PEOPLE CAN'T READ

On several of my caches, I point out the safe and legal nearby parking. I will also often state not to park along hwy xx. Even include the parking coordinates.

Sure enough, I've seen 1 log this spring about a cacher complaining that he got ticketed for illegal parking while retrieving the cache. Sent me an email threatening to get it archived. Nevermind the dirt road and parking area about 200 feet away.

Nothing more I can do to correct that behavior. Some folks just get the mentality that a straight line from wherever they happen to be is always the best approach to a cache.

On several of my caches, I point out the safe and legal nearby parking. I will also often state not to park along hwy xx. Even include the parking coordinates.

Sure enough, I've seen 1 log this spring about a cacher complaining that he got ticketed for illegal parking while retrieving the cache. Sent me an email threatening to get it archived. Nevermind the dirt road and parking area about 200 feet away.

Nothing more I can do to correct that behavior. Some folks just get the mentality that a straight line from wherever they happen to be is always the best approach to a cache.

I would like to mention that I LOVE it when people post additional parking coordinates, it's so helpful ;)

Personally, I hate it when the router on my gpsr tells me to stop on the interstate. More often than not, I have to jump over the fence to get the cache on the other side. But what is a person to do? Except perhaps to sue google or garmin or Groundspeak.

Some things I attribute to inexperience. Like the cacher who put a NM log on one of my earthcaches because she could not find the container. Some things just leave me shaking my head. Sometimes it helps to read the description. Sometimes it does not. But if I load a thousand caches on my pq, I am going to have to take a certain amount of responsibility for the decisions I make from there.

Simply put, I love my Oregon 200, take the cache pages with me. ;)
I have my Nuvi loaded with the cache page info, too. But that doesn't mean that I always read it before seeking the cache. I'm guessing that you probably don't, also.

Actually, I always read them, that was why I bought that gps.

Puzzles... I just love it when someone posts a DNF log on a puzzle saying they searched all over and couldn't find it. So they not only don't read the listing, but they don't even pay attention to the cache type. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I did this on the first puzzle I attempted. I was borrowing a GPS at first and only had access to it every other weekend. So in the meantime I printed out a map of caches in my neighborhood and went hunting - found several that way. I had no idea what the sole "?" on the map meant, and although I read the cache page on my computer, it didn't say anything about the cache not being at the listed coords. I asked the person who got me started geocaching what the "?" on the map meant. He didn't know either (he'd only been at it a few months). I searched thoroughly at a "?" on the map and logged my DNF.

It was several months before I figured out what the "?" on the map was all about - I stumbled across another puzzle that stated up front: "The cache is not at the listed coords - don't go there," etc. I realized then that the CO of the puzzle I had DNFd probably thought I was a stupid idiot, but it was more a question of lack of experience (and a puzzle cache page that wasn't written with newbies in mind).

I haven't read all of the posts but I must say that rarely read a cache description before I hunt. I cache alone most of the time so I have no one to read while I drive. If I have a problem I go back and read the info. I also must admit that I put important info in my cache descriptions occassionally and am very annoyed when someone "ignores" instructions or cautions that I include in the descriptions on my caches. I can't win on this one because I am guilty on both ends. I am OCD and I can't help myself. Therapy hasn't worked but I haven't been incarcerated yet.

I haven't read all of the posts but I must say that rarely read a cache description before I hunt. I cache alone most of the time so I have no one to read while I drive. If I have a problem I go back and read the info. I also must admit that I put important info in my cache descriptions occassionally and am very annoyed when someone "ignores" instructions or cautions that I include in the descriptions on my caches. I can't win on this one because I am guilty on both ends. I am OCD and I can't help myself. Therapy hasn't worked but I haven't been incarcerated yet.

Yes, but you are honest; and that counts for a lot in my opinion. And hey, if what you do works for you, then that's great ;)

I assume these are the same people who will turn in to a river or lake while driving because their "GPS told them to".

Stupidity, unfortunately, knows no bounds.

Yes, there were a few times when I got to GZ, but found myself rapidly aproaching what appeared to be private proporty, and with no immidiate cache page to reference and not always being able to remember the full details, as all I had were my notes, I'd LEAVE. I'm not going to violate terms, or search a cache that is too difficult because the cache page didn't say not to.

Guess what I'm saying is that we are all responsible for ourselves, cache page or no cache page. So if someone approached GZ with a stroller only to find it wasn't stroller friendly, that isn't the CO's problem and a complaint is out of line IMHO.

Excellent post.

Cache page or not, we all have a responsibility to obey posted signs, laws of the land, and generally to be on our best behavior. Everything shouldn't need to be spelled out for us in order for us to act appropriately.

But when it is spelled out, then you have absolutely no right to complain about it if you didn't bother to read the listing.

Edited by GeoBain

Is this cache listed a a "Traditional" cache?

Puzzle/mystery. Most people appear to have read the cache page as their comments reflect having to do research to find out what a 'rod' and a 'link' is. Some of the others clearly have not read the cache page. If they had then they wouldn't have posted comments about the cache being 100 ft off or writing about looking around the object where the listed coords take them as the starting point.

sounds to me like a Letterbox cache

Letterbox? Uh, no, not hardly. Nothing at all like a letterbox. Did you read the description of what a letterbox is? Read the description of a letterbox. Definitely not a letterbox. No stamp. The cache I described is clearly a puzzle/mystery cache, properly indicated, and clearly described on the cache page. Over 100 people have been able to read the cache page. Just a few obviously haven't from their comments.

No where did I say I didn't read the cache page before loading the coordinates. You assumed too much. What I did say is that I don't have that information in the field with me, just the coordinates. And you also assumed that I do not plan where I am going, but stumble around aimlessly. I map all the caches I am going after in an orderly fashion. Perhaps you might not try to read too much 'between the lines' before you post a response.

Sorry about that. Only the first paragraph of my post was really directed to you the second paragraph was more aimed at other posters who stated that they just go cache to cache by finding the 'next closest' in their GPSr.

In my first paragraph, I was merely suggesting that maybe you should print out the cache descriptions so that you would have them in the field. I was just pointing out that lack of paperless capability was not preventing you from having the cache descriptions in the field (as seemed to be your claim) because it never stopped me back when I did not have paperless.

If I want people to access a cache in a particular way, I make it a multi that guides them that way. Other than that, if someone can't be bothered to read the cache description for whatever reason, I'm really not interested in hearing them complain about something that's stated in the description or attributes.

If I want people to access a cache in a particular way, I make it a multi that guides them that way. Other than that, if someone can't be bothered to read the cache description for whatever reason, I'm really not interested in hearing them complain about something that's stated in the description or attributes.

+1

You know you write things in the cache description on your hide and add attributes for a reason. Some people just don't take a moment to look at them. I can put not kid friendly and they complain it is not a good place for kids. Um, no kidding that's why I put that attribute on there and put it in the description. First line of the description can say it is near private land be sure not to trespass and what do they do? Yes, trespass. you just can't win.

They complain? Where to?

If you say "It's not kid friendly", presumably you don't think you're complaining. But if they say in the log "it's not a good place for kids" they are?

Maybe they are just stating the same fact?

e.g I might put "difficult to find" or "easy find" or "it was a hot day" in my log, that's a factual statement of my experience, I'm not necessarily criticising the cache placer for the challenge he set or the weather.

You know you write things in the cache description on your hide and add attributes for a reason. Some people just don't take a moment to look at them. I can put not kid friendly and they complain it is not a good place for kids. Um, no kidding that's why I put that attribute on there and put it in the description. First line of the description can say it is near private land be sure not to trespass and what do they do? Yes, trespass. you just can't win.

Cool, you're learning that we don't all cache the same way!

I load a PQ into m y GPS and hit 'Next Nearest' and bounce from cache to cache.

I don't pull up the cache listing on my Blackberry unless I have hunted the cache and cannot find it.

Knowing that, maybe you might consider in your hides that many folks will be looking without having read the listing and place your hide either so that cachers don't need to know special considerations or hide in places such that special considerations are obvious.

Or put something in the title like "Billybob's Privet Cache (Read Listing)" that tells me to read the listing before searching the privet hedge.

I can appreciate that we dont all cache the same way. I dont use all of the new equipment. I do old school...look up things, make notes etc. However I do use the attributes as well as NOTE: on the cache page if something needs to be special noted. As far as Im concerned beyond that is up to the cacher to check. Dont get pissy with the CO & send nasty emails or log snotty comments when all of the needed info is on the cache page. (Not said here with an attitude just IMHO)

Just my 2 cents on the subject in the form of an anecdote:

I have a series in north Georgia that is a sudoku challenge. Each cache page has a reference location and you must solve the puzzle to get the cache coords. This is a portion of the standard text for every cache in the series: "In the gallery images are the two Sudoku puzzles for this challenge. Each puzzle has three yellow highlited boxes. These are the correct last three numerals of the North and West coordinates to be substituted into the coordinates listed above to find the cache location."

This is #2 (GC1ZH13) of the series the reference coords are about 100 feet from the actual cache. This is an EASY difficulty cache and all following caches get harder as the series progresses.

The anecdote was this log: "okay, I was confused, I thought I was looking for a sudoku puzzle, but never found it. We did find the cache with the clues , though, hhhmm, fun and thanks."

It seems that you can get some people read some of the text, but you can't get all of the people to read all of the text :huh:

I think there are ways to make the cache description more accessible. Using the intro field correctly for example.

I love caches with historical background. I like to go, find the cache, admire the view and then sit and read the description for what it's about. What I find difficult on my BlackBerry screen is where all the history and background info starts at the top of the page and important cache info is squeezed somewhere in the second from last paragraph (of about 10 paragraphs) so you have to scroll up down and around for ages to find what you need - doubly irritating doing multi's.

I always try with my cache descriptions to put important info at the top - parking, physical cache, rules etc, and then the history/background comes after - with the exception of puzzles obviously.

Maybe because I've always loved books, I love reading cache description pages and I love reading well-written log entries.

To me, the amazing attraction of geocaching is that someone, usually totally unknown to me, has provided a window into his or her mind by placing a geocache and making it possible for me to find it, while it remains unknown to everyone else passing nearby.

Whether it's a long historical description of the significance of this particular location, or a short funny write up full of puns, the cache description page, to me at least, is an absolutely essential part of the experience of geocaching.

Finding caches without paying any attention to the write-up by the cache owner is like opening a birthday present and ignoring the giver. Yes, it's more efficient that way, but what a lot of fun you miss!