. The cheap plastics in disposable food containers are not.

Science is hard. Let's go shopping!

Thanks Miss Science!(or are you Malibu Stacey) I had no idea that a degrading folgers can would react just like a rose dipped in liquid nitrogen! It disintigrates that fast? wow B)

Perhaps you can show me where in my post it says I know the exact history of every cache container i've found?

I have a cream cheese tub that's been holding nails in my shed for no less than 3 years. Durable enough and "free"

It depends on the conditions it's exposed to and the amount of time. I find that with enough time, margarine containers get brittle even when they're kept in the house.

I had no idea that a degrading folgers can would react just like a rose dipped in liquid nitrogen! It disintigrates that fast? wow B)

Perhaps you can show me where in my post it says I know the exact history of every cache container i've found?

Imagine the difference between the rose before and after. Supple plastic vs. brittle plastic. The Folgers container won't break easily when it's new and supple. Once it becomes brittle, it's very thin and will break easily. Once the container becomes brittle, it will take very little pressure or impact to break it.

Sudden disintegration of plastic after exposure to the elements isn't some new and radical theory.

Suggested reading you can do on teh interwebs for free (I'll assume you don't have access to a scientific journal database). You'll notice that UV light is the big one - in fact, some researchers are trying to find ways to make biodegradable plastics by trying to make plastics MORE susceptible to UV light than they already are.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16344927

http://www.labtechnologist.com/Application...stic-weathering

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50559a035

http://www.zeusinc.com/UserFiles/zeusinc/D...of_Plastics.pdf

As for your other nonsense, you stated that you've seen these caches last for years, but you have fewer than 150 finds and have been caching for less than a year. How is it possible that you have personally seen caches in Folgers coffee containers last for years? Do you have another account?

I had no idea that a degrading folgers can would react just like a rose dipped in liquid nitrogen! It disintigrates that fast? wow B)

Imagine the difference between the rose before and after. Supple plastic vs. brittle plastic. The Folgers container won't break easily when it's new and supple. Once it becomes brittle, it's very thin and will break easily. Once the container becomes brittle, it will take very little pressure or impact to break it.

Sudden disintegration of plastic after exposure to the elements isn't some new and radical theory.

Suggested reading you can do on teh interwebs for free (I'll assume you don't have access to a scientific journal database). You'll notice that UV light is the big one - in fact, some researchers are trying to find ways to make biodegradable plastics by trying to make plastics MORE susceptible to UV light than they already are.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16344927

http://www.labtechnologist.com/Application...stic-weathering

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50559a035

http://www.zeusinc.com/UserFiles/zeusinc/D...of_Plastics.pdf

As for your other nonsense, you stated that you've seen these caches last for years, but you have fewer than 150 finds and have been caching for less than a year. How is it possible that you have personally seen caches in Folgers coffee containers last for years? Do you have another account?

GCM74F

I'll leave it at that.

*edited to remove wise words that someone took personally*

Edited by brslk
GCM74F

That looks like a pretty kewl cache. I see the original coffee container was hidden on 12-04-2004. In this game, that listing could almost be called antique! ;) I see you found it in October of last year. Was the container you found the same one that was originally placed? :P If you were able to prove that, this cache would certainly qualify as a coffee container that has lasted for years. If not, someone could argue that it could have been replaced the day before you found it.

(Yeah, I know. Folks will argue anything on the Internet) B):lol::lol:

GCM74F

That looks like a pretty kewl cache. I see the original coffee container was hidden on 12-04-2004. In this game, that listing could almost be called antique! ;) I see you found it in October of last year. Was the container you found the same one that was originally placed? :P If you were able to prove that, this cache would certainly qualify as a coffee container that has lasted for years. If not, someone could argue that it could have been replaced the day before you found it.

As far as I know it is still the original container. Perhaps the CO will read this thread and let us know. I see he posts in the forums from time to time.

GCM74F

Not to mention the picture of the wet logbook. Hardly a ringing endorsement of this container.

GCM74F

Not to mention the picture of the wet logbook. Hardly a ringing endorsement of this container.

I don't think one report of a wet logbook since 2004 is too bad. I've seen such things reported with ammo cans. I'm not saying they are a perfect container. I'm just saying there are worse.

Edited by brslk
GCM74F

That looks like a pretty kewl cache. I see the original coffee container was hidden on 12-04-2004. In this game, that listing could almost be called antique! :lol: I see you found it in October of last year. Was the container you found the same one that was originally placed? :P If you were able to prove that, this cache would certainly qualify as a coffee container that has lasted for years. If not, someone could argue that it could have been replaced the day before you found it.

(Yeah, I know. Folks will argue anything on the Internet) B):lol::P

Keep in mind brslk thinks ABS pipes are good cache containers, but won't explain how to make them so because it's his special secret. ;)