I CAN'T FIND ANY!

Claire167

I've been to three places to look for caches and haven't had any luck! i'm getting impatient. two of the locations i've been to at least 3 times. am i just impatient, and should i keep looking? or am i doing something wrong. i'm new, please help! ;)

What GC codes are you looking for? Or what general area are you in?

What are you using to search?

My first cache every trip is a failure. It goes without saying no matter how hard or easy it is I will not find it. I have to warm up my my cache eyes. The first few not obvious ones that I went looking for I had a hard time with them. You build up a knowledge base of how local people like to hide their stuff, the containers they use etc. the more you do this. Start with easier ones and build from there.

What caches are you looking for?

What GPS are you using?

Start out doing the easy ones until you get the hang of it. Finding a few easy ones will boost your confidence and make the others easy.

Tips

*** Look at the logs. Have others found it recently or are there a pile of DNFs? If experienced cachers can't find it the chances of a newby cacher finding it are poor. Stick to ones that have been found by others

*** You may want to see if there is an experienced cacher in your area that would take you out for a few finds. Once you make a few finds it quickly moves from impossible to obvious. Success breeds success.

*** Your GPS works better on cloudless days than on cloudy. Also, make sure WAAS is enabled if the option is available on your GPS. WAAS makes your GPS more accurate.

*** Pick caches of regular size and of difficulty = 1.

*** looks for stuff that doesn't seem right. Would nature pile those sticks or rocks like that? probably not. Someone hiding a cache might...

...and use the mantra "Where would I hide it?" That has helped us many times, as has thinking crafty. Check the cache name and do use the hints. Getting warmer and chilling out (hotter/colder) yielded a cache hidden in a working thermometer attached to a community hall nearby.

You'll get your first find soon, I'm sure! Good Luck and welcome to the forums and geocaching B)

Make sure to check recent logs for the caches you're trying to find--they might not be there anymore!

The first cache I went after? I searched for hours, and made three return trips, only to find out it didn't exist anymore. (It's been replaced now, however, and I have since logged it. (: )

A wise old cacher gave me a great tip. I found 3 today and I am only a beginner. I just started last week. Go onto Ebay a search for Geocache container's to get an idea of what they look like.

I had to do that to start the cachers eye. I was really frustrated, especially when the ones I couldn't find said they found it in the dark. But it really helped to see it for myself on ebay.

It aint easy, as said before try easy caches with regular sized containers. It took me over a year to find my first cache, not sure what i did wrong but i was near to quit the game, but i didnt :lol:

I'm having some frustration, too. There are very few 1's near us, but most of the 1.5/1.5's we've looked for couldn't be found. Not sure I want to continue this "hobby".

It aint easy, as said before try easy caches with regular sized containers. It took me over a year to find my first cache, not sure what i did wrong but i was near to quit the game, but i didnt :lol:

I'm having some frustration, too. There are very few 1's near us, but most of the 1.5/1.5's we've looked for couldn't be found. Not sure I want to continue this "hobby".

Don't look for Micro's. Read the cache description, avoid if it says Nano.

Also, a lot of cache owners try to disguise a Nano by selecting the size as Not Chosen or Other, so give those a miss too!

Look for Small as a minimum.

Don't get discouraged yet! I can tell you that there's a very common type of 1.5/1.5 that frustrates most people the very first time they see it, but is very simple every time after you know the "trick." Tell us a little more about the ones you're having trouble with, and we'll help.

Or write to me; I bet I can give you a hint. :lol:

--Q

This is a post I put on another thread...

To make things even more fun... a cache could be listed as a micro, but with the camo, could actually be bigger! One cache near us was catagorized as a micro and the listing stated it was a pill bottle. The pill bottle was inside a beer can reinforced with PVC pipe. Another micro was a film cannister placed in a hole bored into the bottom of an old piece of wood. Yet another was a small metal tube with a beer bottle top glued to the lid and stuck in the ground. We have some very clever CO's in our area that have helped us expand our "geosense"!

We are still noobs, but are learning to look at an object or area with the focus on "what isn't quite right" or "what is out of the ordinary". There are two micros on our list of DNF's that are kicking our butt, but others have logged them as "easy" or "quick" finds! And the opposite is true. We have found a micro that a seasoned cacher in the area has yet to find (which has us tickled). As with anything in life (like from riding a bike to changing diapers), the more you do it, the better you get!

Don't give up!

We made the mistake of looking for a micro as the first cache with our new GPS. It is one of the ones listed above as one of our DNF's and we have been there 4-5 times already. Our "Cacher's Eye" is getting better with each success, and then we go back to look again for our DNF's. Some caches that were "impossible" to find the first time, have become "obvious" as we have found others. As our name implies, we are a family and have found that more eyes looking can be better. What one may not see, another does.

I hope none of you new cachers have given up, it took me a while to get the "cachers eye" and start finding them, and the more you do the better you'll get. :lol:

A few tips:

As others have said, start by searching for tradionional type caches with the size listed as "small" or larger.

Read the previous logs and look at pictures in the cache gallery, other cachers may mention things that could help you find it.

Click on "geocaching.com google maps" and look at the sattelite photo of the area, you may be able to get a good idea of the cache location like this.

Read the hint, I've been caching for a few years and still use the hint most of the time.

Try contacting the owner of a cache you're having trouble with, they may be prepared to offer you more help.

Join local forums for your area and see if there are other cachers to go caching with, it's a great way of meeting people and you'll also learn alot about the hobby this way.

Good luck and have fun :rolleyes:

I am having the same problem I have talked to a few of my friends who have done some caching before and thought it sounded like a great task for the family we spent 4 hrs trying to find these three separate caches located within three miles of my home because the terrain was simple i have little ones we were trying to get involved i am using an older Garmin E Trex vista that has always been awesome to use for hunting and hiking etc. the three caches we tried seem to be active they are

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9d-ce64133beb5c

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...19-ee8b40e73f4a

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...41-7eb6f1c122b5

We have had no luck at any location at one spot we did find a decoy but could never find the real cache. my wife has a really keen eye so i thought this would be right up our ally but i am going to have a hard time getting her to go back out i am still interested in giving this a go can anyone give me any tips for newbies or suggest some caches in my area that would be good for beginners my zip is 97603 i would like to keep it within 10 mi travel from home would appreciate and help thanks

Buddy G

p.s. feel free to email me @ bgollihar@gmail.com

Edited by bgollihar

I am having the same problem I have talked to a few of my friends who have done some caching before and thought it sounded like a great task for the family we spent 4 hrs trying to find these three separate caches located within three miles of my home because the terrain was simple i have little ones we were trying to get involved i am using an older Garmin E Trex vista that has always been awesome to use for hunting and hiking etc. the three caches we tried seem to be active they are

We have had no luck at any location at one spot we did find a decoy but could never find the real cache. my wife has a really keen eye so i thought this would be right up our ally but i am going to have a hard time getting her to go back out i am still interested in giving this a go can anyone give me any tips for newbies or suggest some caches in my area that would be good for beginners my zip is 97603 i would like to keep it within 10 mi travel from home would appreciate and help thanks

Buddy G

Hi Buddy

Welcome to the fun of Geocaching - I'm sure you'll get your first find soon.

Just my observations (from many miles away) on those caches that you had a go at...

The "Bridge to Nowhere" had had regular finds every few days up to the end of May, then no logs until your DNF log recently. This would suggest to me that it might have gone missing. It's possible that others have looked for it since end of May but haven't bothered to log their own DNF. (If that's the case it's annoying - it's important to log DNFs)

"Crying Cypress" seems like a case of so near and yet so far: You were obviously very close as you found the decoy so if you'd stayed a while longer you would probably have found it. It's not nice getting challenged by an annoyed muggle but it happens occasionally. You did the right thing in backing off but it might be worth emailing the cache owner (through their profile) to explain in more detail what occurred and ask for confirmation of the name of the owner who gave permission then if you try again you'll be able to say with confidence, "It's OK, Jo Bloggs who owns this area knows all about it..."

As for the "Rural Cache", I don't know - I guess you read the hint? - Just try again another time.

These forums have regional forums for different areas of US. I guess you're in Oregon so you might like to try asking for a bit more guidance over on the North West (US) forum.

Good luck!

MrsB :grin:

...suggest some caches in my area that would be good for beginners my zip is 97603 i would like to keep it within 10 mi travel from home would appreciate and help thanks

Buddy G

I'm not from your area, but just looking at what comes up...what about Amos the Bear? It's large and a couple of the logs mention it was their first find. Popular Poplar looks promising, too.

Maybe someone else from your area will chime in. Don't give up; once you find one, you'll be hooked, and you'll find one soon.

--Q

Thanks so much for the advice i will look into the couple that were suggested I think i didn't do enough research and figured how hard could it be. It is definitely harder than it sounds but i am a determined guy and won't give up to easy

with only 9 finds under out belt we still sometimes have to return to find caches- like today we set out to find 4 and had to stop @ only 2 because of the bugs and i forgot the spray.. ok ok its my fault - i found that if your plate is too full and you dont find anything your looking for you get frustrated and nothing seems to go right.. my advice is to take your time but above that take in the surroundings - places youve never seen b4- nature. makes it seem worth wile even if you dont find the cache. & Remember you can always come back. Happy caching:)

with only 9 finds under out belt we still sometimes have to return to find caches- like today we set out to find 4 and had to stop @ only 2 because of the bugs and i forgot the spray.. ok ok its my fault - i found that if your plate is too full and you dont find anything your looking for you get frustrated and nothing seems to go right.. my advice is to take your time but above that take in the surroundings - places youve never seen b4- nature. makes it seem worth wile even if you dont find the cache. & Remember you can always come back. Happy caching:)

What a great attitude and advice! Geocaching should be about the experience, finding new places, seeing things you might never have seen otherwise.

Still, some finds now and then help! :o

Good luck in all!

--Q

To quote chai latte.....

"my advice is to take your time but above that take in the surroundings - places youve never seen b4- nature."

I have been to places I never knew existed right in my own "backyard". I have seen clouds of skeeters and donated more blood than I care to donate. I have seen ticks the size of dinner plates that you had to use barbeque tongs on to pull off. I have been poked by more thorns and pine needles than someone getting a tattoo. I have seen the way some very devious minds work. I have seen more of the outdoors and less of my four walls. I have seen myself get a little better at finding caches and thinking like the person that picked the cache site. I have seen myself enjoying something that some people would think is nuts. I have seen myself wondering why a man of ordinary intelligence can't find the "found it easy" cache that I have been back to three different times. I have seen more history in cemeterys and historical markers than most of the people that live here.

:o

Geocaching..........don't ya just love it!

To quote chai latte.....

"my advice is to take your time but above that take in the surroundings - places youve never seen b4- nature."

I have been to places I never knew existed right in my own "backyard". I have seen clouds of skeeters and donated more blood than I care to donate. I have seen ticks the size of dinner plates that you had to use barbeque tongs on to pull off. I have been poked by more thorns and pine needles than someone getting a tattoo. I have seen the way some very devious minds work. I have seen more of the outdoors and less of my four walls. I have seen myself get a little better at finding caches and thinking like the person that picked the cache site. I have seen myself enjoying something that some people would think is nuts. I have seen myself wondering why a man of ordinary intelligence can't find the "found it easy" cache that I have been back to three different times. I have seen more history in cemeterys and historical markers than most of the people that live here.

Geocaching..........don't ya just love it!

EXACTLY!! WHAT HE SAID

What a great attitude and advice! Geocaching should be about the experience, finding new places, seeing things you might never have seen otherwise.

Still, some finds now and then help! :o

Good luck in all!

--Q

THANKS I REALLY TRY TO STAY POSITIVE! SOME DAYS IT WORKS OTHERS, WELL ID LIKE TO HAVE A DO-OVER HEHE

Buddy G

To add to the Blorenges' advice, the last one strikes me as possibly being at a telephone box, if there is one round there? Although that said, there is the geocachers' trick of PAF (Phone A Friend) and that might be what's referred to. Usually though, it's much more fun to find it yourself, unaided of course.

Good luck.

I'm as frustrated as some of the other newbies. I've been out three times looking for Difficulty 1 caches to no avail. I even printed out the maps and took them with me. This last time I went looking for three supposedly simple caches. I had two cub scouts with me as well. We had a great time exploring, but didn't come up with anything.

The biggest confusion seemed to be my GPS. We're using a Garmin eTrex Legend. It seems like every time we got withing 15 to 20 feet of the waypoint, the whole compass would spin and send us in a different direction up to 200 feet away. It became really frustrating when we were bushwacking through some woods.

We were looking for :

Don't Fence Me In - says you can see if from the road, but we weren't able to find anything close to a cache. Beautiful property though.

DaToad's 1000th - was the one that sent us bushwacking. It's near the new firehouse, but the only thing we got were misquito bites.

Randaddy's #6 - A Real Jewel - is set up near the new Jewel Osco. Unfortunately, the only thing we found was their box shredder.

Anyone know an experienced cacher in Sycamore, IL willing to train a newbie? I really need help.

Thanks. B)

I'm as frustrated as some of the other newbies. I've been out three times looking for Difficulty 1 caches to no avail. I even printed out the maps and took them with me. This last time I went looking for three supposedly simple caches. I had two cub scouts with me as well. We had a great time exploring, but didn't come up with anything.

The biggest confusion seemed to be my GPS. We're using a Garmin eTrex Legend. It seems like every time we got withing 15 to 20 feet of the waypoint, the whole compass would spin and send us in a different direction up to 200 feet away. It became really frustrating when we were bushwacking through some woods.

We were looking for :

Don't Fence Me In - says you can see if from the road, but we weren't able to find anything close to a cache. Beautiful property though.

DaToad's 1000th - was the one that sent us bushwacking. It's near the new firehouse, but the only thing we got were misquito bites.

Randaddy's #6 - A Real Jewel - is set up near the new Jewel Osco. Unfortunately, the only thing we found was their box shredder.

Anyone know an experienced cacher in Sycamore, IL willing to train a newbie? I really need help.

Thanks. B)

can i make a suggestion? ever try Bing maps or yellow book maps? they have a birds eye view that takes you right there so you know ABOUT where to go- that's what i did till i got my gps. And extra set of eyes helps alot, dont give up when you find your first one you will be hooked and that will give you the drive to go get others! good luck

A wise old cacher gave me a great tip. I found 3 today and I am only a beginner. I just started last week. Go onto Ebay a search for Geocache container's to get an idea of what they look like.

I had to do that to start the cachers eye. I was really frustrated, especially when the ones I couldn't find said they found it in the dark. But it really helped to see it for myself on ebay.

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing...I know it'll help me also. I also Googled cache containers and came up with some interesting ones. If the OP hasn't already, check out the thread Cool Cache Containers - I think it is in Geocaching Topics - great ones there....

We were looking for :

Thanks. :mad:

A few more tips (may be above, but I've forgotten if so!):

1) Be wary of searching in areas where there's lots of overhead cover like trees because that does tend to send the GPS awry. Try several in the open with no obstructions first.

2) Where would you hide whatever size container the page says it is?

3) A lot of people just look with their eyes. Try "looking" with your hands too. I have at least one which requires that... (remember to wear gloves if it's a slightly suspicious area - mine aren't!).

I hope this helps - have fun and don't give up!

;)

They do that -- perfectly normal. Get inside their margin of error, and they can hop about like mad.

When you get within about 50', start paying less attention to the GPS and using your cache-fu.

My first was a Legend and I found upwards of 500 with it -- loved it to bits.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I read this post b/c I am pretty new too (only 3 finds) and I thought "what a great idea! i'll go on ebay and look at geocaching containers!" i cannot believe how SMALL some of those containers are and how REAL some of them look (leaves, pine cones, bark, etc.) almost makes me want to give up! LOL...oh well, for now I will stick to looking for bigger ones until I get better at this. :(

I am new to this too, and have been on two geocaching adventures, and I can't find any either. I went alone, and I think I'll bring a second set of eyes with me next time to help. I also found my GPS go kind of wonky when I was within a few feet. I'm loving the tips here though, and I'm not giving up!!

Thanks. :(

Starligh, I'm a newbie as well and have run into the same issue. Using your example, here's a trick I'm using with my GPS (iPhone 4):

At a spot before the compass goes crazy, visualize the path the compass is pointing you. Then move to an open spot that's somewhat perpendicular to that line (the should be at least 15-30 ft off of the imaginary line) and visualize the path the compass is pointing you. Where do these two lines meet? That's the area you should look. This is easier with two people and easier still with two people wielding GPS's. It's easier to do, than it is to describe.

Thanks. :(

Starligh, I'm a newbie as well and have run into the same issue. Using your example, here's a trick I'm using with my GPS (iPhone 4):

At a spot before the compass goes crazy, visualize the path the compass is pointing you. Then move to an open spot that's somewhat perpendicular to that line (the should be at least 15-30 ft off of the imaginary line) and visualize the path the compass is pointing you. Where do these two lines meet? That's the area you should look. This is easier with two people and easier still with two people wielding GPS's. It's easier to do, than it is to describe.

I've suggested a similar approach. Basically it boils down to learning to estimate distances. As you're walking toward the cache location most GPS receivers will tell you the distance to the waypoint. When you get to 100 feet or so, look in the general direction the arrow is pointing (it works when navigating using a GPS map as well) and look for some sort of object which might contain the cache that is about 100' away (by your estimation). Head directly toward that spot (forget about the GPS at this point) and start looking for the container. One of most common mistakes that new geocacher make is to rely too much on the GPS once you get within 100'. If you're not getting good satellite reception you can follow the arrow on your GPS in circles for a long time trying to get it to show zero feet to the waypoint. Meanwhile, 25 feet away there might be a large tree with a big hole in it that contains the cache.

This is a great thread! I've wanted to get my kids into geocaching for quite some time and deiceded this was when that would happen. We picked two very close to our house and headed out today but had no luck. It was very frustrating becuase we found all the other "markers" in the discriptions and hints, but no caches. After this post I'm off to ebay to see what the containers look like. I feel much better after reading the posts of the experienced cachers that it takes practice to develope an "eye' and be able to find them. We will head back tomorrow to give it another try. Thanks so much for the great advise!

If you can set your GPS to also display accuracy as well as distance you will have a good idea when you're real close. If it says the cache is 10 feet away due north but it's only accurate to 20 feet... Guess where it is...

While looking the other day I had my GPS tell me I was at ground zero twice with an accuracy of 16 feet... about 30 feet apart. Admittedly I was on some very rugged terrain with lots of tree and cloud cover at the time. Accuracy at one point dropped to 50 feet. I suspect that a better search of a wider area will help me find it.

Z.

I'm feeling the same way. I've found 1 but tried to find 4 now that were dnf. I'm looking around on the maps and they're almost all micros or small at the largest. I know I get close and the gps on my iphone goes crazy and such and I've gotten within a few feet several times but I just don't know what I'm looking for exactly. Any help?

The one's I've tried with no success recently: GCWK1M (Blue Hills Memories) and GCPYPJ (Along the De Anza Trail 10 - Camden Oak)

I'm feeling the same way. I've found 1 but tried to find 4 now that were dnf. I'm looking around on the maps and they're almost all micros or small at the largest. I know I get close and the gps on my iphone goes crazy and such and I've gotten within a few feet several times but I just don't know what I'm looking for exactly. Any help?

The one's I've tried with no success recently: GCWK1M (Blue Hills Memories) and GCPYPJ (Along the De Anza Trail 10 - Camden Oak)

Ultimately you're looking for something out of place. A good hint helps too. Don't be afraid to use them.

Some of my DNFs were missing, some I just did not find.

You need to look under things, inside things, and on things...

Some of the ones I've found... A Blinky on a sign. Couldn't find it at night, found it the following day with more light.

A log inside a ziplock bag slipped in a crack in the bark of a tree.

A chest inside a rotten log covered with bark.

A Mail box. No attempt to disguise it... It looked like a mailbox. But I just wasn't expecting it to be so obvious.

A pill tube under a small piece of wood.

So you can be looking for almost anything....

Z.

In addition to what Zwack_(I.E.'s) said, it might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Not all containers will be heavily camouflaged, but many of the smaller ones will be, especially in high-traffic areas where they need to be hidden well to survive.

I hope none of you new cachers have given up, it took me a while to get the "cachers eye" and start finding them, and the more you do the better you'll get. :lol:

It does! And it's kind of a subconscious process. You just know that that rock there doesn't look "right" and is probably hiding a cache behind it!

There are still a couple of caches close to my house I've looked for half a dozen times now but still not managed to come up with anything. Even though the "easy find" logs keep rolling in!

Edited by markhewitt1978

This is a great thread! I've wanted to get my kids into geocaching for quite some time and deiceded this was when that would happen. We picked two very close to our house and headed out today but had no luck. It was very frustrating becuase we found all the other "markers" in the discriptions and hints, but no caches. After this post I'm off to ebay to see what the containers look like. I feel much better after reading the posts of the experienced cachers that it takes practice to develope an "eye' and be able to find them. We will head back tomorrow to give it another try. Thanks so much for the great advise!

You might want to stick with regular sized caches at first. They are generally in things like Tupperware, ammo boxes, peanut butter jars and the like.

Micros can be frustrating even for veteran geocachers so avoid them in the beginning.

The micros do seem to be a little annoying... I spent a good 30 minutes today trying to find GC295QX - should've been really easy, but it wasn't.

Tried finding GC173FN today for the second time (the first being a couple of days ago - know now that I really shouldn't ever fail to log a DNF, but, well, being a n00b felt a little embarrassed :anibad:. Won't happen again). I've been 'round that area a few times now over the two attempts, trying to find the darn thing, but I just can't.

I would love to avoid the micros, but it seems that most in my area are such. My first cache, GC13C65, was a medium size, and it was great to find it. Felt like a proper treasure chest, with loads of small trinkets and travel bugs etc., but it seems that, in my area at least, those aren't all that common.