Groundspeak Store item idea

Hi All,

I sent this via the "suggestion box" in the Groundspeak Store, but wanted to see what others thought of this....

I’m not sure if this idea has ever been mentioned (I’m sure it has).

I recently got my first jeep wrangler and instantly thought that a Geocaching tire cover would be a GREAT idea!!

I know jeeps and SUV vehicles with a spare tire on the back are pretty popular among cachers and I think this would be a GREAT item to sell. I think it would look pretty cool to see a vehicle on the road with a big ole Geocaching symbol looking back at me on the spare tire 

I recently bought a TB sticker for my jeep to go along with my personalized “I CACHE” license plates ;)

Would anybody besides me buy one?

Edited by The Weasel

I like the idea - but there are lots of tire sizes out there......

I think you could make them to fit a bigger size and either have a draw string or heavy duty elastic to stretch out to fit a bigger size tire. I figure they do a basic "one size fit all" for other tire covers, that this should be fairly easy to market and come up with.

It is interesting that you brought this up today. Just yesterday I was thinking about the same thing.

With a little bit of searching I found the following thread from a couple years back. It has some good ideas and a couple good links in it.

(link didn't work, deleted it.)

I have a sister-in-law that does paintings and is very good at it. I'm going to see if she will paint one for me.

Edited to say that link doesn't work. you can just do a Google search for "geocaching tire covers" and it will bring that thread up.

Edited by uxorious

It is interesting that you brought this up today. Just yesterday I was thinking about the same thing.

With a little bit of searching I found the following thread from a couple years back. It has some good ideas and a couple good links in it.

Geocaching tire covers

I have a sister-in-law that does paintings and is very good at it. I'm going to see if she will paint one for me.

Hmm, I can't get your link to work. If a person was to design there own, wouldn't their be a copyright issue with the logo?

I still think it would be a very easy thing for GS to market and depending on the price, a very hot seller!

Geocaching tire covers

Hmm, I can't get your link to work. If a person was to design there own, wouldn't their be a copyright issue with the logo?

I still think it would be a very easy thing for GS to market and depending on the price, a very hot seller!

Odd... it works for me from my posting, but it doesn't work for me from the piece that you quoted.

In any case, here's where I linked to: http://www.sparetirecovers.com/index.html

(there may be other places that offer a similar service. This is just the first one that I found)

Geocaching tire covers

Odd... it works for me from my posting, but it doesn't work for me from the piece that you quoted.

In any case, here's where I linked to: http://www.sparetirecovers.com/index.html

(there may be other places that offer a similar service. This is just the first one that I found)

Cool, thanks for the link. I will do some more looking around. That website looked like they were only selling the hard shell covers maybe. Hopefully GS will see that there is an interest in this and offer these soon ;)

Just heard from Annie at GS on this. This is some promissing news!!

Thank you for your suggestion! That's a great idea! We're always looking for good new ideas, so we appreciate hearing from the caching community directly. I'll pass this on to our product development team for you.

Thanks again and happy caching!

Best Regards,

Annie

I think having an option to have it trackable is a GREAT idea. I have the TB sticker on my jeep, but I totally understand somebody not wanting to put a sticker on their vehicl;e. This would be a great way to get past that. Plus, the sticker TB is small, so driving down the road and trying to get a TB off a tire cover would be a lot easier!! Either wy, a easy money maker for GS!

You mean they haven't outlawed SUVs yet in Californistan?

No they havent. I think they might be soon though. I mean thy outlawed smoking almost everywhere in the city I live in. I am not even allowed by law to smoke on the balcony of my apartment. I think the way the law is written is that I have to smoke in a sealed room with particulate filtration for the air, 1 million miles below the surface of the Earth.

I think having an option to have it trackable is a GREAT idea. I have the TB sticker on my jeep, but I totally understand somebody not wanting to put a sticker on their vehicl;e. This would be a great way to get past that. Plus, the sticker TB is small, so driving down the road and trying to get a TB off a tire cover would be a lot easier!! Either wy, a easy money maker for GS!

All this said from someone who has an acronym on his license plates that explains it all. :laughing:

I don't mean I CACHE.....

I mean..... Idiots Out Wandering Around. :D:(:)

I had them same plates on my truck some years back. :D

I think you had a great idea to do a trackable tire cover. Now if I can just get the Fiancee to let me buy an SUV with a rear spare. Hmmmmmmm

You mean they haven't outlawed SUVs yet in Californistan?

Outlawed? Having lived in California for 40 years (as a 5th generation native) I assumed that they were mandatory. Okay, I'm kidding. They're only mandatory if you live in New Jersey.

All this said from someone who has an acronym on his license plates that explains it all. :laughing:

I don't mean I CACHE.....

I mean..... Idiots Out Wandering Around. :D:(:)

I had them same plates on my truck some years back. :D

Yup, I DO wander around quiet a bit B)

363778e7-3ead-4dee-8bd3-603d5b9aa4d5.jpg