FL / GA style ?

I live in north Florida was doing some caching in Jacksonville,FL on a day trip. I came across sever caches that as hint or part of the description mentioned "hidden in the FL" or "in the GA style". I haven't come across this in the ones local to me.

Am I missing good info from these descriptions? I found the ones I looked for. Anything to this or just carry a banana stick for the off the trail stuff?

Georgia style can include hiding the cache in a vacant stump hole and covering it with pine needles or other fallen foliage. Stump holes are plentiful in Georgia and South Carolina due in no small part to the Southern Pine Beetle infestation several years ago which killed many pine trees. Pine stumps deteriorate pretty rapidly, leaving holes in the forest floor. Be careful not to step in one as you may need for someone to carry you home.

edit: completed my thoughts

Edited by gpsfun

Florida style - hidden under palm or palmetto fronds that have fallen to the ground

Nope. fronds on the ground are just covering camoflage like any other sticks, twigs, etc. "Florida Style" refers to hiding containers at the point where the stem of the frond is attached to the trunk of a Palm Tree... ;)

Nope. That won't work for a big ammo can. Crow is right.

Edited by Road Rabbit

Ahh, yes good info to have.

Had found the 'local style' caches, all but one was partially visible if you were looking for something. But one I would not have found without understanding the clue, if there had been anywhere else to hide an ammo box in the area. Palm bush (plenty of dead palm on ground) over a decaded pine stump, but no other place in the area for a ammo box so I started there.

thx

Edited by LongitudeLunatic

Florida style - hidden under palm or palmetto fronds that have fallen to the ground

Nope. fronds on the ground are just covering camoflage like any other sticks, twigs, etc. "Florida Style" refers to hiding containers at the point where the stem of the frond is attached to the trunk of a Palm Tree... :D

Nope you are both wrong. You can't hide an ammo box "Florida Style", you're right there. I guess until the Oxford English Dictionary comes out with a definitive definition there may be debate, but a clue that states "hidden Florida Style" still means hidden in a Palm tree, NOT under dead vegetation on the ground... ;)

Nope. fronds on the ground are just covering camoflage like any other sticks, twigs, etc. "Florida Style" refers to hiding containers at the point where the stem of the frond is attached to the trunk of a Palm Tree... :P

Nope you are both wrong. You can't hide an ammo box "Florida Style", you're right there. I guess until the Oxford English Dictionary comes out with a definitive definition there may be debate, but a clue that states "hidden Florida Style" still means hidden in a Palm tree, NOT under dead vegetation on the ground... B)

Comment removed in the interest of harmony, if not good taste.

Edited by Road Rabbit

Is it possible that "FL style" is a different thing in different parts of the state? I mean, Crow T Robot is a reviewer, so I image he/she knows what they're talking about.

However, here in the Tampa Bay area, the only thing I have seen described as "FL style" has been hidden in palm trees as Trader Rick & Rosie describe.

This is the second time in the last month that I've seen this apparent split in the way Florida style is now being used in Florida.

Apparently, these days, to more urban cachers, it means micro in the bootjack of a palm (or is that Miami style?). In the past it's has meant under/in the palmetto or palm fronds.

I cache mostly in northeast Florida (Jacksonville) and from what i have experienced "Florida Style" usually refers to the cache being obscured in some way by palmettos. id be willing to bet that it means different things to different people depending on what part of FL you are in.

I cache mostly in northeast Florida (Jacksonville) and from what i have experienced "Florida Style" usually refers to the cache being obscured in some way by palmettos. id be willing to bet that it means different things to different people depending on what part of FL you are in.

I'd be willing to bet that there are pockets of people in different parts of Florida who may be well-meaning but unfortunately are very wrong and are doing a great dis-service to the World of Geocaching by perpetuating dangerous myths that just cause dissention, confusion and heartbreak After all, look at how many poor lost souls actually believe that bison tubes hidden under lamp post skirts on the wrong side of the tracks in an abandoned commercial area of downtown Smog City are somehow even remotely related to Geocaching????. GEOCACHERS UNITE FOR THE TRUTH! :blink:

I'd be willing to bet that there are pockets of people in different parts of Florida who may be well-meaning but unfortunately are very wrong and are doing a great dis-service to the World of Geocaching by perpetuating dangerous myths that just cause dissention, confusion and heartbreak After all, look at how many poor lost souls actually believe that bison tubes hidden under lamp post skirts on the wrong side of the tracks in an abandoned commercial area of downtown Smog City are somehow even remotely related to Geocaching????. GEOCACHERS UNITE FOR THE TRUTH! :blink:

haha wow.

I'd also be willing to think there are people out there who are narcissistic enough to believe that they are some sort of final word on what is acceptable for game/hobby of geocaching. I think you need to come tell all the other misinformed people in the Jacksonville area hiding caches "Florida Style" to get their acts together.

On a side note I didn't realize people on here were so pretentious before i posted, jeez

Edited by Gidusko

I'd also be willing to think there are people out there who are narcissistic enough to believe that they are some sort of final word on what is acceptable for game/hobby of geocaching. I think you need to come tell all the other misinformed people in the Jacksonville area hiding caches "Florida Style" to get their acts together.

On a side note I didn't realize people on here were so pretentious before i posted, jeez

You've got that little pretentious poop Patrick down to a tee. He thinks he knows everything. He would be proud to tell you he IS narcissistic, if he only knew what that means.

Altho, in his defense, I will say it is refreshing to hear individuals stand up for what they know is Right, even if they ARE only 12 inches at the withers, because this is what he would probably say if he wasn't at the dog park right now sniffing other dogs' butts:

MISINFORMED PEOPLE OF THE JACKSONVILLE AREA: GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER!!! STOP THE INSANITY!!

Well, here in GA, anything hidden "FL style" refers to under palmetto fronds. And that is probably because we don't have many regular palms to hide micros in (which is good, since I deplore those dang pam tree hides and avoid them like the plague whenever we cache in FL). :ph34r:

Well, here in GA, anything hidden "FL style" refers to under palmetto fronds. And that is probably because we don't have many regular palms to hide micros in (which is good, since I deplore those dang pam tree hides and avoid them like the plague whenever we cache in FL). :laughing:

Well, here in FLA, anything hidden "GA style" refers to hidden under lamp post skirts by cachers wearing football jerseys of a team that has beaten down the dawgs 17 of the last 20 years... :huh:

Well, here in GA, anything hidden "FL style" refers to under palmetto fronds. And that is probably because we don't have many regular palms to hide micros in (which is good, since I deplore those dang pam tree hides and avoid them like the plague whenever we cache in FL). :(

Well, here in FLA, anything hidden "GA style" refers to hidden under lamp post skirts by cachers wearing football jerseys of a team that has beaten down the dawgs 17 of the last 20 years... :(

is there a point to this? i am not a football fan so you aren't offending me if that was your intent. :)

Found a cache today that said hid Georgia style and was located next to a pine tree (ammo can) buried underneath pine needles and branches. I found a Florida style that was placed 6 feet up in a palmetto tree (micro) and an another one that was covered by palmetto branches (ammo can).

Found a cache today that said hid Georgia style and was located next to a pine tree (ammo can) buried underneath pine needles and branches. I found a Florida style that was placed 6 feet up in a palmetto tree (micro) and an another one that was covered by palmetto branches (ammo can).

Time to hide your first geocache. May I suggest a film can six feet up in a Palm tree and call it a typical Florida Style Hide?

:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Trader Rick & Rosie