What would you do?

dorqie

A while back, as you may remember, I posted about how to ask someone if I could adopt their cache.

I sent them an email asking if I could replace the container, or if they would like, adopt the cache.

They never got back to me.

Others have posted on the cache page that they would like permission to replace the container as well, but I'm assuming that they never got back to those people either, as the container is still broken.

These people last logged in a couple of weeks ago, even tho it's been months since complaints about the condition of this cache started. Its just geo-junk, the log is not usable, and is basicly pulp at the bottom of a leaky container with rusty metal and liquid paint inside. These hiders don't seem to do any maint, because more than half of their hides are archived due to problems with the containers detiriorating.

Would you just go ahead and replace the container without their permission, or would you log a "needs archive" and free up the spot for someone else to place a cache there?

A while back, as you may remember, I posted about how to ask someone if I could adopt their cache.

I sent them an email asking if I could replace the container, or if they would like, adopt the cache.

Others have posted on the cache page that they would like permission to replace the container as well, but I'm assuming that they never got back to those people either, as the container is still broken.

These people last logged in a couple of weeks ago, even tho it's been months since complaints about the condition of this cache started. Its just geo-junk, the log is not usable, and is basicly pulp at the bottom of a leaky container with rusty metal and liquid paint inside. These hiders don't seem to do any maint, because more than half of their hides are archived due to problems with the containers detiriorating.

Would you just go ahead and replace the container without their permission, or would you log a "needs archive" and free up the spot for someone else to place a cache there?

one you use simply for complaints, and such like this, with no ties to your real name, or other username in it anywhere, and go about your business, do what has to be done.

that way you can do as you see fit without tarnishing your other name. you will essentially be anonymously doing the dirty work you think needs to be done.

one you use simply for complaints, and such like this, with no ties to your real name, or other username in it anywhere, and go about your business, do what has to be done.

that way you can do as you see fit without tarnishing your other name. you will essentially be anonymously doing the dirty work you think needs to be done.

I actually couldnt give a hoot what they think of me at this point, I might even let them know what I think of them dropping caches and not looking after them...

I actually couldnt give a hoot what they think of me at this point, I might even let them know what I think of them dropping caches and not looking after them...

i think i love you.

will you marry me, or do i need to put out an engagement ring cache to win you over?

Reporting cache maintenance issues is not "dirty work."

Since there has been numerous attempts to solve the problem, I think the next step would be a Needs Archive log.

Unless it is a grandfathered in cache and in an area where you cannot place another cache, then you should replace the container.

Edited by 42at42

Since there has been numerous attempts to solve the problem, I think the next step would be a Needs Archive log. Unless it is a grndfathered in cache and in an area where you cannot place another cache, then you should replace the container.

Depends on why it is a grandfathered cache in such an area. It is possible that it would be better for all if it just faded away. Not every location needs a cache.

Since there has been numerous attempts to solve the problem, I think the next step would be a Needs Archive log. Unless it is a grndfathered in cache and in an area where you cannot place another cache, then you should replace the container.

Depends on why it is a grandfathered cache in such an area. It is possible that it would be better for all if it just faded away. Not every location needs a cache.

That is true in somw cases but the oldest geocache in Ontario is in a Provincial Park. so if that was in trouble I would replace the container in that instance.

Edited by 42at42

There was a cache in an area by me that had been disabled for 6 months, no notes, nothing. I logged a note asking whats up with this cache? Will it be replaced whatever? CO hadnt signed in during that time either. I sent not 1 but 3 emails to CO over about 6 wks. I finally contacted the reviewer explained the sit., he/she contacted the owner who said they were going to replace it in a few days. Another month went by & nothing was done. I contacted the reviewer again, not to be a PITA but ask how long will this be allowed to sit with no action or response. It was archived by reviewer. I now have a cache in its place.

Just a note.....that CO still hasnt logged in & its been 7 months since her cache had been archived.

SO.......drop a note to the reviewer or just post NA, then do what ya wanna do. Good luck.

There was a cache in an area by me that had been disabled for 6 months, no notes, nothing. I logged a note asking whats up with this cache? Will it be replaced whatever? CO hadnt signed in during that time either. I sent not 1 but 3 emails to CO over about 6 wks. I finally contacted the reviewer explained the sit., he/she contacted the owner who said they were going to replace it in a few days. Another month went by & nothing was done. I contacted the reviewer again, not to be a PITA but ask how long will this be allowed to sit with no action or response. It was archived by reviewer. I now have a cache in its place.

Just a note.....that CO still hasnt logged in & its been 7 months since her cache had been archived.

SO.......drop a note to the reviewer or just post NA, then do what ya wanna do. Good luck.

i've done that on all the hides by ashnikes, the reviewer told me it will take about another week. :huh:

i think i love you.

will you marry me, or do i need to put out an engagement ring cache to win you over?

at this point I wont make any promises, but I will take a diamond lol

If you feel there is something special about the cache (oldest in the area or whatever) go ahead and replace the container. Otherwise, it sounds like it's overdue for a NA report.

...If you feel there is something special about the cache (oldest in the area or whatever) go ahead and replace the container. Otherwise, it sounds like it's overdue for a NA report.

But at that point the only thing 'special' about it is the cache page. New container, essentially new owner(s), proabably a slightly new hide style. Not enough left to be that special cache everybody remembers. Let it go.....

I've done both. There are at least three containers I can think of in my area that I replaced just because I felt like it. There are more than that that have been archived due to my NA notes. After almost 5 years at the game, there's little drama or outrage attached to it either way anymore.

i think i love you.

at this point I wont make any promises, but I will take a diamond lol

would you take a dumpstered ring pop instead? all i gots grape, but everybody loves grape right?

In other words, make a sock puppet account. That`s a banning offense here in the forums. Does that rule also apply to creating a sock puppet account for writing cache logs?

In other words, make a sock puppet account. That`s a banning offense here in the forums. Does that rule also apply to creating a sock puppet account for writing cache logs?

i seriously doubt making a sock puppet account is banable, but what IS banable is abusing your account, be it a sock puppet or not, by harassing people with it. which is what a sock puppet account would be good for.

...If you feel there is something special about the cache (oldest in the area or whatever) go ahead and replace the container. Otherwise, it sounds like it's overdue for a NA report.

But at that point the only thing 'special' about it is the cache page. New container, essentially new owner(s), proabably a slightly new hide style. Not enough left to be that special cache everybody remembers. Let it go.....

And if that cache page has many years of interesting logs and maybe a few photos, it's worth keeping alive.

I decided to replace a container near me. The cache owner hasn't signed on the site in years. The swag and log were OK thanks to plastic bags, but the container was cracked. All it needed to be viable again was a new container. Because of the bags it would probably have to linger somewhat longer before it justified archiving. If I were to re-hide, I would have picked the exact same spot. No one is going to convince me I made the wrong choice in deciding to replace the container.

And if that cache page has many years of interesting logs and maybe a few photos, it's worth keeping alive.

I decided to replace a container near me. The cache owner hasn't signed on the site in years. The swag and log were OK thanks to plastic bags, but the container was cracked. All it needed to be viable again was a new container. Because of the bags it would probably have to linger somewhat longer before it justified archiving. If I were to re-hide, I would have picked the exact same spot. No one is going to convince me I made the wrong choice in deciding to replace the container.

The page, logs and photos remain even though a cache is archived. They are not deleted.

Bittsen is right, feral caches need to be excised. Post the NM.

This is the worst possible idea. Is this high school? Create a fake account to bash somebody else? Come on man, this is why you irritate people. There is no reason to do this, and tons of them not to, yet you have to pipe up and let go the verbal diarrhea.

Back OT, it seems like a NA situation to me. Wait for the archival and then put a better cache in it's place.

i seriously doubt making a sock puppet account is banable, but what IS banable is abusing your account, be it a sock puppet or not, by harassing people with it. which is what a sock puppet account would be good for.

Go ahead and do it yourself, PLEASE, but don't fool others into getting banned....

... honestly, do you EVER read the guidelines, or do you just figure you are too special for them to apply to you?

Guidelines

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

What I do in cases like this:

- if the owner is missing, and the cache needs maintenance, and I consider the cache worth preserving, and I volunteer doing periodic cache maintenance, then I perform maintenance.

- if the owner is missing, and the cache needs maintenance, and I consider the cache worth preserving, but I don't volunteer doing periodic cache maintenance, I write in my log that the cache needs maintenance and suggest/ask if someone would want to maintain it.

- if the owner is missing, and the cache needs maintenance, and I don't consider the cache worth preserving, then I submit a "needs maintenance" log, and let the archiving process take its course.

- if the owner is missing, and the cache is confirmed missing, then I submit a "needs archived" log (after trying to contact the owner).

- if the owner is active and uninterested (not doing maintenance and not communicating), and the cache needs maintenance, I submit a "needs maintenance" log, and let the archiving process take its course. Even if the cache is worth preserving, if the owner doesn't care, I don't care. Maintaining his cache in this case only encourages him not to maintain his own caches.

- if the owner is active and uninterested, and the cache is confirmed missing, then I submit a "needs maintenance" log, try to contact the owner several times, then submit a "needs archived" log and tell the reviewer that my attempts contacting the owner failed.

- if the owner is active and interested (communicates, but real life keeps him from doing maintenance), and the cache needs maintenance, then I perform maintenance on behalf of the owner.

- if the owner is active and interested, and the cache is confirmed missing, I log a note with my findings. Only if I know the owner/had found the cache previously, and agree with the owner beforehand, I will replace the cache.

By "maintenance" I mean serious maintenance, like replacing a broken container or replacing a logbook. Simple maintenance, like drying out a wet container, adding some ziplocs or a pen, or putting back a container that fell out of its hiding place - these are things I do regularly.

There was a cache in an area by me that had been disabled for 6 months, no notes, nothing.

There's a cache in my area that, no joke, has been disabled for a little over *two years* with not so much as a note since either. I was actually thinking about it the other day and how it's doubtful he'll replace it at this point given the time frame. He hasn't even logged in since this previous January.

As for the topic on hand, I guess I'd just do a NA log. That's just me though. But if it was of some sort specialness, then maybe.