name for upcoming geocoin wanted.

ernies

here is my pick: kaleidoscope

whereas it does not 100% reflect the design (whoever i will try to design the back as kaleidoscopic as possible), it is still a very good word in combination with geocaching – and it is not preused for a geocoin.

Coined in 1817 in English, the word "kaleidoscope" derives from the Greek καλός (kalos), "beautiful" + εἶδος (eidos), "shape" + σκοπέω (skopeô), "to look at, to examine": "observer of beautiful forms." (wikipedia)

don't expect this coin before october, or let's say, before december (it takes always more time). more news once it's out.

below you can see the design (not final) of an upcoming 2" geocoin which is basically made of circles only. it comes close to the dahlia flower, however i'd prefer another name than "dahlia geocoin". usually i am not lost for words and names, but this time it's different.

so i ask you if you have an idea that comes more or less close to the design. it can also be something completely fancy, like "floccinaucinihilipilification".

the one who posts the idea of a name that i will eventually pick will get one of these coins (once they are ready, don't expect this coin to be out before november!). if no name appeals to me, i will raffle away one amongst all who contributed.

conditions: 1) post you ideas in this thread. 2) name must not be in use yet (for all existing geocoins, see http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinslistall.aspx) and not be suggested in this thread yet.

thank you.

2654_dahlia.jpg

GEOFIRE STAR

you might wonder what happened to the kaleidoscope geocoin. well, good news: samples are finally made. it took me a while to find a manufacturer willing to make it. some refused, as the design is «too complicated» for the color filling.

yes, it has 225 cavities to fill on the front and 192 on its back. bear in mind that color filling is always done manually. no wonder the manufacturers were scared as hell. well, one was willing. most certain this is a new record in geocoin history with more than 400 spots to fill. correct me if i’m wrong.

of course the job is quite labor-intense. and therefore the cost is not that cheap. but i wanted to pull this through. i am quite pleased with the result so far. and i hope at the end of august (2012, that is) we will see the mass production finished. all designs (5 editions) will be revealed then. here is a sneak preview pic (black nickel, front side).

and wait ... last but not least: it is huge! 2.5 inches (that is 63mm) diameter!

every regular 2" coin looks dwarfish next to it. – the surface increase factor from 2" to 2.5" is 1.56x!

5208_kaleidoscope_preview_1.jpg

:DB):)

Edited by ernies

if you think this project has died – it has not:

finally, after such a long time, the coin is out ... and almost sold out too.

but i will surely remint it in new versions sooner or later.

the limited editions (matte gold and matte silver) were sold out within hours.

forum member pastor_b who suggested the name, will get a free copy.

at this point, only a few black nickel ones are left. if you don't want to miss the 2nd batch (coming only in 2013), it's best to join my geocoin mailing list (just contact me via pm and let me know your e-mail addy).

http://geocoins.biz/geo/coins/kaleidoscope_geocoin.html

5208_bn_v_400.jpg

5208_bn_h_400.jpg

Edited by ernies