size clarifications

So... im working on an underwater cache, which will essentially be a large container, filled halfway with rocks (to help it sink) and a second waterproof container inside of it for swag items, which is half the size,

would I then consider this cache as a large, regular or even small, since the majority of the swag inside is not intended to be removed therefore room for new swag is at a minimum,

thoughts? need a picture?

so essentially my question is, do you label your cache size based on actual container size, or actual amount of space for swag?

so wait, this is not thoroughly defined in the guidelines?

oh snap!

p.s. starbrand whats a charter member?

i find it odd you have like 14,300ish posts in the forum but your not a premium member, but it says you are a charter member what does that mean?

Edited by ashnikes

oh snap!

i find it odd you have like 14,300ish posts in the forum but your not a premium member, but it says you are a charter member what does that mean?

Charter members are those that have continously paid for a premium membership since the first year they were first offered. I paid for one on the first day they were offered.

There has been some debate on the meaning of the guidelines when it comes to size. Some feel it is the overall size of the object you are seeking. Some feel it is the hollow interior where the log/swag is at. The guidelines do not make it clear. It is an argument about whether the size is intended to aid in search technique or whether it is listed to tell you what size swag it can hold. Or some combination thereof.

oh snap!

oh snap! It is defined in the dropdown on cache submission page.

Think of it this way. Some people hunt for swag. Some people hunt for the find. People who hunt for swag are going to want to know how much swag is in the container. People who hunt for find could care less about swag so it has no bearing.

So you set the size for how much swag you can fit, so the seekers know how much room for trade items there is.

Now you could say the size could help some one find the cache. But there is so much variety to the container, so you still wouldn't completely know what you were looking for. That's why a lot of people will put the type of container on the cache page. Example: Cache is in a regular size lock & lock." or "Cache is a 30 cal ammo box." In your case I would say, "Cache is a regular sized lock & lock inside of a 5 gallon bucket full of rocks."

Then it would be clear that the cache is regular size, and they would be looking for a 5 gal bucket to look inside of.

hahahaa i think the phrase "oh snap!" is the most ridiculous catchphrase ever invented, which is why it works perfectly in an internet forum, cause i bet most f you who read it said it out loud, in some weird imitation white rapper voice.

and as for describing the container, and its available space to hold swag in the description... thats a good idea, although im sure some people would complain i made it too easy by doing so with a "spoiler"

double double post
Don't hit refresh when you time out. Just go back into the forum. Refreshing is what causes multiple posts.

ill try to remember that in the future.

in the meantime you could just give me site moderator status so i can delete my multiple posts wink wink nudge nudge

hahahaa i think the phrase "oh snap!" is the most ridiculous catchphrase ever invented, which is why it works perfectly in an internet forum, cause i bet most f you who read it said it out loud, in some weird imitation white rapper voice.

and as for describing the container, and its available space to hold swag in the description... thats a good idea, although im sure some people would complain i made it too easy by doing so with a "spoiler"

Don't worry about people complaining about it being a spoiler. Caches are meant to be found! I would put as much info as you think is best. Unfortunately you can't please them all. Some will complain about a spoiler, but if you don't put enough info they'll complain about there not being enough info.

Just do what you think is best.

double double post
Don't hit refresh when you time out. Just go back into the forum. Refreshing is what causes multiple posts.

ill try to remember that in the future.

in the meantime you could just give me site moderator status so i can delete my multiple posts wink wink nudge nudge

Sure, no problem. Done. You are now a moderator.
So... im working on an underwater cache, which will essentially be a large container, filled halfway with rocks (to help it sink) and a second waterproof container inside of it for swag items, which is half the size,

I can see the logs now, took pretty rocks, left trash. :P

Edited by wimseyguy

I can see the logs now, took pretty rocks, left trash. :D

Or "Took container filled with stuff, left business card" :P

Actually a much debated topic over the years. The way I look at it is the container size is what I am looking for. In your description it sounds like a searcher would be looking for a large container. An argument can be made that it is all about the container the log is in. But in that case wouldn't all those ammo cans with a log in a ziploc be classified as micros? Seems like "other" may actually be the right choice.

And no, I didn't read that out loud. I did think to myself "my God. Does anyone actually say that?"

filled halfway with rocks (to help it sink)
FWIW, you have to fill a container about half full of concrete to get it to sink. If you're using rocks, then you'll need to fill the container more than half full because there will be air space between the rocks.
filled halfway with rocks (to help it sink)
FWIW, you have to fill a container about half full of concrete to get it to sink. If you're using rocks, then you'll need to fill the container more than half full because there will be air space between the rocks.

Use heavy rocks. :P

Gold works well!

... and DON'T concrete it in, as it makes removal tough. I'll have to put my rock hammer and chisel into my TOTT pack.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee