Smart Phone Logs

Interesting thread!

My DH cached with me right from the beginning, but it took a while for him to get into it enough to get a membership--he immediately got a Premium so that he could get PQ's, and he downloaded CacheBerry to his smartphone.

We have very different logging styles. While I'm signing the physical log in the field, he's logging the find online with his smartphone. His logs do not include the advertising line mentioned above, but they are always very short; he usually puts, "Found with Quossum. TFTC." If he puts anything additional, like "Good camo!" or "Evil!" that should be taken as high praise indeed! :laughing: Why does he log in the field? Not to be a show-off or anything like that; he's a nice and unassuming guy. He just likes the closure. It's doubtful he'd go back online once we got home and look up caches *again*--they're found already, for heaven's sake!

I, on the other hand, usually write extensive logs. I always include pictures; if you investigators look at my finds you will see that. (Okay, the one I made earlier today doesn't have a picture yet; it will when I download!). Even the briefest has at least a few sentences, and the longest have several paragraphs; perhaps TOO much! :( I take quick notes on paper in the field, then sit down back at home and write at my leisure, in Word, proofreading and editing before I make the acutal log. But then, I enjoy writing. I forgive my husband his short logs because I make up for them. :D

My dad's not really interested in logging his finds on line at all, or even in the logbook. He's probably made 50 or more finds between caching with me and my sisters, but I've just recently gotten him to make an account, and I don't know if he'll ever log much. He's fine with just finding the cache.

Different strokes.

--Q

Sorry, but there are many amongst us who find a "found with Quossom, TFTC" log to be rude. Especially if it's not a film canister in a store parking lot.

There were no such "different strokes" a few years ago. :)

EDIT: I'll take that back, somewhat. If you are typing long descriptive logs, and they'e just typing "found with XYZ, TFTC", that's not so bad, as say two people typing "found with XYZ, TFTC", and the other typing "found with ZYX, TFTC".

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Sorry, but there are many amongst us who find a "found with Quossom, TFTC" log to be rude. Especially if it's not a film canister in a store parking lot.

There were no such "different strokes" a few years ago. :D

Oh, c'mon, don't my paragraphs and photos make up for it? Photos, man! :laughing:

Well, I don't want anyone thinking us rude, so I'll work on him, but no promises. Hey, at least it's not "." or "na," for heaven's sake!

However, if the cache *is* a film canister in a parking lot, he's got your leave on the short log, right? :(

Seriously, though, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all, but am genuinely curious: If he's disinclined to leave a longer log, should I encourage him not to leave at log at all? What would be the minimum I could counsel him to to put so that people wouldn't consider him "rude"? Trust me that there's no intention of rudeness meant, and, as reletively new cachers, we want to develop good habits and do not want to be thought of that way.

--Q

P.S. Just noticed your edit...thanks. But I will work on him!

Edited by Quossum

Seriously, though, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all, but am genuinely curious: If he's disinclined to leave a longer log, should I encourage him not to leave at log at all? What would be the minimum I could counsel him to to put so that people wouldn't consider him "rude"? Trust me that there's no intention of rudeness meant, and, as reletively new cachers, we want to develop good habits and do not want to be thought of that way.

Although sometimes it doesn't feel like it, it is better to get a TFTC than nothing. At least I, as the CO, knows the cache is still there and findable.

So here's my question: Do you think that logging in the field neccessarily makes for worse logs, or could logging a find as soon as you find it actually make them better? And if its not the smart phones themselves, why do they get blames so much?

I have only been caching for a few weeks, but figured I would put in my opinion anyhow, as I am one of those noobs who have left some short logs.

I started with the iPhone app and honestly hate typing on the thing. Therefore, I left short logs and the occasional TFTC. If you read the intro page on the website and the acronym list, TFTC is simply listed as shorthand for something that sounds polite. In fact, I would wager that most new cachers have no idea that some COs don't like the TFTC log and that it might have negative connotations. I didn't realize his until I was reading the forums.

I eventually decided to simply record a log later after I have returned home because I can spend more time on the logs. I made this change because there were some logs that were so fun to find that I wanted to say more and to be sure to thank the CO.

With this said, I will occasionally still leave the TFTC. I log this when I have found a half dozen micros in a row, spaced every .1 miles apart down a straight stretch of road. What else am I supposed to say? :laughing:

I cache only with an iPhone, since it's all I have.

I do try to leave longer logs if there's something memorable about the cache that I can leave. If it has a pretty view, or was particularly hard to find... or if something happened while I was caching, I'll post it.

But if I literally just followed my GPS the whole way there, looked straight at the cache, had nothing I felt was worth trading for something in the cache, (or if it was a micro,) I can't really post more than "thanks for the cache, signed log." Since....all I did was find the cache, and sign the log.

Wouldn't be any different if I waited until I was back home to do everything.

Man, some mean people on this forum.

Sorry that your feelings have been hurt by people pointing out that your logging style is rude. Now you know how the cache owners who received your logs felt.

If I start getting too many boilerplate smartphone logs on my caches with only "TFTC" added by the cacher, I will archive the caches. I don't put out caches for rude people.

Sorry that your feelings have been hurt by people pointing out that your logging style is rude. Now you know how the cache owners who received your logs felt.

If I start getting too many boilerplate smartphone logs on my caches with only "TFTC" added by the cacher, I will archive the caches. I don't put out caches for rude people.

Thanks for making my point. How many of my logs did you read anyway, just curious?

I cache only with an iPhone, since it's all I have.

I do try to leave longer logs if there's something memorable about the cache that I can leave. If it has a pretty view, or was particularly hard to find... or if something happened while I was caching, I'll post it.

But if I literally just followed my GPS the whole way there, looked straight at the cache, had nothing I felt was worth trading for something in the cache, (or if it was a micro,) I can't really post more than "thanks for the cache, signed log." Since....all I did was find the cache, and sign the log.

Wouldn't be any different if I waited until I was back home to do everything.

I personally reserve TFTC only logs for caches that are so underwhelming that there is absolutely nothing else I could possibly say about that. But I try to screen those caches out in the first place. I've had many caches where I followed the GPS all the way somewhere and bam there's the cache. But I can usually write a little more about find when I take a moment to enjoy the surroundings. I also make an effort to caches in interesting surroundings at least. Sometimes the surroundings just aren't that interesting but that's reality.

I don't necessarily leave paragraphs though.

I have logged from my phone but it's not thing. I know it is some people's thing which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. I can empathize with the CO's that don't want their logs filled with advertisements in the form of those tag lines for anyone's phone. I find it obnoxious in e-mail, I can't imagine seeing free advertising for various phones in cache logs on a cache I own. And that's all it is is free advertising. It's not endearing or cute. I don't think the people posting such logs are inherently selfish. I do think that people who tag stuff like that don't understand that not everyone for one cares about their phone or really wants to scroll through the free advertising for said phone. It's like me typing "logged from my whatever computer" at the end of every single cache. Can you imagine of all people did that? It would soon become obnoxious.

Thanks for making my point. How many of my logs did you read anyway, just curious?

The problem is that you apparently misread KnowsChad's original post. He said when someone posted nothing but the "I logged this with xxx", not anytime anyone at all post a log with "I logged this with xxx" in it at all.

Therefore, if you are posting logs with actual content and just happen to leave the "I logged this with xxx" at the bottom, then he was not referring to you.

Put another way, it is rude for some to post nothing in their found log. Because essentially, if the log contains nothing but the "I logged this with xxx", then that means that the logger added nothing of their own to the post.

"Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble. TFTC"

What annoys me about these logs is that I'm forced to read an advertisement if I want to read the actual content of the log - if any. In this example, it's an utter waste of time.

And even though I don't know what a Trimble is, I know I don't want one.

As a paperless cacher (not a CO), this annoys me in 2 ways:

#1 - Quit showing off. I really don't care what kind of gadget you're using while you're out on a hike instead of watching the birds & animals. You're advertising - but Trimble isn't paying you for the service (maybe a good thing, now I know what devices/software to avoid so I don't have to self-edit to remove this line).

#2 - Every one of these wastes 63 characters of the space I have for storing cache data in my paperless device, not to mention the screen space and added scrolling.

Edited by dakboy

Before I got my iPhone, I had difficulty remembering to write logs. Remembering which caches I'd found or finding the time in front of a computer (I'd rather be outside in my free time, that's why I geocache!) I'm in front of computers all day at work, I'm sick of them. I don't even have a computer at home anymore, since my power supply died a few months ago.

I'd periodically be 30-40 logs behind for months, catch up during a day of massive log writing, only to fall behind again in another week. I feel guilty not writing sufficiently long logs so when I didn't have a long stretch of time I'd put it off, more finds would accumulate, and the task would seem larger and more daunting, and eventually by the time I decided I needed to catch up, I'd forgotten all of the interesting things I wanted to say and ended up leaving a more generic log anyway. When I'm making plans, I still come across caches I know I found but I never logged (I can easily tell b/c my boyfriends logs will include the line "found with thirstymick").

My iPhone changed this, now I can log the cache when I find it, there's no need to figure out later which ones I found because the app will tell me which one I'm standing on top of, and I remember details because I'm still there! Looking at a couple of my finds that I logged with the phone, my logs might be a little shorter than they would have been if I were responsible about logging my finds with a keyboard, but they don't seem any shorter than the vast majority of other peoples logs on the same caches. Outstanding caches or ones with particularly interesting stories will get noted and logged at a computer (sometimes a cache I didn't even find needs two logs), usually these are the ones I don't forget to log, stories I can't wait to tell. If I accidentally find an uninteresting parking lot hide, it'll get a "TFTC" whether I use the app or a computer.

For actual navigating, the official GC app drains the battery so fast and is so inaccurate & frustrating, i usually use my colorado to locate & the app to log (other location apps seem to be worlds better at updating my location as I move), although when I don't have a plan, the app can be great for coming up with one. The only time my logs mention the iPhone are when it's part of the story.. if I'm using it to navigate and getting frustrated or when it's a spontaneous find that I wouldn't have known about if not for the phone. All in all, I think the phone and the app have improved my logging, but that's just me.

Before I got my iPhone, I had difficulty remembering to write logs. Remembering which caches I'd found or finding the time in front of a computer (I'd rather be outside in my free time, that's why I geocache!) I'm in front of computers all day at work, I'm sick of them. I don't even have a computer at home anymore, since my power supply died a few months ago.

I'd periodically be 30-40 logs behind for months, catch up during a day of massive log writing, only to fall behind again in another week. I feel guilty not writing sufficiently long logs so when I didn't have a long stretch of time I'd put it off, more finds would accumulate, and the task would seem larger and more daunting, and eventually by the time I decided I needed to catch up, I'd forgotten all of the interesting things I wanted to say and ended up leaving a more generic log anyway. When I'm making plans, I still come across caches I know I found but I never logged (I can easily tell b/c my boyfriends logs will include the line "found with thirstymick").

My iPhone changed this, now I can log the cache when I find it, there's no need to figure out later which ones I found because the app will tell me which one I'm standing on top of, and I remember details because I'm still there! Looking at a couple of my finds that I logged with the phone, my logs might be a little shorter than they would have been if I were responsible about logging my finds with a keyboard, but they don't seem any shorter than the vast majority of other peoples logs on the same caches. Outstanding caches or ones with particularly interesting stories will get noted and logged at a computer (sometimes a cache I didn't even find needs two logs), usually these are the ones I don't forget to log, stories I can't wait to tell. If I accidentally find an uninteresting parking lot hide, it'll get a "TFTC" whether I use the app or a computer.

For actual navigating, the official GC app drains the battery so fast and is so inaccurate & frustrating, i usually use my colorado to locate & the app to log (other location apps seem to be worlds better at updating my location as I move), although when I don't have a plan, the app can be great for coming up with one. The only time my logs mention the iPhone are when it's part of the story.. if I'm using it to navigate and getting frustrated or when it's a spontaneous find that I wouldn't have known about if not for the phone. All in all, I think the phone and the app have improved my logging, but that's just me.

Sounds like a bad infomercial

Just attempting to explain the perspective of someone who likes being able to post a log from the field. Sorry if you've got a problem with people who happen to have a different kind of phone than you, and happen to like it.

I guess I forgot the smiley. Sorry, I was jokeing (hence the rediculous term "techno-peasant"). Most people say the same thing about the tiny screen and keyboard. Personaly, I love my Windows mobile phone. I use it for browsing internet and e-mail a ton and love all the freeware apps available. Oh ya, and geocaching. What type of phone do you have? Have you ever tried it for geocaching?

well in Urban Dictionary nothing is ridiculous :(

anyways, i have an LG Xenon, won't work for geocaching but i wouldn't want to use it for that anyway

here comes another "techno-peasant" statement :) ...i do prefer to have a dedicated item for each purpose :laughing:

i really don't like those things that have a zillion features built in, because they will never perform as a standalone...you know, the same as a 2-in-1 shampoo, it will never be as good as separate shampoo and conditioner :D

Edited by t4e

... snip...

:laughing: You're right, it does!!!

Just attempting to explain the perspective of someone who likes being able to post a log from the field. Sorry if you've got a problem with people who happen to have a different kind of phone than you, and happen to like it.

Hey hey hey...easy, there. He was just having fun with your writing style, not with what you said. I got a kick out of it, too. Sounded like "Before I got MY Lifeline..."

Besides, not one poster here has issues with people writing good logs from an iPhone or whatever device they chose to use. The issue is whether or not the apps and the devices tend to lead toward short, lame logs. In many cases, it would appear that they do. In your case, apparently not.

?? Does the iPhone automatically add a line to a log?

I was logging from the field, at first, just to save time. But lately I have been dipping my geocoin, so I do it from home. I read here that owner's like stories in their logs, so I have been trying to be more entertaining and descriptive.

I like the iPhone, but then I have nothing to compare it to....and no idea if the phone app leaves a tagline. If it does, I would rather see it gone--but that is just me.

Hey hey hey...easy, there. He was just having fun with your writing style, not with what you said. I got a kick out of it, too. Sounded like "Before I got MY Lifeline..."

Besides, not one poster here has issues with people writing good logs from an iPhone or whatever device they chose to use. The issue is whether or not the apps and the devices tend to lead toward short, lame logs. In many cases, it would appear that they do. In your case, apparently not.

didn't mean to sound like an infomercial :P just the way I write I guess, I get rambly.

I figured his comment was about the content based on previous posts that were somewhat hostile toward iphone users.

Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble

Are you sick of it yet?

As a cache owner, that tells me several things:

The Geocache Navigator programmers think more of themselves and their app than they do of the cache.

The Triblle company think more of themselves and their hardware than they do of the cache.

The cacher thinks more of them self than they do of the cache.

I could add to that list, but I'll leave it right there.

As a cache owner...this tells me several things as well..

-The cacher is out having way more fun than I am...

-The cacher is (most likely) enjoying his/her time outside...

-My caches are (most likely) being found as I had wanted...

-I need to get out more and go find some caches...

?? Does the iPhone automatically add a line to a log?

I was logging from the field, at first, just to save time. But lately I have been dipping my geocoin, so I do it from home. I read here that owner's like stories in their logs, so I have been trying to be more entertaining and descriptive.

I like the iPhone, but then I have nothing to compare it to....and no idea if the phone app leaves a tagline. If it does, I would rather see it gone--but that is just me.

My iPhone doesn't add a line to a log. Maybe it depends on what app you use.

"Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble. TFTC"

What annoys me about these logs is that I'm forced to read an advertisement if I want to read the actual content of the log - if any. In this example, it's an utter waste of time.

And even though I don't know what a Trimble is, I know I don't want one.

From their website:

Trimble provides positioning solutions enabling professionals in engineering and construction, surveying, agriculture, fleet management and field service to be more productive by revolutionizing their work processes.

Trimble is transforming the way work is done through the application of innovative positioning. Trimble uses GPS, lasers, optical, and inertial technologies, as well as wireless communications and application specific software to provide complete solutions that link positioning to productivity.

Fair enough. Just came off sounding funny, like the a bad infomercial.

"before I started selling Amway I lived in a cardboard box, I had to dumpster dive for food. Now That I sell Amway, I travel the world, have a BMW M5, and live in a mansion."

PS. My insult about the iPhone was directed at a certain person who thought I must be jealous of his iPhone, and a lot of other similar fanboy types, not every iPhone user. I have a few friends with iPhones.

...Just attempting to explain the perspective of someone who likes being able to post a log from the field. ...

I totally get where you're coming from (humorous writing style or no! :P ) If my dear hubby didn't log from the field, he probably wouldn't log at all. Certainly he has no intention of going back and logging the finds he and I made together but before he got a membership.

Still, point taken from the more experienced that short logs are considered rude. I'd still like some examples of "short but sufficient" logs so that I can get an idea of what to counsel my husband to do. He's an old dog, but I think he's got some new tricks in him. :D

--Q

I'd still like some examples of "short but sufficient" logs so that I can get an idea of what to counsel my husband to do.

Anything that makes it clear you actually remember the specific cache is good, IMO. So something like "Nice hike but I slid down the last 40 feet" is perfectly fine. The log doesn't need to heap praises on the cache owner;it just needs to share a little of your experience finding it.

In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), if you can't remember anything about the hide then why bother logging it online?

I'd still like some examples of "short but sufficient" logs so that I can get an idea of what to counsel my husband to do.

Anything that makes it clear you actually remember the specific cache is good, IMO. So something like "Nice hike but I slid down the last 40 feet" is perfectly fine. The log doesn't need to heap praises on the cache owner;it just needs to share a little of your experience finding it.

In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), if you can't remember anything about the hide then why bother logging it online?

Thanks for the comment, and like I said, I'll work on improving my husband's logs. I'll tell him to just leave off the "Found with Quossum," and with that same number of letters plus a few more, say something a little more cache-specific about our experience. He's teachable. And he has done that with some logs, just not every one of them. :huh:

As for why bother to log uninteresting hides...well, even if it's not memorable, one *did* find it and it seems a shame not to at least note it. Also giving it a "Found" status removes it from subsequent searches.

At this point even LPCs get a several-sentence log and a photo from me, but, yeah, the caches with cool surroundings and a story to them are much better.

--Q