Anyone interested in an excursion to "Get to the Point"

GordEtob

Last year there was some interest from people about hiring a boat to get geocachers to the "Get To The Point!" (GCXJWE) geocache on Long Point on Lake Erie.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cf-a08db805501c

I'm attempting to organize a 32-foot charter boat from Crockett Fishing Charters to go to Long Point on Sat. Aug. 7th, 2010.

Here are the details so far for the proposed "Get to the Point!" geocaching excursion:

- They will charter the boat (a 32-footer) for a geocaching trip and take up to 12 people to Long Point from the Port Rowan marina.

- proposed date is SAT. AUG. 7, 2010. Tentative departure: 9:00 A.M.

- it takes 3 hours to get there by boat and three hours to get back; we'll probably stay no more than an hour (at most) at Long Point. So, 7 hours total is the estimated duration.

- there is a ladder and a deck on the stern of the boat to get into the water. They can anchor close enough (in four feet of water) so that we could wade to shore.

- there is a washroom on the boat. We have to bring our own food and drinks.

- the charter fee is $500.00 (plus the dreaded HST), making the total $565. That would make it $47.03 per person. I figure on rounding it up to $50.00 per person (no child discount, unfortunately) and use the balance of $35 for food/drinks, or miscellaneous expenses, if that's acceptable to all.

- the charter boat company is holding that date for me and will request a $100 deposit within 7 days.

- "In the event of bad weather an alternate date can be set"

Let me know ASAP if you're interested, and how many will be in your party. I have to provide them with the deposit by next Monday if we want that date or they'll release it. The first firm commitments will get priority. I'll keep a waiting list for maybe's or standby's.

GordEtob

we were actually talking about renting a small boat for this cache just the other day. we found a rental that would rent out a small fishing boat for $85 for a full day, incl a tank of gas. but i don't know if it's actually possible to do the whole trip with such a small boat? does anyone have enough experience to answer that?

well, count us in for two. we'll also try to bring it up at today's CREW event in kitchener to get more people.

Edited by dfx

we were actually talking about renting a small boat for this cache just the other day. we found a rental that would rent out a small fishing boat for $85 for a full day, incl a tank of gas. but i don't know if it's actually possible to do the whole trip with such a small boat? does anyone have enough experience to answer that?

well, count us in for two. we'll also try to bring it up at today's CREW event in kitchener to get more people.

I checked with another boat rental place last summer and they quoted me close to the same price. But when I told them I wanted to go to the Long Point lighthouse, they said "No way" and that the open boat wouldn't be safe in rough water. Maybe they were just trying to get rid of me...

About 10 years ago, I rented a 60-hp boat from a marina up at the narrows of Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching. For just a few hours of exploring we went to the first lock north of Lake Couchiching and back, and went through nearly two tanks of gas! (Five gallon tanks). I guess that was about 40 or 50 kilometres in total. The one-way distance from Port Rowan to the tip of Long Point is 35 kilometres, so if you do rent a small boat, make sure you have enough fuel to get back!

OK, DFX, two it is.

I also checked with another boat rental place last summer and they quoted me close to the same price. But when I told them I wanted to go to the Long Point lighthouse, they said "No way" and that the open boat wouldn't be safe in rough water. Maybe they were just trying to get rid of me...

About 10 years ago, I rented a 60-hp boat from a marina up at the narrows of Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching. For just a few hours of exploring we went to the first lock north of Lake Couchiching and back, and went through nearly two tanks of gas! (Five gallon tanks). I guess that was about 40 or 50 kilometres in total. The one-way distance from Port Rowan to the tip of Long Point is 35 kilometres, so if you do rent a small boat, make sure you have enough fuel to get back!

the point is to manage to get 12 people so we could stay in that price, perhaps aiming first to figure out a date that would be suitable for 12 people is the starting point

what is their cancellation policy?...if you put down the deposit and need to cancel would you loose it?

yeah that's what i figured.

well, i made an announcement about this plan at the local event today, telling people to come here if they're interested. let's see how many will do...

maybe it would help to create an event cache for this trip, so people can get two smilies instead of just one :P

the point is to manage to get 12 people so we could stay in that price, perhaps aiming first to figure out a date that would be suitable for 12 people is the starting point

what is their cancellation policy?...if you put down the deposit and need to cancel would you loose it?

Here's their answer on that question:

"In the event of bad weather an alternate date can be set. If you need to cancel for any other reason we would appreciate 24 hours notice otherwise deposit would be forfeited."

yeah that's what i figured.

well, i made an announcement about this plan at the local event today, telling people to come here if they're interested. let's see how many will do...

maybe it would help to create an event cache for this trip, so people can get two smilies instead of just one :P

I thought about setting up an event for that, but would a limit of 12 people qualify for an event? I suppose it could be open to anyone, if they come down to the dock to see us off, and then go off caching in the area...

I thought about setting up an event for that, but would a limit of 12 people qualify for an event? I suppose it could be open to anyone, if they come down to the dock to see us off, and then go off caching in the area...

there is no minimum attendance required for a regular event, only the mega events have that

come to think of it you could place an event within the distance guidelines near that cache and make it a 5/5 rating :P

Here's their answer on that question:

"In the event of bad weather an alternate date can be set. If you need to cancel for any other reason we would appreciate 24 hours notice otherwise deposit would be forfeited."

that works well :D

Edited by t4e

I am interested but I need to finalize our summer plans. That may not happen before the deadline. So for now I am interested but not confirmed. I will be in Pt Dover the following weekend for the PD13 Friday. My cache will have a boosted rating of 5 for only a few hours (GC20ZHM). Keep an eye on that.

If one of the Waterloo region locals will be kind enough to provide me with a lift to the area, I'm in as well.

sure thing. you're probably more "on the way" for people actually coming from waterloo, but if none of them are able to give you a ride, then we will.

Good news all:

I just contacted the Crockett Fishing Charters (I'll just say "Crockett" in future), to tell them I'm sending the deposit and to hold the boat. And I also found out that the $500.00 charter fee already includes HST!! So, split 12 ways, that's $41.67 each. I'll make it $42.00 if that's OK with everyone to cover miscellaneous expenses. Any surplus, I'll just deposit in a charity box, like Tim Horton's camp fund.

So, we have 10 people that are signed up, and four possibles. It looks like we're going to have a full complement!

Here's the list so far:

1) GordEtob (that's me!)

2) DFX

3) t43

4) geocite

5) geocite #2

6) ElectroQTed

7) ElectroQTed #2

8) HomerJFong

9) Hamgram

10) PumpkinOneA

I'm making up an email group to keep you all informed directly.

I'll keep a standby list in case anyone has to drop out at the last moment due to unforseen circumstances.

Happy caching, Gord

We have 12 people!

If anyone else would like to be put on the "standby" list in case someone can't make it, let me know.

I see you are getting people for standby... perhaps the boat owner would like it if the extra people

were interested in a 2nd trip if they don't get on the first... maybe he could run regular visits...

or some such.

Also I don't recall seeing whether Brendah et al ever got out there... did you, I must go check...

Edit: I see that thread was closed down back in the Winter... but seems they were progressing... still don't know what they were doing, perhaps this is the overflow trip (s) after all. Good luck.

Doug 7rxc, too far away to go...

Edited by 7rxc

Bad news: The excursion to "Get To the Point" on Sat. August 7th has been cancelled! :laughing:

I just sent an e-mail to all participants with the following message:

***************************************************************************************

Hi all,

I just spoke to the owner/operator of Crockett Fishing Charters about our excursion on Sat. Aug. 7th to get final information about the trip. He informed me that he has to reluctantly cancel the trip due to new Department of Transport rules. Something about extra safety equipment that is required -- I don't know the details. He said he is no longer able to do any charters and may have to go out of business.

I will get the $100.00 deposit back.

Sorry for the disappointment. Maybe we can find someone with a private boat. But most won't likely be able to hold 12 people.

***************************************************************************************

Thanks to all for your interest. I'll try to do a bit more digging around to see if there are any other boats available, but it looks like this summer is a bust!

Happy caching, Gord

we're back in the game. we booked a boat trip to the tip of long point for august 29th, departing at 11 o'clock. 9 out of the 10 spots are already filled, so there's only room for one more.

the charter fee comes to $35 per person incl. taxes and round-trip time is about 3 hours. if anyone's interested, please shoot me a message ASAP, i'll also keep a standby-list.

details are available on request!

Edited by dfx

the half-day pontoon charter to be precise. with 3.5 hours total, it gives you just enough time for an exhaustive search for a missing cache and putting in place of a replacement container, which you definitely should bring along :rolleyes:

to answer gord's question from the cache log: i'm pretty sure nobody ever told the guy what we're doing there. he must think we're totally crazy, whipping out big money and spending half a day for a mere 30 minutes of poking around some trees and not even looking at the regular attractions (lighthouse, the tip) of the area :D