Nanos... Geocaches or Letterboxes?

With absolutely no room for anything other than a small strip of paper, which is not even generally big enough to ad more than a few signitures before the log has to be replaced, how are nano's not letterboxes, or something else besides geocaches?

Nanos are not Letterboxes because Letterboxes must have room for a carved stamp. Letterboxing Here is a link for more research.

*This is the only post I'll make on this topic.

Some cachers are smart enough to just put initials on a nano log. Since there is a container that contains a log, it is a geocache. It is a good one for some locations, not so good for others.

Do you actually read the guidelines and helpful pages on the website, or just post in here for info?

The Letterbox Hybrid type does not indicate that the cache has no swag but instead that the cache contains a stamp used by letterboxers that should not be taken from the cache. Many geoacachers (rightly or wrongly) also use this type to indicate that part of the hunt for the cache will involve letterbox style hints.

I think you are looking for a term to descibe log only caches, or swagless caches. Several people have made the same claims that a cache by definition holds supplies such a food or ammunition and therefore by extension a geocache should hold swag. Other indicate the the log itself, even if it is just a rolled up strip of paper, is something being held in the geocache so it fits the definition.

Of course there is no reason to suppose that a geocache contains anything. The original meaning of the word cache has only a small correlation to a geocache. Just as the word cache has come to mean a certain kind of computer memory, or a set of files that store data retrieved from a network locally, with little relationship to the traditional meaning, the word geocache means what the community of geocachers may decide it to mean. IMO, it includes virtual caches and EarthCaches; I'm even willing to call a geocaching event an Event cache. The Geocaching.com website has guidelines for what it will list. Even these do not limit the definition of geocache. Other websites may be willing to list new virtual caches or caches that use a verification code in place of a signed log. Under the current guidelines for listing caches, nanos with a rolled up log scroll are listable.

ok so wrong comparison,

but still, how is a strip of paper a logbook? and therefore how is a nano a geocache?

but what else could it be?

Nothing it is a cache because it meets GC.com's requirements.

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with no logbook and just an object or codeword for verification generally does not qualify as a traditional cache.

It also meets the requirements for the other physical type of caches as outline here.

Edited by baloo&bd

Are you serious? I mean you have to be kidding me...

Nano's can hold a lot of signatures. Its in the way you roll the log. In a blinky its a strip of paper about 1/4 inch wide Rolled tight and it fits right into the blinky. You sign you name on the strip width ways, instead of up and down. In a nano bison you can roll a normal micro log and it will fit.

nanoblack.jpg

See how the log is? You can fit a lot of signatures on that. They are easy to make.

Any container that holds at least a log is a geocache.

Some of these questions are starting to get monotonous.

Nano's can hold a lot of signatures.

Not really. It is quite hard to write down longer names. At least for me it is a real pain even to write my alias (even when I use block letters - producing a real signature would be impossible for me on this small piece of paper).

I agree that what usually can be found in nanos can be considered as log-sheet or log-roll, but certainly not as a log-book. The definition of a traditional cache however still talks about a logbook which is at least inconsistent as so many other parts of the guidelines which change over time and have never been updated in a rigorous manner taking into account new developments. (Strictly speaking micro caches with only a log sheet cannot be traditionals according to the current definition of a traditional though it is obvious that this is not the intent behind the definition, but just a by-product of the fact that when geocaching started larger containers were common.)

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

ok so wrong comparison,

but still, how is a strip of paper a logbook? and therefore how is a nano a geocache?

but what else could it be?

Nothing it is a cache because it meets GC.com's requirements.

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with no logbook and just an object or codeword for verification generally does not qualify as a traditional cache.

It also meets the requirements for the other physical type of caches as outline here.

This is the correct answer.

Not really. It is quite hard to write down longer names. At least for me it is a real pain even to write my alias (even when I use block letters - producing a real signature would be impossible for me on this small piece of paper).

I agree that what usually can be found in nanos can be considered as log-sheet or log-roll, but certainly not as a log-book. The definition of a traditional cache however still talks about a logbook which is at least inconsistent as so many other parts of the guidelines which change over time and have never been updated in a rigorous manner taking into account new developments. (Strictly speaking micro caches with only a log sheet cannot be traditionals according to the current definition of a traditional though it is obvious that this is not the intent behind the definition, but just a by-product of the fact that when geocaching started larger containers were common.)

Ahh, semantics. The thing forums seemed designed for discussing. The English language is fraught with oxymoron's using words that seem to defy logic if examined closely that one would never question; Jumbo shrimp, boneless ribs, flammable vs inflammable, driving on a parkway, parking on a driveway, advanced BASIC, caring republican, bird dog, peace keeping force, objective opinion, modern history, Dodge Ram, however mention a logbook, which is intended to represent a record and someone jumps up and parses things out. Don't even mention online logs or logbooks.

So, referencing the title of this thread;

Letterboxing

1. See mailbox (sense 2).

2. A format for presenting movies on television that maintains the rectangular theater image on a television screen by reducing the overall image until the full width can be seen, resulting in blank space above and below the image.

cache

a. A hiding place used especially for storing provisions.

b. A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

c. A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place: maintained a cache of food in case of emergencies.

2. Computer Science A fast storage buffer in the central processing unit of a computer. Also called cache memory.

We don't store provisions and our intent is definitely not concealment, as we give the coords and often a hint publishing it on a very popular website hint, and these containers and contents would be near useless in emergencies.

We can start calling them geosharedorabandonedmerchdise or geocantainerconatingstuff, but that wouldn't flow well just as boxcontainingstampusingcluestofind would not and take to much space on stickers and labels.

So, most of us will continue to hunt micros, us signing as bbd (as you could use cza. come to think of it, I don't think the guidelines say you have to sign with your name, just sign), and merrily move to the next cache while others ponder why these containers and logbooks do not fit their definition, raising their blood pressure.we will be content it is just a game, free at that, and not meant as a constitutional amendment or contract that needs to be so carefully constructed as to withstand being picked apart when common sense clearly dictates the intent and generally accepted meaning.

"starting"???

He has no interest in learning anything other than how far he can troll before being banned.

"why when i can send mind control waves to forum members who will do it for me?"

And

"what's a guideline? is that like a new drug or something?"

And he says it's just his sense of humor...

I can't even bother to try to stay on topic anymore in his threads because they have no topic. They are just ridiculous and successful attempts at trolling.

OK... on topic. There is a vast difference between nanos, geocaches and letterboxes.

If the OP had even trid in the slightest to research things himself would know that. But then.... he did say the above. ;)

"starting"???

He has no interest in learning anything other than how far he can troll before being banned.

I'd have to be comatose to not have noticed ;) Generally, I just try to stay away from his threads, because there's really not much point giving him the attention he craves. What I meant by my one word post is that mchaos' post would be much more accurate by leaving out "starting to get".

Edited by Chrysalides

Nano's can hold a lot of signatures.

<snip>

Cezanne

Hmm. I can write three (readable) lines on one of those nano log strips - I use an extra fine point pen.

Ahh, semantics. The thing forums seemed designed for discussing. The English language is fraught with oxymoron's using words that seem to defy logic if examined closely that one would never question;

I agree - one of my points was about semantics. I do question, however, using words in such a manner quite often.

however mention a logbook, which is intended to represent a record and someone jumps up and parses things out.

I think that pointing out the inconsistency that in the micro "definition" both logbook and logsheet occur (meaning that they are not the same) while in the "definition" of a traditional only the term logbook occurs is not a semantical issue. Moreover, it will of course not effect my caching whether or not the term logbook is used consistently. Still it is a fact and can be mentioned in a discussion like the one here.

So, most of us will continue to hunt micros, us signing as bbd (as you could use cza. come to think of it, I don't think the guidelines say you have to sign with your name, just sign),

Actually, I personally do not care at all how someone signs his/her logs for my caches. I recently encountered however a quite heavy debate in Germany. A cache owner has deleted a log because

the log only consisted of a sticker and the finder of the cache had only filled out the date manually.

The reason for the log deletion was that this cannot be considered as signature and then a discussion

about leaving a sign and providing a signature started. It does not appear to be clear whether such log deletions are legitimate.

and merrily move to the next cache while others ponder why these containers and logbooks do not fit their definition, raising their blood pressure.we will be content it is just a game, free at that, and not meant as a constitutional amendment or contract that needs to be so carefully constructed as to withstand being picked apart when common sense clearly dictates the intent and generally accepted meaning.

Actually my blood pressure is not going up by an issue like this one and my caching experience is not effected at all. In my opinion, it, however, does neither cause more effort nor more time to come up with consistent definitions instead of inconsistent ones. I do not have to invest extra effort to realize issues like the logbook/logsheet example I mentioned above.

I become aware of them in the same manner as I will certainly realize if someone writes 2+2=7.

My main point is, however, neither about semantics nor about inconsistencies. If we agree that we allow interpretations of used terms and do not strictly rely on some definitions, then we will have to live with the fact that different people have a different concept of what constitutes a geocache. A magnetic sheet will hardly be considered as container by applying common sense, even less a graffiti wall.

Cezanne

...flammable vs inflammable...

That was a painful lesson for me many decades ago. Note to parents: If your kids are dumber than a bag of hammers, don't buy them a Mr Wizard chemistry set. Things might just go "Boom!". ;):D:D

Back on topic: The simplest answer is, nanos are "geocaches" because Jeremy says so. It's his sandbox so he gets to set the rules. ;)

I would like to point out that The Bell Dingers eventually went away. So did some kid from New Jersey in the Northeast forum Mid-Atlantic forum, whose name escapes me right now. That's all I have, thanks. ;)

awww but youde miss me.

I'd miss you, you provide much needed comic relief on these forums. Plus trolling back is sometimes fun :D

I would like to point out that The Bell Dingers eventually went away. So did some kid from New Jersey in the Northeast forum Mid-Atlantic forum, whose name escapes me right now. That's all I have, thanks. ;)

awww but youde miss me.

I'd miss you, you provide much needed comic relief on these forums. Plus trolling back is sometimes fun :D

weeeee!!!!