Retrieved Cache From Police - Stayed Out of Slammer

Now that I'm back from vacation, I contacted the detective who had possession of the cache that patrolling officers had confiscated (see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=252431 for that story). He told me to make an appointment to collect the cache.

I made my appointment and picked up the cache today - GC1A5QH - from a secretary with no problem. I didn't meet the detective but exchanged email with him several times so I know he was aware of the Geocaching and he told me that I could put the cache "back in play".

I sent a follow-up email to him today telling him I had put the cache back under the covered bridge and re-activated it, as I wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding about this. There wasn't - and he thanked me for stressing the parking regulations in the cache description.

I'll call this one a win!

Now that I'm back from vacation, I contacted the detective who had possession of the cache that patrolling officers had confiscated (see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=252431 for that story). He told me to make an appointment to collect the cache.

I made my appointment and picked up the cache today - GC1A5QH - from a secretary with no problem. I didn't meet the detective but exchanged email with him several times so I know he was aware of the Geocaching and he told me that I could put the cache "back in play".

I sent a follow-up email to him today telling him I had put the cache back under the covered bridge and re-activated it, as I wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding about this. There wasn't - and he thanked me for stressing the parking regulations in the cache description.

I'll call this one a win!

Thanks for the update!

A lot of cops spent time in the service, and therefore maps and finding things on them is close to second nature, not all cops, but quite a few, also they will research this "game" because honestly they get bored at work, and can say its work related research,

although i find a lot of cops out on a power trip, and generally have a distaste for traffic cops esspecially, once you prove to them you are being a good honest underinformed respectful citizen they will treat you right, especially if you are white, and not dressed like a slob or a hippie.

congrats on getting your "game piece" back, and standing up to the man. whether or not it was the right thing is debatable, as you were confessing by claiming, but in the end everything turned out ok and you got off the hook even without a warning of any lengthy degree.

Edited by ashnikes

...cops ...will treat you right, especially if you are white, ...

Sad but too often true. :laughing:

I grew up in a 'brown' section of the city, and I saw my non-white friends assumed guilty all the time. One friend was jumped and stabed; he ended up getting charged with asault. And this is in Canada were we didn't have the racial tension you americans did.

although i find a lot of cops out on a power trip, and generally have a distaste for traffic cops esspecially, once you prove to them you are being a good honest underinformed respectful citizen they will treat you right, especially if you are white, and not dressed like a slob or a hippie.

...cops ...will treat you right, especially if you are white, ...

Sad but too often true. :P

I grew up in a 'brown' section of the city, and I saw my non-white friends assumed guilty all the time. One friend was jumped and stabed; he ended up getting charged with asault. And this is in Canada were we didn't have the racial tension you americans did.

Holy moly, what crappy generalizations. As an employed jack booted thug let me give you some insight into us racist cops. We don't give a crap what color you or anyone else is. I use to work as a shoplift officer in a completely, and I mean COMPLETELY "brown" area of town. Any white guy that walked in there I watched like a hawk because I knew he didn't belong there. Everyone of those I caught shoplifting. Not because he was white (which I am also) but because I knew he didn't belong in that brown gang infested area. Now, as a cop I could still care less what color you are. And I can very safely say this goes for 99% of my brethren. We don't care what color you are. If you are breaking the law, you suffer. Its your fault not mine. I have also been at crime scene where it seems there is a clear victim who actually turns out to be the perpetrator. Guess what? We didn't change our minds or decide who to charge based on skin color. It had something to do with what we call facts. Also, the District Attorney files the charges. Are they racist too?

I can't defend traffic cops because they cite everyone...even other cops. :D