Bulk Field Notes

Dread_Pirate_Bruce

From the Learn How to Log Your Find page.:

6. Enter any comments you wish to share with the owner and/or community regarding your find.

I believe the intent is that the Log Entry should be unique to each cache. If there was nothing memorable about the cache, then it's probably not worth bothering IMHO.

The shorter answer though: No, I don't believe there is a way to bulk Log Entry on this site.

I believe the intent is that the Log Entry should be unique to each cache. If there was nothing memorable about the cache, then it's probably not worth bothering IMHO.

:P

Why do you assume that the OP's field notes are not unique to each cache?

Anyway, 44 clicks per log seems a bit strange. surely it's only two or three clicks each...

What else are you having to do apart from clicking 'Compose Log' and 'Submit Log Entry' ?

Mark

.It is actually 44 clicks for each one

44 clicks? Something doesn't sound right there.

I use field notes very heavily. It takes 1 click to bring up the field note, 1 click to save it as a log, and one more click to get back to the list of fieldnotes.

I use them because of their simplicity and not having to deal directly with the site by searching for the cache, typing my notes, etc.

It should have said "4" mouse clicks, not 44. One to bring up the "Compose log"; two to scroll to the bottom of the page to click "submit" and one to return to the field notes. Now multiply this by something like 100 field notes.

The only way around it is a script "robot" and that is unfortunately against the TOU (I just checked - it says prohibited for any purpose without prior permission).

It should have said "4" mouse clicks, not 44. One to bring up the "Compose log"; two to scroll to the bottom of the page to click "submit" and one to return to the field notes. Now multiply this by something like 100 field notes.

Wow, a couple of clicks. You need someone to go find the caches for you too?

Actually, after looking, I think I found your problem, it doesn't look like you've really had that many days that you had more than 20 or so, that is until you found that et series, and I didn't look but I bet every one of your logs for those are cut and paste, and none give a unique experience related to that cache.

June 18 by HH242 (3440 found)

E.T. Highway Invasion

Huh, I was right... same exact log for 1000 caches. I guess I could see why 3 mouse clicks is an annoyance, once you've read your log once, there's no point in reading it again.

Isn't sending the same thing over and over considered spam? Or at least in bad taste?

Wow, a couple of clicks. You need someone to go find the caches for you too?

Actually, after looking, I think I found your problem, it doesn't look like you've really had that many days that you had more than 20 or so, that is until you found that et series, and I didn't look but I bet every one of your logs for those are cut and paste, and none give a unique experience related to that cache.

They are not all cut and paste jobs. The first one was original. And, I did something different for the second day. And, the first one for the second day was original, too. And, FWIW, there was nothing unique about any of them except four of them. The thing that was unique was the totality of the experience ... and that I logged in detail, several different times, for the event itself.

BTW: Your response to my original post provided no assistance, whatsoever. ... Which reminds me of what my mother always says: "If you can't say something helpful, don't say anything at all."

June 18 by HH242 (3440 found)

E.T. Highway Invasion

Huh, I was right... same exact log for 1000 caches. I guess I could see why 3 mouse clicks is an annoyance, once you've read your log once, there's no point in reading it again.

Isn't sending the same thing over and over considered spam? Or at least in bad taste?

Not the "same exact log for 1000 caches." I didn't look for that many. I didn't find that many. I didn't try to log that many.

ok, so there isn't a method using the iphone....

IS there a way to bulk upload field notes from a device?

I thought I heard of someone saving up a bunch of field notes....and then uploading them all automatically.

....but now that I think of it...I think he was just out of cell range. I think once he got within cell range, the phone spent some time uploading stuff.

ok, so there isn't a method using the iphone....

IS there a way to bulk upload field notes from a device?

I thought I heard of someone saving up a bunch of field notes....and then uploading them all automatically.

....but now that I think of it...I think he was just out of cell range. I think once he got within cell range, the phone spent some time uploading stuff.

Are you asking about the iphone specifically or just in general if you can bulk upload field notes?

The way I do it is I use an oregon, which generates field notes, but I don't upload those to the site, I import them into gsak, then in gsak I "expand" the notes to my full logs and thoughts. From that I generate a field notes file that I then upload to the site. From there just 2 or 3 clicks to log my finds online.

The most I've ever done in one batch is probably about 40 or so. Way faster than trying to do it all on the site, and none of it requires internet except for the last step, and thankfully most of the pages involved are pretty low bandwidth pages if I'm logging from a slow connection.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about a field notes file getting truncated, so I would imagine that it can hold at least several hundred entries when uploading to the site. I don't recall gs ever saying there was a limit on the number of entries in the file, only a limit on the size of each field note (I'm thinking 500 characters, but not remembering for sure).

What's great about using Field Notes is that you don't have to turn them all into logs all at once, and as you do turn them into logs, the ordering is preserved.

IOW - do your Field Notes, write enough to job your memory about the find, and then compose & post them when you feel like it later.

IOW - do your Field Notes, write enough to job your memory about the find, and then compose & post them when you feel like it later.

That's what I do, compose in the field using my Field Notes feature in Cacheberry, then re-write and post later. I tend to record a lot of spoilers in my field notes so I don't post those.