Collectable geocoins/lost

Dave60

I am not to sure about this...Geocaching.com giving people the idea that Geocoins are Collectable..To me thats Not right..they Should Not incourage it at ALL.

I had someone log one of my Geocoins.." I like these little coins"...IT has Never been seen again,I have emailed him but NO answer..

In the UK geocoins are not that cheap,so we don't buy them for other people to Collect !!

I am happy for them to travel far and wide,..but NOT end up in someones pocket

I am not sure what to do..not put geocoins out...yes but if we all did this..

I am not to sure about this...Geocaching.com giving people the idea that Geocoins are Collectable..To me thats Not right..they Should Not incourage it at ALL.

I had someone log one of my Geocoins.." I like these little coins"...IT has Never been seen again,I have emailed him but NO answer..

In the UK geocoins are not that cheap,so we don't buy them for other people to Collect !!

But, Geocoins are collectable. You don't have to send them out into the world- you can just keep them.

The ones sent out into the world are trackables and should not be kept. Some people don't know that.

*I'm not trying to defend coin stealers or anything just pointing it out.

Geocaching.com itself does not give people that idea.

What does happen:

1) Some do not grasp the concept of travelers, thereby thinking anything in a cache is SWAG. Heck, some even take the entire cache, thinking they are supposed to! Some hear about geocaching and start doing so w/o bothering to educate themselves about it. ;)

2) Some people are just plain out-and-out thieves. This problem has been around since time immemorial. I think it started about the time that the opposable thumb was invented! :D

3) Some cachers simply forget about them (other things too). It happens. :D

'Tis true, If you cannot bear to lose it, don't launch it.

But, Geocoins are collectable. You don't have to send them out into the world- you can just keep them.

The ones sent out into the world are trackables and should not be kept. Some people don't know that.

*I'm not trying to defend coin stealers or anything just pointing it out.

Coin Stealers are I think very low indeed,We buy these coins to send to all places,then Geocaching.com points out They are "collecable" So there is a free for all with Other peoples Geocoins...

If there was another site like geocaching.com...

If you want to "collect them" do so please BUT NOT MINE I have lost 5 geocoins & 4 Travel Bugs as it is.

There is a specific cache in NC a few miles from my dads house, where in trackables just go missing. Its like some one is watching it for trackables. I left one in that cache before I noticed the trend, and it went missing. I feel really bad, I wanted to see this trackable reach its goal.

As for forgetting about them. I some times hold on to them for a bit longer then I should. But I always send them off. I have one right now that coming with me to FL in Oct. So I will have it for a bit, but I noted that on the log.

I have seen many in very nice heat sealed sleeves with the mission note. Those are good because its unmistakable.

I recently got my first travel bug. Its been a while before I decided to get one, because I have seen too many go missing. So I got a patch that I put on my Geocaching pack. I won't be setting this one off into the wild.

I never expect to see any coins once they are released into the wild. But the majority of the coins that I placed in circulation disappeared rather quickly. Some of them after only one or two finds Its one of the unfortunate aspects of the game.

I tried putting notes with the coins (and on the mission page) asking that they be kept locally. That had mixed results. I also have tried putting coins out as "residents" of new caches that I place (or with the owners permission, of a few select caches with appropriate themes). That has worked a bit better, if only because the caches are generally more remote. But its not foolproof as people take coins without looking at the note with the coin or its mission page.

The first one disappeared about the time that a scouting troop visited the cache where it was placed. It made me curious and I made an unsuccessful effort to try to track it down because it was a personal coin that had been given to me. I probably would not have placed it in circulation today. Since then, I have learned to expect that they will disappear.

I started a geocoin memorial cache (the coin may be gone but the icon still lives) for all the coins that have disappeared, but its hard to keep up with them. I have several I could add to the memorial book next time I get out that way. I have thought about trying the hole drilling method, but have not done so as yet. If I like the coin enough, I usually end up getting a duplicate so that one stays in my personal collection. My wife wonders what I am going to do with my personal collection. Good question.

Edited by mulvaney

There are some folks who send out "proxy" geocoins. They take a picture of their geocoin, keep the original coin, but print out the picture, laminate it, and send that out into the world. So the coin can travel essentially, even if the original metal coin is at home.

I'm not sure if I would do something like that, but I know it's done. I keep my coins in a book for discovery at events personally.

There is a specific cache in NC a few miles from my dads house, where in trackables just go missing. Its like some one is watching it for trackables. I left one in that cache before I noticed the trend, and it went missing. I feel really bad, I wanted to see this trackable reach its goal.

Can you send me a link to it? I would prefer not to drop a coin in it either...