Anyone ever seen a well done large "urban" cache?

d+n.s

I know that you should choose the cache size to suit the setting, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a well done large cache in a public setting?

The best I can think is a 5 gallon bucket in plain sight at a paint store...

Just curious.

The thing I enjoy most about geocaching is the, "and this has been here for HOW long!?" aspect

I know that you should choose the cache size to suit the setting, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a well done large cache in a public setting?

Just curious.

The thing I enjoy most about geocaching is the, "and this has been here for HOW long!?" aspect

but how many paint stores, store 5gal buckets of paint outside?

inside caches aren't allowed.

Just curious.

We are pretty new geocachers, and mostly have done the "urban" caches in town. While I normally don't like the caches on personal property, there is a "grandma" (that's part of her screen name) who has one right in her flower bed called "grandma's fruit basket" It's rated 1:1. It's in a rounded bottom planter with a rounded tupperware that seems to be a perfect fit. Once the tupperware is closed there is a pile of fake fruit to replace on top. It's very cute and the kids loved it! She can keep it maintained because she is so close, and there is great swag to trade.

General Crook House Cache - GC1G783

It's a ammo can, but so perfectly blended in that it takes a bit of looking. As you can see from all the logs! Without a doubt, my favorite cache in terms of camo. Nice location, too!

So, this guy was a very well-rounded crook, huh? Wasn't really into specific types of theft... just the general kind. :huh:

Seriously, though... I was hoping there'd be a spoiler picture there so we could see the camo. I am intrigued.

Just curious.

Caches aren't allowed inside? I must have missed that part of the guidelines. Can you point it out for me?

It's a ammo can, but so perfectly blended in that it takes a bit of looking. As you can see from all the logs! Without a doubt, my favorite cache in terms of camo. Nice location, too!

So, this guy was a very well-rounded crook, huh? Wasn't really into specific types of theft... just the general kind. ;)

Seriously, though... I was hoping there'd be a spoiler picture there so we could see the camo. I am intrigued.

I'll try to get a picture or two and send it to you. But only because you know chad!

I have one!! Of course, I dunno if you'd consider Junction City to be "urban." The only real problem I've had with it is that someone's dog barks when folks go to find the cache.

GC23NQZ

We've checked on it several times and folks are actually leaving some really good swag in there, so we've not had to restock it ;) Yay for good swag traders.

I'm excited to see these responses. One day, I would like to do something of the sort (when I'm ready) and I'm happy seeing some great examples.. although I wish there were more spoilers :D

Just curious.

I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't look out of place if someone stopped and thought about it. I just figure it wouldn't catch the eyes of the average passerby.

I also wasn't suggesting hiding it inside.

Heck I wasn't even suggesting it was a good idea! ;)

Edited by d+n.shults

I have one!! Of course, I dunno if you'd consider Junction City to be "urban." The only real problem I've had with it is that someone's dog barks when folks go to find the cache.

GC23NQZ

We've checked on it several times and folks are actually leaving some really good swag in there, so we've not had to restock it ;) Yay for good swag traders.

Oh that cache, I was the FTF'er and it was my very first FTF too!! I was driving all over the place like a newbie trying to figure out how to get back there!! Boy that day was raining like hell and the dog near by was another story. First time and last time I saw a cache that big. The swags in there are really nice. I should stop by again and see how the trading been.

Edited by SwineFlew

There is one just north of Chicago... I'll describe the cammo in lieu of giving you the number, because there isn't a spoiler pic, and I don't want to give it away since it isn't *my* cache. B) But you'll know it immediately if you've found it, and if you haven't, well, it's a TB resort.

The cache owner found the discarded container during a CITO event, and took it home and cleaned it up. It's basically a 10" (I think) diameter utility post. The bottom piece would go into the ground to provide cable access (it now sits on two stakes), and the top piece is orange and white with the appropriate utility markings. The owner glued a large plastic canister or tub into the top piece, screw-on-lid pointed down, so it stays very dry and protected. It's big enough for me to stick my arm in well past my elbow.

The cache is on the edge of a forest preserve, but it's not more than 30' from a very busy road. In the summer you can't see it for all of the growth, but in the winter it stands out clear as day as you drive by. I pass it every day on my way home. Now that I know that it's there I look for it, and I get a smile thinking about the thousands upon thousands of people that see it every day and just think it's a regular utility post.

Just curious.

Caches aren't allowed inside? I must have missed that part of the guidelines. Can you point it out for me?

Libraries would be fine. But a paint store would likely be considered commercial if you had to go inside to find the bucket.

The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

So, this guy was a very well-rounded crook, huh? Wasn't really into specific types of theft... just the general kind. B)

I'll try to get a picture or two and send it to you. But only because you know chad!

I'd like one too, I promise I'm NEVER going to Nebraska.