Since we are essentially leaving trash.....

i was going to set my trash bag out to the curb,now im going to make a cache out of it.feel better!!

I've got a better idea. Mail it to ashnikes.

And after a minimal amount of searching, I've found out just what ash's mailing address might be. My career in private investigation looks promising.

I would suggest not using it. There is a difference between participating in an open forum and harassment.

Agreed. Sometimes it's OK to walk the line and another thing to step over it.

Just place it in a dumpster near where he lives. He will find it anyway.

:laughing:

I give you...indestructible...plastics...in hopes that...something new...or buried under some debris as long as its...cock...when both of us get tired of...my busy life...filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Therefore...my question was not....how much of what you use to..."contribute to an already wasteful society"..But to...troll...you to think...about ..this environment

Oh really?

Since we are essentially leaving trash for other people to find, and still not pick up, how often do you use refurbished, recycled, or resued containers, and or swag?

how often do you purchase new stuff to use for geocaching vs used?

how many of your hide containers are recycled, or made from recycled materials?

how many of your hide containers were purchased specifically for geocaching?

When does school start again?

hmmm lets define this sport....

I doubt there are many folks in here that need a comprehensive definition of "geocaching". However, it seems there is at least one person who could benefit from a definition of "littering". If I intentionally place an object at a specific spot, for a specific purpose, that does not meet the elements for the offense of littering. Although there are a few cachers who do not pick up their caches after they've served their purpose, it's been my experience that the percentage is low. Very low. To paint us all with your broad brush is insulting.

i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea,
I disagree. If buying something allows you to enjoy geocaching more, or allows you to contribute more to the game so others can enjoy it more, and if your geocaching-related spending is within your personal/family budget, then go for it. Buying something new for geocaching is no worse than buying something new for any other recreational activity.
I disagree. If buying something allows you to enjoy geocaching more, or allows you to contribute more to the game so others can enjoy it more, and if your geocaching-related spending is within your personal/family budget, then go for it. Buying something new for geocaching is no worse than buying something new for any other recreational activity.

Reread it, he said there is plenty of durable containers that are trash... He goes dumpster diving, that's what the wants you to do. Go swim in a wad of trash looking for a container.

i was going to set my trash bag out to the curb,now im going to make a cache out of it.feel better!!

I've got a better idea. Mail it to ashnikes.

And after a minimal amount of searching, I've found out just what ash's mailing address might be. My career in private investigation looks promising.

I would suggest not using it. There is a difference between participating in an open forum and harassment.

I'm willing to take that chance. Post the address, I will cancel my Rumpke subscription. :laughing:

Sorry to have kept you all waiting for a reply,

I was out looking around for places to hide garbage, and pawn it off as a geocache.

First off, to whomever found my address, good for you, its public, in fact i have hid nothing from you all, and i invite you all to come down and investigate my cache hides for yourself, and tell me if you think they are bad.

If you want to send me garbage in the mail because you dont like my forum posts, so be it, im sure if its real garbage it wont make it through the post office, and if its good trash i more than welcome it in my mailbox.

second.

there are tons of things i love about geocaching,

shall i list them and bore you all....? ok!

1) it brought my ex gf and I together, it was in fact the only thing we could actually agree upon, course since im a suggested troll, we're not talking again, which is fine, rue de la blah blah blah.

2) it gets me outdoors at all hours of the day and night,

3) I can do it alone if i so choose, and so far i like doing it alone, i dont have to shoot the breeze with people, which makes it a quiet sport, and because of this, ive seen all sorts of animals ide never of gotten to see had i been wasting my life away at a bar or nightclub someplace.

4) I was really enjoying finding caches, until I realized 90% of them in my area are lame non-creative lps or shrub micros, so i decided to do something about it, ive hid 6 caches so far, of them, two are micros, but one micro is actually a very large, since its attached ot a library dumpster which throws out books daily, good books, non-smelly new used and antique books, for reasons ive discussed in another thread. the rest are big enough at least to hide travel bugs, (as im trying to only use durrable weatherproof recycled or reused containers, i dont have much choice in the size I find) one is very large, and im working on planting more very large ones in the near future, course some of those caches are still in the reviewers cue, and one got muggled its second day out because i chose a poor hiding spot for it, but im learning each time i come to the forums and go out looking for caches.

5) Although I do enjoy dumpster diving not only for the "free stuff" aspect of it, but actually also for the urban archeological aspect of it, i find it very interesting what people use, and decide to toss out, and i like trying to guess why they threw such things out, and why they had them in the first place, (note if you want to discuss dumpster diving, (since i refuse to get a premium membership until all volunteer moderators and cache hiders are paid for their work from Groundspeak who makes money off of them) youll have to check out dumpsterworld.com for more info, its not like im the only person on the earth that does this.... anyway back to my point, i can only realisticly expect there to be good trash out two days a week, the nights before the garbage trucks come by in the morning, but with geocaching i can not only find cool stuff, but i can do it every day of the week, whenever i want, (which helps with my insomnia, unlike internet forums that stay awake all night)

6) its much needed excercise, it gets me out and about, and i have to walk a lot climb alot, and explore a lot to find those dang things. and i love it, my body loves me for it, and the ladies love me for it, (one of the previous statements were false)

and several other reasons which i cant think of right now, but im sure you all share some of them, and therefore dont need me to talk about them all day long.

hmmmm.... what else was there i wanted to address....

oh yeah....

just because something was in the garbage does not make it garbage, and just because something was not in the garbage does not mean its not garbage, for example, i once found a valued $350 used price engagement ring in the trash, whereas i feel just about everything you buy from the dollar store is pure trash, and buying it to put it in a cache makes it a trache in my opinion. the things i leave in containers are unique, they have lasted through someone else, and will last again, and generally are things i find interesting, and would be something i would like to find in another persons cache, whereas that stuff you get at the dollar store brand new (which is supporting third world countries dictators, not the people, and for the most part hardly supporting americans, and this economy)

Honestly i dont care if you go dumpster diving or not, i personally think its silly to spend money on this sport, when i know i can make it just as good without buying new stuff to put in or use as caches, if you feel you have to so be it, i was just curious if you had stopped to think why you are doing such a thing, and was just honestly asking how you felt about it, before and after this discussion. this whole troll thing is getting tiresome, and honestly like i said if you feel thats the only signifcant tidbit of information you have to give to this discussion which i am pleasantly engaged in, so be it, but nobody but you and your friends who want to play the name game care. If it hurt my feelings i would have left the forums a long time ago. and if i didnt like geocaching i wouldnt still be sticking around here, hiding caches i fully intend to keep maintained, and have been doing so very frequently.

I also find it funny that sarcasm does not translate well via this forum and sometimes when im blatently telling you something any reasonable person who stops to think about the context for more than a split second would be able to figure out im just joking but you take it as 100% truth. oh well, i suppose i have only myself to blame. after all im hanging out in a forum with a bunch of number crunching pocket protecting math and science nerds right? hahahahaha well some of you might be, but i know not all of you are. but im sure someone just got offended. again even though im just joking. lighten up. im not worth having a heart attack over. remember.

I give you...indestructible...plastics...in hopes that...something new...or buried under some debris as long as its...cock...when both of us get tired of...my busy life...filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Therefore...my question was not....how much of what you use to..."contribute to an already wasteful society"..But to...troll...you to think...about ..this environment

Oh really?

Err... ummm....Not that there is anything wrong with that.

6 of my 14 caches use recycled containers (paint jars, coffee cans, ect), and 3 of the remaining 8 are recycled from previous caches. 2 of those were other people's caches. One was archived long ago, so it took the container with me, and the other was a second container a CO placed when he couldn't find the original. I found both and combined them into the larger, more accurately placed cache. 15 hides, only 6 purchased containers - I figure I'm doing pretty well.

I will preface my response by saying that I consider myself to live fairly frugally in a non-wasteful way. I do repurpose and re-use a lot of things. I do recycle the things that I know actually get recycled by our local waste company (but that's a story for another time).

In regards to geocaching, here is my 2 cents:

a) Glass containers are not a good choice for caches because, as a previous poster stated, glass can break too easily, and I would not want anyone to hurt themselves; especially someone's child or dog. Fortunately, I've only seen two out of 1057 caches that were hidden in glass containers.

b ) I consider buying ammo cans for caches to be repurposing, perhaps in the greatest sense of the word. The ammo can is a great long lasting cache container, not very expensive, definitely re-used, doesn't disintegrate, is waterproof and will last a long time for a cache.

c) As for other containers, I think it is much more environmentally friendly to put out, whether by purchasing new in the case of a lock n' lock or pelican case; or by repurposing a heavy duty plastic container; a cache that will last a long time without replacement. One that will not disintegrate quickly. My philosophy is that it's better to put out one container that will eventually years later need to be thrown away, rather than digging ten or twelve crappy containers out of the trash that will only last a couple of months and then need to be thrown away. Basically this means 1 container in the trash per five or six years versus 10 or 12 in the trash every year.

And CITOing makes things even better. We are avid CITOers. We always bring trash bags and gloves with us in the car to clean up cache areas.

I think if one uses trash to place caches, then their cache really is essentially trash. If one uses high quality containers, whether repurposed or new, and maintains them well, then no, they are not placing trash. They are replacing a high quality game piece that can be enjoyed for years to come.

while i usually agree with you and respect what you have to say i have to say ....

a) I understand about glass, bad example, for which i got blasted, life goes on, i typed and hit send before i thought about it, happens to the worst of us.

:laughing: i agree about ammo cans, but not the best idea when urban hiding, like i intend to do, something a little less conspicuous like a 5 gallon paint jug works just as good, which i can get cleaned and for free from whole foods before it even goes to the dumpster if i ask them, they are always happy to give out recyclables. no questions asked.

c) while i agree its more convenient to put out a longer lasting container, they all can get muggled, or "eaten" or destroyed some other way, my argument is, the stuff im using was already on its way ot a landfill someplace, so if i can postpone its death into the atmosphere in the form of insindified(?) gases, by keeping it alive till its last breath in a new way, a way in which it may encourage other people to use this said container in this new way, i dont mind if i have to replace it, you may just as well have to replace yours as quick if not faster than mine, because yours is such a hot commodity whereas mine is "trash" if i found a pelican case in the woods and i wasnt a geocacher you bet your boots ide take it. but if i found a paint bucket, i wouldnt even touch it. no reason to. honestly some of the containers ive come across may well outlast your bought ones. who knows for sure. honestly do you expect your ability to maintain caches to last longer than your containers? this argument is moot.

Im glad you are CITO'rs, so am i, in my own way, cept i dont use gloves, and my immune system is tip top because of it.

eh... its all in the deffinition isnt it, and just because again i placed something i found in the trash, doesnt mean i dont care about it, and maintain it,

also....

... because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, ..

You do realize that buying things is what fuels the American economy. That is why the current credit crunch is so dangerous. If people stop their wastfull consumerism, the American economy will collaps. And since over 80% of our (Canada's) exports are to the USA, that would be bad. Who would we sell all of our oil and lumber to?

And yes, this is true. When I was much younger and more idealistic I used to poo-poo this idea, but it really is true, and is the reality of living in a capitalist society. I tihnk that we can be educated and make good buying decisions, but buying things and money does make the world go round.

you guys dont honestly believe this whole heartedly do you? yes buying things in america pumps some money back into america, sure, in the form of wages given to employees who man those things, if you are a smart consumer who buys locally, and or american made things even more of it goes to america, but you dont understand economics on the larger scale, america is importing ALOT more than its exporting, that also includes money, the american system is on the fence of collapsing all the time, we just had a collapse recently, hasnt anyone been paying attention? canada exports something other than maple syrup? (bad jokes i know im full of them) the point is.... just because you are buying stuff in america doesnt mean you are really fueling the American Economy, you are fueling an economy sure, but not nessicarilly the american one, especially not if you are buying your garbage from places liek the dollar store or walmart (god bless, im sure i just upset quite a few people) where the majority of the products have been imported the jobs of manufacturing those products have been outsourced, and the only thing keeping money in the system within these corporations is the minimum wage law corporate america is always trying to do away with. these companies "fuel the economy" by further widening the gap between the rich and the poor, by squeezing every last penny from the majority, snuffing out local american owned family run businesses because they can afford to buy in bulk, and blah blah blah blah im sure noone is still reading this, and not like a "troll" could convince you to change your ways, so ill continue to hide my "trash" and youll continue to "find" it, and tell me what a terrible job im doing and that i dont deserve to play this game or some garbage, blah blah blah. goodnight.

6 of my 14 caches use recycled containers (paint jars, coffee cans, ect), and 3 of the remaining 8 are recycled from previous caches. 2 of those were other people's caches. One was archived long ago, so it took the container with me, and the other was a second container a CO placed when he couldn't find the original. I found both and combined them into the larger, more accurately placed cache. 15 hides, only 6 purchased containers - I figure I'm doing pretty well.

depends on whom youre asking here, in my opinion, im proud of you, some of the board members would smite you if they met you in person for reusing something that should have been thrown away as a cache. Im sure all of the people who found one of those trash caches hated them and requested you toss them out and leave the game of geocaching as well didnt they?

I've seen some good and bad recycled containers used as caches, if they are a good size and shape and are waterproof then why not? I used to work in a health food packing warehouse and had lots of food grade black containers that I used to give to other cachers at events, they made great caches and would otherwise have been thrown away.

On the other hand I've seen margarine tubs used which are too flimsy and not waterproof. It's just a case of using common sense and thinking "would this be a suitable cache container?"

As for "leaving trash" I disagree. When a geocache is placed it is owned by somebody and there for a purpose, it should be regularly checked and maintained. Therefore it's no more trash than anything else which is placed somewhere for a purpose.

i refuse to get a premium membership until all volunteer moderators and cache hiders are paid for their work from Groundspeak who makes money off of them

I know this is far from the point of the topic, but Groundspeak makes money off hides just like the Yellow Pages make money off of businesses. They're providing a free service -- listing your cache where lots people will be able to find it. It's a better deal than the YP, even, because it's free. As for the volunteers, well, I trust most of them knew what "volunteer" meant when they signed up. There's a thread here asking how one gets the privilege of volunteering, one of the most recurrent thread topics. Why pay people when volunteers are throwing themselves at you?

Back on topic, I find it interesting that you're willing to use and enjoy the free services here (including the forums) while criticizing every aspect of how it's done, from the business model to the game pieces.

you guys dont honestly believe this whole heartedly do you? yes buying things in america pumps some money back into america, sure, in the form of wages given to employees who man those things, if you are a smart consumer who buys locally, and or american made things even more of it goes to america, but you dont understand economics on the larger scale, america is importing ALOT more than its exporting, that also includes money, the american system is on the fence of collapsing all the time, we just had a collapse recently, hasnt anyone been paying attention? canada exports something other than maple syrup? (bad jokes i know im full of them) the point is.... just because you are buying stuff in america doesnt mean you are really fueling the American Economy, you are fueling an economy sure, but not nessicarilly the american one, especially not if you are buying your garbage from places liek the dollar store or walmart (god bless, im sure i just upset quite a few people) where the majority of the products have been imported the jobs of manufacturing those products have been outsourced, and the only thing keeping money in the system within these corporations is the minimum wage law corporate america is always trying to do away with.

I actually agree with you on this. The stimulus a few years ago just bled us more as people spent it all on Japanese electronics.

Edited by Dinoprophet

... because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, ..

You do realize that buying things is what fuels the American economy. That is why the current credit crunch is so dangerous. If people stop their wastfull consumerism, the American economy will collaps. And since over 80% of our (Canada's) exports are to the USA, that would be bad. Who would we sell all of our oil and lumber to?

And yes, this is true. When I was much younger and more idealistic I used to poo-poo this idea, but it really is true, and is the reality of living in a capitalist society. I tihnk that we can be educated and make good buying decisions, but buying things and money does make the world go round.

you guys dont honestly believe this whole heartedly do you? yes buying things in america pumps some money back into america, sure, in the form of wages given to employees who man those things, if you are a smart consumer who buys locally, and or american made things even more of it goes to america, but you dont understand economics on the larger scale, america is importing ALOT more than its exporting, that also includes money, the american system is on the fence of collapsing all the time, we just had a collapse recently, hasnt anyone been paying attention? canada exports something other than maple syrup? (bad jokes i know im full of them) the point is.... just because you are buying stuff in america doesnt mean you are really fueling the American Economy, you are fueling an economy sure, but not nessicarilly the american one, especially not if you are buying your garbage from places liek the dollar store or walmart (god bless, im sure i just upset quite a few people) where the majority of the products have been imported the jobs of manufacturing those products have been outsourced, and the only thing keeping money in the system within these corporations is the minimum wage law corporate america is always trying to do away with. these companies "fuel the economy" by further widening the gap between the rich and the poor, by squeezing every last penny from the majority, snuffing out local american owned family run businesses because they can afford to buy in bulk, and blah blah blah blah im sure noone is still reading this, and not like a "troll" could convince you to change your ways, so ill continue to hide my "trash" and youll continue to "find" it, and tell me what a terrible job im doing and that i dont deserve to play this game or some garbage, blah blah blah. goodnight.

You make a fine point. This, unfortunatly, is what has caused the credit crunch. The American economy not only relies on consumerism, but it also relies on new cash. The new cash is in the form of credit (mortgages, Credit cards etc). Every time someone gets a mortgage to buy a house, the money flows down and down. The realestate agent gets his cut, the construction workers get theirs, the suppliers get their. Then all these people spend that on stuff etc, etc,

So, debt and wastful spending are what is powering the American economy. Can that change to the utopia that ashnikes dreams of? Yes, but not without major upheavle. (i.e. depression 30's style, followed by revolution).

So the moral of the story is, go buy new containers for your geocaches from the store, using your credit card.

Maybe he can find a new keyboard in a dumpster, one that actually has, you know, an apostrophe key, and a capital I, and a few other necessary keys. Here's a hint - trolling is more fun when people can read your posts without their heads hurting.
You need a capital "I"? Why didn't you just ask?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Let me know when you're ready for more!

Edited by knowschad

Since we are essentially leaving trash for other people to find, and still not pick up, how often do you use refurbished, recycled, or resued containers, and or swag?

- Ever once in a while.

- ever time that I purchase swag stuff I mostly buy new. Except for golf balls. Even then I'd buy new except I generally have a low opinion of golfers.

- two I think.

- all of them. except some of the containers that i've recycled.

Oddly, I essentially do not consider them trash.

Edited by Team Cotati

Was that a question? It started out as one and then appears to have turned into a commentary.

I'll answer you're question. Almost all of the trinkets placed into a cache, whether a new placement, maintenance of a cache, or trades, are new items. Some are recycled from other caches. Some are useful items we've used in other venues and thought would be a good trinket. We don't clean out our kitchen junk drawer to fill our swag bag, no.

All of the ammo cans we use were bought specifically for geocaching. The LnL containers, ditto. Only the large plastic jars are recycled when we see a container that would have normally gone into the recycle bin could be re-purposed for geocaching.

I concur with your assessment of you being a troll. I don't consider the caches I place trash. The items are there for others to find and not abandoned or discarded. So, no, it's not trash.

Now, I've seen plenty of trache, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

your

- Ever once in a while.

- ever time that I purchase swag stuff I mostly buy new. Except for golf balls. Even then I'd buy new except I generally have a low opinion of golfers.

- two I think.

- Every

- Every

while i usually agree with you and respect what you have to say i have to say ....

Wow! Thanks! I was under the impression that you couldn't stand a thing I had to say. Honestly, I don't think you're a troll; but I can see how others might think that way... and in all honesty, you don't need to listen to me; I'm just another person playing the game my way, as you are. It's all good.

I commend your honesty and the fact that you are genuinely you. I might make some suggestions about your communication style that might help your point get across better, but meh; whatever works for you.

:( i agree about ammo cans, but not the best idea when urban hiding, like i intend to do, something a little less conspicuous like a 5 gallon paint jug works just as good, which i can get cleaned and for free from whole foods before it even goes to the dumpster if i ask them, they are always happy to give out recyclables. no questions asked.

Actually, if hidden well enough, you'd be surprised what can be an urban hide. But you're right, in many cases, an ammo can is not the best choice for an urban hide. Most of my hides are not urban, which is why I suggested it; but I live in an area where the woods and other non-urban areas are quite easily accessible; which is not the case for everyone.

c) while i agree its more convenient to put out a longer lasting container, they all can get muggled, or "eaten" or destroyed some other way, my argument is, the stuff im using was already on its way ot a landfill someplace, so if i can postpone its death into the atmosphere in the form of insindified(?) gases, by keeping it alive till its last breath in a new way, a way in which it may encourage other people to use this said container in this new way, i dont mind if i have to replace it, you may just as well have to replace yours as quick if not faster than mine, because yours is such a hot commodity whereas mine is "trash" if i found a pelican case in the woods and i wasnt a geocacher you bet your boots ide take it. but if i found a paint bucket, i wouldnt even touch it. no reason to. honestly some of the containers ive come across may well outlast your bought ones. who knows for sure. honestly do you expect your ability to maintain caches to last longer than your containers? this argument is moot.

One think you'll probably notice after you've been caching a little longer is that all containers have equal possibility of being muggled. In our experience (we have 40 hides, which isn't much compared to some, but it is something), our best containers were the ones that have lasted the longest, and haven't been muggled; and I think it's because we've taken more care at making them unappealing to muggles; ie hiding them in more out of the way places, and hidden better. Others may have a different experience, but I really have noticed that the more durable containers last the longest and have resisted muggling the longest.

For the record, I have not purchased one container that I've hidden a cache with. Not a one. I have repurposed every single one, and my ammo cans were given to me by my father; who is a mechanic and used to use them for tool and part storage. I do admit that I've purchased a few cache containers to be given to other cachers for raffles at events, but for my own hides; I have not purchased even one. You might be surprised to know that...

Im glad you are CITO'rs, so am i, in my own way, cept i dont use gloves, and my immune system is tip top because of it.

One other thing you may be interested to know is that I'm a cancer survivor. I had ovarian cancer when I was a teenager, and have been in remission now for over 10 years, part of why I've lost 200 pounds; because I like being healthy! But, I cannot risk damaging my immune system, which because of chemo will never be the same again. I like gloves :laughing: But I digress...

As to the American Economy briefly; since I do think it fits in with the topic somewhat. I used to be idealistic like you before I really had to make a living; when I was still in college. I now am self-employed and own a small business. I have to pay for every single thing that I do on my own, including taxes; and that's made me really rethink a lot about how the economy works and what I'm willing to live with, what I'm not, and how I fit in. I do think that purchasing, buying and investing fuels our economy in a positive way.

How can I contribute to that responsibly? Well, I live in a small town; I buy local, I grow my own vegetables, and I try to donate to local charities. And you may hate big box stores like Wal-Mart, I admit I'm not their biggest fan, but they do provide jobs for people. I know a single mom who just got her high school GED, and couldn't get hired anywhere else. She is happy to have that job at Wal-Mart because it puts food on her table for her children and she doesn't have to live off of hand-outs from the government.

Anyway, that's enough for now, since this is a geocaching forum, not a political one; but I do appreciate your very thoughtful reply to my posts. Really.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I do not honestly have any issues with anyone ive met on this forum, sometimes i find it anoying that people chose to make a quick bash, rather than post anything of substance be it they dont like my opinion or they agree, but as you said meh....

i did not disagree that spending money in america fuels the american economy, i just pointed out that depending on where you spend it you are fueling a higher percentage of an outside economy than americas,

although i agree walmart and other stores such as this one give people oppertunities that couldnt otherwise have them, they do it at the cheapest possible rate, and are constantly fighting to have even that rate lowered, they gobble up competition where people could be working instead making a decent living, and worst of all, most of these stores compact their trash (gasp) preventing anyone from living off the perfectly good "waste" they get rid of. rather than donating it to charity, (something most true capitalists would never dream of, donating why would i do that when i could sell it to someone else)

but again youre right this is off topic to some degree....

I think its great you havent purchased a single container, but thats just my opinion, some people who go looking for your containers might get a bit grossed out if they knew your container (although it sits outside in the elements, dirt, animals, grime all day and night long) if it came out of a garbage can at some point, or was handed down rather than purchased new, it is disgusting, and should promptly be removed from the game for obvious sanitation issues.

im glad you survived cancer, and are with us today still kickin it, and still cleaning up the planet, youve obviously got some good karma, and are making the world a better place one glove full of trash at a time, (no i was not making fun of you, i was using it as analogy)

Maybe he can find a new keyboard in a dumpster, one that actually has, you know, an apostrophe key, and a capital I, and a few other necessary keys. Here's a hint - trolling is more fun when people can read your posts without their heads hurting.
You need a capital "I"? Why didn't you just ask?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Let me know when you're ready for more!

It's not alllll about I, you know :laughing:

just most of it!

I forgot what your original question was after reading these two pages :laughing: but I do not consider players leaving geocaches for us to find as leaving trash for us to find. On the other hand, after finding 20 caches, most of the stuff/swag in the caches I would call "trash."

Sigh, yeah I am a little disappointed in the swag I have come across. The first couple of caches were awesome but the swag has been going downhill. Just a bunch of "trash", real trash in my opinion. I love the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" but definitely no treasures lately. No biggie, I now have two types of swag items in my bag to trade, pins valued at 4 to 6 dollars for any good swag and plastic charm beads for crappy swag that might still hold my interest.

What do I consider trash in geocaches? Soggy business cards, broken happy meal toys, broken mardi gra beads, soggy origami swan, cardboard trading cards, loose dirty batteries, paper coupons, etc.

After 20 cache finds, I might be at the point where I no longer trade and just sign the log cause I still love geocaching, just get tired of seeing "trash" in the geocaches.

I am new at this, but I see no reason to spend money on special containers to hide my stuff in. I don't really expect to find big or valuable treasure in any cache, I'm in it for the fun of it, and the exercise. A descent log book is all I need to find. I agree that there are plenty of tupperware, and many other things to use for a cache.

It sounds to me like your use of the word "trash" has offended some of the members, but I see your original point.

Edited by allrhoncart

I have not read the whole thread. Just want to add that sometimes the guns shops have used ammo cans that people have brought in. Not always, but sometimes.

That is, if ashnikes is not afraid of being around guns. :laughing: Just call them up and ask if they have any. I know he probably already hit the army surplus stores.

Reread it, he said there is plenty of durable containers that are trash... He goes dumpster diving, that's what the wants you to do. Go swim in a wad of trash looking for a container.
Exactly. And I still disagree. Reuse when it makes sense. Buy new when it makes sense. My caches have been made from a combination of new materials and reused materials.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with spending money on geocaching. I disagree with the hard line that ashnikes is taking ("buying anything for this game is a terrible idea", "its silly to spend money on this sport", etc.). And I think his original premise ("we are essentially leaving trash for other people to find", "we are essentially littering", etc.) is false.

The first couple of caches were awesome but the swag has been going downhill. Just a bunch of "trash", real trash in my opinion. I love the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" but definitely no treasures lately.

I took a look at your profile... all of your finds appear to be in the same general area. Where I live, the same thing happens. In my fairly limited experience, it appears that the longer the hike to the cache, the better the swag. Finding stuff around town is fun, but if you can get to a more remote area you might have even more fun.

- Ever once in a while.

- two I think.

- Every

- Every

Playing to my audience...............big diff.

But thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Team Cotati

I forgot what your original question was after reading these two pages :P but I do not consider players leaving geocaches for us to find as leaving trash for us to find. On the other hand, after finding 20 caches, most of the stuff/swag in the caches I would call "trash."

Sigh, yeah I am a little disappointed in the swag I have come across. The first couple of caches were awesome but the swag has been going downhill. Just a bunch of "trash", real trash in my opinion. I love the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure" but definitely no treasures lately. No biggie, I now have two types of swag items in my bag to trade, pins valued at 4 to 6 dollars for any good swag and plastic charm beads for crappy swag that might still hold my interest.

What do I consider trash in geocaches? Soggy business cards, broken happy meal toys, broken mardi gra beads, soggy origami swan, cardboard trading cards, loose dirty batteries, paper coupons, etc.

After 20 cache finds, I might be at the point where I no longer trade and just sign the log cause I still love geocaching, just get tired of seeing "trash" in the geocaches.

The only solution to this is to trade up, even if that means trading something good for trash that you will through in the nearest garbage can. I usualy end up leaving a kids toy, and taking nothing. Don't know if it has a lasting impact on the swag in the cache or if the next guy just takes it and leave a buisness card, but who knows right.

Excuse me sir. This is the wake up call you ordered. Time to get up and hide those ammo cans.

(Sigh) Fine, let me grab some coffee.

i find it anoying that people chose to make a quick bash, rather than post anything of substance

Sorry to have kept you all waiting for a reply,

I was out looking around for places to hide garbage, and pawn it off as a geocache.

Is it me, or are these two posts a little bit angsty?

eh, probably me.

(Walks off looking for primer paint)

I agree about ammo cans, but not the best idea when urban hiding, like i intend to do, something a little less conspicuous like a 5 gallon paint jug works just as good

Er... Something with a volume of over 1000 cubic inches is less conspicuous than something with a volume of just over 200 cubic inches? I reckon that must be the new math that kids talk about. And this notion of "works just as good"? Let's discuss that one a bit. In your mind, what is the objective of a geocache? My objective is to have a quality container, filled with interesting stuff, hidden from common view, for other folks to find. I define "quality" as a container that does not leak. Used 5 gallon buckets, (with the compression ring separated when initially opened) only qualify if you utilize something like a Gamma Seal. I would suggest you acquire one, but that might run afoul of your "Only Use Garbage" philosophy. Now to the part about hidden from common view. While you may have a point about leaving a 5 gallon bucket somewhere visible, versus leaving an ammo box in the same spot, (there's a greater likelihood that the ammo can will get taken), neither would quite cut it as a geocache, by my definition, because neither one is hidden. Since an ammo can is roughly 1/5 the size of a 5 gallon bucket, hiding one is a heck of a lot easier, regardless of environment.

As a side note, you do realize that ammo cans are recycled, right?

Initially they held bullets, (or other stuff), for some military organization.

I agree about ammo cans, but not the best idea when urban hiding, like i intend to do, something a little less conspicuous like a 5 gallon paint jug works just as good

Er... Something with a volume of over 1000 cubic inches is less conspicuous than something with a volume of just over 200 cubic inches? I reckon that must be the new math that kids talk about. And this notion of "works just as good"? Let's discuss that one a bit. In your mind, what is the objective of a geocache? My objective is to have a quality container, filled with interesting stuff, hidden from common view, for other folks to find. I define "quality" as a container that does not leak. Used 5 gallon buckets, (with the compression ring separated when initially opened) only qualify if you utilize something like a Gamma Seal. I would suggest you acquire one, but that might run afoul of your "Only Use Garbage" philosophy. Now to the part about hidden from common view. While you may have a point about leaving a 5 gallon bucket somewhere visible, versus leaving an ammo box in the same spot, (there's a greater likelihood that the ammo can will get taken), neither would quite cut it as a geocache, by my definition, because neither one is hidden. Since an ammo can is roughly 1/5 the size of a 5 gallon bucket, hiding one is a heck of a lot easier, regardless of environment.

As a side note, you do realize that ammo cans are recycled, right?

Initially they held bullets, (or other stuff), for some military organization.

I think... and I may be wrong here... that his issues with ammo cans are that he has to pay for them.

So far he has posted that he will use dumpster found containers for a container (I have no idea why he asked for advice if he intended to ignore it from the start).

He will use swag that he found in a dumpster (again ignoring what people posted pro or con).

He will place a cache under water in a dumpster found container filled with stuff found from a dumpster (despite starting a thread asking for advice and ignoring it again).

I am pretty sure someone is a unemployed student who loves to hug trees and I wish school would start again soon.

*** no actual person referenced in this post.***

Anyone hear about what's going on in the Gulf? :P
As a matter of fact, yes. I heard that Flask's neighbor's cats are down there lapping it up as fast as it can bubble up. Amazing cats. Hope the clams are doing OK.

I've always liked that cat. be a shame should anything happen to them... :D

well....

Considering I was thinking about leaving a 5 gallon bucket geocache in a stack of 5 gallon buckets, which were already here, and which i could always rig together somehow, to that only the real geocache container moves separately from the group, this is actually hiding the cache in plain sight, which i thought was one of the best things to try and achieve.

and i am aware ammo cans (some of them) have been recycled, thats great, did you pay for them, or did you find them or were they given to you? dont worry you dont have to answer those questions.

i am also aware that hiding an ammo can even hidden in the bushes in a busy city park looks extremely suspicious, whereas hiding a 5 gallon bucket looks a whole lot less suspicious because people understand what a paint bucket looks liek and what "might" be inside it, whereas an ammo can looks military (hmm wonder why) and therefore dangerous.

when both of us get tired of playing this "game" of hide and seek the trash, you leave the container for me to pick up, and I neglect it, because i have moved on to bigger and better things with my busy life to go out into the woods to retrieve this box filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Therefore before all of you take up the defensive stating that this hobby is not littering the countryside all across the globe, because maybe half of us (probably less) practice CITO as regularly as we "place" it,

my question was not....

"is this game of littering, for me?"

You seem to have just asserted that it is littering as a premise and then asked a leading question based upon it. Legally it isn't littering. It seems to operate the majority of the time with express written consent.

If it were illegal then lots of folk would be in trouble. Perhaps if you neglect your cache, as in your hypothetical scenario, you will cross a line though. If you land a film part in the Hobbit, you could just be about to do a scene with Sir Ian Mckellen and oh what's that? Something about a geocache? The police are here? Littering? But I'm a star now!

Better to be safe than sorry and don't neglect your caches, your Oscar could depend on it.

But morally, by that definition, pretty much our entire existence is nothing more than littering the planet in various ways with stuff we neglect, until we get tired for the last time and leave it all behind.

So your question is as far as I see it, "You're alive, so are you going to use recycled cardboard made in the big recycled cardboard factory?" Does it really make me a better person if I say yes?

To me the word "countryside" here seems a rather naive idea. Yeah I'm from the other bit, the ugly parts where all the people live. But I think a tupperware box or film canister at the bottom of a tree doesn't really compare with all the houses, cars, power stations, factories and Noel Edmonds littering up the place. Are they ok because they aren't in the countryside?

I think you're missing a much bigger picture to worry about to be honest when you're fretting about geocaches.