Smart Phone Logs

Ive noticed a lot of angst in the forums over people using smartphones as their GPSR. Now I understand that perhaps they arent as accurate and as such may not be ideal for hiding, but what I dont get is why people blame them for lame/ short logs.

I use the iPhone's Groundspeak App for all of my finds and logs and I dont feel like my logs are any worse than anything else I've seen, though its true I rarely write a lengthy poem or story. In fact, because it allows me to log in the field (usually when I make it back to the car) the find is still fresh so I never post a "Dont really remember this cache" log when I get home.

So here's my question: Do you think that logging in the field neccessarily makes for worse logs, or could logging a find as soon as you find it actually make them better? And if its not the smart phones themselves, why do they get blames so much?

(Ive got an idea but I want to see what you guys think)

I think the problem arises from the fact that some of the software seems to have a generic TFTC log built in and some cacher's are using that and forgoing entering their own personal log.

I don't think there's anything intentional about it. Some people just don't look further than what is presented to them.

When I use my phone I use the phone just to log the find, and come bak home to write about it. Maybe I'm still excited by the few finds I have, and that encourages me to write about it. I'm not so enthusiastic that I log scores in a day, only to forget about them on my return.

i use a BlackBerry 9630 with Geocache Navigator by Trimble. It's set to leave a Field Note when i hit Mark As Found.

Then i can log into geocaching.com via Bolt browser (or PC, but i don't have one) and then turn those Field Notes into logs, and upload pics.

This works out great! My Field Notes have the time/date and a Found With GN tag and that is all.

This way i can write a longer, descriptive log when i'm someone cooler and bug free. i also use my BlackBerry Voice Recorder to make notes while i'm in the field so i can note any details about the cache and adventure.

Can iPhone users set their app to log Field Notes instead of Logs from their phones? Then the CO won't get alerted until the CF turns that Field Note into an acutal Log.

i also label my pics from the field right away so i don't forget which cache it goes with.

I often log from my phone at GZ. Usually one or two sentences. When a cache is good, I edit my log at home to make it more verbose.

Since the CO doesn't get a change notice, should I notify the CO when I do this?

You could do what I do when I load images after I log... post a note, then delete the note. The cache owner (and anyone watching the cache) will get your note emailed to them. I know that I, for one, would appreciate that thoughtfulness.

I often log from my phone at GZ. Usually one or two sentences. When a cache is good, I edit my log at home to make it more verbose.

Since the CO doesn't get a change notice, should I notify the CO when I do this?

You could do what I do when I load images after I log... post a note, then delete the note. The cache owner (and anyone watching the cache) will get your note emailed to them. I know that I, for one, would appreciate that thoughtfulness.

Good idea! I think that is what I will do from now on.

Can iPhone users set their app to log Field Notes instead of Logs from their phones? Then the CO won't get alerted until the CF turns that Field Note into an acutal Log.

Not in so many words. There is the option to 'Auto-post as Log', which posts whatever text is entered straight to the cache page. If this is set to off, then it logs it as a field note.

i use a BlackBerry 9630 with Geocache Navigator by Trimble. It's set to leave a Field Note when i hit Mark As Found.

As you use this software you might be able to answer a question I have had for a while:

I see a lot of logs which say "Logged from my nokia phone using Navigator by Trimble" or nearly those words.

Is this sentence automatically added by the software, can the user edit it or delete it?

Just curious.

I use GCZ - Sshhhh - and write as much in my logs on site as I would if I were writing them back at home on the PC.

I find it helps me make the log in the present tense ("Tough climb up to this one, but now it's all downhill to the next one..." for example) rather than the past tense. A bit like tweeting - what's happening now, not what happened 10 hours ago. But maybe that's just me.

I also prefer to write the logs (or field notes if there's no reception) when the cache is fresh in my mind so I can do it justice. Particularly for series when at the end of a long day, late at night, I do tend to forget which was which - which was under a rock and which in a tree. :laughing:

I only edit for spelling when I get home. Like yesterday when I found when I got home that I had been "Prickled by a horse" instead of "a Gorse [bush]" - darn predictive text, don't get that on a PC.

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

As you use this software you might be able to answer a question I have had for a while:

I see a lot of logs which say "Logged from my nokia phone using Navigator by Trimble" or nearly those words.

Is this sentence automatically added by the software, can the user edit it or delete it?

Just curious.

I use GCZ - Sshhhh - and write as much in my logs on site as I would if I were writing them back at home on the PC.

I find it helps me make the log in the present tense ("Tough climb up to this one, but now it's all downhill to the next one..." for example) rather than the past tense. A bit like tweeting - what's happening now, not what happened 10 hours ago. But maybe that's just me.

I also prefer to write the logs (or field notes if there's no reception) when the cache is fresh in my mind so I can do it justice. Particularly for series when at the end of a long day, late at night, I do tend to forget which was which - which was under a rock and which in a tree. :laughing:

I only edit for spelling when I get home. Like yesterday when I found when I got home that I had been "Prickled by a horse" instead of "a Gorse [bush]" - darn predictive text, don't get that on a PC.

GCz used to add "logged from my phone using GCz". That was removed due to concerns over Groundspeak's interpretation of the TOS (the screen scraping part). Some useres were worried that these logs may get them banned.

I personaly think the "logged from my phone" type logs are lame. No one cares that you did it from your phone. Are you trying to prove that you are more "tech" than everyone else because you know how to use your smart phone? Lame Lame Lame.

what i don't get is why do people feel compelled to log in the field?

we've done it a couple of times, one of us logged while the other drove to next cache, but it didn't last long, can't be bothered with the little screen on the phone and the tiny keyboard, when we're out we rather keep going and enjoy the outdoors and log everything when we get home with a nice glass of something to make us remember the day :laughing:

I personaly think the "logged from my phone" type logs are lame. No one cares that you did it from your phone. Are you trying to prove that you are more "tech" than everyone else because you know how to use your smart phone? Lame Lame Lame.

I agree, I don't see the point of putting it on the log, it adds nothing of any value, and worse, it creates a string of text meaning the cacher doesn't have to add anything for the log to be accepted.

That's why I was wondering if it is hard wired into the software (and hence is always going to be in every log) or if the user can edit/delete it.

I didn't know GCz used to have something similar (only been using it for 8 months). That would have annoyed me, having to delete it from every log so I could start with a blank page. Glad it's not included now.

Maybe it's just more of the instant gratification?

Maybe I'm just jealous that I don't have a smart phone?

Maybe I have a better memory than the average bear?

Over 8000 caches found, usually over a dozen on any given day, and over 50 in a day more times than I can remember. I manage to write a unique and decent log on every cache. I enjoy sitting down and replaying the caching day in my mind when I get around to posting my logs that night, or sometimes a few days later.

Occasionally I use the notes field in my 60 CSx to put a word or three that will jog my memory. Sometimes I'll post a song lyric that went with the cache, it's title, or was playing as I got out of the car. I did a 50 cache Fish themed PnG series in one day. I managed to post a silly fish joke that I copied from a website on each find. The jokes weren't original, but at least the logs were, and the CO's appreciated it.

The only time I can recall posting TFTC was when a local (who doesn't cache much anymore) went on a rant about that in the local forums. So I posted it the following week when I found one of his, and promptly edited it to a proper log just for kicks and giggles. :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy

Your question has been answered. Yes, "Logged from my BlackBerry using Geocache Navigator" is automatically added to the Field Note, and thus the Log.

i leave it because i like seeing who is using a BlackBerry to geocache. i'm a BlackBerry addict so to speak and i just think it's really neat i can cache with my BlackBerry. i'm a mod on CrackBerry.com, and that's my regular forum! So, i do like seeing when others cache with their BlackBerry.

It's nice to have your GPSr, camera, Voice Notes recorder etc all on the hunt. But, no, i don't think it makes me special or better. Ha. i just do what i like others to do (and that is to mention they're using a BlackBerry)!

Just curious.

GCz used to add "logged from my phone using GCz". That was removed due to concerns over Groundspeak's interpretation of the TOS (the screen scraping part). Some useres were worried that these logs may get them banned.

To me it's the same as talking to other cachers about what GPSr you use. Or when HAM radio folks discuss their equipment. It may be lame, i've been called that before for many things i do. Oh well. i'm leaving it! My Logs have gotten compliments, no complaints...

what i don't get is why do people feel compelled to log in the field?

I don't think I feel compelled, it's just the way I prefer to do it when I can. I usually sit on rock and spend 5 mins writing a log before going onto the next. And ok, to be honest, getting my breath back. It's kind of an excuse to take a break without admitting it's because I'm out of shape. Wonderful thing technology :laughing:

It helps pace things a bit so we're not dashing from one to the next without, as you say, taking time to enjoy the surroundings.

If I wasn't writing my log on the phone I would probably be writing a note on paper, recording TB swaps etc so I remembered when I got home and had had a glass of wine, or two :(

But there's no compulsion about it, and I don't think I have a lesser experience for doing it that way.

I'm going to duck out of this thread now as I have seen too often how if someone does things slightly differently to someone else they get slated.

I'm not saying you are doing that t4e, I don't think you are. But lots of folk seem to.

Whoops perhaps I should have left my question about trimble as just that, I think I may be in for some stick for admiting doing things my way, which is different to someone else's way :D

Also, i *do* always Log (turn Field Notes to Logs) from my BlackBerry. i don't own a computer. If the "Logged From BlackBerry .." tag offended or annoyed the CO, and if they emailed me about it, i would remove it right away. But as i said, i've had no one tell me that it's obnoxious. My logs are pretty good.

Man, some mean people on this forum.

Your question has been answered. Yes, "Logged from my BlackBerry using Geocache Navigator" is automatically added to the Field Note, and thus the Log.

i leave it because i like seeing who is using a BlackBerry to geocache. i'm a BlackBerry addict so to speak and i just think it's really neat i can cache with my BlackBerry. i'm a mod on CrackBerry.com, and that's my regular forum! So, i do like seeing when others cache with their BlackBerry.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that before - I can see how that makes sense.

And I suspect you always put additional text on your logs, not just leave the stock phrase provided by the SW as the only text in the log - which I have seen quite a lot.

When I read that statement on the bottom of a log from now on I will think differently about it and see it as Nokia or Blackberry users connecting with each other.

How long before we see the first "Logged from my Droid using..." - or is that already out there :laughing:

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

... but it didn't last long, can't be bothered with the little screen on the phone and the tiny keyboard, ...

Oh...Your are one of those...You know, Techno-Peasants.

you jumping to conclusions branding me a Techno-Peasant, the fact that i prefer using my laptop or PC at home and not waste my time fiddling with a phone doesn't necessarily mean i am technologically challenged

to me the phone has always been with me in case of emergencies, for calls or for texting but that's about it, its only recently that i got one with a data plan, and that only because its unlimited and only $3 more than i as paying for regular cell service, to me the cell is just a cell, but of course with the data plan now it makes it easier to look up something on the internet while out in the field, but not logging :laughing:

when we go away i still take my laptop

I don't think I feel compelled, it's just the way I prefer to do it when I can. I usually sit on rock and spend 5 mins writing a log before going onto the next. And ok, to be honest, getting my breath back. It's kind of an excuse to take a break without admitting it's because I'm out of shape. Wonderful thing technology :(

It helps pace things a bit so we're not dashing from one to the next without, as you say, taking time to enjoy the surroundings.

If I wasn't writing my log on the phone I would probably be writing a note on paper, recording TB swaps etc so I remembered when I got home and had had a glass of wine, or two :D

But there's no compulsion about it, and I don't think I have a lesser experience for doing it that way.

I'm going to duck out of this thread now as I have seen too often how if someone does things slightly differently to someone else they get slated.

I'm not saying you are doing that t4e, I don't think you are. But lots of folk seem to.

Whoops perhaps I should have left my question about trimble as just that, I think I may be in for some stick for admiting doing things my way, which is different to someone else's way :)

thanks for replying, sure that makes sense.....maybe my question came out the wrong way, i don't care where people log from, i was just curious why

of course we all have our preferences....same as you like to catch your breath and use that time to log your find, we prefer to just sit and enjoy the peacefulness of the place we are at, or maybe just get the heck out as fast as we can, depending on where the cache is lol

Edited by t4e

Not in so many words. There is the option to 'Auto-post as Log', which posts whatever text is entered straight to the cache page. If this is set to off, then it logs it as a field note.

That's what i meant. So, if you turn it off and it saves the text as a Field Note, you can, at the end of caching, log into geocaching.com and convert those Field Notes into Logs. That way, it won't automatically Log the preloaded text as a Log.

i like this method because i tend to forget the details of each cache but i can log a Field Note right after i've found the cache when it's fresh in my mind. But then later i can access the Field Note and expand on it. Just a thought.

I think most of the problem with short logs is an issue with the logger and not the method of logging.

I usually write a short paragraph in my online logs and at least try to give a couple sentences - something more than just "TFTC".

My friend who I often cache with has an iPhone and logs in the field and writes short logs (although usually at least a sentence.) He has commented that he is amazed at my longer logs because he usually cannot think of anything to say.

I think that his experience is probably typical.

you jumping to conclusions branding me a Techno-Peasant, the fact that i prefer using my laptop or PC at home and not waste my time fiddling with a phone doesn't necessarily mean i am technologically challenged

I guess I forgot the smiley. Sorry, I was jokeing (hence the rediculous term "techno-peasant"). Most people say the same thing about the tiny screen and keyboard. Personaly, I love my Windows mobile phone. I use it for browsing internet and e-mail a ton and love all the freeware apps available. Oh ya, and geocaching. What type of phone do you have? Have you ever tried it for geocaching?

Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble

Are you sick of it yet?

Good one, Viajero Perdido! :laughing::(:D

I thought about posting something similar, but thought better of it after reading some of the posts. Apparently I did not grasp the concept that some may like that to appear in their post -- still don't fully understand why... But, I guess I can accept that.

In truth (up until reading the responses), I thought it was merely just a 'lazy person's' way of appearing to make a short meaningless log into something that resembled a log of content, i.e.:

"Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble. TFTC"

Actually, I haven't yet fully shaken that perception, either.

Not unlike some that have their units, either a smart phone or paperless GPSr, uploading the coordinates to their log automatically of each and every cache they visit. Heck, it's sort of like telling the CO something that they already know!

Are you sick of it yet?

i think i'll make that my forum signature!

Good one, Viajero Perdido! :laughing::(:D

I thought about posting something similar, but thought better of it after reading some of the posts. Apparently I did not grasp the concept that some may like that to appear in their post -- still don't fully understand why... But, I guess I can accept that.

In truth (up until reading the responses), I thought it was merely just a 'lazy person's' way of appearing to make a short meaningless log into something that resembled a log of content, i.e.:

Actually, I haven't yet fully shaken that perception, either.

Not unlike some that have their units, either a smart phone or paperless GPSr, uploading the coordinates to their log automatically of each and every cache they visit. Heck, it's sort of like telling the CO something that they already know!

It doesn't add TFTC. It just adds "Logged from my phone..." i add TFTC. :)

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Ive noticed a lot of angst in the forums over people using smartphones as their GPSR. Now I understand that perhaps they arent as accurate and as such may not be ideal for hiding, but what I dont get is why people blame them for lame/ short logs.

I use the iPhone's Groundspeak App for all of my finds and logs and I dont feel like my logs are any worse than anything else I've seen, though its true I rarely write a lengthy poem or story. In fact, because it allows me to log in the field (usually when I make it back to the car) the find is still fresh so I never post a "Dont really remember this cache" log when I get home.

So here's my question: Do you think that logging in the field neccessarily makes for worse logs, or could logging a find as soon as you find it actually make them better? And if its not the smart phones themselves, why do they get blames so much?

(Ive got an idea but I want to see what you guys think)

Well, I think you're probably talking about me. :laughing: I've just started bringing this up about the lame new Geocacher logs within the last week or so!! And that would be because the whole thing was a mystery to myself and many others. Hundreds and hundreds of "TFTC" logs, or one or two letter logs, or odd words and phrases being used as find logs, and almost always from new cachers, and all over the U.S. and Canada. (Sorry, can't speak for the rest of the world. :() I do actually own a smart phone (a Palm), but I'm much to cheap to pay for an internet connection. And I'm not even sure there is a Geocaching app for Palm. So I'm just trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. Because believe me, there was no mass influx of new cachers typing TFTC only logs in like 2008.

Well for someone like me, who regularly sits at a computer and types 200+ word find logs for just about every cache (I generally don't do park-n-grabs that "deserve" quick logs), I would say from my personal standpoint, it's a no-brainer you can't type a log like that in the field with your thumbs. :D

What annoys me about these logs is that I'm forced to read an advertisement if I want to read the actual content of the log - if any. In this example, it's an utter waste of time.

And even though I don't know what a Trimble is, I know I don't want one.

Are you sick of it yet?

As a cache owner, that tells me several things:

The Geocache Navigator programmers think more of themselves and their app than they do of the cache.

The Triblle company think more of themselves and their hardware than they do of the cache.

The cacher thinks more of them self than they do of the cache.

I could add to that list, but I'll leave it right there.

What annoys me about these logs is that I'm forced to read an advertisement if I want to read the actual content of the log - if any. In this example, it's an utter waste of time.

And even though I don't know what a Trimble is, I know I don't want one.

i can't believe CO's really get so upset about seeing that in their log. Do they get sick of TFTC too?

Are you sick of it yet?

Wow. Harsh. With that, i am going to abandon this forum. Too mean for my taste! Thanks for everyone's help in my previous posts.

Do they get sick of TFTC too?

Yes. That's kind of the point of this and several similar threads of late.

Well, it turned into a thread bashing those that leave the "Logged from my phone..." On their Logs. Pretty petty. i make an effort to write longer descriptive logs, post pics. But get called self important because i leave the tag that's added.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
Well, it turned into a thread bashing those that leave the "Logged from my phone..." On their Logs. Pretty petty. i make an effort to write longer descriptive logs, post pics. But get called self important because i leave the tag that's added.

I wouldn't necessarily call it self important. I think the other point being made (at least by me) is that a lot of cachers using phones or net connected gps units don't realize they're doing it. Or, if they do realize it, may not know how to change it.

I find it somewhat annoying as well, but it doesn't really bother me as long as there is a real log accompanying it.

Are you sick of it yet?

Wow. Harsh. With that, i am going to abandon this forum. Too mean for my taste! Thanks for everyone's help in my previous posts.

Not being mean in the least. Just being honest. If that is all that somebody can "log" about a cache, they are being very thoughtless.

I disabled that stuff on my phone saying "logged from my phone." The phone manufacturer is not paying me for advertising for them.

That being said. I hate trying to tap out messages on my phone and would much rather come home and doing after I've had some time to reflect on the overall cache day and so forth. Some times I still have very little to say about caches. Some just aren't that impressive. I try to pick decent ones based on description but some just fall flat.

And sometimes I have a lot to say. Either way I like the extra time to get my thoughts together on the experience because when I'm there I'm in the moment.

I find it somewhat annoying as well, but it doesn't really bother me as long as there is a real log accompanying it.

My opinon as well.

I find the iPhone ones funny. I think "Sucker, you paid how much for that thing?"

Jealous much? :laughing:

:(

That is exactly the type of thing you expect from the apple fanboys, ignorant bragging. Anyway, I am compleatly not jealous. My Windows Mobile phone has a decent GPS (unlike yours), is easely charged (unlike yours), has a battery that is easely changed (unlike yours), has a killer geocaching app (unlike yours, yours is decent not killer), can multi-task (unlike yours), is available for free (with contract unlike yours (they have come down to $99 here)), I can use a bluetooth GPS with very good performance (unlike yours), my data plan is way cheeper than an iPhone's, My phone is easyly hackable (unlike yours),

Anyway sorry for going off topic...

Edited by Andronicus

I agree. I think it's kind of petty as well. I'm not really sure why it would make someone seem 'selfish.' What's selfish about posting what kind of phone you logged the cache from? I don't really understand.

My opinon as well.

I find the iPhone ones funny. I think "Sucker, you paid how much for that thing?"

That is exactly the type of thing you expect from the apple fanboys, ignorant bragging. Anyway, I am compleatly not jealous. My Windows Mobile phone has a decent GPS (unlike yours), is easely charged (unlike yours), has a battery that is easely changed (unlike yours), has a killer geocaching app (unlike yours, yours is decent not killer), can multi-task (unlike yours), is available for free (with contract unlike yours (they have come down to $99 here)), I can use a bluetooth GPS with very good performance (unlike yours), my data plan is way cheeper than an iPhone's, My phone is easyly hackable (unlike yours),

:D

I am not what you would call an "apple fanboy". In fact I never have and most likely never will own any other apple product other than the iPhone.

I only own the iPhone because it is vastly superior to any other phone on the market (IMHO(and I have owned about 30 different phones in my lifetime)).

I also do not consider myself to be ignorant nor do I consider anyone to be ignorant just because they prefer a certain brand of product.

What exactly makes the GPS in your phone superior to the iPhone's?

It takes about 30 minutes to go from 50% to 100% charge for the iPhone.

I have no need to change my battery because it lasts a lot longer than I will own the phone.

I only sign one year contracts and am given a free upgrade everytime I renew, so the newest iPhone or whatever I desire is free.(been with same company for several years and have six phones with them so this may not apply to all)

How is your app any better?

And yes, sorry also for going off topic. I just don't like to be called a "fanboy" or "ignorant".

Oh, don't leave!! I have no problem with people who leave the tag. It is kind of blatant advertising though, when you think about it.

But get called self important because i leave the tag that's added.
My post was not referring to "because i leave the tag that's added", although I'd rather see it removed. I was referring to logs that consist of only that tag.

I have only recently found out that I could remove that stupid tag. I stopped logging from my phone just because it was there.

My opinon as well.

:D

I am not what you would call an "apple fanboy". In fact I never have and most likely never will own any other apple product other than the iPhone.

I only own the iPhone because it is vastly superior to any other phone on the market (IMHO(and I have owned about 30 different phones in my lifetime)).

I also do not consider myself to be ignorant nor do I consider anyone to be ignorant just because they prefer a certain brand of product.

What exactly makes the GPS in your phone superior to the iPhone's?

It takes about 30 minutes to go from 50% to 100% charge for the iPhone.

I have no need to change my battery because it lasts a lot longer than I will own the phone.

I only sign one year contracts and am given a free upgrade everytime I renew, so the newest iPhone or whatever I desire is free.(been with same company for several years and have six phones with them so this may not apply to all)

How is your app any better?

And yes, sorry also for going off topic. I just don't like to be called a "fanboy" or "ignorant".

1) better GPS chipset. I usualy get ±3m (during benchmark tests (ie. OutForTheHunt's Brass Cap cache)

2) I mean any old dumb charger will charge my phone, don't need a smart charger; I built one out of spair parts to charge my phone using AA batteries for about $5).

3) You may wish you could change your battery when it is dead after hiking 5h into the mountains

4) That is one impressive deal you got there. Who is it with?

5) Much more user friendly, can log trackables, free, etc.

PS I didn't call you an ignorant fanboy, I called swfirefly a fanboy after he/she suggested that I was jealous (in the typical fanboy style).

Check out the thread in my link on using your phone as a back country GPS. You may see some advanteges to my phone; or maybe not.

Edited by Andronicus

Interesting thread!

My DH cached with me right from the beginning, but it took a while for him to get into it enough to get a membership--he immediately got a Premium so that he could get PQ's, and he downloaded CacheBerry to his smartphone.

We have very different logging styles. While I'm signing the physical log in the field, he's logging the find online with his smartphone. His logs do not include the advertising line mentioned above, but they are always very short; he usually puts, "Found with Quossum. TFTC." If he puts anything additional, like "Good camo!" or "Evil!" that should be taken as high praise indeed! :laughing: Why does he log in the field? Not to be a show-off or anything like that; he's a nice and unassuming guy. He just likes the closure. It's doubtful he'd go back online once we got home and look up caches *again*--they're found already, for heaven's sake!

I, on the other hand, usually write extensive logs. I always include pictures; if you investigators look at my finds you will see that. (Okay, the one I made earlier today doesn't have a picture yet; it will when I download!). Even the briefest has at least a few sentences, and the longest have several paragraphs; perhaps TOO much! :( I take quick notes on paper in the field, then sit down back at home and write at my leisure, in Word, proofreading and editing before I make the acutal log. But then, I enjoy writing. I forgive my husband his short logs because I make up for them. :D

My dad's not really interested in logging his finds on line at all, or even in the logbook. He's probably made 50 or more finds between caching with me and my sisters, but I've just recently gotten him to make an account, and I don't know if he'll ever log much. He's fine with just finding the cache.

Different strokes.

--Q