Complete state listing of all benchmarks???

ShaneN4Girls

I get a list of about 50 benchmarks when I go out in a 10 mile radius from near my home. I think a state list would have thousands. Note that there are some 720,000 benchmarks yet to be found in the geocaching.com database. That's an average of more than 14,000 benchmarks per state.

We've been told that pocket queries will be available for benchmarks before long. That should help manage the waypoints.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Yes. That would be massive. We're so far up on bandwidth now that it would blow our pocketbook to have that kind of download.

If you want a full state list, you can go directly to the NGS for their CDs.

The alternative will be Pocket Queries for benchmarks, which is a way down the road.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Another alternative (what I do right now in fact) is to use the "search for local benchmarks" box from the benchmark page: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

I plug in the coordinates (or zip code) of the location I'll be near.

That will list out the benchmarks within ten miles. (Example: JUST within ten miles of Omaha and Lincoln, I have a list of over 500 benchmarks.)

To download and work with the points, I used the EasyGPS download option on that page. *Remember that there's also a "check all" button at the bottom of the page* Once you download them into the free Easy GPS software, there's a lot of things you can do to the data.

After editing what I want, I upload the points into my GPS. From there, if I want a PC graphical plotting of where they are I can download the points back into DeLorme's street atlas 2003.

SA / PP-ASEL-I