Since we are essentially leaving trash.....

Since we are essentially leaving trash for other people to find, and still not pick up, how often do you use refurbished, recycled, or resued containers, and or swag?

how often do you purchase new stuff to use for geocaching vs used?

how many of your hide containers are recycled, or made from recycled materials?

how many of your hide containers were purchased specifically for geocaching?

hmmm lets define this sport....

I give you coordinantes to a metal or plastic (either way fairly indestructible) container filled with trinkets, paper, coins, plastics, etc, in hopes that if you take anything from this container you put something new (more trinkets, plastics, paper, etc) back in its place,

I leave this container out in the wilderness, in the open, or buried under some debris (as long as its not dirt) to sit there for days, weeks, years, on end, waiting for you to find it, add your john hancock, and whatever else you want to it, and put it back where you found it,

when both of us get tired of playing this "game" of hide and seek the trash, you leave the container for me to pick up, and I neglect it, because i have moved on to bigger and better things with my busy life to go out into the woods to retrieve this box filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Therefore before all of you take up the defensive stating that this hobby is not littering the countryside all across the globe, because maybe half of us (probably less) practice CITO as regularly as we "place" it,

my question was not....

"is this game of littering, for me?"

my question was actually....

since we are essentially littering, how much of what you use to play this game of hide and seek the trash has been recycled, or reused, vs how much have you actually bought specifically for the game of geocaching....

im just curious, because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, there is plenty of good durable trash out there that can be converted to fit the needs of both the hiders and the seekers,

therefore before you go and purchase anything off of Groundspeak or other third party sites such as official containers, or logs or whathaveyou think twice about it, and about that old glass bottle you have lying around or that plastic bottle you are tossing out after one use, its going to outlast all of us combined, but of course since its not an ammo can its probably not suitable for the game of geocaching, neither is that scrap notebook you only wrote in on the first few pages, it could never be an official geocaching log, of course not.....

Just a friendly reminder from your friendly forum "troll" to get you to think twice about how you play this environmental adventure game.

Was that a question? It started out as one and then appears to have turned into a commentary.

I'll answer you're question. Almost all of the trinkets placed into a cache, whether a new placement, maintenance of a cache, or trades, are new items. Some are recycled from other caches. Some are useful items we've used in other venues and thought would be a good trinket. We don't clean out our kitchen junk drawer to fill our swag bag, no.

All of the ammo cans we use were bought specifically for geocaching. The LnL containers, ditto. Only the large plastic jars are recycled when we see a container that would have normally gone into the recycle bin could be re-purposed for geocaching.

I concur with your assessment of you being a troll. I don't consider the caches I place trash. The items are there for others to find and not abandoned or discarded. So, no, it's not trash.

Now, I've seen plenty of trache, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

so heres essentially my second question then....

have you ever come across a cache that is obviously trash, and what did you do about it? did you take it, and "trash" it properly? did you contact the owner and leave it at that? if the owner did not contact you back in a certain amount of time did you just assume it was garbage and abandon, and you went back to pick it up for them, and the good of the geocaching community? or did you just sign the log, if there was one, grab the smiley, and log a needs maint, log.

Since we are essentially leaving trash for other people to find, and still not pick up, how often do you use refurbished, recycled, or resued containers, and or swag?

I always leave new dollar store items as swag.

I buy containers specifically for making into a Geocache.

I've never re-purposed a container as a Geocache.

I am offended by your premise!! ;) I know 100% for sure I don't leave trash for other people to find.

yeah yeah,

you guys dont get it.

YOU pinned me as a troll because I ask questions others are too afraid to ask, and I get blasted for them most of the time, but you know what? on occassion i get some really good feedback and thats the reason i keep posting,

this is one of those questions i was wondering about, because i spent a good part of my day yesterday driving around town looking for an ammo can to hide my next cache, because i was warned my idea for using a "recovered" Tupperware container was a bad idea, but you know what? I think it will work, it will last long enough until i have to replace it, and i realized it was silly of me to buy into the whole i have to buy things to be a good geocacher, thats not true at all.

so ... if all you had to add to this topic is "dont talk to him, hes a troll" fine,

but youre not telling me anything new, and youre certainly not answering the question, therefore by calling me names, and not imputing anything of value into this discussion maybe you should take a good look in the mirror.

i have not hidden yet. When i do (and i will probably have only a few hides because that's all i can maintain) i have one container that is waterproof and held those alcohol pads for washing faces.

The second i will buy new since i can't make it waterproof.

i'm pretty 'green.' i CITO, recycle am vegan etc. Though i do have garbage like most of us do. i use moderation. i mean, i buy new sandals, i don't buy used ones..things like that.

i think trash is useless junk in inappropriate places. Geocache containers are game pieces with a purpose and are well maintained. If i saw one that was abandoned, and got no replay from the CO i would pick it up and throw it away or adopt it.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I'm not my brother's keeper, and I do not leave trash in the woods. I cannot speak for the behavior of others, but If my container is still there at the end of its life as a geocache I will remove it.

Generally speaking, glass containers are not good ideas for geocaches. The risk of breakage is too high.

I will reuse plastic containers from our kitchen or buy surplus ammo cans. I will buy new bison tubes, or recycle pill bottles. I will use what I am in the mood to use when my muse tells me it's time to hide another cache. And there are usually a few options ready to deploy on my shelves in the garage.

The initial swag may come from household items that we don't use, but are not used up. I've been thinking of stocking the next ammo can hide with the unusual kitchen gadgets that I get as gifts or pick up at trade shows.

If it is already junk at my home, it will be junk for someone else; I won't give my tired used up broken trash to someone else to discard.

If the cache I find in the woods is viable and has a log sheet I can find, I will sign it and move on. If it needs some minor repairs that I can make with the supplies I am carrying I will do so. If it needs more than that, I will notify the cache owner so they can properly take care of their own property.

As far as the rest of my use and recycling habits-I'm doing just fine there. I don't need a lecture from you nor anyone else in the forums or elsewhere. Save those rants for another forum.

since you put it that way....

now i am having a complex over the trash (my car) i've left in the parking lot at work during the day. yeah, i go out and move it to a store... or move it to the house... but there it is...

trash which i've left sitting outside. a blight, a horrible, despicable scar on the earth. oh... and my house, just one huge pile of trash, no it doesn't move, but it does just sit there taking up space which could otherwise be the lush, green living space of a three-toed speckled gecko or some such species....

As far as the rest of my use and recycling habits-I'm doing just fine there. I don't need a lecture from you nor anyone else in the forums or elsewhere. Save those rants for another forum.

I was not aware that i was ranting, nor giving a lecture, just asking a few questions, which you answered in your own opinion, which I i thank you for.

A complicated post in many parts.

I'll agree that many caches are placed and abandoned. Cachers get excited, place, leave the game and abandoned their hides: Sea gulls (arrive, make a mess, leave) per Markwell. I believe it's possible that using "recycled" containers actually contributes to this. The less initial investment the owner has in the cache, the easier it is to walk away from. I have no stats to back that, just a notion.

Early in my career I replaced some deteriorated hides with upgraded containers. I wouldn't do that now. Depending upon condition, I'd log my find and move on - or if I'm really finding broken hunks of wet plastic, I'll CITO, log a DNF (no cache found) and then log a Needs Archived.

My own caches are in purchased to purpose ammo cans, lock and locks, matchsafes and a few bison type tubes.

Ammo can caches tend to get picked up, either by their owners, or by other cachers when they notice the hide, abandoned and archived, is still sitting there. They're the anti-litter container, on the opposite end of the scale from film cans or slim bobs (slim bob, the taped flat small baggie with a log).

since you put it that way....

now i am having a complex over the trash (my car) i've left in the parking lot at work during the day. yeah, i go out and move it to a store... or move it to the house... but there it is...

trash which i've left sitting outside. a blight, a horrible, despicable scar on the earth. oh... and my house, just one huge pile of trash, no it doesn't move, but it does just sit there taking up space which could otherwise be the lush, green living space of a three-toed speckled gecko or some such species....

hahahaha although a twist of my words, what this topic was asking is whether or not you as the cache hider, or finder, purchases or reuses things specifically for geocaching, a game that takes us places outdoors, to find things either we or someone else left there for us to find, and as a nice side effect on our route we get to see all sorts of wondrous things be it parking lots, or waterfalls,

i could argue Waymarking and earthcaching are non garbage inducing side sports of geocaching, but i wasnt asking that question or pointing that finger,

i was simply curious as to if YOU get sucked into the idea you have to buy new things to play geocaching "the right way" whatever that is, or if you are ok with finding or hiding reused things while playing the game.

since we are essentially littering, how much of what you use to play this game of hide and seek the trash has been recycled, or reused, vs how much have you actually bought specifically for the game of geocaching....

im just curious, because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, there is plenty of good durable trash out there that can be converted to fit the needs of both the hiders and the seekers,

therefore before you go and purchase anything off of Groundspeak or other third party sites such as official containers, or logs or whathaveyou think twice about it, and about that old glass bottle you have lying around or that plastic bottle you are tossing out after one use, its going to outlast all of us combined, but of course since its not an ammo can its probably not suitable for the game of geocaching, neither is that scrap notebook you only wrote in on the first few pages, it could never be an official geocaching log, of course not.....

Yes, you are lecturing.

All but two of my containers have all been reused (ammo cans or plasticware). The others were purchased for the caches.

Notebooks are new but not always, swag is usually new, though I rarely trade swag.

Don't know. But they're usually reused, which is better than recycled.

Two of a dozen or so.

...snip...

when both of us get tired of playing this "game" of hide and seek the trash, you leave the container for me to pick up, and I neglect it, because i have moved on to bigger and better things with my busy life to go out into the woods to retrieve this box filled with garbage, which i no longer want anymore.

Here's why you're being called a troll. You'll find just about everyone on this forum picks up their archived caches. If this is what you do with your archived caches, then please reconsider.

Therefore before all of you take up the defensive stating that this hobby is not littering the countryside all across the globe, because maybe half of us (probably less) practice CITO as regularly as we "place" it,

my question was not....

"is this game of littering, for me?"

my question was actually....

Your argument is based on a broad assumption. Please provide evidence that most containers and swag are abandoned as litter.

Do you really toss out plastic containers after one use? That's just sad. I recycle all plastic that I can't reuse.

And I have reused logs, thanks.

Just a friendly reminder from your friendly forum "troll" to get you to think twice about how you play this environmental adventure game.

You need to think twice before assuming other people behave the way you want to think they do.

so heres essentially my second question then....

have you ever come across a cache that is obviously trash, and what did you do about it? did you take it, and "trash" it properly? did you contact the owner and leave it at that? if the owner did not contact you back in a certain amount of time did you just assume it was garbage and abandon, and you went back to pick it up for them, and the good of the geocaching community? or did you just sign the log, if there was one, grab the smiley, and log a needs maint, log.

I've never come across a cache that was in unusable condition AND was owned by someone who was no longer maintaining it. I have retrieved the remnants of an archived cache. The Michigan Geocaching Organization tracks and publishes such caches so that cachers can retrieve any remains.

Edited by Dinoprophet

... because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, ..

You do realize that buying things is what fuels the American economy. That is why the current credit crunch is so dangerous. If people stop their wastfull consumerism, the American economy will collaps. And since over 80% of our (Canada's) exports are to the USA, that would be bad. Who would we sell all of our oil and lumber to?

I will preface my response by saying that I consider myself to live fairly frugally in a non-wasteful way. I do repurpose and re-use a lot of things. I do recycle the things that I know actually get recycled by our local waste company (but that's a story for another time).

In regards to geocaching, here is my 2 cents:

a) Glass containers are not a good choice for caches because, as a previous poster stated, glass can break too easily, and I would not want anyone to hurt themselves; especially someone's child or dog. Fortunately, I've only seen two out of 1057 caches that were hidden in glass containers.

b ) I consider buying ammo cans for caches to be repurposing, perhaps in the greatest sense of the word. The ammo can is a great long lasting cache container, not very expensive, definitely re-used, doesn't disintegrate, is waterproof and will last a long time for a cache.

c) As for other containers, I think it is much more environmentally friendly to put out, whether by purchasing new in the case of a lock n' lock or pelican case; or by repurposing a heavy duty plastic container; a cache that will last a long time without replacement. One that will not disintegrate quickly. My philosophy is that it's better to put out one container that will eventually years later need to be thrown away, rather than digging ten or twelve crappy containers out of the trash that will only last a couple of months and then need to be thrown away. Basically this means 1 container in the trash per five or six years versus 10 or 12 in the trash every year.

And CITOing makes things even better. We are avid CITOers. We always bring trash bags and gloves with us in the car to clean up cache areas.

I think if one uses trash to place caches, then their cache really is essentially trash. If one uses high quality containers, whether repurposed or new, and maintains them well, then no, they are not placing trash. They are replacing a high quality game piece that can be enjoyed for years to come.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

yeah yeah,

you guys dont get it.

YOU pinned me as a troll because I ask questions others are too afraid to ask, and I get blasted for them most of the time, but you know what? on occassion i get some really good feedback and thats the reason i keep posting,

this is one of those questions i was wondering about, because i spent a good part of my day yesterday driving around town looking for an ammo can to hide my next cache, because i was warned my idea for using a "recovered" Tupperware container was a bad idea, but you know what? I think it will work, it will last long enough until i have to replace it, and i realized it was silly of me to buy into the whole i have to buy things to be a good geocacher, thats not true at all.

so ... if all you had to add to this topic is "dont talk to him, hes a troll" fine,

but youre not telling me anything new, and youre certainly not answering the question, therefore by calling me names, and not imputing anything of value into this discussion maybe you should take a good look in the mirror.

The essential nature of your question is flawed. We are not leaving trash and we are not littering. Look up the definition of trash and litter and tell me how they apply to a geocache.

... because i think buying anything for this game is a terrible idea, and only contributes to an already wasteful society, ..

You do realize that buying things is what fuels the American economy. That is why the current credit crunch is so dangerous. If people stop their wastfull consumerism, the American economy will collaps. And since over 80% of our (Canada's) exports are to the USA, that would be bad. Who would we sell all of our oil and lumber to?

And yes, this is true. When I was much younger and more idealistic I used to poo-poo this idea, but it really is true, and is the reality of living in a capitalist society. I tihnk that we can be educated and make good buying decisions, but buying things and money does make the world go round.

b ) I consider buying ammo cans for caches to be repurposing, perhaps in the greatest sense of the word. The ammo can is a great long lasting cache container, not very expensive, definitely re-used, doesn't disintegrate, is waterproof and will last a long time for a cache.

Usually. I was shocked to find an ammo can near the beach recently of which the bottom had rusted out completely! But every other ammo can I've found has been in very good condition and I definitely love them as containers as a result.

As for the subject of "trash": if you think all geocaches classify as litter then this hobby is not for you.

A responsible cacher should remove (or get another user to adopt) their caches when they retire from geocaching. Many don't which is unfortunate. In some cases this is not a real issue because the cache remains in good shape on its own and/or gets maintained by the community.

In other situations the cache becomes trash. There is a Needs Archived feature available to all users for a reason. If I find a cache that is in wretched condition and the owner is clearly no longer active I will dispose of the container and log a NA in addition to my Found It. Out of 199 finds I have done this twice: a rusted waterlogged magnetic key case in a lamp post skirt at a KFC and a rusted altoids tin in a park where the description no longer was accurate due to landscaping at said park. In both cases the cache owner had not logged on to the website in many months if not years, Needs Maintenance had been logged by previous cachers, and most/all of their other caches had been similiarly archived.

The previously mentioned rusted ammo can remains only because I know the CO is still active (both in terms of logging onto the site and maintaining other caches). If I plan to pass by that cache in the future with spare time and it has not been taken care of by the CO I will message them for permission to send it to a trash can and log NA.

therefore before you go and purchase anything off of Groundspeak or other third party sites such as official containers, or logs or whathaveyou think twice about it, and about that old glass bottle

Glass Bottle are probably the least intelligent choice for a geocache container.

I wish I knew everything there is to know about an activity after only 1 month.

ashnikes

I hope you used recyled paper bags for your hides.

Happy caching!!!

therefore before you go and purchase anything off of Groundspeak or other third party sites such as official containers, or logs or whathaveyou think twice about it, and about that old glass bottle

Glass Bottle are probably the least intelligent choice for a geocache container.

I wish I knew everything there is to know about an activity after only 1 month.

ashnikes

I hope you used recyled paper bags for your hides.

Happy caching!!!

no but those office envelopes you can steal from the bank to make your deposits with make great log containers, IMHO of course.

I guess if you have genuine concerns for the environment, it might be better to start your threads with something less inflammatory than "since we're essentially leaving trash". Sounds like the police officer asking you "When did you stop beating your wife?" It's making an assumption prior to opening an actual discussion. Maybe a better opening line: "I'm concerned about the environment and the impact caches make. How can we be better stewards of the planet?"

To start off being so accusatory right off the bat definitely smacks of troll.

DancingTroll.gif

What about using the new Sun Chips bags and making everything in the cache compostable? O wait - there's something in the guidelines about cache permanence...

Edited by Markwell

People are still taking this guy seriously? Absolutely inconceivable!

The thread is more interesting than reading a bunch of news articles. Eventually it'll end up at the bottom of the composted pile of threads, unless a mod wants to throw it into a wood chipper and delete it. ;)

Point to you. This is true...

yeah yeah,

you guys dont get it.

Oh yeah, I think we get it.

I CITO and I have never left a cache out as trash.

Edited by Luckless

People are still taking this guy seriously? Absolutely inconceivable!

This guy's threads remind me of that TV ad. The one that had a person in a lab coat checking on the wheel of cheese. The cheese starts out immature and childish, then it eventually matures.

i was going to set my trash bag out to the curb,now im going to make a cache out of it.feel better!! :laughing:

i was going to set my trash bag out to the curb,now im going to make a cache out of it.feel better!! :laughing:

I've got a better idea. Mail it to ashnikes.

Office envelopes and glass bottles, and this guy thinks he'd be a good hider? I wonder what his 3 hides will look like in a years time when he gets bored and leaves the game and his litter for the rest of us to find and dispose of. Because ya know Florida never gets damp and bottles never break

Office envelopes and glass bottles, and this guy thinks he'd be a good hider? I wonder what his 3 hides will look like in a years time when he gets bored and leaves the game and his litter for the rest of us to find and dispose of. Because ya know Florida never gets damp and bottles never break

Uh oh... don't mention that Florida is damp, he'll call you "Captain Obvious!" :laughing:

Uh oh... don't mention that Florida is damp, he'll call you "Captain Obvious!" :(

HAHAHAHA!

I think the only trash caches are the ones the OP is going to hide. He has already said that he will be using containers he found in the garbage. In another thread he talked about using swag he found in a garbage. then he talks about stealing envelopes from the post office? :laughing:

Garbage+garbage=garbage?

If he hides it in or on a garbage bin he will win the trifecta! :D

Edited by brslk

Uh oh... don't mention that Florida is damp, he'll call you "Captain Obvious!" :(

HAHAHAHA!

I think the only trash caches are the ones the OP is going to hide. He has already said that he will be using containers he found in the garbage. In another thread he talked about using swag he found in a garbage. then he talks about stealing envelopes from the post office? :laughing:

Garbage+garbage=garbage?

If he hides it in or on a garbage bin he will win the trifecta! :D

In, On, Or Under. :)

Using garbage for a cache container is bad even if it is a good container. It will likely have some residual smell that will attracked wild animals. That usualy ends bad for the cache.

i was going to set my trash bag out to the curb,now im going to make a cache out of it.feel better!!

I've got a better idea. Mail it to ashnikes.

And after a minimal amount of searching, I've found out just what ash's mailing address might be. My career in private investigation looks promising.

I would suggest not using it. There is a difference between participating in an open forum and harassment.