proximity issues

So I have a cache in my reviewers cue i just found out is 462ft from another one of my caches "as the crow flies".

This will not make it past my reviewer im sure when he gets around to finding it in his inbox,

my question is...

for a person walking from the active listed cache to the one im trying to get published, they have to walk around two big buildings, then wade into the lake to get the one im trying to get published. This means walking distance is much closer if not over the 528ft proximity rule. Of course rules are rules, and my reviewer has already stated thats his opinion on this subject matter,

which i said, both of these caches are very different themes, showcasing very different parts of this beautiful but very small campus, its not like i am placing two lpc micros across a street from one another in opposite ends of two chain businesses,

one is showing folks where a radio station is located, and encouraging people to go say hi downstairs in the basement studio to the local dj's who always love guests,

the other one is showcasing not only the lake the school is sitting on, but encourages its visitors to check out two very neat rooms inside the library that is next to the cache, (which was really the main purpouse of this cache but since there were issues with leaving it inside as well as the rooms in the building although 4 floors up, being around 320ft, from the radio station cache, I had to find some place else to hide it, the only really really good spot near there was the area where i have the cache now, which is as i just found out 462ft from the radio station cache,

opinions?

for a person walking from the active listed cache to the one im trying to get published, they have to walk around two big buildings, then wade into the lake to get the one im trying to get published. This means walking distance is much closer if not over the 528ft proximity rule. Of course rules are rules, and my reviewer has already stated thats his opinion on this subject matter,

not really "big" buildings there.... and a lake? good grief that's tiny! sounds more like a couple of shanties and a puddle.

I would also be worried about the agenda issue. Your cache page should not have an agenda such as promoting the radio station or library etc...

Not that I agree with that guideline but there it is.

feel free to check out the cache listing and tell me if you think its written with an agenda for promoting the radio station directly.

GC29D98

all opinions welcome.

as goes for any of my hides.

Edited by ashnikes

no the one in question is in proximity violation of the one i just posted,

the one in question is waiting to be published,

i posted the radio one because someone mentioned it probably had some sort of agenda advertizing for the radio station so i wanted to post it so they could easily find it, read the page, and tell me if it was doing that, or not.

sorry for the confusion.

All measurements are done 'as the crow flies.'

Occasional exceptions for natural barriers like rivers and cliffs might be made. I don't think you have any cliffs in Florida that qualify.

Be prepared to move your cache.

+1

You need to check for distance carefully before placing caches as exceptions to the guideline are rare.

Maybe the OP could make the new cache into a multi. He could have cacher visit the rooms in library he wanted to highlight and find information there to take them to a final the is at least 528 ft from any existing physical cache.

Stopping by a campus radio station or pointing out some neat architecture or other feature of a library does not sound like an agenda. A commercial radio station might have some issues - particularly if the radio station is named on the cache page. Interesting architecture at a commercial business would also have to be careful if either the business was named on the cache page or if the cache promoted interaction with the employees. But a college library would probably not have this problem.

I for one, do not approve of caches closer than 1/4 mile as the crow flies... even top-of-cliff vs bottom-of-cliff. Actually, I hate caches near cliffs where there is no indication of whether it is at the top or the bottom. When you are homing in on the blip on your GPS, and you drive up the hill, search, search, search, then down the hill, search search, search, up the hill..... It is very annoying. I'm sure some find it amusing, but I don't.

I too have found myself wanting to place a cache at a very interesting spot which is within 1/4 mile of a "pointless" cache.

Learn to deal with it.

hmmm....

my poor reviewer, must loath my new listings, this one for example ive been tying to get published for close to two weeks, cause i kept trying to figure out ways to get around this proximity issue, all this work to hide a dang cache, i think ill take my cache down, and see if i can place it somewhere else, AGAIN, or ill flip a coin to try again or forget it, since the cache in question is mine also i could move that one 50ft farther away, then recheck my coords at gz of the one waiting to be published and see if i was off before, and could maybe squeeze by the 528ft rule. jeesh what a pain,

hmmm....

my poor reviewer, must loath my new listings, this one for example ive been tying to get published for close to two weeks, cause i kept trying to figure out ways to get around this proximity issue, all this work to hide a dang cache, i think ill take my cache down, and see if i can place it somewhere else, AGAIN, or ill flip a coin to try again or forget it, since the cache in question is mine also i could move that one 50ft farther away, then recheck my coords at gz of the one waiting to be published and see if i was off before, and could maybe squeeze by the 528ft rule. jeesh what a pain,

Are you saying that the cache you are trying to place is too close to a cache that have placed?

yes, the cache i am trying to place is only 462 ft from a cache i own the one i listed. the radio cache i own already exists, and im trying to place a different one 462ft from it, which has not been published for obvious reasons,

Well... despite what I may have said and what you may think, I am not completely against you.

When I mentioned the agenda issue in the other thread I did also say that I didn't totally agree with it because I had a hide denied because I mentioned that there were local businesses in the area, I never named them.

In this case, I would just move one or both of the caches. You know that the reviewer is not going to budge on this.

Good luck.

hmmm....

You have to check these things. Its just something that has to be done. perhaps its a neat place to hid a cache. Make a choice. The existing one, or the new one. Which is better.

If both cache hiding spots are really good, I say make it a multi like others have said. I'd make the new cache the first leg of it. Then people would get to look there.

yes, the cache i am trying to place is only 462 ft from a cache i own the one i listed. the radio cache i own already exists, and im trying to place a different one 462ft from it, which has not been published for obvious reasons,

My general thought when I see proximity issue questions here is that if you're having trouble place a cache due to proximity issues then perhaps there are already enough caches in that area. I see from your profile that all of your caches are within a pretty small area. Instead of trying to squeeze another cache into that area why not expand your radius a bit and find a spot where there aren't a lot of other caches?

this one for example ive been tying to get published for close to two weeks, cause i kept trying to figure out ways to get around this proximity issue, all this work to hide a dang cache, i think ill take my cache down, and see if i can place it somewhere else,

It's quite easy to "get around" a proximity issue... just make sure any cache you want to place is more than 528 feet away from any existing cache.

It's not rocket surgery.

right, thanks,

ill go move it when i get a chance, and place it someplace else,

archive the unapproved listing, and make a new one,

That unnecessarily fills up the landfill with perfectly good bits. Just use the rejected page for a new listing. Everything on that page can be changed and edited for a new cache, no need for a new page.

I'm just astounded at this topic. I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly the same as the topic you just posted, in the last week I think. You know your reviewer isn't going to go for it, you know there was a cache within 528 feet because it's yours, you already got opinions about what to do in this situation, yet you post another topic trying to figure out how to get around the rules? Or just stating that you know you can't get around the rules?

What's your point? Really, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm not trying to be funny. What's the point of this thread? There's nothing here that you haven't said in the last week. Why is this here?

I'm just astounded at this topic. I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly the same as the topic you just posted, in the last week I think. You know your reviewer isn't going to go for it, you know there was a cache within 528 feet because it's yours, you already got opinions about what to do in this situation, yet you post another topic trying to figure out how to get around the rules? Or just stating that you know you can't get around the rules?

What's your point? Really, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm not trying to be funny. What's the point of this thread? There's nothing here that you haven't said in the last week. Why is this here?

well...

if you had read the entire post, its a little different, and the outcome is definitely different. (as I have decided to remove the cache in question) sorry to have upset you, remember..... breathe.