~~~ The Fabulous Forum Photo Challenge! ~~~

YemonYime

As Heather and I walked past 2 fountains today, a smile came to my face as I was reminded of this thread.

Aaaah!

An' t'at's t'e BES' part mates!! :grin:

In the spirit of giving...we have coupons for the Betty Ford Cache clinic if needed during the course of this challenge....

Well done rockymtn8iv !!! :lol:

As America celebrates her 234th birthday,

I invite yankee doodle dandies everywhere to join in a

FOURTH OF JULY FREE-FOR-ALL

* * * "FIRST TO PHOTO" RULES DO NOT APPLY * * *

THIS COINTEST IS FOR MULTIPLE ENTRANTS

PHOTO CHALLENGE II:

"Freedom, Frosting and Fireworks"

Post a picture of a team member...

draped in Old Glory,

wearing a crown,

holding a Betty Crocker cookbook (left arm),

holding up a cupcake (right hand),

with a lit candle and a geocoin in it,

with fireworks!!!

Free-For-All Rules:

This challenge is NOT a "First To Photo" as the first one, but a challenge open to multiple entrants. All the standard rules apply except for Rule #5.

All listed items, objects and actions are to be taken literally, and must be clearly visible in the photo.

One photo per Geocaching ID Team, with a deadline of posting by Monday at 12:00pm EDT.

(That gives entrants time to celebrate, pass out, sleep in, take some Advil, and post their photo the next day with a hangover.)

For The People, By The People:

Just like America, the winner will be decided by popular vote! But just like America, a secret cabal of influential individuals (The Yimes) will determine the top three candidates. ;) On Super Tuesday (July 6th), I will post the three candidates and open voting in this thread until the polls close at 11:59 EDT, July 6th. The votes will be tallied, and the winner announced! One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)

Specific Ridiculousness:

This challenge is open to everyone, but obviously geared towards us yanks as we celebrate today. Don't worry Denmark, you can play in the next challenge.

Any crown or tiara will do, but today's theme is obviously to look like the Statue of Liberty.

You read that right. A Betty Crocker cookbook. Someone in your family has one.

The more frosting the better, but the candle's gotta be lit, and the coin stuck in the cupcake.

The key to the fireworks is timing! You've gotta have a thunder-boomer going off in the picture, so your camera buddy better have the flash ready to capture you striking a pose at just the right time!

The Prize:

The winner will receive...

ga06silver.gif

A .999 Silver (One Troy Ounce) 2006 Geocache America! Geocoin

264.gif

Trackable and Unactivated!

My fellow Americans, FLAUNT YOUR FREEDOM!

GOOD LUCK, AND HAVE A JOYOUS FOURTH OF JULY!!!

ameriyime4.gif

48df80c7-4edf-4ee6-873d-23b5283b7790.jpg

Well...blow me down, me bucko!

BRAVO, rockymtn8iv, BRAVO!

Excellent! Just flat-out excellent!!! Congratulations, and my sincere thanks

for kicking off this project with exactly the spirit I was hoping for.

I can only imagine the looks you got as you stood there in the water like the Karate Kid.

A job well done!

And to the victors, go the spoils...

Not only have you earned your Compass Rose booty,

but I am proud to present you, rockymtn8iv,

with the first ever...

Certificate of Ridiculosity

certificatePC1.jpg

It is well known that geocachers are rarely ashamed to put their enthusiasm on display for all to see.

Yet, there are those that truly go the extra mile in spreading the spirit and essence

of what the sport of geocaching is all about.

This prestigious, yet nonsensical award shall be bestowed only upon

those select few individuals who demonstrate the extraordinary ability

to stare embarrassment directly in the eye...

and enthusiastically embrace their inner imbecile.

:blink::D;)

Let's hear it for rockymtn8iv

---> applause, applause and more applause <---

That's our show for today, folks.

But be sure to stay tuned for our Fabulous Fourth of July special!

Given the spirit of this contest, I'd like to throw in a belated add-on prize of an FSM coin as well. It goes perfectly with the pirate theme!

I'll reach out to YY to coordinate delivery to you.

Argh!

PHOTO CHALLENGE II:

draped in Old Glory,

wearing a crown,

with fireworks!!!

Free-For-All Rules:

This challenge is NOT a "First To Photo" as the first one, but a challenge open to multiple entrants. All the standard rules apply except for Rule #5.

All listed items, objects and actions are to be taken literally, and must be clearly visible in the photo.

One photo per Geocaching ID Team, with a deadline of posting by Monday at 12:00pm EDT.

(That gives entrants time to celebrate, pass out, sleep in, take some Advil, and post their photo the next day with a hangover.)

Just like America, the winner will be decided by popular vote! But just like America, a secret cabal of influential individuals (The Yimes) will determine the top three candidates. ;) On Super Tuesday (July 6th), I will post the three candidates and open voting in this thread until the polls close at 11:59 EDT, July 6th. The votes will be tallied, and the winner announced! One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)

Specific Ridiculousness:

This challenge is open to everyone, but obviously geared towards us yanks as we celebrate today. Don't worry Denmark, you can play in the next challenge.

Any crown or tiara will do, but today's theme is obviously to look like the Statue of Liberty.

The more frosting the better, but the candle's gotta be lit, and the coin stuck in the cupcake.

The key to the fireworks is timing! You've gotta have a thunder-boomer going off in the picture, so your camera buddy better have the flash ready to capture you striking a pose at just the right time!

The Prize:

ga06silver.gif

264.gif

ameriyime4.gif

Flippin' Awesome! This one should be better than the last...

~J

Happy 4th of July!

Oh! No fireworks here, and no Betty Crocker cookbooks... We have greek ones.... but...

Oh boy.... and the price is amazing!!! 1 troy ounce silver in geocoin!!! A dream coin!!! Oh... I will go to hit my head on the wall and come back later! ;)

Edited by GATOULIS

Just to clarify, this challenge is open to multiple entrants with no rush to be the first to post. All of the previous rules apply except for Rule #5. However, Eartha will be enforcing Rule #6 heavily. Everyone knows her agents will be out on the streets looking for trouble tonight, so don't even TRY to break Rule #6.

Deadline to post a photo is 12:00 EDT Monday, July 5th.

If we get enough entries, I'll post the top three candidates by early Tuesday morning...and the voting can begin!

One vote posted per GC ID, with the standard "no sock puppet" rules in play.

Voting ends at 11:59pm EDT on Tuesday, July 6th.

In case of a tie, the Speaker of the House (Mrs. Yime) will decide the winner.

Special thanks to FSM for the added swag earlier, and for going well with a nice chianti.

God Bless America.

Let's see... Betty Crocker. Check! Candle. Check! Cupcake... Umm what the heck I can buy one. Check! Crown. (debates over rather this really cool crown I made for Wolf Song's 2nd birthday will be OK.) check? Fire Works. CHECK! I mean going to check, because our local ones were put off to next weekend due to all the rain. But I'm finding fireworks if I have to drive 100 miles to get them. Old Glory. Where is the Flag? Throwing stuff around like crazy. Ding Dang it I can't find the Flag... Well if I can find the darn thing or borrow one and get someone to hold everything just right as the fireworks blast off in the distance I'm in.

I've got some great photos of my entry but I'm having trouble getting them from the JPEG file this post. Help? ;)

Whenever I try to post the pics, they say posts in aren't suitable. I have no clue what that means.

e-mail sent...hope all goes well!

ILYK

Given the spirit of this contest, I'd like to throw in a belated add-on prize of an FSM coin as well. It goes perfectly with the pirate theme!

I'll reach out to YY to coordinate delivery to you.

Argh!

;)AWESOME!!!!

We get a "a wet noodly snuggling from the Flying Spaghetti Monsterrrrrr!"too!!???

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifT'ANK YE, T'ANK YE, T'ANK YE!!!!notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Best of luck, best wishes and HAPPY 4TH to ALL!!!

PHOTO CHALLENGE II:

draped in Old Glory,

wearing a crown,

with fireworks!!!

Free-For-All Rules:

Just like America, the winner will be decided by popular vote! But just like America, a secret cabal of influential individuals (The Yimes) will determine the top three candidates. :D On Super Tuesday (July 6th), I will post the three candidates and open voting in this thread until the polls close at 11:59 EDT, July 6th. The votes will be tallied, and the winner announced! One vote per GC ID, and no sock puppets! (See Rule #1 for eligibility)

Specific Ridiculousness:

The Prize:

ga06silver.gif

264.gif

ameriyime4.gif

;)We LOVE it!

We laughed so hard we fell down and broke our crown, and it looks like the only fireworks we'll be seein' tonite is of the lightning variety, but hey, we don't mind! We're all for spreading it around! :D

We are so lookin' forward to seein' everyone's photos!

HAPPY B-DAY AMERICA! B)

and

HAPPY CACHIN' TO ALL!!! :blink:

Great picture.

We just got home and I have pictures but I'm not sure how they look because I haven't found the cord to get them to my computer. Let's just say what a challenge.

On the way down to the beach the cupcakes tilted and the icing slid off the tops into a gooey mess. The coin was large one because I figured that would be easier to see. But the cupcake was crumbling from the weight of everything. The wind was whipping on the beach and there was no way to keep the candle lit and take the picture. I had a fake candle that I put on the cupcake and I hope that is acceptable, because it is a lit candle. We decided to use Wolf’s song as the model but he couldn’t hold the book with one hand. We finally decided to put him in a chair and prop the book up, but he kept sitting down. Plus the wind kept blowing the crown down over his eyes. So we decided to let him sit. I must have taken about 10 pictures, but I swear every time I took one (the flash was making it really slow) he would turn to look at the fireworks or the fireworks would suddenly stop. At least as well as I could see in the tiny viewfinder. Can’t blame an almost 3 year old for wanting to see the fireworks. LOL I finally had Wolf Dancer put on the get up hoping that if the one’s I’d already taken weren’t good enough I’d have a backup. We had to switch to a new cupcake at that point, because the first one was toast. The crown kept blowing off of him and he had to hold his arm straight up along his face to keep it on. I snapped several trying to get fireworks in the background and then I decided we’d put enough effort into it and we settled back to enjoy the show. In retrospect I should have waited for the grand finale with it’s non stop fireworks to take the photo. Which I did suggest to my husband, but he was too impatient which is why he can’t take the picture. He takes one and cuts off the top of my head or something like that almost every time. I’m off to try and find the cord so I can see which picture is the best.

I'm so embarrassed. All that work for nothing. Unless I can find some fireworks tomorrow it looks like we will be DQ'd. I am hopeless when it comes to getting left and right correct. I wrote everything down and read it right before I set it up. Book in the left hand, cupcake in the right. Grrr that's his left and right not mine. LOL I didn't even realize it was backwards until I looked back at catsnfish's entry and thought something looks weird and then when I looked back at mine it hit me... If I don't get a chance to take another one I'll post one anyway. None are really great like I was hoping for. I had a Kodak camera I loved and it bit the dust. They refused to fix it under warranty claiming I'd gotten it wet (which I hadn't) so I got angry and decided to buy a Canon. It's the top of the line without getting into changeable lenes. It sucks compared to the Kodak I had. So much for getting great reviews. It takes forever to take a picture and they are nowhere near as crisp. If I could afford it I'd go buy a Kodak and sell this one at a loss. I may do that anyway and just forgo the pretty much useless 20x zoom. Off to see if I can find some more fireworks tomorrow night.

Thankfully the rest of the MEKK team were good sports last night! The town canceled their fireworks due to cutbacks, but there are always fireworks going off in our neighborhood (holiday or not). I went through my checklist... all were checked. My teenage daughter agreed to be the victim er... subject and my 6 year old son wanted to stand along side her holding a sparkler while wearing his "crown", too. But all good plans are subject to change when little ones and sparklers are part of the plan!

The fireworks were going off in all different directions EXCEPT when the candle was lit. However, when the candle flame went out, fireworks were everywhere! :lol:

Thought I would try to make "the" cupcake a little more patriotic with LOTS of icing by taking the icing off the other cupcakes so I piled one layer of red, a layer of white and then a layer of blue. Great idea!....but this is Florida and even at night, it is HOT so after the icing started melted down my daughter's arm while waiting for the intermittent bursts of fireworks, I went back to a simpler method - just one layer of blue. And a change of a subject and since my husband said no way, it was up to me.

So, I put on everything, daughter clamped Old Glory to my clothes and I stood in the middle of the street.... and waited. When my neighbor came out and started laughing, I told him not to ask and he replied that "you just never know what you are going to see sometimes..." (he's a funny one) :)

Still had the same issue with the candle and the fireworks timing but my husband did great manning the camera. I was doing a long exposure with no flash so I told him how long to hold the remote in to get the shot. The best photo was one where the fireworks had just ended, the ones of my daughter, there's a ghost image of my son walking through it, so this is the one that showed all the elements the best.

The coin is one that is very special - a Fallen Heros Geocoin - which I just received about a week ago, but am waiting on them to activate it (a special request to hopefully have this one dedicated to my husband's cousin who was KIA in Iraq Christmas Day 2007).

4thofjulycointest.jpg

4thofjulycointest_2.jpg

Okay, the family and I are currently on the road heading to Illinois, so I'll review the photos when I can see them better on the laptop.  Probably should've gone through tonight for photo submissions, but let's stick to the current rules because it wouldn't be fair to the ones that posted on time. 

If you do have a photo that you'd like to post for fun, go right ahead for giggles. Perhaps you'll leave a strong impression in the minds of future voters! 

I'll check back tonight and set things up for our election!    

Well, I would like to cast my vote for post #126 simply due to "Specific Ridiculousness rule #2", not that I don't like the photo of your wife too, CnF. It seems to me that I went more towards the "oooh, aaaah" factor with the outstretched arm and the glowing flame of the torch, er.. cupcake.

Nicely done and well deserved in my opinion.

~J

Well I was tired when I got home early this morning I read the directions as midnight tonight, Not noon. I should add I'm just getting over a bad case of bronchitis and I haven't slept well in almost a month. My son who is potty training has been waking up at 3=4 am to potty and then not going back to sleep for hours. I got about 3 hours Sat night before we started going on Sun. Just so you know I'm not a total ditz. OK so maybe a bit. I guess I was just thinking that there are a lot of celibrations today and you were giving people a chance to get a picture tonight too. By the time I got everything put away and got wound down it was after 5 am before I got to sleep. When my sleepless son slept until after noon I slept right along with him. I actually don't think I woke up coughing even once for the first time in a month. I feel like a winner just for that. I'll go ahead and post the best of our picture for you're viewing pleasure. Oh well we had fun trying. I'll post the pictures as soon as I can get them transferred. I seem to be having trouble with my computer and everytime I try it shuts down before they ae saved. I tried sending them straight to photobcket from the camera but it' not seen them an I'm not savvy enough to know why.

Well like I already said I messed up left from right anyway. I write left handed but pretty I'm much ambidexterous so I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I when I do things I don't have a clear dominate hand. I can actually write almost as well with my right hand (just slower) as I do with my left and I barely ever practiced with the right. Practiced tons and tons with my left, so it's really strange. Anyway I'm not worried about it. As long as there will be other cointests. smile. I'm getting a kick out of seeing the really great photos others are posting. OK I'm going to try and post one of the photos I took. I'm sure the hundreds of people on the beach around us were trying to figure out what we were doing, but only 1 group asked. What was left of the beach was packed for miles. Not a spare place on the sea wall and many had set up in the parking lots. We were so close to the water that as the tide came in we were forced to abandon our blanket and sit in the chairs where the waves lapped at our feet as the fireworks spangled the sky. The best way to watch fireworks by the way.

oops too big. I resized it. Last edit.

IMG_6817.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/D...tt/IMG_6817.jpg

trying again

Edited by wolfslady

Well like I already said I messed up left from right anyway. I write left handed but pretty I'm much ambidexterous so I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I when I do things I don't have a clear dominate hand. I can actually write almost as well with my right hand (just slower) as I do with my left and I barely ever practiced with the right. Practiced tons and tons with my left, so it's really strange. Anyway I'm not worried about it. As long as there will be other cointests. smile. I'm getting a kick out of seeing the really great photos others are posting. OK I'm going to try and post one of the photos I took. I'm sure the hundreds of people on the beach around us were trying to figure out what we were doing, but only 1 group asked. What was left of the beach was packed for miles. Not a spare place on the sea wall and many had set up in the parking lots. We were so close to the water that as the tide came in we were forced to abandon our blanket and sit in the chairs where the waves lapped at our feet as the fireworks spangled the sky. The best way to watch fireworks by the way.

IMG_6817.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/D...tt/IMG_6817.jpg

trying again

Sweet and your young one doesn't look happy but is willing to be cooperative - ;-)

It's so weird this new camera I have does not like to take a smiling picture of him. He will be running around laughing and I will chase after him for a picture and by the time it snaps he's either out of the frame or the smile is gone. Halloween I took about 40 pictures and I remember him having a great time and laughing most of the time, but the few pictures I have with an actual smile only show part of him. But yes he was more interested in watching the fireworks so he wasn't amused when I said turn around and look at mama for a minutes. I think it's the pic before that he's turned halfway around. I resized it and copy and pasted the new one, but it's still showing up the same on my computer. Odd.

I used photo bucket and IMG code to get it to show. Of course the last one I tried. LOL I hope that helps.

Great Balls of Fire!!!  It certainly looks like we had some patriotism on display in the streets of America!  As always, I love hearing the aftertales of on-lookers' reactions.  If anything, THAT is what this is all about...spreading the fun around!

Excellent work by catsnfish and mekk, who will face-off in a Super Tuesday Election Extravaganza!  Voting officially begins at 12:00am midnight tonight (EDT) and will run for 24 hours.  Please hold your votes until then, as it's more organized.  I'll only count those with a July 6th posting date (my time, EDT) 

I hear your feedback about the cointest deadlines, but there had to be a deadline somewhere. Gotta stick to what was posted because it was what it was.  I was anticipating being out of communication for the better part of Monday, so I chose times that I'd be around for.  Hey, it's my dime up for grabs!  

But I do realize that some of you are having trouble posting photos, or were confused by the times posted.  I'm not much help, as I'm away from my usual methods of uploading.  But I'd be a-googlin' for some suggestions.

That being said, catsnfish and mekk are our candidates, with "El Presidente" receiving the Silver Prize.  The runner-up will be our Vice President, and will receive one of my other Geocache America Geocoins! 

With all of that said, I am indeed NOT a sour citrus. When citizens show such pride in their country, it should be seen.  So, with the power vested in myself, by myself...I will extend a second chance to those who would still like to show off their statuesque physiques.

So listen up this time, ya hear? :lol:

Post your photos from now until the Primary Voting ends at 11:59pm, Tuesday, July 6th, and I will appoint one additional person as Mayor of East Yimesburgh for one day, and send them a geocoin.

Now get out there and strike the pose!

And don't forget to post your votes for Representative catsnfish and Senator mekk tomorrow! 

Lookin' GOOD all!

For those havin' problems uploading photos:

What we do is go to one of our trackables pages (you can also do this on a cache page),

Hit the link to upload a photo and upload it to the page.

After it uploads, go down to the image link and click on edit. On the page that comes up with the image on it, click (or double click) on the image to open the original.

Then copy the URL from the browser address bar at the top of the screen and paste that into the box that comes up when you hit insert image on the forum reply.

Once you've uploaded it to the forum post you can delete it from your trackable/cache page.

Now let's see some more of those great photos! :lol:

Lookin' GOOD all!

For those havin' problems uploading photos:

What we do is go to one of our trackables pages (you can also do this on a cache page),

Hit the link to upload a photo and upload it to the page.

After it uploads, go down to the image link and click on edit. On the page that comes up with the image on it, click (or double click) on the image to open the original.

Then copy the URL from the browser address bar at the top of the screen and paste that into the box that comes up when you hit insert image on the forum reply.

Once you've uploaded it to the forum post you can delete it from your trackable/cache page.

Now let's see some more of those great photos! :lol:

or just use Photobucket

its weird that deleting the photo from the cache page still keeps the link alive, photos must still stay on the server which makes no sense since they occupy a lot of space

Edited by t4e

it's up to Yemon Yime, but I have no problem with an extension for wolfslady and tommytrojan360. They did post before the deadline that they had pics but were having problems uploading. :)

Ahhhhhh, a candidate that knows how to campaign. Being friendly and gracious toward your opponent is how it works here in the U. S. of A. As well as the increasingly biting "negative ads" that escalate as we get closer to Election Day.

So...you didn't seriously think I was going to leave the very essence of American politics out of this cointest did you?

Aww hecks no!

Afterall, Representative catsnfish and Senator mekk are running for a very important position! They need to establish trust in the voting public in order to be victorious! That means getting out there on the road, shaking hands with people, kissing babies, and striking down their opponent with a calm, calculated vengeance!

And so it is with a rather large grin that I post the SECOND part of their challenge!!!

That's right...Representative catsnfish and Senator mekk, YOU MUST NOW CAMPAIGN!

This means, do ANYTHING you can to sway the voters your way. You could post a pic of yourself holding a puppy, or shaking hands with a senior citizen. Or, you could just tell us why your opponent is unworthy! Like...Her cupcakes have been known to cause nausea, or she kicks kittens! Slam your opponent and make yourself look good! All in fun, of course. :lol:

Just in case anyone misses the point here, I'll declare right now that any "roasting" of either opponent is entirely done in fun, and that no offense will be inferred by anything said. This is now officially a sarcasm-filled zone! These two candidates have shown an extraordinary sense of humor, so I hope to see some more creativity from our fun-loving candidates!

And so, my fellow citizens, listen to what your candidates say. Watch what your candidates do. Judge them in any way you choose, and then make your voice heard with your vote!

LET THE CAMPAIGNING BEGIN!!!

it's up to Yemon Yime, but I have no problem with an extension for wolfslady and tommytrojan360. They did post before the deadline that they had pics but were having problems uploading. :lol:

I don't have any problem with it either! :)

Edited to add.. I didn't read further than catsnfish's post before responding and seeing the Part Deux of this awesome challenge!

Hmmmm..........

Edited by mekk

In the spirit of electoral fun here, voters - please feel free to vote for me as a write-in candidate! :anicute: Oh and if you are a special interest group that can bring me a large block of voters PM and we will work out a price.

Truly though, great photos you guys and a most excellent challenge coming out of Yimerica. I'm enjoying watching this thread even if not competing directly.

:lol::)