Since we are essentially leaving trash.....

I wish the "agendas" part of the guidelines also applied to the forum.

Ooh boy.. some of your former posts might get you in trouble too then. :P

Seriously though, if the OP spent as much time out picking up real trash as he seems to have for the forums to complain about geotrash, we'd have a much cleaner world.

when both of us get tired of playing this "game" of hide and seek the trash, you leave the container for me to pick up, and I neglect it, because i have moved on to bigger and better things with my busy life to go out into the woods to retrieve this box filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Therefore before all of you take up the defensive stating that this hobby is not littering the countryside all across the globe, because maybe half of us (probably less) practice CITO as regularly as we "place" it,

my question was not....

"is this game of littering, for me?"

You seem to have just asserted that it is littering as a premise and then asked a leading question based upon it. Legally it isn't littering. It seems to operate the majority of the time with express written consent.

If it were illegal then lots of folk would be in trouble. Perhaps if you neglect your cache, as in your hypothetical scenario, you will cross a line though. If you land a film part in the Hobbit, you could just be about to do a scene with Sir Ian Mckellen and oh what's that? Something about a geocache? The police are here? Littering? But I'm a star now!

Better to be safe than sorry and don't neglect your caches, your Oscar could depend on it.

But morally, by that definition, pretty much our entire existence is nothing more than littering the planet in various ways with stuff we neglect, until we get tired for the last time and leave it all behind.

So your question is as far as I see it, "You're alive, so are you going to use recycled cardboard made in the big recycled cardboard factory?" Does it really make me a better person if I say yes?

To me the word "countryside" here seems a rather naive idea. Yeah I'm from the other bit, the ugly parts where all the people live. But I think a tupperware box or film canister at the bottom of a tree doesn't really compare with all the houses, cars, power stations, factories and Noel Edmonds littering up the place. Are they ok because they aren't in the countryside?

I think you're missing a much bigger picture to worry about to be honest when you're fretting about geocaches.

very good points, i dont see myself being the next geocaching star, but that brings up a topic ill discuss in another thread.

Some 5 gallon buckets are not that easy to open, just remember those of us with arthritis will just ignore the cache.

Think about that when placing a cache please.

Ive thought about this a bit actually, and to solve this problem if I ever leave a cache out there that could potentially give someone a hard time opening it, i would also hide the proper tool to open it nearby, because you are right, some things are tough to open, (gasp, even some ammo cans ive come across have been extremely hard to open)

yeah yeah,

you guys dont get it.

YOU pinned me as a troll because I ask questions others are too afraid to ask, and I get blasted for them most of the time, but you know what? on occassion i get some really good feedback and thats the reason i keep posting,

this is one of those questions i was wondering about, because i spent a good part of my day yesterday driving around town looking for an ammo can to hide my next cache, because i was warned my idea for using a "recovered" Tupperware container was a bad idea, but you know what? I think it will work, it will last long enough until i have to replace it, and i realized it was silly of me to buy into the whole i have to buy things to be a good geocacher, thats not true at all.

so ... if all you had to add to this topic is "dont talk to him, hes a troll" fine,

but youre not telling me anything new, and youre certainly not answering the question, therefore by calling me names, and not imputing anything of value into this discussion maybe you should take a good look in the mirror.

Keep in mind, you set the tone to the thread by using the word "Trash" to define/describe geocaches. You will find that many people take geocaching seriously and personally...and, as such, would be offened by the terms you used...

Recycled/Repurposed...sure, many ammo boxes have been recycled/repurposed, but I would not call them trash...(which, in a round about way, your opening statement did just that). As for my geocaches, I would not consider any of them trash, because I check on them, replace them as needed and monitor the logs...trash is not a word I would use to describe my caches...now, yes, you will come across caches filled with trash...it happens...many people play this games...one of its strenghts and one of its weaknesses...

Just, for future reference, be careful of the words you use for opening a thread, they go a long way to set the tone of the thread itself...

The first couple of caches were awesome but the swag has been going downhill. Just a bunch of "trash", real trash in my opinion. I love the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" but definitely no treasures lately.

I took a look at your profile... all of your finds appear to be in the same general area. Where I live, the same thing happens. In my fairly limited experience, it appears that the longer the hike to the cache, the better the swag. Finding stuff around town is fun, but if you can get to a more remote area you might have even more fun.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah we do plan on expanding our search to different areas. Next weekend we are going to Branson and in July we are going to Michigan, can't wait to see what other areas are going to be like.

The first couple of caches were awesome but the swag has been going downhill. Just a bunch of "trash", real trash in my opinion. I love the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" but definitely no treasures lately.

I took a look at your profile... all of your finds appear to be in the same general area. Where I live, the same thing happens. In my fairly limited experience, it appears that the longer the hike to the cache, the better the swag. Finding stuff around town is fun, but if you can get to a more remote area you might have even more fun.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah we do plan on expanding our search to different areas. Next weekend we are going to Branson and in July we are going to Michigan, can't wait to see what other areas are going to be like.

I know this is off topic, but your avatar pic is really nice. Yay for happy people :huh:

Considering I was thinking about leaving a 5 gallon bucket geocache in a stack of 5 gallon buckets

Why? What could possibly be appealing about a stack of 5 gallon buckets? Intentionally bringing folks to such an unsightly location would be as moronic as bringing folks to a dumpster. Surely you don't find such places visually stimulating. Here's a hint, just in case you do: Most of us are not turned on by piles of garbage. Those obliviots who intentionally bring cachers to garbage strewn areas usually end up with a negative reputation in the caching community. While I can't speak for everyone, I know when I follow the arrow n my GPSr, and it leads me to a rubbish heap, I quit caching and start cleaning, until my supply of trash bags is exhausted, or the bed of my truck is full. Several times this has included CITOing out 5 gallon buckets. Hopefully, some environmentally conscious cacher won't take your pile of buckets, thinking they are an incredibly ugly blight on the landscape.

did you pay for them, or did you find them or were they given to you?

Yes to all three. Personally, I think that, of the three options, paying for them has the highest moral impact, since I'm using a recycled container while helping stimulate the economy.

This entire issue could be avoided if we could only hide virtuals. :huh:

Then Ashinkes could create virtuals of his favorite dumpsters... :anicute:

oh clan,

sigh, you and i disagree on many things, but its ok,

as for my one dumpsteresque cache, i state people can look if they want to, if not they only need to sign the log,

i have a multi which takes people through an urban wasteland which is in actuality an abandon childrens playhouse out in the woods near my house, there is some genuine trash about that place, but some of the stuff lying around is more like an archeological find, you could figure out very easily what or whom was utilizing this space at some point, i find this to be just as exciting as finding a waterfall in the woods, so again, there is something for everyone,

i like cache hides like my multi, ive found a few of them, where someone found beauty in the disguarded, and decided to bring attention to it through geocaching.

like all caches, if you dont like them, you dont have to go after them.

Considering I was thinking about leaving a 5 gallon bucket geocache in a stack of 5 gallon buckets
Why? What could possibly be appealing about a stack of 5 gallon buckets?

Because it sounds like it would be a unique cache? That's a good enough reason for me.

I looked, but I don't see where in the guidelines it requires a cache location to be a visually stimulating location. If he's careful, and creative, he should be able to do this in a place where it won't be mistaken for a trash pile that needs to be cleaned up.

Just because it's not a cache you'd enjoy doing, doesn't mean it's a cache that nobody else would like, or that it has no merit. To me it sounds like a cache I read about here in the forums where someone had a stack of about 100 ammo cans at the end of his driveway, and only one of them was the cache. That seemed really neat too.

Why? What could possibly be appealing about a stack of 5 gallon buckets? Intentionally bringing folks to such an unsightly location would be as moronic as bringing folks to a dumpster. Surely you don't find such places visually stimulating. Here's a hint, just in case you do: Most of us are not turned on by piles of garbage. Those obliviots who intentionally bring cachers to garbage strewn areas usually end up with a negative reputation in the caching community. While I can't speak for everyone, I know when I follow the arrow n my GPSr, and it leads me to a rubbish heap, I quit caching and start cleaning, until my supply of trash bags is exhausted, or the bed of my truck is full. Several times this has included CITOing out 5 gallon buckets. Hopefully, some environmentally conscious cacher won't take your pile of buckets, thinking they are an incredibly ugly blight on the landscape.

did you pay for them, or did you find them or were they given to you?

Yes to all three. Personally, I think that, of the three options, paying for them has the highest moral impact, since I'm using a recycled container while helping stimulate the economy.

This entire issue could be avoided if we could only hide virtuals. :huh:

Then Ashinkes could create virtuals of his favorite dumpsters... :anicute:

"moronic as bringing folks to a dumpster"

Got it, marked it down, tee shirt on order.

Beautiful.

Because it sounds like it would be a unique cache?

I think you are right. A stack of buckets would certainly qualify as "unique". If I were to glue a film can in a used Starbucks cup, place it in a field, then dump a semi truck load of other used Starbucks cups on top of it, that would also be unique, in that I don't think it's ever been done. There would even be folks out there that enjoyed it. Meh. To each their own. I have my opinion, and I am willing to share it. You have your opinion. Ashnikes has his opinion. Life goes on. The Dude abides. ;)

I think you are right. A stack of buckets would certainly qualify as "unique". If I were to glue a film can in a used Starbucks cup, place it in a field, then dump a semi truck load of other used Starbucks cups on top of it, that would also be unique, in that I don't think it's ever been done. There would even be folks out there that enjoyed it. Meh. To each their own. I have my opinion, and I am willing to share it. You have your opinion. Ashnikes has his opinion. Life goes on. The Dude abides. ;)

what a fantastic idea! But I wouldnt use starbucks cups, they are an evil corporation, i'de use seattles best of course.

what a fantastic idea! But I wouldnt use starbucks cups, they are an evil corporation, i'de use seattles best of course.

Is Seattle's Best not a corporation? I hope you're joking...

you do know, of course, that they are the same company?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle%27s_Best_Coffee

Just like to say a few things

I've hidden 3 caches

1 Micro 35mm film canister I got at Wal-Mart Photo Studio, just by asking for free

2 Purchased just for Caching Ziplock/Tupperware containers

I just got done making container for my fourth which I think I will repeat

Empty bucket from Dunkin Donuts used to hold frosting, bleached overnight to remove food smell

painted camo with flat spray paint

First cache no swag micro

Second cache repurposed toys my daughters loved

Third a few new things, a few used toys

Fourth a huge bag of old toys some Happy Meal toys and such all in good condition I bought at a FleaMarket.

AM I a bad cacher?

We have 2 caches out there, one is a recycled container and one is new (bought cheap). We are in the process of putting out a couple more caches and both will be recycled containers. We have a couple of games that we set up for local community "fairs", so we use prizes from them for swag as well as purchasing a few new items that are a little more expensive. We try to replace swag with equal value swag, ie. one cache was a fishing lure trading post and we felt it wasn't fair to take a $4 lure and replace it with a bouncy ball!

We do CITO with our caching finds. One cache had leaked, so removed all the soggy swag -stickers, etc, and made a NM note for the CO. So far, have not found a cache that we would describe as trash, but maybe not a wise container choice for the location.