Happy Father's Day Cointest

ATMouse

Hi!

My Dad has passed...Lord, it's over 20 years ago, how can that be? - but his memory lives bright and shining in my heart.

He was a teacher by trade and by temperament. He always seemed to be teaching us something - history, nature, powertools...! :)

He and my Mom taught us to respect our environment long before any "Green movement".

So, there is a gold "Make Every Day Earth Day CITO" by CacheAddict geocoin up for grabs.

Winner picked by me, no groveling, no whining, no appeals.

This cointest starts now and will end Eastern Time, at 10 PM today. Winner to be announced tomorrow morning.

Happy Father's Day.

My dad also passed away. He provided me with my first GPS - a Lowrance iFinder. When we first started caching (when he first got sick), we would go over to his house and tell him of our finds. He was interested in everything and loved the geocoins.

He taught me so much...just the other day I commented to my mom (as I got out a compressor to fill her tire with air) that I was grateful for all those times that he asked me for my help fixing things...little did I know that he was teaching me how to be self-sufficient. All of those fishing and camping trips gave me an appreciation of nature. He gave me an appreciation of family as he (and my mom) were there for all of the important times of my life (high school graduation, college graduation, getting married, the birth of my children). He is probably also partially responsible for my geocoin addiction, since we belonged to a coin collecting club when I was little. There were time that he drove me nuts, but I would give up my GPS and all of my cache finds just to have him back again. I miss ya dad!

my dad is such a gentle giant, hes big but a big softy. he spent a large part of my teenage to mid 20s being a taxi and emergency service at all hours of the day or night without as much as a grumble, well maybe a bit of a grumble and a sweary mumble but he still did these things despite me treating him like a prize fool. he could quite as easily told me to sort things out myself as i got myself into these problems i should get myself out of them, but he never did. yes i used to get moaned at for the late night phone calls for help from the side of the road somewhere miles away but he was always there for me.

what did i do in return? keep excluding him (and my mum) out of my life and being cold and almost mean, except for when i got myself in financial or car difficulties.

despite all this he still acted like a gentleman that he is.

all i can say is, i wish i had his temperament as most things dont seem to bother him deeply.

dad im sorry for my teenage years of abuse to you, i know im still not perfect even now with my inability to forgive and forget stupid minor arguments, but i love you dad, im just not the type to say that sort of thing in person.

happy fathers day to everyone

Well, I am in the lucky position to say, that my dad is still alive.

Through the years we shared many hobbies, such as model trains, fishing, and many more. Unfortunately I had to move far far away because of job issiues. That´s why we do not have that much time to share at the time being.

The most important thing I think he taught me, is to be an independant being that is able to take care of himself. Today I see so many kids and young adults that can not take care of themselves, it´s a shame...

So I really think this is the most important thing. Of course a large Thank u goes to my mom for this too :)

Edited to add: Thank u for running this cointest. :lol:

Edited by Tschakko

My father is still alive today which I thank god for and savor everyday. My condolences to those not as fortunate.

He taught me that I can do anthing if I work hard enough. As it turns out I'm hard worker and have done ok.

Probably the thing that comes up the most is that the older I get the smarter they were. Didn't seem that way growing up while I still knew everything =)

I'll be calling Dad when he gets home from church to wish him a happy fathers day and to tell him I love him.

Happy fathers day all, Phish_bonz :)

Thanks AT for the cointest and allowing use to publicly thanks our fathers; I’ve loved the stories and look forward to read many more.

My father passed away in 1960, I was 8, there are not a lot of memories that I can remember that are happy but there is a defining memory of pure happiness dare I say pleasure, a day, an hour that I hope everyone has with their parents.

Dad was a gold miner which unfortunately made him ill, way before the days of health and safety, but we had a small farm and there were some lovely forested area with a creek that was near to our home. This is my defining memory, a day hike with dad and all my buddies following behind. As we walked, he would stop us and point out or tell us of some fact or spot to fish from, I can remember hanging on his every word. This just may be the reason why I enjoy caching as much as I do, the walks in our Simcoe Forests are by far my favourite cache to do and it always brings me back to that 6 or 7 year old that had such a special day with his father.

Thanks Dad, miss you.

I'm fortunate that my Dad is still alive, too. He's taught me a bunch of stuff, but the one thing that sticks out in my head is a nugget of wisdom about what happens with smart people are bored.

He's a University Professor, my Dad, and got caught up in some pretty vicious departmental politics (mostly revolving around certain parties' objection to him getting tenure). He remarked to me, at the time: "What you've got is a bunch of highly-educated, very intelligent people, who spend most of their time hanging around people who are not very smart*. They're bored, so they invent these labrythian Byzantine politics to entertain themselves."

*By this he means, of course, students. Who may very well be extremely intelligent, but are still (relatively) uneducated and, of course, unexperienced (therefore, still in the process of becoming, in the immortal words of the BEST MOVIE DAD EVER**, "interesting").

**Sean Connery as Professor Jones from "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade", of course.

So anyway, the reason why this stuck with me is because I have now seen it for myself, again and again. When people in the Navy, for example, get themselves worked up into a frothy rage about this thing or another or start messing around in other departments' business about one thing or another, I step back and say "ah hah. I know what's going on. They're smart, and they're bored." Let me tell you, the ability to recognize this objectively has done wonders for my stress levels.

And all from an off-hand comment made by my Dad. Thank you for being so incredibly smart (and not bored), Dad!

Thanks for the cointest, and thanks everyone for your stories about your fathers -- they're wonderful. : )

My dad was a second world war veteran. He got into the canadian army at 16 to earn money for Christmas gifts. He never wanted to talk about his experience, not wanting to remember the horror of the war.

He was a gentle man, GOOD father, extremely patient and rarely got angry. He did everything by himself and thought us everything he knew.

He had an cerebrovascular accident in 98 in Florida recovered well and an blood on his brain in 2004 and died on remembrance day, november 11 2004 at age 83.

Happy father's day Dad, I miss you very much each day

XXX

My dad is an a**. He's a raging alcoholic, a pitiful old man with no friends except those at the bar. He refuses to be a part of my or my familys life. He has only met my 20 month old baby once. And that was when my uncle was in town and He called to meet him. I am glad all of you have a good father. Hopefully I can keep up my ways of NOT being like my father and be the best one I can be.

Thanks and Happy Fathers Day

I'm not entering the cointest but thanks for having one :lol:

Happy Father's Day, I hope all you dads enjoy your special day.

I'll be sharing the day with my dad here shortly ;) I'll be sure to give my dad 2 hugs, 1 for me and one in honor of those whose dad's are no longer with us.

I grew up in a Military Family, so having traveled the world as a family of four (dad, mom, brother and me), we're a very tight-knit circle. I can not imagine a day with either of my parents no longer here.

Here are some things I learned from my dad B)

1. Be honest and true to yourself.

2. Live your life with integrity.

3. Do what you love, life's too short to be unhappy.

4. Never be afraid to show love, people need to feel loved and cared for.

5. Be a good listener, it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt :)

6. Live your life to the fullest, no time for regrets.

7. Never take him fishing with me, we never catch anything when we fish together.

8. Never walk down the long driveway at night to get the mail. He'll hide in the bushes and scare the crap out of you on your way back.

9. Never "pull his finger".

10. Don't talk to him after the Griz lose (which thankfully isn't much).

11. If you have a weak stomach, don't eat his "sliders" at hunting camp or sleep in the same camper that night.

12. If you like to throw your money away, play cribbage with him.

13. If you want a really good laugh, watch him dance.

14. If you want a gut wrenching laugh, watch him dance to the "Macarena".

15. If you need a day where you just want to feel good about yourself and life, hang out with him. There isn't a better "pick me up" on the planet.

I'm a pretty lucky kid ;)

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

My father has passed away. He taught me so many things and I am proud to be a lot like him. He taught me family is what is important and don't wait until some day to do the things you want to do. He was a family man, a hard worker and he made the decision to wait until he retired to do the things he wanted to do. He died of cancer the year before he would of retired. He was told how long he would have and he spent his time with his family because we was what was important to him. But he wanted his children to realize if there is something that is important to us, not to wait to do it but to just do it. He taught me about integrity, God gave me two hands, one for helping myself and one for helping others. My father was never judgmental, he thought everyone should just be who they should be.

I didn't realize until he was gone, just how much he did teach me and how much I relied on him. If I have a problem I still talk to him in my head and an answer always pops into my head.

He didn't live long enough to see his grandsons. One is 5 and the other one will be 2 weeks tomorrow but he would of loved them. They will know him through my daughter and myself. My oldest grandson is named after him and he has so many of my fathers wonderful qualities. The most important thing he taught and my grandson does is you have to hold your tongue just so when tackling a problem. I laugh every time Guy does it.

Happy Fathers Day, Dad. You are always with me.

Great idea! My father and I used to wander the woods in the Netherlands when I was a kid and learned me to protect and respect nature. That's why I love the outdoor life. He's 74 years old now and can't get used to walk with GPS, he loves real maps better. And cellphones even so, to little to handle he says.

We'll, I guess I'll donate this geocoin to him when I hit this cointest and probably he'll enjoying Geocaching even more!!!

My dad is an a**. He's a raging alcoholic, a pitiful old man with no friends except those at the bar. He refuses to be a part of my or my familys life. He has only met my 20 month old baby once. And that was when my uncle was in town and He called to meet him. I am glad all of you have a good father. Hopefully I can keep up my ways of NOT being like my father and be the best one I can be.

This made me cry. It's so sad. I'm sorry that your dad was not there for you. No one should have such an awful father. In the end maybe he taught you the most important lesson of all. What kind of person not to be. Hugs.

Oh!!! Father's day and a cointest!! :D Firstly thank you my friend for the cointest! :)

Happy father's day!!!

My father is alive! He is 73 years young! :D Yes! if you see him... you will say... no... he is surelly younger! :D He still has black hair... and... probably more hair than me on his head!!! ;)

He and my mother, were and still are great teachers! They teach (still helping in some things) of Life, reality.... and both, me and my sister are who we are becasue of them! :)

Anyway... My father teached me to be honest, kind, true and helpful!

To do what ever I can to help others, friends, relatives or even strangers! If I can help... I will do it!

He teached me to live my life, but at the same time to be careful! To face things and problems, to be patient, and to respect older, younger, nature....

He is my good friend and we talk even if I have a problem! He is talking to me, giving his opinion but not forcing me to follow his way! I will choose! He is trying to help and I really appreciate this a lot, especially in hard times! I learned that too, so I am trying to be a good friend or companion too!

He never says no to me! he follows my hobbies, so many times you will see him with me in geocaching too! :D

He taught me history, the unknown one... because he remembers things about the WWII! he was a child but he remembers so many things!!!

Once he was telling me about a German airplane in WWII in Leros island that was hitted by the Britts and fell in the sea! The airplane has just droped parachutists but one was truped on the tail of the airplane and went with the plane in the sea! This happent almost in front of his eyes!!!

Some years ago... a diver found an airplane and they took it out! the story was writen in a magazine! It was the story my father had told me!!!!

and so many others.....

He teached me how to collect coins and banknotes and he gave me his small collection of coins! He gave me my first banknote too!

In phonecards.... he is coming with me when I go for a walk to see if there are any empty cards left in the telephones.... :D So.... you can imagine!

By watching him I learned a lot in other things too.... but how can I post all these!!! :D

I love him very much!! I love my mother very much too! They are good parents, good friends, good companions in my hobbies...

I hope one day to be like my father! B)

Oh!!!! I am deeply sorry my friend! I really do not know what to say!!! Sometimes life is.... ;)

Be sure he teached you something with his.... way! NOT to be like him!

You know from first hand all that so... be the best father you can for your baby!!!

Right now... you are the father!!! Be the one who after some years you child will admire! :) Be the father you didn't have a chance to have!

Happy fathers day my friend!

My father was always a great provider. We always had everything we needed, but he has not much of a "friend" sort of dad. He didn't teach me how to drive. I felt like an idiot the whole time he was "teaching" me how to throw. I was afraid to go to him for help with my homework.

But he DID teach me the invaluable lesson of working hard for the things I want in life. That is a lesson that I will never forget, and that I am trying to instill in my children as well. However, I am not afraid to get on the floor and play with my boys, get dirty or silly with them. That is another lesson that he indirectly taught me. Knowing that I missed out on that with my dad, I really wanted my kids to enjoy time with their father. And 9 years into that project, I can really tell that they do.

My relationship with him is much better now - now that I have stopped longing for what i don't have, and realizing that he is who he is, and I can choose to enjoy that or still be unhappy. That was an easy choice to make, once I thought about it.

Thanx for the cointest!

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there. ;)

My father taught me many things even though my M+D divorced when I was about 6.

We spent summers with him on the dairy farm in Manitoba - he taught me how to milk a cow (not much use these days :) ), how to drive a tractor and one of my favorites - how to fix a leaking gas tank.

The farm truck had a split in the seam of the gas tank. Dad got a bar of soap and started scraping it into the small crack. Sure enough, it sealed up the hole and allowed him to drive to the service station to get it fixed. I was around 12 then. Around 12 years later, I was was in the back woods on logging roads working for the Geological Survey of Canada. It was an amazing summers work. Two of us were making our way up quite an old logging road and we went over an old tree limb that snapped up and smashed the gas tank. We got out to look and sure enough, we had split the seam of the gas tank. We were probably 25-30 km off any main road.

My Dad's old trick came to my mind. Unfortunately, soap was not really something we carried around on our truck traverses. Lucky for us, this was before lunch - I dug into my lunch bag and pulled out a big chunk of cheddar cheese. :)

Under the truck and start mushing the cheese into the crack. Sure enough it began to stop the leak and after a few more pushes with the cheese, the gas stopped coming out.

We made it out and to a service station for repairs. Thanks Dad!!

Dad is 73 now and had a pretty serious scare with colon cancer a few years ago. After operations and all the other fun stuff, he has been given a clean bill of health. I took him fishing to the Queen Charlotte Islands a couple years ago and we really had a few good bonding days. Growing up, I only saw him in the summer months, so it was a good chance to know him as a man and not just a Dad.

Happy Father's Day Dad!!

I didn't have my step dad until I was an adult and he passed away a few years ago. When you asked Ron how things were he was "Great and Wonderfull".During the 15 years that he was my step dad he taught me many important things such as how to change and plug a tire, change the oil in my car, how to change a light fixture, how to fix a leaky tap. But most important he taught me that hugs are great, and that I could do what I set out to do. He also taught me that biology doesn't always make a "DAD".Ron was a great dad and grandpa and I am so gratefull that I had him in my life

My father, who is still alive to this date, and will live for a long time afterwards (he is 68 right now, in excellent health), I have to consider my best friend in life. He is the type of person who will just walk up to kids and chat with them. Now, this can be embarrassing at times, but I know where he comes from, being his son and all. He currently drives a school bus, where he can interact with children and enrich their lives every day. I believe that he is making up to kids as he could never seem to get along with his older children from a different marriage. They still currently do not see eye to eye.

He has always been there when I needed him. When I fell off my bicycle and had three small pieces of gravel embedded in my knee in the wound, instead of rushing me to the hospital, he took them out himself. I always ran my school essays through him for his insight, as he is great with words. He always involved me with house projects, no matter how time-consuming and difficult, because he wanted me to learn a few things about fixing things around the house. Of course, I didn't like it then, but now that I own a house on my own, I know how valuable that knowledge is. Whenever I need a helping hand with any project, large or small, he is always the first person to lend me a hand. The first time I was in a car accident, which totalled my car, he blew off work and drove right to the accident site. I had hydroplaned on the left side of the highway and spun out in the middle of the road, then was T-boned by a semi. Another few inches to the front of the car and I would've been meat. Now imagine him getting in that car and driving it back home. He then lent me the rest of the money (interest free) to purchase a new car. Took me four years to pay him off, but never once did he want extra money. When I graduated college and there was no need for the rest of the money, he gave it to me as a birthday present, whereas many parents would just keep the excess.

One of my favorite stories of his is when the draft was instituted for the Vietnam War. When he went in to fill out his draft card, it was uneventful. When his name came up in the draft, he received a notification that he was not eligible for the draft. Why? The clerk who took his information down accidentally put his birthday down as the date he registered for the draft!

When he bought me my first video game console, he would sit down with me nearly every day and play games with me. (At least until I got too good at them! ;) ) His work would give him free Royals tickets, and he always got the game that was on my birthday, so for many years I got to go to the ballpark and watch them play. Whenever I am out of town nowadays he will take care of my house, including my yardwork, when I have an extended trip for business. He will sit at my house if I need something repaired during the day so I don't have to take off work.

He has had some health problems, which has allowed me to avoid and prepare for certain things. I can remember when he was having heart problems in 2001. He was in the hospital multiple times as his heart was going into atrial fibrillation at least once a week. I had just received my license the previous year, so I had to go pick him up several times. The last time I did, I could see him slipping away from me. From that point forward, I knew I had to spend as much time with him as you will never know when your father will pass away, and I don't want to miss a single moment with him. My mom eventually had to force the hospital to put in a pacemaker as the doctors were going to just give him some more drugs (as required by the insurance company). He also ran several laps at the local high school every day, causing him to require a knee replacement surgery on his right knee (based on the direction he was running). I will not run when I am outside working out.

Some people would say I am 'too dependent' on my dad. Not too many people would consider their dad one of their best friends. So I respond by asking how much time they spend with thier friends. Every time we see each other, we greet each other with a big bear hug. It will be a very sad day in my life when my dad passes away, and I already know he will leave a large hole in my life.

And as always, thanks for the cointest, and Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there, and especially to my dad.

Edited by jadefalcon

This made me cry. It's so sad. I'm sorry that your dad was not there for you. No one should have such an awful father. In the end maybe he taught you the most important lesson of all. What kind of person not to be. Hugs.

+1

I know that some people exist only as a lesson to others of how not to behave, but I am so sorry that the major figure of this type in your life is your father. : ( : ( : (

First of all I'd like to express my condolances to those that have lost their Dads. My biological father passed away when I was 2, but my mom re-married and I was fortunate enough to end up with the GREATEST Dad known to man! He's the only Dad I've ever know and in some weird way I'm glad. I can't immagine life without him.

As for what he taught me, there is not enough time between now and 10pm to list it all! So I will stick to the biggest lesson I learned: ALWAYS put others first! I think human nature automatically makes us think of ourselves, but when we go out of our way for others our life becomes richer than all the money in the world.

Identifying all the ways that a parent can influence you is not an easy task. When I think about the influence my father has had, a few things in particular come to mind.

I probably would not be geocaching if it weren't for the deep appreciation for the outdoors and exploration that my father instilled. His father was a military man. Fought in WWII. Talking about it with him was not an option. This also resulted in my father not being allowed to join Boy Scouts due his father's belief that it was a youth version of the military (or something along those lines). When I was old enough, my father got me into Scouting. He got involved as well, even more so as I closed in on Boy Scouts. We had a lot of adventures together, and I am forever grateful for the many opportunities I had as a result of this. It also meant that my father and I developed a stronger bond through those experiences. You don't really think about that as a kid, but looking back, it played a big influence on who I am and what my interests are.

My appreciation of the value of family definitely came from all around, both mother and father. So I can't really single him out entirely for that. But his importance in those values is undeniable. It can be seen in the way that my father has been there for me all my life. Help, advice, support. All important aspects of this role he has played.

When I first hit the working world, he was there to help me learn the system. With his experience in hiring employees, he was there to pass on his knowledge. He has been there to provide me financial advice from his reservoir of financial experience when needed. And his work has helped to provide me with a stable life growing up, teaching me both the value of money (even though I haven't ALWAYS followed that guidance in the past...amazing how you learn to appreciate that as you get older) as well as respect for those who weren't as well off. I spent a lot of time when I was younger doing volunteer work as a result of that.

Even when being punished I was learning. Whether it was the times I got spanked as a kid, or the times I spent learning to manage my ADHD inspired behavior through countless timeouts, groundings, etc., etc. (which of course I felt was applied without regard to my VERY important "It's not my fault/I don't deserve this/YOU'RE WRONG!" point of view at that time).

Would I be the person I am without his influence? I'm not sure anyone can really say that a parent hasn't influenced them. Even a parent who isn't there influences you in some way. So I am forever grateful for these influences, and many, many others.

Happy Father's Day.

Edited by TripCyclone

My dad died on March 2, 2010 after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease. Because of the frozen ground we didn't bury him until June 4th.

Dad was a mechanical engineer and always had a project of some sort going on in the garage. He taught me to be self sufficient. If I wanted something done I had to learn to do it myself. I have more tools than a lot of guys and know how to use them all. I didn't realize then that that was what he was doing but I do realize it now. Having grown up in the Depression Dad didn't waste much of anything. I recently found myself thinking "Dad would be proud of me" when during a home improvement project I wouldn't throw anything away until the project was completed. I know as Dad did that those small pieces of left over wood would come in handy. LOL

I gave an eulogy at the memorial service and writing this I am remembering some of the words I said. I'm sorry but I can't write anymore right now as this is too close to home and its the first Father's Dad without him.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads! Give your dad an extra hug for me....

This was a tough choice, so I bailed out of ONE choice and added another geocoin ( the Coins and Pins production of the "Crotalusrex and Mimichan Box Turtle/Rattlesnake Wildlife geocoin") and (coward that I am) ran it thru a random numbers generator.

I got #9 (CITO geocoin) and #18 (Wildlife geocoin)

If you would both PM me your mailing addresses, I'll get these geocoins out today if I can.

Some of you made me laugh, some of you made me cry. Thanks for participating.

This was a tough choice, so I bailed out of ONE choice and added another geocoin ( the Coins and Pins production of the "Crotalusrex and Mimichan Box Turtle/Rattlesnake Wildlife geocoin") and (coward that I am) ran it thru a random numbers generator.

I got #9 (CITO geocoin) and #18 (Wildlife geocoin)

If you would both PM me your mailing addresses, I'll get these geocoins out today if I can.

Some of you made me laugh, some of you made me cry. Thanks for participating.

Wa-hoo!! I was post #18!! Thanx for the cointest! I really appreciate your generosity, and enjoyed reading the stories posted by the other participants.

I sent you an email through your profile. Thanx again, and congrats to the other winner as well!

I love my dad. I can honestly say that most of my greatest moments were with him. He has taught most of what I know about life and everything about being a man.

1. "Don't half-a** your work" or in other words.... anything worth doing is worth doing right.

2. Do what makes you happy... even if it means getting lost in the woods and walking around in circles in search of a plastic container.

3. Be responsible for your own actions.

4. Blood is thicker than water.

We had a great picnic yesterday. Me and my dad swam and horsed around in the pool... played cornhole... and ate some great food.

Thanks for the cointest!

i know im late but i thought i might as well post late better then never...

my dad was the same way,, my mom and dad couldent be around eachother for 5 min befor they started to fight.. i learned like you how to be a father from what i did not get from my father.. tho the one thing is... and let me tell you if you havent done this you might consider it ..'

my dad passed away when i was in my late teens..on st pactricks day.. i still have so many regrets of what i was never able to say..there is alot on my chest when it comes to the subject of my so called dad..or more less sperm doner any way my advice is if you have anything good or bad to say to you A** father...just say it!! i deeply wish i coulda got all the things off my chest i wanted to say and have so many things i woulda done if i would have had the chance. but due to a pint of schnapps every day he died in his early 50s. oh and the pain he caused me will never go away.. i dont think anyway... so like i say,, if you have ANYTHING you want to say to your father say it,, before its too late and your filled with regret like i am.

i love my lil girl and promised myself along time before i ever had her id allway be there for her,, and 3 yrs in ive held up my promise and going strong!! i couldent imagine a day go by with out her!!

so happy late fathers day too all the good fathers out there who are there for their kids, and to the ones who choose not to be.. your kid will pay for that in the long run!! trust me when i say that!