Getting your reviewer to check coordinats for proximity issues

What is the easyest way (from the reviewers prospective) to check coordinates for proximity?

I just e-mailed my reviewer with and gave him a link to a new planned cache (coord.info/GCxxxx style link). Is that the easyest way for the reviewer to get coordinates, or would it be easyer for him if the coordinates were actualy in the e-mail? Or would some other way be easyer?

ive got a related question,

in the field is there a good semi reliable way to check distance "as the crow flies" from your new cache to the nearest one to make sure its within the 538? ft rule?

the last two i placed were pretty close to the required distance, but i couldnt really be 100% sure how close or if they were far enough away or not.

in the field is there a good semi reliable way to check distance "as the crow flies" from your new cache to the nearest one to make sure its within the 538? ft rule?

the last two i placed were pretty close to the required distance, but i couldnt really be 100% sure how close or if they were far enough away or not.

Did you mean 528' (typo?)?

Simply stand atop your proposed cache site and do a "go to" the nearest cache(s). It should display the distance to them. If you are really close to the "limit line", adjust accordingly.

Did you mean 528' (typo?)?

Simply stand atop your proposed cache site and do a "go to" the nearest cache(s). It should display the distance to them. If you are really close to the "limit line", adjust accordingly.

...on your own GPS - loaded with all the local caches.

well....

as you all know gpsr's tend to jump around quite a bit, so if i can only get it to get me within 30ft of my cache, and the nearest cache is actually showing up as 500ft away, then i am not really sure if i am far enough away, so I was hoping there was something more accurate,

ive been going to google maps and trying to do it that way, but google maps doesnt accurately place your location either,

as you all know gpsr's tend to jump around quite a bit, so if i can only get it to get me within 30ft of my cache, and the nearest cache is actually showing up as 500ft away, then i am not really sure if i am far enough away,

If you aren't sure you are far enough away, then you are too close.

The coordinates you are going to submit for your cache, and the coordinates that other CO's have submitted for their caches, are the only thing the reviewer is able to check. There isn't anything "more accurate."

I'd send the actual coords in the email - not sure they can 'see' your page until after you click the 'active' checkbox.

I have e-mailed my reviewer the cache code before, and he was able to check on it for me, so it does work, I was just wondering what way is the easyest for him. Better for me to do a bit more leg work to save him some time.

The real answer to this probably varies from reviewer to reviewer. Around here they prefer you actually create the cache listing, make it active, and post a reviewer note asking them to check the coords but not to publish.

They'll review the location only, and anything else on the page if you ask, post a note, and disable the listing so you can finish working on it.

This reviewer would prefer that you load the coords into a cache, disabled, unpublished, and email me the GC Code. That allows me to use site tools to check it. If you email me coords, I have load them into a cache page. I just as soon that you do that work yourself.

Some reviewers would rather that you load the coords into a cache page, ENABLED, maybe titled Coord Check Please, with a reviewer note that you'd like the coords checked, not published. I worry that a cache in the review queue with no issues with get published - by my cat, walking on the keyboard.... not that I'd ever brainlessly hit publish without noticing the PLEASE DON'T PUBLISH note :huh:

ashnikes - in the field, you should have all the local caches loaded. You should be seeing .11 or .12 from your location to those other caches. Once you're back to your computer, or even from the field, if you have the technology, you can go to Hide and Seek a cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx - load your proposed cache coords into the Lat Long boxes there, and see exactly the distances the reviewer is going to see. Of course, the reviewer will also see the hidden stages of puzzles and multi-caches.

as you all know gpsr's tend to jump around quite a bit, so if i can only get it to get me within 30ft of my cache, and the nearest cache is actually showing up as 500ft away, then i am not really sure if i am far enough away,

If you aren't sure you are far enough away, then you are too close.

The coordinates you are going to submit for your cache, and the coordinates that other CO's have submitted for their caches, are the only thing the reviewer is able to check. There isn't anything "more accurate."

I use the following website as it seems fairly accurate http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators#coordinates

The just enter your proposed coordinates and the coordinates of the closest cache.

This reviewer would prefer that you load the coords into a cache, disabled, unpublished, and email me the GC Code. That allows me to use site tools to check it. If you email me coords, I have load them into a cache page. I just as soon that you do that work yourself.

Some reviewers would rather that you load the coords into a cache page, ENABLED, maybe titled Coord Check Please, with a reviewer note that you'd like the coords checked, not published. I worry that a cache in the review queue with no issues with get published - by my cat, walking on the keyboard.... not that I'd ever brainlessly hit publish without noticing the PLEASE DON'T PUBLISH note :huh:

ashnikes - in the field, you should have all the local caches loaded. You should be seeing .11 or .12 from your location to those other caches. Once you're back to your computer, or even from the field, if you have the technology, you can go to Hide and Seek a cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx - load your proposed cache coords into the Lat Long boxes there, and see exactly the distances the reviewer is going to see. Of course, the reviewer will also see the hidden stages of puzzles and multi-caches.

Thanks for that exelent answer. So, no e-mailing coordinates. It is up to each reviewer weather they perfer an enabled or disables cache page.

awesome, ill have to do this when i get a few minutes,

of course my caches are already sitting in the reviewers que, but it couldnt help to know, and use in the future.

as i feel i am wasting my reviewers time asking them to do the footwork i should be doing myself, with a proximity check, its really my responsibility, and just an extra step for the volunteer to do, so i was looking for a way to do it myself. ill have to try this method, and see what the results are.

Edited by ashnikes

as i feel i am wasting my reviewers time asking them to do the footwork i should be doing myself, with a proximity check, its really my responsibility, and just an extra step for the volunteer to do, so i was looking for a way to do it myself. ill have to try this method, and see what the results are.

In a cache-rich area like Ottawa, asking for the reviewer to check in advance of placement is pretty much a necessity. We have so many multis and puzzles with extra waypoints that it's impossible to know where all the proximity circles are.

The reviewers have to check proximity before they publish the cache anyway, so it's not really adding extra work. Most reviewers are happy to do the check in advance - it's preferable to sending a cache owner back out to retrieve a cache after the fact.

Hmm... i didnt know this, you learn something new everyday, well for my own benifit, so im not wasting a bunch of my time, ide like to know if my cache placement is in violation before i get to the point of hassling my already overworked reviewer about it.

That is not always an option. Keystone has a great story about a group who started hiding a bunch of caches in an attempt to "Battle ship" the final of a puzzle. As the reviewer he thwarted them by allowing one or more of the hides to be closer to the final in question than the guidelines normally allow. They are, after all, just guidelines. :huh:

At any rate nobody has, as yet, come up with a better way that reviewer input. It's that whole human judgment thing.

I'd send the actual coords in the email - not sure they can 'see' your page until after you click the 'active' checkbox.

Linking to a draft cache page with the coords completed is way easier because I can click a few magic buttons to test the location against the database. If I only have coords in an email it takes longer since I need to input them onto a cache page.

Hmm... i didnt know this, you learn something new everyday, well for my own benifit, so im not wasting a bunch of my time, ide like to know if my cache placement is in violation before i get to the point of hassling my already overworked reviewer about it.

So you're going to find every single geocache within a 20 mile radius of any potential hiding spot, just to avoid "hassling" the reviewer who eventually has to read the cache page and check the map anyway? Um, okay.

of course my caches are already sitting in the reviewers que, but it couldnt help to know, and use in the future.

Once you've written up the cache page, you can use the Nearest caches link right on the page. It's basically the same URL as the Hide and Seek a cache URL. In any case, it will show you right now if you're too close to another traditional cache, or the start of a multi-cache.

no, im going to look at the map of roughly where i want to hide a geocache in the future, see if there is a cache nearby, if there is, so be it, if there is one within a questionable distance from where i want to hide a new one, i can now go out to the location, and use my smartphone in this manner, and figure out if the spot where i want to hide my cache is too close or a safe enough distance away form the standing cache,

its not too much work, and it honestly seems like its my responsibility as the hider to know if my new cache is or is not within the proximity rule of another active cache,

im saying contrary to popular belief about me and my hiding habits, i would like to know how far away my new cache is from the nearest one, before i plant it, if its too close to 528ft, i want to be able to accurately figure out if its ok or not, before i send my page to the reviewer, not that i dont trust them or anything to do this for me while checking off my cache, but why should i waste the time out hiding caches all over the place if they are too close to other caches that already exist, my cache wont be approved, and the reviewers time will be wasted on my cache because i couldnt figure out how far away 528ft was from another existing cache.

I am not trying to oversaturate an area with caches, i simply wanted to place 2 of my hides in areas that had caches roughly 530ft away. I was trying to figure out if i was 528ft away or not, i am not creating power trails, i am trying to hide good quality interesting hides, blah blhablah now im rambling,

Once you've written up the cache page, you can use the Nearest caches link right on the page. It's basically the same URL as the Hide and Seek a cache URL. In any case, it will show you right now if you're too close to another traditional cache, or the start of a multi-cache.

well dang, that was the easiest thing ever.

this is way easier, this little clever link is a gold mine.

no, im going to look at the map of roughly where i want to hide a geocache in the future, see if there is a cache nearby, if there is, so be it, if there is one within a questionable distance from where i want to hide a new one, i can now go out to the location, and use my smartphone in this manner, and figure out if the spot where i want to hide my cache is too close or a safe enough distance away form the standing cache,

Around here you could go to all that trouble, find the perfect spot, submit your cache page, and then find out that the cache is too close to a stage for a multi-cache that starts 2 miles away. It happens all the time around here. The cache map you have access to doesn't give you the locations of intermediate multi stages or the final stages for puzzle caches. The proximity guideline applies to every physical stage of a cache.

Reviewers understand that it's nearly impossible for a cache owner to be aware of every single cache stage. They're there to help you.

There is a nature preserve I work at that the director wanted caches placed. She understood the 528' rule but said she had no objections if they were closer. They wanted caches there for the draw of people it would bring. I emailed my reviewer & was told they had to adhere to the guidelines. Well this is how I did it. Not the quickest way & it had to be done at home plus it also required at least a couple of visits.

Finding the location I wanted. Checking with nearest cache, adjust. Then at home I took all of the numbers & put them into the following conversion charts

1. http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html

2. http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

3. http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

I then returned to site to either place the cache or to make the adjustment & try again. It worked as I only had 1 out of a dozen that had to be moved because it was only 515'.

Edited by Mother Wolf

Ok, my cache that I requested pre-approval for the coordinates is currently listed as unactive (I havne't checked the little box yet). But it sais "1 user is watching this cache". It suprised me, but I guess it must be a reviewer (likely the local one I guess).

makes sense. Then he knows when you added a note.

is there a site or a tool that allows the hider to see property lines? apparently i hid my newest one within the property lines of a government building, it was well outside of the fence, and therefore i figured it was outside the property lines, any help?

So I take it you never sought permission?

is there a site or a tool that allows the hider to see property lines? apparently i hid my newest one within the property lines of a government building, it was well outside of the fence, and therefore i figured it was outside the property lines, any help?

It doesn't help you in the U.S. except perhaps to give a glimmer of hope, but here in Blighty there's MAGIC. I understand that geocaching reviewers use it in assessing whether or not a cache may require permission to place, e.g. because it's on land owned by the Woodland Trust, or a Site of Special Scientific Interest, or whatever. Very handy.

Where is that ignore feature again?

Google is your friend. You can search for local govt. maps and get this info. Also, in some areas googlemaps.com (yes the same one that your cache page links to) has property lines drawn on it, but doesn't identify the owner.

From the guidelines that you seem to be having so much trouble finding and reading:

As the cache owner, you are responsible for the placement and care of your cache.
In order to post a new cache and submit it for review you must indicate that you have read the guidelines as required.
By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

Maybe this version will be better for you?

Translation in very small words and short sentences.

It is your job to know who owns the land where you hide a cache. It is your job to do this before you hide the cache.

Your reviewer must have the patience of Job. ;)

Edited by wimseyguy

So I take it you never sought permission?

This was on land right across the street from a public park, well outside of the private property signed fence, that was surrounding an old navy hospital which has been closed for several years now. I figured where I placed my cache was public property and therefore no real need to gain approval. I have since been informed by my reviewer that my cache was well within the property line, and I had to either gain adequate approval or move it, so i moved it, since i wouldnt even know where to start to get approval for federal property no longer maintained by the government.

My question was asking did he just guess this was where the property line was or is there some sort of tool i can use to check next time around?

My question was asking did he just guess this was where the property line was or is there some sort of tool i can use to check next time around?

Did you check any topographical maps? Sometimes those actually DO list owners, especially of government facilities.

Try the viewer on http://www.terraserver.com - you'll have to convert coordinates to Deg/Min/Sec, then click the "Maps" link. Should bring up a Topo map of the area if you're zoomed out enough. See if that does it.