How could you make money off of geocaching?

We just recently started geocaching. I wanted something to do to make memories with my kids. (and get them out-of-doors, away from facebook, psp, wii, tv, etc) Definitely worth everything we pay for trips and equipment. plus souvenirs (aka swag) FREE!

moneymakers-sell maps, write a book, Sell photos, offer legal help-(We've been questioned by police twice)

Re: making money with geocaching

I know someone who works for REI, and part of his job is to teach classes, including geocaching-related classes. In fact, I just got back from a geo-kayak tour that he helped lead.

while were on the subject, we could fine people for placing unoriginal PnG hides, and fine people who leave their business cards in caches.
By what authority would you fine anyone for placing caches that you don't like? If it meets the guidelines, if the cache owner has adequate permission, if the cache owner is maintaining the cache, then it's none of your %$#@! business how "unoriginal" it is.

And for the record, some of us trade for signature items found in caches. I've got several personal business cards in my sig item collection.

One of the wisest men I ever met told me, "Do what you love, and the money will follow."

He was right.

Great! I'm going fishing then. To whom do I send the invoice? :huh:

I love to ski, but no one is ever going to pay me to ski.

Oh wait, I started coaching 4 year old ski racers last year. I guess someone does pay me, even if it is only enough to pay for gas to get to the mountain.

God forgive me for supporting an ashnikes post, but worker productivity loss due to the personal use of computers and the internet is a huge issue. I can't say that any one poster should or should not be working, but ashnikes is correct - many if not most of the folks posting during business hours are on an employer's time clock and, by most company's standards, stealing from their employer and/or violating company policies.

You can make some generalizations when they are supported by statistics.

From http://www.spectorcne.com/Solutions/Productivity.html

According to a recent Gallup poll, the average employee spends over 75 minutes per day using office computers for non-business related activity. That translates into an annual loss of $6250 per year, per employee1. An average mid-size company of 500 employees could be expected to lose $3.25 million in lost productivity due to Internet misuse.

ooh please, not the polls and statistics....its a lot of bull

just take my word on it, notice how they hardly tell you how many people have been surveyed?

plus, something is wrong with that picture...they say 75 minutes...lets see...i get 60 minutes for lunch and 2 breaks of 15 minutes during my working day, that's 90 minutes...nobody tells me what to do in my lunch and breaks

Create a power trail in the middle of nowhere and sell cans of gas near the halfway point.

Buy stock in "Lock N Lock".

Buy ammo cans at auctions and resell them

Create your own Tshirts and sell them on Ebay.

Solve puzzle caches and sell the answers.

Create the BEST CACHE EVER and after it gets a reputation, set up a toll booth to go to it.

Just some ideas that are outside the box.

Theoretically speaking, for those of you who are devout geocachers, who spend ungodly amounts of time out there in the woods with fancy pants gps units looking for Tupperware, is there a way you can think of that you could actually make some decent money doing this, or are you just out "wasting money" on a hobby that although pays you back mentally isnt helping to pay the bills?

Well let's think about this, because you answer the question you're asking.

People are "wasting money" on geocaching so how can someone make money from geocachers.

Go on...think about that for a second.

One more time...people are spending money on geocaching. Right. How can someone make money from geocachers.

Are you with us yet? Good.

Next week we'll ask the smart business lady how a "secret business" will make money :huh:

"So what do you sell in your shop?"

"Ah, not telling. You might be competition!"

"But I want to buy something...so what have you got?"

"Sorry, you'll have to guess"

"Well can you at least tell me where the shop is?"

"Not a chance buddy..."

Edited by needaxeo

Theoretically speaking, for those of you who are devout geocachers, who spend ungodly amounts of time out there in the woods with fancy pants gps units looking for Tupperware, is there a way you can think of that you could actually make some decent money doing this, or are you just out "wasting money" on a hobby that although pays you back mentally isnt helping to pay the bills?

Also, I GUARANTEE that your smartphone is WAY more fancypants than my GPS, most things are. But I do like the word fancypants.

IT'S A TRAP! WE CAN'T REPEL TROLLING OF THIS MAGNITUDE!

I..I..must.. reply...

1) Develop and hone a skill that might somehow relate to geocaching.

2) Use your skill to come up with a product you can make, or prototype of one that can be farmed out.

3) ???

4) Profit!

I have seen your video projects, and you might have something going there. If you're serious about that, keep going and eventually you'll have a marketable skill. All you have to do is find a market for what you do (geocaching related or not) and the profit will fall into place. Then you can pay people to dumpster dive for you. :huh:

Geocaching hones your skills of spotting when something is out of place or otherwise wrong, as well as finding that which is hidden. Some cache hides definitely demonstrate creativity and outside-the-box thinking (i.e. non-LPCs :huh:). Those are useful skills to develop and improve.

Edited by joshism