micro or nano cache?

I have a small park I wanted to hide a cache in and my original idea of a small lock and lock is not looking so good (they built the darn gazibo to well to hide anything! Its just to solid and has no hidy holes....) so I think I may try a micro or such. I've never done one and only found a few so my question is: do they have to be visible in some way? can a cache be hidden out of sight and only found by touch? Is there a height limit? I'm a tall person so I'm always wondering if I hide something where I can reach by tip toe that maybe most cachers will not be able to reach... (so if it was high, out of eyesight and they can't run their fingers over the area they can't find it at all...)

Ideas?

not helpful at all.... ;)

Let me clarify: HOW HIGH is TOO high to place a cache?

hehe... post title indicates a different line of thinking for me...

how high is too high...

nothing is too high, BUT if you expect people to do it without a ladder or risking a broken bone, then keep flatfooted and arm's length (not an outstretched arm either).

found one last week that was for the vertically challenged. the problem was, i'm not sure there are any people in this town who are 7 ft. tall. the placer of the cache must have brought out a step stool. it was a good 2 feet taller than my outstretched self (average height).

I'd rather that a cache be placed out of sight than out of reach.

But then I'm only 5' tall and climbing challenged.

I keep a list of caches that I need an unwilling assistant for (too high to reach, climbs I'm not comfortable doing). Come the day I find someone taller and more agile than me, I'll get them cleared off the list.

Remember though that nanos don't have to be placed out of sight to be 'invisible'. Some of the best hides I've ever found were nano's placed where nothing else would work and they were in plain sight once one looked in the right place.

When every one asks, "do you want people to find it" that is very valid. Some people place micros to be really hard to find. I don't understand why people do this. A cache should only be really hard for a muggle to find. Now if you are just trying to make it challenging, that is fine. As was mentioned, marking the correct terrain level will be fine.

There are many tricks you can do to hide it right out in the open. If there is any flat metal, you can do a electrical plate hide. If there is any bolt or threaded rod poking out, you can use a bolt hide cache. You can do a fake sprinkler head right out side the gazebo. Fake rock. Just look through the CCC thread. Plenty of idea's there.

Just remember this. If you hide it in an evil way, and you want people to actually enjoy finding it, you might want to put a clear hint in.

How high is too high?

If you hide it on the gazebo, will people shorter than you be tempted to climb up on the railing? I've searched gazebos that are pretty solid, and others that have flimsy railings that won't take the weight. But I'm tall myself, so I can jump up and pull myself up from the rafters. You don't want folks breaking anything trying to reach the high places.

My personal opinion is a NANO can be hidden in plain site with little fear of muggling. Just place it so the muggles won't accidently touch and dislodge it.

I've never done one and only found a few so my question is: do they have to be visible in some way?

No.

can a cache be hidden out of sight and only found by touch?

Yes

Is there a height limit?

No

I'm a tall person so I'm always wondering if I hide something where I can reach by tip toe that maybe most cachers will not be able to reach... (so if it was high, out of eyesight and they can't run their fingers over the area they can't find it at all...)

Just make sure the terrain rating indicates that it may require some climbing or ingenuity to get to. Be aware, however, that some will try climbing, and if that will damage the structure, you may want to think twice about that style of hide.

so I think I may try a micro or such. I've never done one and only found a few so my question is: do they have to be visible in some way? can a cache be hidden out of sight and only found by touch? Is there a height limit? I'm a tall person so I'm always wondering if I hide something where I can reach by tip toe that maybe most cachers will not be able to reach... (so if it was high, out of eyesight and they can't run their fingers over the area they can't find it at all...)

Ideas?

Hi there... "have to be visible in some way?" I think it depends on the difficulty... easier ones should have a direct sightline... harder, an indirect sightline... hardest... the sky's the limit on how to find...

So just like the terrain rating, make a honest rating of the difficulty... I look after one cache that is (right now) a small micro... well concealed, with one direct sightline (when placed as intended)... you just have to find the line... no heroics required, I've done it from a chair, but not a wheelchair yet. don't have one! But it is close to that terrain rating of 1, maybe a little one the plus side. Once you know where it is, not hard at all. Newbies tend to find it better than old hands, perhaps due to being a bit open minded about the process.

Anyway, good luck, and keep defending Halton's 'wilderness parks', I used to spend a lot of time out there prior to moving out here to BC.

Doug 7rxc

I've never done one and only found a few so my question is: do they have to be visible in some way?

No.

can a cache be hidden out of sight and only found by touch?

Yes

Is there a height limit?

No

I'm a tall person so I'm always wondering if I hide something where I can reach by tip toe that maybe most cachers will not be able to reach... (so if it was high, out of eyesight and they can't run their fingers over the area they can't find it at all...)

Just make sure the terrain rating indicates that it may require some climbing or ingenuity to get to. Be aware, however, that some will try climbing, and if that will damage the structure, you may want to think twice about that style of hide.

+1, and keep in mind that smart cachers will poke into unseen areas with a stick to avoid getting bitten or stung by critters who might be hiding there. ;)

I saw a gazebo hide that was placed up high. It had a higher terrain, so you know climbing is needed. Unfortunately, I'm sure when it was placed, the railing was strong and durable and worked well for its purpose, decoration and keeping people from falling out while inside, but having after hundreds of people climb up onto it, the railings were all lose and wiggly, not very safe to stand on, but people still do.

Also keep in mind along with the railings of the gazebo being broken and damaged that any decorative plant life around the gazebo might get smooshed as well by people trying to find a tiny little thing.

The park ones I've found have avoided the gazebo altogether and instead went into nearby trees. Allowed for a little bigger cache, less concern about accidental finding etc.

Thanks for the replies. Knowschads especially.

I don't think I want people climbing on the gazibo, the local park hawks would get upset. I'll take a closer look at the area and see what other hides I can find. When the gazibo first when up I thought it would be a great spot but upon investigation they built it really really solid so there are very few options for hides (no bolts, no nooks, nothing, except one spot that would be quite high).

I don't want it to be too hard but somewhere in the middle of the road. Little challenge but still findable and fun.

If it does turn out to be a micro I would label it as such in the sized on the cache page. (I don't like it when that's blank).

I don't think I want people climbing on the gazibo, the local park hawks would get upset. I'll take a closer look at the area and see what other hides I can find. When the gazibo first when up I thought it would be a great spot but upon investigation they built it really really solid so there are very few options for hides (no bolts, no nooks, nothing, except one spot that would be quite high).

I don't want it to be too hard but somewhere in the middle of the road. Little challenge but still findable and fun.

You could always put a fake rock right beside the Gazebo.

Keep in mind that if the gazebo is the 'interesting thing' that you are trying to attract cachers to the cache doesn't need to be on or particularly near the gazebo. Anywhere within sight of it will do. Just mention in the listing something like "Once you find the cache rest a while and enjoy the view from the nearby place of leisure". That opens up a lot of territory for the hide while still attracting cachers to the gazebo. Territory where you might, for instance, hide a nicely stocked ammo can! :o

Find a piece of lumber that somewhat matches the gazebo's wood. Use a 1" Paddle Bit and drill a hole in your piece of wood (NOT the gazebo!) and glue in a film can. There is usually a ledge where the gazebo walls meet the roof. Just set your piece of wood on that ledge. No need to attach it. It will look like it belongs there. Vertically challenged folk may have to stand on the bench. I wouldn't put it so high that they have to stand on a rail.

This will work equally well outside the gazebo just lying on the ground beside its foundation.

Alternately use a 1" inside diameter PVC pipe 2" to 4" long pushed into the ground at the foundation (not in flower beds!) and set a film can in it... the film can top will keep it from sliding down inside the tube. Paint it black and it will look like it belongs there. If you want it to be particularly hard to find do this in an open grassy area near the gazebo. Push a 2" PVC tube into the ground so that the top is even with the dirt. Set the film can in it with camo tape or camo paint on the lid. Grass will grow around it but lawn mowers will go right over it. This is a fun way to make a cache that is hidden in plain sight yet very difficult to find!

Same basic idea with an outdoor electrical box and a 10" piece of conduit. Attach the box to the conduit, use only the top screw to loosely attach the face plate so that it swivels. Stand it against the outside of the gazebo and push the conduit into the ground to hold it upright. If the electrical box is fairly water resistant just stuff a plastic zip-loc in it to hold the swag and log. This idea will get flamed here in the forums but in real life cachers like this kind of tricky hide.

Another idea that will draw fire here in the forums but is a fun hide... a fake sprinkler head set close to the outside of the gazebo. Most caching supply vendors sell them and they can be quite tricky to find. Just don't set it amongst real sprinkler heads!

Any of these ideas will work equally well with a micro or nano.

For film can hides invest $2. in a water-resistant film canister, the black and gray freebies you get from camera shops all leak!

JM-35MM-200x200.jpg

Google "Sprinkler Head Cache"

sprinkler.jpg

Is there something magnetic that you can attach to? That opens up a world of possibilities!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Please don't hide nanos. They are not geocaches. That's some other game.
I went to look at your cache hides, and several of your 14 micro caches have this disclaimer: "The cache container is A SMALL PILL BOTTLE BYOP."

So you're okay with micros that are so small you can't even fit in a small pencil, but nanos are unacceptable?

What if some of the micro haters started asking you not to hide micros, because to them it was some other game? For some reason I doubt you'd agree with them.

Thanks for the replies. Knowschads especially.

If it does turn out to be a micro I would label it as such in the sized on the cache page. (I don't like it when that's blank).

Keep in mind that hiding it where you don't have to climb isn't going to stop people from climbing in their search. They don't know that it isn't up high. You can say on the cache page that climbing isn't required, but not everyone reads that. If you don't want to risk damage to the gazebo (or any area for that matter), I'd take TAR's advice and hide it away from the gazebo.

Edited by Dinoprophet
I'm not crazy about putting my hand anywhere I can't see first. Black widows, rattlesnakes, scorpions. rusty nail it goes on and on. Not a good idea especially with kids.

that's where certain tools come in handy. sticks, gloves, small digital cameras, gotta be creative!

+1, and keep in mind that smart cachers will poke into unseen areas with a stick to avoid getting bitten or stung by critters who might be hiding there. :laughing:

My wife says that one of the tell tale signs that you are close to the cache location is that there will always be a "pokey stick" lying around!

There aren't really and hard and fast rules but I would advise that a nano should be placed where muggles are very unlikely to see it, but a cacher if they look in the right places, should be able to see it. i.e. They shouldn't have to feel around in places out of sight in order to retrieve the cache, but they could look around the back of a fence post, for example.

Edited by markhewitt1978

I had one where I had to climb up a lamp post. It was about 15 feet off the ground. It was one of the best experiences I had. Go ahead hide it high!

They shouldn't have to feel around in places out of sight in order to retrieve the cache

Don't listen to him, not everybody likes nano's to be super easy. I prefer harder ones that are out of sight and you have to feel around. Don't let his personal feelings get to you.

Edited by Coldgears

Am I the only person who actually *likes* nanos?! Sure tupperware / ammo boxes are good, but I like searching for tiny caches hidden in plain sight.

The best ones are where you can walk by the cache location and see it sitting there and yet nobody else can!

Am I the only person who actually *likes* nanos?! Sure tupperware / ammo boxes are good, but I like searching for tiny caches hidden in plain sight.

The best ones are where you can walk by the cache location and see it sitting there and yet nobody else can!

I love nano's too. I find most of my nano's when I go out to do something. For example I went out to kohls the other day to buy some new jeans and there was a nano in the parking lot! But, if I go out specifically to find a cache it's usually a larger one. Sadly, I don't have much time to do "real" caching where I find the cache types that are exceptional. But yeah, nano's bring a joy that others can't! I'd much rather have to find a nano on a bench next to the store rather then a pill bottle in the same store's parking lot's lamp post.

... but I like searching for tiny caches hidden in plain sight.

Those are my favorites, when the cache, no matter what size, gives you that DOH! moment when you've been searching for a while and then find that it is right where you can see it but so cleverly disguised that you don't recognize it. I love those! :laughing:

our neighbor hid one way up in the diagonal support beam in a pavillion. I wasn't expecting it to be so high (I'm short) but I had a good idea where it was. Terrain was rated a 2.5 star. I went home and read all the clues and found an interesting story! The pictures showed people standing on the garbage can directly under the beam, and this poor guy climbed up there and dropped his gps down a bricked-in column from the top! He had to go to the hardware store and buy some stuff to fish it out from 7 feet up! WOW! When I brought my husband back to get this one, I warned him not to drop his iphone down there!.

I agree. The ones that are "hidden" in plain sight are cool. OTOH, I don't really like having to feel around in places I can't see.