whats your favorite mapping software?

mchaos

I have had Nat Geo Topo deluxe as it came with my Triton 400. Its pretty decent only you have to pay for the map tiles. Although they are very inexpensive.

Recently I started messing with Mobile Atlas Creator. Why haven't I looked for something like this before?? Its free. you can customize your maps. You can get close up zoom detail, not available from Nat Geo Topo. Also you can choose from numerous map sources online. Spectacular!!

So, does it get better then this still? whats you favorite mapping software.

I have had Nat Geo Topo deluxe as it came with my Triton 400. Its pretty decent only you have to pay for the map tiles. Although they are very inexpensive.

Recently I started messing with Mobile Atlas Creator. Why haven't I looked for something like this before?? Its free. you can customize your maps. You can get close up zoom detail, not available from Nat Geo Topo. Also you can choose from numerous map sources online. Spectacular!!

So, does it get better then this still? whats you favorite mapping software.

I've been looking for anything that will work with Vantage Point, I downloaded MAC but instructions are slim to none. Can you point me somewhere for help? Also, do you know if this will work with my eXplorist GC? Thanks.

Should be super easy. Problem is you have to make a lot of small layers for a magellan map.

Start with a small map and work your way to bigger ones. I am making hybrid maps for area's of caching interest.

On the right, Find where it says type of map. Select magellan.

Then at the top you will see zoom levels. The higher number is closer to the ground. Which is anywhere from 100 to 200 feet depending on the map source.

Highlight a small area, because magellan can only handle small layers. So just start say with the area around your home for testing.

Select what zoom levels you want to be in it. I make mine as close as they can get so I can see where I am heading for a cache. I do like the first 4 highest zoom levels. For example, 19, 18, 17 and 16. That fives me 500, 300, 200 and 100 feet zoom level maps on the unit.

Then hit add layer.

Hit make atlas at the bottom. A dialog will pop up and make the map. Note** if you get an error, you highlighted an area that is too big. Clear the layers, and make a smaller highlight and do it again.

Higher zoom levels take longer to download then lower. So depending on how detailed and close you want to view will decide how long it will take.

Once its done, go into VP, At the top hit maps(With gps connected) Click the green + sign, browse to the map file, and add it.

Now you can transfer it right to the unit.

As well you can also just put the map file on the SD card from the pc in the MAP_DATA folder and it will be there when you put the card in the gps.

If you want a bigger map, Highlight an area that is small enough for the unit. Easy way to do this is to set the zoom level to 13, and when you click on a grid square it will highlight that square. This size magellan can handle. Click on a square, hit add layer. then click on a square next to that one and hit layer, and so on and so fourth. Don't get too nutty in the size of the maps. I tryed making a really large one and it was going to take days to render. It is smarter to just make detailed maps of area's you will be going too.

Its really cool when you can see something on the screen that looks like the cache could be hid at/in/on before your on top of it.

Hope that helps. Little trial and error, and its all good.

EDIT: Yes, this will work with explorist GC as long as you use the megallen format, which is a pain because it needs to be such a small patch per layer.

Edited by mchaos

Do you really want to know? This is going to vary from user to user depending on their GPS and intended use.

My favorite (of the moment, it changes constantly) is an iPhone app for loading USGS Topo Quads:

http://topomapsapp.com/

Now, as soon as someone even hints that they use the iPhone, folks line up to trash the notion because of things like battery life, poor GPS accuracy, and so on. But this is not about the iPhone, it's about the maps and how they're delivered.

The app costs $8 and you get free, unlimited downloads of USGS 1:24 quads and Canadian NRC 1:50,000 topo maps. Loading maps is quick: I just pulled 40 complete USGS quads down to my iPhone (through WiFi, in my house) in about 10 minutes. And unlike any other map product for any other GPS I have -- I didn't first have to download or compile them on my computer first and then transfer them -- they went right to the device. They're stored on the phone so I can use them even when I'm out of cellphone range.

I think this app is showing the future for mapping on ANY handheld devices, be it stand-alone GPS units, PDA's, or phones: The devices will be able to connect directly to the Internet and download the maps you need on demand directly to the device. The most common maps (basic road maps, topo) will ultimately be pushed down in price to practically free for the end-user, because there are so many sources. Map makers will only be able to make money by selling specialized data and add-on tools for the maps: POI listings, routes/trails, other layers on the maps for speciality markets.

By the way, I think MOBAC os pretty cool also -- but don't use it much.

Edited by lee_rimar

Mobile Atlas Creator seems to be very powerful. Its free. The maps are free. It has nearly ever free map database in a list to pick from. Google, teraserver, microsoft.

You can make your own, in every GPS format, Although I do not know about Iphone or other smart phones, ti depends on what file type it takes.

The quality of the maps it produces is very good. Better resolution then Nat Geo topo, by far.

Any one know of any other map making software?

Should be super easy. Problem is you have to make a lot of small layers for a magellan map.

Start with a small map and work your way to bigger ones. I am making hybrid maps for area's of caching interest.

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll print out what you wrote and see what I can make. I had previously clicked on the green plus sign to try and add maps but it wanted specific file extensions. when I make a map will it end up with one of those extensions? Thanks again.

Dennis

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll print out what you wrote and see what I can make. I had previously clicked on the green plus sign to try and add maps but it wanted specific file extensions. when I make a map will it end up with one of those extensions? Thanks again.

Dennis

I'm "rendering" a map at this moment! Cool, thanks for your help.

My favorite (of the moment, it changes constantly) is an iPhone app for loading USGS Topo Quads:

http://topomapsapp.com/

Wow! That's cool! I've got a credit for the iTunes store that's been burning a hole in my pocket...just might need to add this to my arsenal!

I've been waiting for something like this to come out with aerial imagery. Specifically, I'd like an app that 1) shows aerial imagery, and 2) allows you to input coordinates/show coordinates (like this app seems to do).

Unfortunately, I don't think that app exists yet.

Funny you should mention aerial imagery. I was just thinking of dropping Phil a question about that.

If you dig into the docs for his Topo Maps program, you find a small "file server" that lets you upload and download data -- you can use this to send waypoint/GPX files -- or copy your USGS topo quads to and from your own computer instead of downloading from his. The map files are PTM format.

I also note he has a different app for the UK... http://appshopper.com/navigation/uk-map-2 ... I have a feeling the core is the same app, just different data download sources.

So... if his program is simply a download and viewing engine, then all you're really looking for is a new data source -- or a way to make/load the file yourself -- right?

Edited by lee_rimar

Funny you should mention aerial imagery. I was just thinking of dropping Phil a question about that.

If you dig into the docs for his Topo Maps program, you find a small "file server" that lets you upload and download data -- you can use this to send waypoint/GPX files -- or copy your USGS topo quads to and from your own computer instead of downloading from his. The map files are PTM format.

I also note he has a different app for the UK... http://appshopper.com/navigation/uk-map-2 ... I have a feeling the core is the same app, just different data download sources.

So... if his program is simply a download and viewing engine, then all you're really looking for is a new data source -- or a way to make/load the file yourself -- right?

Hm, maybe so. But if you could upload new data sources then that data source would have to be aerial imagery WITH gps information in it so that you could input/view coordinates on the aerial imagery. And I've never seen something like that on an iphone/ipod touch.

For creating Garmin Custom Maps compatible KMZ files, I've been very happy with a GDAL + MAPC2MAPC workflow.

GDAL is a great library (with included utilities that expose most library functionality as a commandline app) for working with georeferenced raster data from various sources.