Want to hide our first cache

SeabeeCouple

We've been planning our first cache find and have a few questions.

1. How long does it take once you submit the cache on geocaching.com for it to be published? Is it instant or is there a delay?

2. Is it always common courtesy to have a FTF prize? if so, what kind of prize?

Thanks!

SeabeeCouple

Edited by SeabeeCouple

1. How long does it take once you submit the cache on geocaching.com for it to be published? Is it instant or is there a delay?

Depending on your area it may take up to 72 hours if there are no issues with your cache. All reviewers are volunteers and most have a real paying job.

2. There are some geocachers in our area that are always FTF (they have found over 2,000) and we want to give some newbies a chance at FTF. Would it be okay to list in our description that FTF is only available for those that have less than 500 finds?

I don't think this would be fair. What if I had 3000 finds but no FTF's. I don't think one should put restrictions on FTF. That being said Groundspeak does not track FTF's so there's no guideline against it.

3. Is it always common courtesy to have a FTF prize? if so, what kind of prize?

I'd say pretty common for most peoples' first hides. As most cachers hide more the FTF stands alone as the prize.

The reviewers are volunteers. They review caches in their spare time. I have had caches published in minutes and I have had caches published in days. 72 hours is their goal but once in a while other things get in the way.

FTF is just a statement of fact. It isn't a prize to be awarded. Those cachers who are first to a cache again and again work hard to make it happen. They are willing to drop what they doing the instant they get the notification, usually on the cell phone they chose with caching in mind. It would not be fair to punish them for their hard work. And to be honest what ever value there is in being FTF would be diminished for whoever did get it. Hard to brag about being the first to get to a new cache when a large number of your competition was excluded from the race.

There is no need to supply a ftf prize. Do it if you want to but don't feel obligated.

1. A reviewer will look over your listing to make sure it complies with the guidelines (which BTW you should read and understand before hiding a cache). If your cache complies it will be published. This may be a matter of a few minutes, or a few days. It all depends on the reviewer's schedule.

2. I'm not into the FTF thing, but for anybody who is, how much satisfaction can you get out of it if it's rigged to exclude your major competition? And what are you going to do if someone who doesn't fit your requirements finds it first? Delete his log? If so it would be an illegal additional logging requirement,

3. FTF prizes are neither common or expected in most areas. I've put maybe a dozen in my nearly 300 hides and out of an estimated 2 dozen FTFs (I really don't count them), I've encountered 1. The only thing most FTF hounds want is a blank logbook. Use the extra money you would have spent on an FTF prize to spice up the rest of the contents for everyone.