CATSNFISH

I cancel that vote with one for MEKK :blink:

So if Yime's math was correct in post 194, it's still even!! :lol:

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE POLITICIAN !!!!!

Sheesh....

Well your first vote has to count.

Quoted From The Yime Post...

For The People, By The People:

Just like America, the winner will be decided by popular vote! But just like America, a secret cabal of influential individuals (The Yimes) will determine the top three candidates. On Super Tuesday (July 6th), I will post the three candidates and open voting in this thread until the polls close at 11:59 EDT, July 6th. The votes will be tallied, and the winner announced!

One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)

You voted for CnF, no fair changing for a bribe.

Edited by opalsns

Whew! It has been an intense campaign so far, my wife and i decided to take a short break and spend some time with our grand daughters.

snip

Back to work for me now, I will return to the campaign shortly!

WOW Joe and Vicky!!! Your grand daughters are adorable!!! :)

Come on my friend... show us photos wearing your USA uniform as a soldier! ;)

Say about your online magazine.... and the good things you do! ;)

Oh boy.... what came in my mind now.... in the movie (you know which one...;) )... what would my name be if I was there??? Dancing with Cats??? :blink::lol::lol:

Hmm... I was wondering if a debate between you and Mekk would be cool! :o

And these campains to be in the magazine too! :) IT is so fun! :)

Do you mean this one?joe0001.jpg snip

Oh boy... I just love the first photo!!! ;)

I always wanted to ask something.... in the movie... the rifles and the swords... are real or plastic?? they look so real.... but I do not think they are! It would have been dangerous to have real ones...

a couple of days ago a local channel had the Dancing with Wolfs movie!!! I was trying to find you my friend! :o

Everything was real, unless it was in a close combat situation. In Glory, the troops who would make contact while attacking the fort had rubber bayonets, but they were mounted on real rifles. Safety checks were regularly made to ensure all weapons were unloaded.

edited to add:

Here is one for off topic regulars, I borked the quoty thingy :):D

Edited by catsnfish

Gatoulis!

Of course my dear friend, I will accept your offer to become my campaign manager!!

Ouzo for everyone!! (those of age of course, we wouldn't want to break any laws!)

Opa!!!

Ouzo :blink: Okay, that won me over-I vote for................ catsnfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Vote For .....

CATSNFISH

I cancel that vote with one for MEKK :lol:

So if Yime's math was correct in post 194, it's still even!! :D

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE POLITICIAN !!!!! :lol:

Sheesh.... ;)

Well your first vote has to count. :blink:

Just like America, the winner will be decided by popular vote! But just like America, a secret cabal of influential individuals (The Yimes) will determine the top three candidates. On Super Tuesday (July 6th), I will post the three candidates and open voting in this thread until the polls close at 11:59 EDT, July 6th. The votes will be tallied, and the winner announced!

:o One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You voted for CnF, no fair changing for a bribe. :o

:blink: Catsnfish gets my vote :-)

Oh geeze, this cointest stuff ain't easy as it is, so now do I have to go back and check for votes being edited too? Okay citizens, to be fair, please don't edit your vote posts...just like the rules for posting of photos.

Since you didn't post prior to that, please just post again with your vote (and dontcha dare edit that!)

Please keep my sanity right where it is, it's hard to see the itty bitty text on the iPhone.

I Vote For .....

CATSNFISH

I cancel that vote with one for MEKK :lol:

So if Yime's math was correct in post 194, it's still even!! :D

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE POLITICIAN !!!!! :lol:

Sheesh.... ;)

Well your first vote has to count. :blink:

:o One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You voted for CnF, no fair changing for a bribe. :o

Nah, opalsns, I think they were just saying that their new vote just evened out your vote.

There shall be no shenanigans at the polls, lest they face the fear of citrus squirts in their eyeballs.

Mekk my friend! Sorry I do not know your name... I am Nikos! :(

Do you speak greek too? Maybe a little.... :) I know.. thay are way too difficult! :(

I was searching for the photo in the net, with the dog in the strikes....

there are many!!! One actually doesn't have anything in his mouth etc, but he is in every strike and fight on the street the last 2 years!!! I am not posting any of these photos just because they show things that I do not like at all, fights etc!

But... I also found the dog I was talking about!! :D I had to cover a word to make it ok to post...

b666ceaa.jpg

Isn't he cute?? :(

Oh my goodness what a tough decision. I was leaning toward catsnfish just because I like both cans n fish, when mekk cut in with pictures of the dog and kids. I almost changed my vote because I’m a sucker for both. Then someone fired back with dog pics on cat’s behalf and cat followed up with pics of the grandkids. Now I was leaning back toward cat’s camp. The promise of baklava was all I needed to know exactly where my loyalties needed to be. I’ll settle for someone sending me instructions on how to make it. The store bought kind is great, but a few years ago I had some that an older Greek lady made (it was rolled and sliced instead of those little triangles) and it was amazing. Kind of like when I discovered that Hershey’s was not really good chocolate. I also love Gyro’s and I don’t mean the ones that are pronounced the American way. The real one’s where the Greek man made me learn exactly how to pronounce it before he would serve me one. LOL Sadly I have to go to FL most of the time to get any greek food.

I have to go into town so no chance to sway me back with an offer of a years supply of nutella (thank you tsun for turning me on to that.)

I vote for CATSNFISH

I Vote For .....

CATSNFISH

I cancel that vote with one for MEKK :(

So if Yime's math was correct in post 194, it's still even!! :(

Sheesh....

Ah, you must have me mistaken for someone else.... This was my first vote in the thread. However, I AM open to bribes.....

....what am I doing here staying without a job!!! If I come to the States and make a tavern serving gyros, soyvlaki, kontosouvli, And all the greek food you can find here... plus some great greek sweets... I will get rich! :(

and.... I can only say this.... the capital for Sweets for Greece is Thessaloniki!!! No words to discribe the taste!!!

Oh... and something for Tsun and Woldslady....

Here in Rhodes, we have nutella ice cream! My favorite one! :( Trust me... you will not want to stop eating! :(

I Vote For .....

CATSNFISH

I cancel that vote with one for MEKK :(

So if Yime's math was correct in post 194, it's still even!! :anibad:

Sheesh....

Ah, you must have me mistaken for someone else.... This was my first vote in the thread. However, I AM open to bribes.....

Hmm.... shall I take bribes too? :D

I accept real silver geocoins (do gold ones exist?), Moun10bike coins (huh... yeah... all right!), gold and silver real coins, old banknotes, even from obsolete banks or authentic Confederate States currency.... I can also accept banknotes from other countries... especially if I do not have them! :(:(:) I even accepting military Medals, Indian old and original arrowheads, fossils, challenge coins, military pogs (the ones from Iraq and Afghanistan).... :D ....and then I woke up! :D:laughing::laughing:

Edited by GATOULIS

The way I made baklava was in a large pan and it was cut into diamond shapes. We didn't use a recipe. Start with 2 parts chopped walnuts and mix in with your hands 1 part sugar, add fresh orange and lemon zest. A little zest goes a long way.

Now our secret was to marinate the nut/sugar mixture with brandy, a good healthy sprinkling then put away for a few hours in a closed container.

The phyllo dough should be thawed if bought frozen and close to room temp before unsealing the package. Have everything ready to go as the phyllo dries out quickly and becomes very crumbly.

You'll need clarified butter, melted butter with the liquid drawn off leaving the milky solids behind. This is brushed liberally between each sheet of the phyllo,using a soft brush. Continue till you have about 7 sheets built up, then add half the nut mixture. Drip some butter on top of the mixture to help hold the next sheet and build up another seven layers with butter brushed on each and add the balance of the nut mixture. Repeat to make the top crust.

We would cut the baklava with a sharp knife, this takes practice as it tends to pull and tear the sheets, but by cutting between the fingers of your other hand as they hold the phyllo down you should be ok. if any pops off just place it back down nd drizzle a little butter on it. Place a whole clove in the center of each diamond and bake in a 375 oven till nicely browned, the time will vary with the amount of butter used.

While this is baking prepare a simple syrup of sugar and water, add 1/4 part honey and the juice of both a fresh lemon and orange, drop the squeezed fruit into the syrup and simmer till the baklava is done baking.

Allow the baklava to cool for just a few minutes while you remove the rinds and any seeds that may be present, then pour the hot syrup over the hot baklava until it is saturated.

refrigerate for several hours then recut the pieces to serve. If the nut mixture is crumbly you'll need to add more syrup. It should be a sticky firm mass of rich gooey delight!

edited to correct a spelling error. Please note not every candidate will share their baklava recipe :(

You can also vary the presentation by folding the phyllo into the triangles or rolling the buttered sheets around the nut mixture.

Edited by catsnfish

While I may not be able to mail any delicious baklava, I offer the recipe to the MOST DELICIOUS APPLE PIE EVER!!!! This was part of our All-American Independence Day Celebration in the MEKK household! And for your drooling pleasure...

IMG_4854.jpg

and a close up for those who want to get a bit closer to this simple but oh so delicious pie...

IMG_4905.jpg

And, without further ado, the recipe, my friends!

Oh, and GATOULIS er... Nikos, my name is Keely and it's a pleasure to meet you! :( Unfortunately, I do not speak any Greek :( A bit of German yes, Greek no. But it's something I plan to learn - at least a little bit!

Edited by mekk

Holy Moly! :D

Looks like quite the contest!

Would have got here sooner but our avatar is a pretty fair representation of our computers speed! :(

Besides, we were busy rippin' open the mail! :)

Guess what arrived today! :laughing:

76241b68-5f9d-4401-9e8c-4d0f8ac4b993.jpg

THANK YOU YEMONYIME!!!

The coin is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! :anibad:

Sorry folks, it's not for sale or trade. :(

We will, however be "sharing" it with our Geobuds by way of discovery! :laughing:

If it is not too late as far as this challenge goes, it is just to close to tell so we will be deciding the ole fashioned way.......

we're gonna flip a coin! :(

And the winner is.......................

catsnfish

WELL well well after 40 emails from this thread forwarded to my phone today i had to come see what the heck was going on,, so now after catching up on the last 3 pages because i was super busy with the start of last friday our transmission went out and a rockies game on saturday and a rapids fireworks show in the rain sunday and my wifes birthday yesterday, and and and ..my vote gos to cats n fish for partaking in the vocals of my forum mix i did awhile back, and for hosting something i said in the cachinton thread on their news.. good job both of you,, it was a hard decision of who to vote for!!

Holy Moly! :D

Looks like quite the contest!

Would have got here sooner but our avatar is a pretty fair representation of our computers speed! :(

Besides, we were busy rippin' open the mail! :)

Guess what arrived today! :laughing:

76241b68-5f9d-4401-9e8c-4d0f8ac4b993.jpg

THANK YOU YEMONYIME!!!

The coin is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D

Sorry folks, it's not for sale or trade. :(

We will, however be "sharing" it with our Geobuds by way of discovery! :laughing:

If it is not too late as far as this challenge goes, it is just to close to tell so we will be deciding the ole fashioned way.......

we're gonna flip a coin! :(

And the winner is.......................

catsnfish

i love it.. may have to discover that at the next local event i see ya at :anibad: awesome job,, still wish i coulda been there to share my laughs!!!

Sorry if it is not so good... I do not know how to do it better! :(

b666ceaa-1.jpg

Vote for Yime Land!!! :(

Love it!

The dog is something else! I'll have to Google to see if I can find some of the other images of him you were talking about!

Our winner is...

P7040007-1.jpg

El Presidente catsnfish!!!

And let's hear it for our new VP,

El Presidente Secondente, mekk!!!

*applause cheers applause*

*baby kissing*

*symphony plays Stars And Stripes Forever*

Sincere thanks to our candidates for their participation, campaigning, and their wonderful sense of humor!

I've got limited internet access while in the Midwest, so I'll get in contact with the winners, and send the winners' prizes out sometime next week. Mrs. Yime has yet to review the secondary entries, so we'll let you know on those as soon as possible.

VIVA DEMOCRACY!!!

Congratulations catsnfish!!!!! It has been an honor having you as a running mate! :lol: And, I look forward to serving as your second in command!

YemonYime, THANK YOU for hosting this awesome cointest and for overseeing election results!!!! :) I can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

And for everyone who voted for either catsnfish or myself, THANK YOU for making this a very entertaining cointest (and fattening with all the talks of some yummy sounding food) !! :D

congrats to the new President and vise president, Joe and Keely! :D

WOW!!... is that the Geocaching Obama and Hillary??? :lol:

Yime that was fun!!! :) I enjoyed it so much!! And.. I found an other greek here!! :(

hmm... let's see now... we have ouzo, baclava, apple pie.... maybe some souvlaki, gyros, spanakopita, musaka.... and then lots of soda water and a good diet to lose the kilos we will earn...!! :)

Hmm.... that the good politicians.... they give the baclava to the people.... not like the original politicians.... who usually send the bill to pay the baclava even if we haven't tasted it... or they tell us to make it so they can eat it alone!

Now... something came in my mind.... you were running for presidency in the Yimeland right??? I am wondering why none said anything for a lemon pie... or better... Yime pie!!! :D

My fellow Yimericans, :lol: thank you for the honor you have bestowed on me!

mekk, you had a great pic and you ran a great campaign, and what a clean race no mudslinging and a recipe exchange. :)

GATOULIS while my campaign manager was a great ambassador and I appoint him to be "Yimerican Coin Ambassador and party planner" Opa!!

The power of the Blue Bow is strong and as the wearer of it, I appoint Sioneva "Speech Writer Extraordinaire!"

Thanks to all who voted in the race and gave encouragement to each of the candidates.

Most of all Thanks to Yemon Yime for creating this Coinage Country called Yimerica and for their generosity and great sense of humor!!

All Hail Yemon Yime!!! :D:D:)

That being said, GATOULIS my friend. it's party time!!!

souvlaki_c5891.jpgsouvlakiGyro.jpg gyrosGreek_moussaka.jpg moussaka051093063-01-spanakopita.jpgspanakopitabaklava.jpgbaklava

and as promised in the campaign!

ouzo_metaxa_with_amphora.jpg Ouzo... and Metaxa

careful though too much of either and...ouzo_metaxa_spin.gif

OPA!!!

Edited by catsnfish

My fellow Yimericans, :lol: thank you for the honor you have bestowed on me!

mekk, you had a great pic and you ran a great campaign, and what a clean race no mudslinging and a recipe exchange. :)

GATOULIS while my campaign manager was a great ambassador and I appoint him to be "Yimerican Coin Ambassador and party planner" Opa!!

The power of the Blue Bow is strong and as the wearer of it, I appoint Sioneva "Speech Writer Extraordinaire!"

Thanks to all who voted in the race and gave encouragement to each of the candidates.

Most of all Thanks to Yemon Yime for creating this Coinage Country called Yimerica and for their generosity and great sense of humor!!

All Hail Yemon Yime!!! :D:D:)

That being said, GATOULIS my friend. it's party time!!!

souvlaki_c5891.jpgsouvlakiGyro.jpg gyrosGreek_moussaka.jpg moussaka051093063-01-spanakopita.jpgspanakopitabaklava.jpgbaklava

and as promised in the campaign!

ouzo_metaxa_with_amphora.jpg Ouzo... and Metaxa

careful though too much of either and...ouzo_metaxa_spin.gif

OPA!!!

has anyone got any screen cleaner? ive just drooled over the screen!

:lol: WOW!! what an honor!!! coin abassador and party animal... emm sorry party planer! :)

I have to be completely honest in something...(is that good for politics??) and I hope you your understanding my friend.... I tried to help Mekk too... with my posts... and not to show this a lot... well more o less like I did the same with you... :( So maybe I do not deserve the honor to be abbassador! :D

Mekk is Greek american so I am sure she will enjoy this Greek party! :D

Hmm.... on the other hand... not I am in bussines!! IThe presicent is a good froend of nine... the vise president too and she has routes from my country.... hmm...since I am jobless now... I am sure I will have some help to find a job in the Yimeland! :D

I am sure the world would be much better if presidents prime ministers etc were like you 2 my friends!:)

Aw.... I am feelin' the love in here! :lol:

I need to find the photo I have of my grandfather and his parents taken around 1898 in Crete. I am blessed to have such a wonderful portrait of him showing a bit of my family's history and culture! (off to look)

:lol: WOW!! what an honor!!! coin abassador and party animal... emm sorry party planer! :lol:

I have to be completely honest in something...(is that good for politics??) and I hope you your understanding my friend.... I tried to help Mekk too... with my posts... and not to show this a lot... well more o less like I did the same with you... :D So maybe I do not deserve the honor to be abbassador! :)

Mekk is Greek american so I am sure she will enjoy this Greek party! :D

Hmm.... on the other hand... not I am in bussines!! IThe presicent is a good froend of nine... the vise president too and she has routes from my country.... hmm...since I am jobless now... I am sure I will have some help to find a job in the Yimeland! :lol:

I am sure the world would be much better if presidents prime ministers etc were like you 2 my friends!:)

That is exactly why you are the Ambassador Nikos! You worked for the good of both :D now your chances of being hired as a campaign manager again... not so good ;):anibad:

Aw.... I am feelin' the love in here! :anibad:

I need to find the photo I have of my grandfather and his parents taken around 1898 in Crete. I am blessed to have such a wonderful portrait of him showing a bit of my family's history and culture! (off to look)

:lol: would love to see it! Somewhere, I have a pic of my grandfathers family just after they came to America in about 1904.

A few more appointments as well! opalsns will be Yimerica's attorney general for her staunch defense of the voting protocols :anibad: and Wedge the Cacher will become the official Beige House pet!

Anyone else wanting a cabinet position, please post your preferences and qualifications!

:anibad: so my chances for a campaign manager are not so good now... right? :lol: But you won, didn't you? :lol:

WOW!!! Mekk!!! I would love to see that photo!! It is quite old!! 1898....

when the photo was taken, Crete was an independent state! Crete was under Ottomans, but there were so many revolutions.... the biggest one was in 1896 and Crete because Independent! they wanted to join Greece but the big powers of the time (England, France, Russia, Austria....) didn't want that! Greece was in war and finally lost it in 1897 and things with Turks were not so good.... So... it was decided that Crete will be independent state! They had their own flag too and their own coins and banknotes!!!!(I am missing the banknotes but I have the silver coins and 2 nickel ones!)

creta-1931.jpg

The flag is very close to the old Greek flag (the one we use now is the navy flag! The land flag was blue with a big white cross in the middle like the one you see in Cretan state….without the red square and the star!)

Th flag of Crete has the flag of Greece to show the connection with Greece, and it is a Greek area and the red with the star shows the connection with the Ottoman Empire...because it was an ottoman empire land before the revolution and there were turks living there too!

I think the Cretan State was born in 1898 and its first Ruler was a Prince from the Greek royal family (who actually were… from Denmark!)

His name was George like the King of Greece at that time, but they were not the same person! that is a mistake many do...

He was not so good and soon...he was gone! :lol:

There were many fights between Greeks and Turks, many innocent people were slaughtered from both sides… things were not so good!

In 1908 Eleftherios Venizelos Declared the union with mother Greece! Of course Officially this happent in 1913!

So your grand father may had left because of the fights too!

Edited by GATOULIS

:anibad: so my chances for a campaign manager are not so good now... right? :lol: But you won, didn't you? :lol:

WOW!!! Mekk!!! I would love to see that photo!! It is quite old!! 1898....

when the photo was taken, Crete was an independent state! Crete was under Ottomans, but there were so many revolutions.... the biggest one was in 1896 and Crete because Independent! they wanted to join Greece but the big powers of the time (England, France, Russia, Austria....) didn't want that! Greece was in war and finally lost it in 1897 and things with Turks were not so good.... So... it was decided that Crete will be independent state! They had their own flag too and their own coins and banknotes!!!!(I am missing the banknotes but I have the silver coins and 2 nickel ones!)

creta-1931.jpg

The flag is very close to the old Greek flag (the one we use now is the navy flag! The land flag was blue with a big white cross in the middle like the one you see in Cretan state….without the red square and the star!)

Th flag of Crete has the flag of Greece to show the connection with Greece, and it is a Greek area and the red with the star shows the connection with the Ottoman Empire...because it was an ottoman empire land before the revolution and there were turks living there too!

I think the Cretan State was born in 1898 and its first Ruler was a Prince from the Greek royal family (who actually were… from Denmark!)

His name was George like the King of Greece at that time, but they were not the same person! that is a mistake many do...

He was not so good and soon...he was gone! :lol:

There were many fights between Greeks and Turks, many innocent people were slaughtered from both sides… things were not so good!

In 1908 Eleftherios Venizelos Declared the union with mother Greece! Of course Officially this happent in 1913!

So your grand father may had left because of the fights too!

What a great History Lesson! I will save this!

Here's the photo I mentioned. My grandfather is in the middle with my great grandparents on either side. He was born in December of 1897 so this was sometime probably late 1898 or early 1899. I believe he came to the US around 1914.

poppop.jpg