Paperless Geocaching with a Garmin Dakota 20

I have been geocaching for years, but recently purchased a Garmin Dakota 20 and a premium membership with the desire to do more geocaching and do it paperlessly. I don't have any problems getting the caches that I want on to the Dakota, but I can't figure out (nor can I find any info on) how to upload my comments/finds, etc...back on to the site. Is anyone using the Dakota 20 and can tell me how to upload them once I have found them? It would be greatly appreciated. :huh:

To be honest, I've wondered the same myself. What I'm currently doing is just recording "Found", "DNF", etc. on the D20 and committing any notes required onto paper, I then post logs manually afterwards.

There doesn't seem to be any way to enter your GC username and password into the D20, and no option to upload field notes or logs. For that, I haven't even found a way to view or edit comments made on the device. I wondered whether there'd be a way to upload logs via MyGarmin, but couldn't find anything there either. So I'd be interested if anyone has the answer!

Thanks so much Red90. That worked great! :anicute:

Maybe I spoke too soon......It said that it "uploaded 5" (which is what I had on there), but it doesn't show under the logs for any of the caches, or in my profile. :huh: How long will it take for them to show up on www.geocaching.com ?

Maybe I spoke too soon......It said that it "uploaded 5" (which is what I had on there), but it doesn't show under the logs for any of the caches, or in my profile. :huh: How long will it take for them to show up on www.geocaching.com ?

It doesn't log them for you -- you still do that under the "Compose Log" over on the right. This feature only gets you started. It sets the found/not-found flag when you Compose, it sets the date when you Compose, and automatically moves any field log info directly into the log you are about to Compose.

While it's a time-saver (especially on a high cache count day), you still have to complete the logs.

The good news is that your info is still there at geocaching.com, so you can go back to the Field Notes section and complete the job now that you know what's happening.

It doesn't log them for you -- you still do that under the "Compose Log" over on the right. This feature only gets you started. It sets the found/not-found flag when you Compose, it sets the date when you Compose, and automatically moves any field log info directly into the log you are about to Compose.

While it's a time-saver (especially on a high cache count day), you still have to complete the logs.

The good news is that your info is still there at geocaching.com, so you can go back to the Field Notes section and complete the job now that you know what's happening.

I see what you mean now. I hadn't seen the "field notes" area. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll get this yet. :anicute:

Log in, goto your profile by clicking your name on the top right corner. Scroll down until you see "Field Notes" on the right hand side. If you have successfully uploaded them, they will be there waiting for you to log your finds. :D

When I click on my profile, where do I find field notes, or where do I click on the geocaching website to get to field notes? I can follow the link or type in the link everytime, but can't find where to actually click on it in the site. Tks!

When I click on my profile, where do I find field notes, or where do I click on the geocaching website to get to field notes? I can follow the link or type in the link everytime, but can't find where to actually click on it in the site. Tks!

This was borrowed from the Magellan site, modified for your Dakota:

1. Go to www.geocaching.com and log in your account.
  2. From the Navigation pane, select "Your Profile".
  3. Under your status pane, select "Access Your Field Notes" (way over on the right hand side, and scroll down).
  4. Look for the Garmin Supported Devices and click on the link to upload your Field. (Note: Turn on your receiver and connect it to your PC with the USB cable.)
  5. -
  6. Click on the "Browse" button and go to the geocaches folder in the Garmin directory.
  7. Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt". (Note: The geocache_visits.txt file contains all the field notes and logs you have created since the creation of the geocache_visits.txt file unless/until you delete it when you're done - see Step 12.)
  8. Click on the "Upload Field Note" button.
  9. The web page will provide you with the number of records that were successfully loaded.
  10. Click on "Return to Field Notes" link.
  11. Your uploaded logs and field notes are listed. You now need to compose the log. Click on "Compose Log" for each log and you will be redirected to the "Post a New Log" page where you need to make any additions or changes and then select the "Submit Log Entry" button. Continue doing this for the remainder of the logs uploaded.
  12. It is suggested that now you go into the geocaches folder and delete (or move to your computer) the geocache_visits.txt file. The next time you create a log or field note, a new geocache_visits.txt file will be written to your receiver.

Edited by ecanderson