Cheapest GPS that will work

I am looking for the cheapest (or a relatively cheap, im 13 years old ;) ) GPS but it needs to be able to work with geocaching (handles loc/gpx easy, have channels, good-ish memory) the GPS i use is built for car use and doesn't always (meaning almost never) point to the cache, it points to the nearest road...i also just started to use my phone (samsung impact, with bell) with geocaching live and it seems to be off by about 50m... thank you if you help me, thanks if you reply too

I am looking for the cheapest (or a relatively cheap, im 13 years old ;) ) GPS but it needs to be able to work with geocaching (handles loc/gpx easy, have channels, good-ish memory) the GPS i use is built for car use and doesn't always (meaning almost never) point to the cache, it points to the nearest road...i also just started to use my phone (samsung impact, with bell) with geocaching live and it seems to be off by about 50m... thank you if you help me, thanks if you reply too
Not that I wouldn't heartily recommend a purpose built hand-held unit, but if you'll tell us what make and model of automotive GPS you own, there's a chance (just a chance) we can help you to shut off the road-snap feature on that until you get your new unit.

Since you own an automotive GPS, you don't need anything with routing and street maps. That will save you a bunch.

I'd be looking for a good deal on a new or factory refurbished Garmin eTrex Venture HC. The "HC" part is important as the color screen makes it easier to use, and the "H" means it uses a decent high sensitivity GPS chip set. You can get one brand new in the box for $125 on Amazon, and refurbs can be had for as little as $108. It's a pretty basic unit, but a very reliable performer.

Not that I wouldn't heartily recommend a purpose built hand-held unit, but if you'll tell us what make and model of automotive GPS you own, there's a chance (just a chance) we can help you to shut off the road-snap feature on that until you get your new unit.

Since you own an automotive GPS, you don't need anything with routing and street maps. That will save you a bunch.

I'd be looking for a good deal on a new or factory refurbished Garmin eTrex Venture HC. The "HC" part is important as the color screen makes it easier to use, and the "H" means it uses a decent high sensitivity GPS chip set. You can get one brand new in the box for $125 on Amazon, and refurbs can be had for as little as $108. It's a pretty basic unit, but a very reliable performer.

I agree with all of the above. The cheapest I would go is the venture hc. Look carefully as the ones I saw on ebay were overpriced. When you say "geocaching (handles loc/gpx easy" if you are looking for paperless geocaching that will cost a bit more. I don't know about the cheapest for that.

Try a cheap (GBP 10, c. $15?) bluetooth GPS receiver to pair with your phone. Gives accuracy (well mine does!) equivalent to the good eTrexes and is very very cheap! Whether it would work *might* depend on whether you can turn off the internal GPS in your phone. It certainly works with my Nokia 5230.

Matt

Just bought a Garmin eTrex H from Walmart for $85. Worked well for my first find.

My first 250 finds were with a nuvi (car gps), to get me parked and the Yellow eTrex H to move in for the grab.

Then I went to a Vista HCx...I didn't see an accuracy difference, but alot more bells and whistles. With The eTrex H you have to enter waypoints manually, and no maps or POI's (custom points of interest).

I would load everthing to the Nuvi, including the cache page for almost paperless caching.

I keep the eTrex H as my backup..It works great and the batteries last forever.

I think both Garmin Vista and Venture are good choices...

I own Garmin Etrex H, so if you don't need a map, this is the best choice.

While the Vista H (closest in cost to a Venture HC) is a good unit, it does cost more, even with its black & white screen, than the Venture HC with its larger color screen. While I personally much prefer a unit with an electronic compass, it is a convenience, and raises the cost of the Vista H. Once you start talking about the Vista HC, the cost goes up a lot due to routable road maps.

You're right about the map, though. If a person doesn't care at all about having any kind of map on the display, the eTrex H comes in even cheaper than the Venture HC, and still has a decent GPS chipset.

You're right about the map, though. If a person doesn't care at all about having any kind of map on the display, the eTrex H comes in even cheaper than the Venture HC, and still has a decent GPS chipset

The problem is if you want computer connectivity. It doesn't come with the proprietary data cable and uses a serial connection. Once you add in the cost of the cable and serial/USB adapter you are above the cost of the Venture HC.

I'd advise the OP to see if he can find a used unit. Check the GPS garage sale forum here, and Ebay, If something comes up that he is interested in he might want to run it by the folk here to make sure it's a good unit at a reasonable price

Edited by briansnat

Try a cheap (GBP 10, c. $15?) bluetooth GPS receiver to pair with your phone. Gives accuracy (well mine does!) equivalent to the good eTrexes and is very very cheap! Whether it would work *might* depend on whether you can turn off the internal GPS in your phone. It certainly works with my Nokia 5230.

Most phones in North America (OP is in Canada) are very crippled in this regard. The phones that aren't are certainly out of the price range of a 13 year old who is looking for the cheapest possible handheld GPS - as is the financial risk of dropping that expensive phone in a creek.
You're right about the map, though. If a person doesn't care at all about having any kind of map on the display, the eTrex H comes in even cheaper than the Venture HC, and still has a decent GPS chipset

The problem is if you want computer connectivity. It doesn't come with the proprietary data cable and uses a serial connection. Once you add in the cost of the cable and serial/USB adapter you are above the cost of the Venture HC.

The integrated serial/USB cable can be had for cheap from a number of places, with driver on CD, for $14 or so. We post the links to those frequently here. The combined price still isn't as much as the eTrex H. As noted above, my preference for him would still be that he find himself a Venture HC.

Providing you can find someone with a used unit, all kinds of options open up if they're willing to come up with a fair price and you can trust the transaction. If I was doing the looking, I'd be after a used Summit HC, but that's just me.

Edit: read this post a couple of hours later ... typos everywhere ... need more coffee earlier in the day!

Edited by ecanderson

Amazon has the eTrex Venture HC today as a "Gold box" deal of the day today only for $99.99: LINK

Amazon has the eTrex Venture HC today as a "Gold box" deal of the day today only for $99.99: LINK