Power Trails...

Fjordi

Hi to everyone,

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't really find anything in my search and I am really interested in it :P

I am from Austria and we do not have any power trails here (as far as I know). Only cache series.

So what exactly is the point of a power trail?

Of course: finding as many caches as possible and moving up the rank list and breaking ones records.

But isn't Geocaching about hiding a container at a spot which is worth visiting because of the scenery, a sight or a special place you wouldn't know whithout a cache?

A power trail sounds like a lot of fun and I would do anything to go on one (I will consider that for my next holiday plans :D ) - but it sounds like an exhausting stop and go caching tour with a lot of stress as well.

Where are power trail caches usually hidden? Anywhere? Or are there any regulations?

And whose idea was it?

Best regards from Austria,

Fjordi

Many good questions.

Prior to doing one I thought that they were the silliest waste of time ever devised. Then I did one, oh oh I had a good time and the rest is history. Perhaps the lure of the first one was just to see what the uproar was all about and to defy the nay sayers.

The testing of the completeness of planning and execution of the task certainly factors into the equation.

Being on a trail for an extended time with friends of the same mindset creates a different experiential bond. Good friends, good times and the building of special memories. ( pretty fine stuff )

Then of course there is the " bucket list factor ". I do not go to set any records, I just go to say that I went.

The old gomer heart attack victim can still " Git Er Done " sense of accomplishment is a major motivator for me.

Will be heading out to the ET Trail in three weeks with a geo friend from N.W. Calif. and party of two others from south central Oregon.

We will be doing some caching along the way included in the mix will be a number of Earth Caches.

Oooooops yet another category of caches which are viewed with disdain.

Fun is on the agenda.

Edited by humboldt flier

I am so jealous of you "Americans" :P

We have to drive a long long time to find a decent number of caches a day.

And we have to hike ONE mountain (takes usually one day in our area) to find ONE cache.

But I like finding loads of caches in a short time and I would LOVE to go on a power trail...

I understand about needing to go elsewhere to find caches. My caching buddy and I have cleaned out our local area and must go 2 hours to find searchables.

The ET Power Trail is a short 9.5 hour drive for us.

Perhaps you might team up with someone in your area and " build " a power trail ... but remember to wear asbestos clothing because some folks do not approve and they just might throw flames your way. LOL

Take care and have a great day

And we have to hike ONE mountain (takes usually one day in our area) to find ONE cache.

That's not true at all if you refer to Austria in general. Please do not create a wrong impression of caching in Austria. Go for example to Vienna and you will have more caches there in the centre than you can find within 24 hours. The cache density also varies in the US and there are areas there where there are much

fewer caches than in Vienna for example.

Cliquing on some dense areas on the overview map shown here

http://aj-gps.net/

will demonstrate that what you claimed is not true. Some of these red clusters are not far that away from you.

Moreover, the borderline between power trail and cache series is not easy to draw. So it is also a matter of definition whether or not a power trail exists in Austria.

Typically series of lame caches in a row are more frequently placed in areas with no attractions. In an area with plenty of nice scenery and beautiful landscape and a low cache density, power trails are neither typical nor well-received by the majority of cachers.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

But I like finding loads of caches in a short time and I would LOVE to go on a power trail...

I am not sure how to read your eyeroll.. but you can certainly jumpstart geocaching in your world by promoting it and by hiding more of your own caches to get others interested.

the grass is always greener....

i'd like to try a mountain top cache. alas, i'd have to drive a really long way to get to the mountains.

How about a"Power Road" or "Power Highway"? Just cram as many caches along it as you can get away with, say about every 600 feet or so, until a reviewer complains and says you are creating a "Power Trail". Then carry on to another road or highway.

Edited by Fledermaus

Of course there are many many caches in Vienna, Salzburg, etc. - but if you hide all Mystery and Muli Caches there are not so many Traditionals left.

Apart from that - as I said - I do not like to go caching in big cities.

I love those caches hidden in the woods.

The eyeroll was ment funny and nice :D

I am not interested in setting up an own Power Trail because I still miss the fun of hiding and being the owner of so many caches. Apart from that - as cezanne said - there are so many nice spots all around us, so we do not need 1000 caches along a highway.

But nevertheless I would like to go on one myself.

We are already hiding caches in our area. We have hidden a series (which is rather attractive according to my opinion and to other cachers) and we are already planning the next.

That's for cachers who want to go mountain hiking and finding more than one cache :P

So what exactly is the point of a power trail?
The point is to be able to find a bunch of caches in a short time (distance, whatever). Some people think this would be a fun thing to do, those that wouldn't enjoy them can skip them. This guy even sounds like he'd like to do one:
A power trail sounds like a lot of fun and I would do anything to go on one

But isn't Geocaching about hiding a container at a spot which is worth visiting because of the scenery, a sight or a special place you wouldn't know whithout a cache?
Not necessarily. Some people think so, and others would LOVE to make it so, but it's actually only about hiding a container for someone else to find using the GPS system. Not that it's not acceptable to also bring people to a great view, or a neat place, it's just not the main point of caching.

Of course there are many many caches in Vienna, Salzburg, etc. - but if you hide all Mystery and Muli Caches there are not so many Traditionals left.

If you do not cache there regularly, there are way more available than you can find in a few days.

Moreover, most puzzles caches there end up as traditionals once you solved them.

A Styrian cacher managed already a few years ago to find more than 100 caches in Vienna within a day. Nowadays and with a good preparation much higher find counts are possible.

Where did you mention this? I must have overlooked it.

Moreover, I guess Salzburg is not a big city, but never mind. I do not like urban caching at all.

I love those caches hidden in the woods.

The real large powertrails are typically hidden in an area where you can drive from cache to cache by car and will not be located in forest areas. There do exist, however, also plenty of opportunities in Austria to find a greater number of caches on one day in forest areas.

You did not mention how many caches you would like to find on one day and whether you want to drive or to walk from cache to cache. Last year I did the

Eckwirtrunde multicache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...82-1f9a7e0abd66

and along it the 20 traditionals and the associated bonus cache - so 22 caches in total on a relaxing 20km hike. At home I regretted to have logged all traditionals as logging was tiresome as I do not like copy and paste logs and somehow I could not even remember some of the single caches. On this day I found 23 caches - more than ever before or after and it was definitely too much for me. I did not enjoy it - the multi and the hike were nice, however. For me this series already is a power trail.

Another one, with fewer caches, but a shorter distance covered can be found near Stainz.

There are also many caches along the R5 bicycle path in the area of Muerzzuschlag (which is closer to you than the other examples and again not caching in a big city).

Even closer to you is the Punktegeier # series

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-99ba7d417a5d

If you visit all caches of the series and all caches around, you will certainly be busy for more than day.

In addition, there are many cache-dense areas in Germany. It need not be the US.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Where did you mention this? I must have overlooked it.

--> Sorry, I mentioned it in another topic.

You did not mention how many caches you would like to find on one day and whether you want to drive or to walk from cache to cache. Last year I did the

Eckwirtrunde multicache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...82-1f9a7e0abd66

and along it the 20 traditionals and the associated bonus cache - so 22 caches in total on a relaxing 20km hike. At home I regretted to have logged all traditionals as logging was tiresome as I do not like copy and paste logs and somehow I could not even remember some of the single caches. On this day I found 23 caches - more than ever before or after and it was definitely too much for me. I did not enjoy it - the multi and the hike were nice, however. For me this series already is a power trail.

Another one, with fewer caches, but a shorter distance covered can be found near Stainz.

I prefer walking (not hiking :P ) and thanks a lot for your tipps! I might try those out this summer!

There are also many caches along the R5 bicycle path in the area of Muerzzuschlag (which is closer to you than the other examples and again not caching in a big city).

Even closer to you is the Punktegeier # series

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-99ba7d417a5d

If you visit all caches of the series and all caches around, you will certainly be busy for more than day.

Muerzzuschlag is our next destination - maybe even this weekend. :D

Because of my severe illness and my work, most of the time I do not have time to go caching more than once a week.

That's why I am always looking for cache series or at least rural areas with loads of caches to keep up with my finds.

I prefer walking (not hiking :huh: ) and thanks a lot for your tipps! I might try those out this summer!

And how do you distinguish between the two? In my experience, different people have quite different concepts of hiking and walking. The series around Marhof by the huegelwuehlers is definitely walking not hiking. For the Eckwirtrunde the opinions will differ. The terrain is not difficult and parts of the route lead along paved roads, the remaining parts are logging roads and some smaller forest trails. Mountaineers are typically are less enthusiastic about the Eckwirtrunde than cachers who normally would not want to walk 20 km, but do in in order to find a cache about every km.

Another area where you might have a look to is the Austrian province Burgenland. It appears to me that there are many traditionals within a small area there e.g. around the Lake Neusiedl.

Because of my severe illness and my work, most of the time I do not have time to go caching more than once a week.

That's why I am always looking for cache series or at least rural areas with loads of caches to keep up with my finds.

I am typically a weekend cacher too and I am also used to physical restrictions that have to be taken into account. I am not caring about numbers, however. I rather would like to have a target for my outdoor activities without having to invest too much planning time on my own. If I have three hours at my disposition and a single cache is keeping me busy and physically active for three hours, that's perfectly fine for me and even better than having to care about 10 caches to cover three hours.

Cezanne

Not necessarily. Some people think so, and others would LOVE to make it so, but it's actually only about hiding a container for someone else to find using the GPS system. Not that it's not acceptable to also bring people to a great view, or a neat place, it's just not the main point of caching.

Regardless of how you feel about powertrails, the "great view, unique spot" idea used to be one that was expressed via the website. While it might not be the main point some- it is still the main point for others.

As long as embarassing, mile-long, permission violations don't cause a stink I think that both cache-views can exist in the same game.

As long as embarassing, mile-long, permission violations don't cause a stink I think that both cache-views can exist in the same game.

I agree that both could co-exist -- allow people to play the game as we would like to by giving us the tools to do so. It would be great if GS gave those of us that aren't interested in PTs the tools, perhaps a new cache type, to filter them out and also to avoid having them clog up our email account.

How about a"Power Road" or "Power Highway"? Just cram as many caches along it as you can get away with, say about every 600 feet or so, until a reviewer complains and says you are creating a "Power Trail". Then carry on to another road or highway.

Is this somehow different than what is happening these days?

Why go as far as 600? Go for every 528 feet. Make it a road like Route 80 and hide a film canister on every .1 mile marker from NY to San Francisco. Think of the numbers people can rack up!

I am so jealous of you "Americans" :huh:

the grass is always greener....

i'd like to try a mountain top cache. alas, i'd have to drive a really long way to get to the mountains.

You are from Austin? I have seen some mountains in/near El Paso. How far is that? 9h? There also appears to be some about 3.5h SW of you, just accross the boarder.

Why go as far as 600? Go for every 528 feet. Make it a road like Route 80 and hide a film canister on every .1 mile marker from NY to San Francisco. Think of the numbers people can rack up!

Why stay on the main highway. Stick the the surface streets and you could probably triple the number of caches.

A few months ago a new "worlds record" was announced from caches founded along the power trail near Denver. A couple months later the trail of the gods came out and the number of caches found in 24 hours record was smashed using that PT which had over 600 caches. Most recently the ET power trail with 1000 caches was published and although the gloating has been pretty reserved there have been claims of find counts which exceeded the TotG records. There are also several accounts of finders taking 2-3 days to do the trail. When will see see a 2000 cache trail. How about 5000 or 10,000 identical caches placed as close as possible tp provide numbers hounds with high find counts? Where does it end?

Why stay on the main highway. Stick the the surface streets and you could probably triple the number of caches.

A few months ago a new "worlds record" was announced from caches founded along the power trail near Denver. A couple months later the trail of the gods came out and the number of caches found in 24 hours record was smashed using that PT which had over 600 caches. Most recently the ET power trail with 1000 caches was published and although the gloating has been pretty reserved there have been claims of find counts which exceeded the TotG records. There are also several accounts of finders taking 2-3 days to do the trail. When will see see a 2000 cache trail. How about 5000 or 10,000 identical caches placed as close as possible tp provide numbers hounds with high find counts? Where does it end?

[/quote

Hopefully it will never end.

Placing cache containers along Interstate Highway 80 is possibly bad and dangerous advice.

They can't be "finding" caches anymore to get numbers like that. As long as charity finds like that are part of the game maybe GS could make a real charity cache. They could give a find credit for every dollar or can of food that someone gives to a central "cache" for the poor. We could all applaud someone getting 1,000 of those charity finds! :huh:

We did a small power trail, a few weeks back, achived 107 caches in a day, have to say it was the most fun we have had since geocaching. We saw some really unique areas, the pace was fast, the heart was racing, it was a great geocaching marathon.

I see them. All logging roads in BC, and all smalls. Probably more along the lines of what Frog Central had in mind when they loosened up the guidelines. As opposed to say, 800 micros on electrical towers. Actually sounds somewhat interesting, although I personally don't care for the cut-and-paste cache pages, and cut-and-paste difficulty/terrain ratings, which will generate 95%+ cut-and-paste logs.

I once complained about an old hiking power trail because I thought the number of caches along the trail spoiled the hike. Then I was told that I didn't have to find every cache. If every .1 mile was too much, I could just look for every other cache. I've since adopted this attitude to any power trail or series of caches. I don't feel any reason to run out and set a personal one day record finding these caches. Instead I find as many as I have fun finding. If the series is nearby, I'll come back and find a few more the next time.

Of course there have been times when I do these trails with a group of friends and we stop to find every cache and hurry to get as many in as we can, signing a group name instead of individually signing the log. I view these outings more like events and a chance to be with friends. I could even imagine doing one of these series just to see how many caches I could find in a day solo as challenge to myself, by so far I haven't been tempted enough to do this.

I don't understand why a stated preference for "quality" over quantity is elevated by some to the level of animosity we see against power trails. I suppose it is possible to view power trail caches as lacking creativity because all the caches are hidden the same way and they are so close together that you aren't seeing anything new as you go from cache to cache. I guess I haven't experienced that issue. By stopping when I'm no longer having fun, I don't get bored because the caches are hidden in a similar manner. Sure, I might prefer a mix of hides, but I can always stop and find other caches in the area and create my own mix. And by not rushing to find as many as I can, I can look around and enjoy the different views you get even when you've only moved 528 feet away.

I see people asking "when will it stop?", as if power trails are going to eliminate cachers from placing individual caches that show some creativity in hiding caches, highlight a special location, or provide a bit of a challenge and take longer to find. There seem to be plenty of caches like this still being placed. I understand that some people are looking for ways to help filter for these caches and eliminate the ones they feel are placed solely "for the numbers". The approach I've taken, is to simply stop when I stop having fun. I have no problem driving by caches on a power trail and only stoping for a few, or instead of driving to find as many caches in a day as I can, stopping at few caches I need to hike to even though that means I won't find as many in that roadside series. There are clearly a lot of people enjoying power trail caching; I don't see the increase in the number of these trails (or in the number of caches in them) as being a serious threat to caching.

I once complained about an old hiking power trail because I thought the number of caches along the trail spoiled the hike. Then I was told that I didn't have to find every cache. If every .1 mile was too much, I could just look for every other cache. I've since adopted this attitude to any power trail or series of caches. I don't feel any reason to run out and set a personal one day record finding these caches. Instead I find as many as I have fun finding. If the series is nearby, I'll come back and find a few more the next time.

Of course there have been times when I do these trails with a group of friends and we stop to find every cache and hurry to get as many in as we can, signing a group name instead of individually signing the log. I view these outings more like events and a chance to be with friends. I could even imagine doing one of these series just to see how many caches I could find in a day solo as challenge to myself, by so far I haven't been tempted enough to do this.

I don't understand why a stated preference for "quality" over quantity is elevated by some to the level of animosity we see against power trails. I suppose it is possible to view power trail caches as lacking creativity because all the caches are hidden the same way and they are so close together that you aren't seeing anything new as you go from cache to cache. I guess I haven't experienced that issue. By stopping when I'm no longer having fun, I don't get bored because the caches are hidden in a similar manner. Sure, I might prefer a mix of hides, but I can always stop and find other caches in the area and create my own mix. And by not rushing to find as many as I can, I can look around and enjoy the different views you get even when you've only moved 528 feet away.

I see people asking "when will it stop?", as if power trails are going to eliminate cachers from placing individual caches that show some creativity in hiding caches, highlight a special location, or provide a bit of a challenge and take longer to find. There seem to be plenty of caches like this still being placed. I understand that some people are looking for ways to help filter for these caches and eliminate the ones they feel are placed solely "for the numbers". The approach I've taken, is to simply stop when I stop having fun. I have no problem driving by caches on a power trail and only stoping for a few, or instead of driving to find as many caches in a day as I can, stopping at few caches I need to hike to even though that means I won't find as many in that roadside series. There are clearly a lot of people enjoying power trail caching; I don't see the increase in the number of these trails (or in the number of caches in them) as being a serious threat to caching.

Oh it's a threat alright, just not to caching.

I'm the same way. I walk by caches all the time when they don't look interesting to me. I don't care about numbers. It's not why I do it.

I have cached with groups and the purpose of that was more social and it was fun. So it didn't bother me to stop at every cache while chatting. However, when I got home I only logged the ones that I enjoyed and ignored the rest.